Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Make sure you remove your tags. "Can I drive it home first?" NOPE. Not on my tags.

The only caveat here is that this may vary based on the state. California in most cases the plates stay with the car and new owner. Arizona they absolutely do not, and I've had buyers who either were naïve and from CA, or were just trying to get away with some poo poo, act shocked when I told them that no, the plates are coming off now. Oddly I've only once had a private-party seller pull the plates before I drove off.

The most I'd deal with an electronic transaction would be as a deposit of no more than $500 or so, but even then the answer should be "show up with cash if you want the car that bad". The TOS on Paypal / Venmo / Zelle / etc are just too vague for me to want to deal with that as a sole means of receiving money for a car.

Alternative option might be using Tred. Darchangel sold a car through them recently and if I recall was damned happy about it. They act as an escrow service so that takes away a lot of the risk in terms of money/title exchange, with the main downside being you pay a $199 escrow fee. But then they make it easier for the buyer to pay using things other than straight cash, so that's something to factor in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DesperateDan posted:

If you switch to a manual and you park facing uphill then leave it parked in forward gear (I was told third but not sure it matters), facing downhill leave it in a reverse gear- gives you a bit of peace of mind, not sure if there's an automatic transmission equivalent
Careful, you should put it in first gear facing downhill, and reverse gear facing uphill. Basically, use a gear that you would use to travel in the direction the car would be likely to roll, this is so that if it does move, the engine rotates the normal direction.

If you do it the other way round, the engine would rotate backwards, which 99% of the time will make no difference whatsoever, but in some instances could potentially gently caress with the tensioner for the timing belt/chain, and lead to a skipped tooth, which has the risk of an expensive mechanical failure.

It's a fractional chance of it happening, but no reason to risk it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I have had issues with large transactions (not car related, but still multiple thousands of dollars) on both Venmo and Paypal, do not trust those for more than like $300. The companies will take/not release the money and hold it for months before you provide enough evidence to show what you were doing.

Cash or certified check where you either call the bank then and there or go to your bank with the other guy and deposit it that instant.

The last one of these I did on Facebook marketplace, we met at my credit union parking lot, he gave me the certified check and we both went into the bank while I deposited it. It got him on camera and ensured the money was good.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

InitialDave posted:

Careful, you should put it in first gear facing downhill, and reverse gear facing uphill. Basically, use a gear that you would use to travel in the direction the car would be likely to roll, this is so that if it does move, the engine rotates the normal direction.

If you do it the other way round, the engine would rotate backwards, which 99% of the time will make no difference whatsoever, but in some instances could potentially gently caress with the tensioner for the timing belt/chain, and lead to a skipped tooth, which has the risk of an expensive mechanical failure.

It's a fractional chance of it happening, but no reason to risk it.
I've always heard the exact opposite with the reason being that it's harder to get a four stroke engine to rotate backwards and impossible for some combination of electrical faults and/or stupidity to result in a vehicle effectively push starting itself.

Obviously also a fractional chance of it happening, unless you happen to live in a slapstick movie universe where cars get left in gear with the keys in the ignition at the top of hills all the time, but it seems more plausible to me than skipping timing on any vehicle that wasn't already on the edge of doing so.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wolrah posted:

I've always heard the exact opposite with the reason being that it's harder to get a four stroke engine to rotate backwards

It's not harder in any meaningful way. In most cars the only thing that might make the engine a little more resistant to spinning backwards would be the profile of the camshafts, and that's a tiny difference.

Also the risk of it skipping timing while spinning backwards is miniscule. Really only the gear ratio matters; the lower the gear, the more times the engine would have to turn over for each wheel revolution, and thus the greater the resistance. In my car first gear is slightly lower than reverse so that's the best choice in all situations, no matter which way the car is facing.

Ultimately I think it's just something like oil brand arguments, where everyone has a strong opinion and an exaggerated idea of the horrible things that will happen if you make the wrong choice, but actually there's next to no difference for all practical purposes.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I want to get a Jeep Wrangler. Are there any preferred models/year etc.? Anything to look out for when looking at used Jeeps?
I'm thinking something new-ish but not brand new model, but also can't decide between one or two door. Any suggestions welcome. I've never had one before, but want to try something different from my Mitsu Pajero.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

InitialDave posted:

Also, turn the steering wheel so that, in the unlikely event that the car does let go, it turns it into the curb/off the road rather than steers into traffic.

Source: driver’s Ed, 1978

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I want to get a Jeep Wrangler. Are there any preferred models/year etc.? Anything to look out for when looking at used Jeeps?
I'm thinking something new-ish but not brand new model, but also can't decide between one or two door. Any suggestions welcome. I've never had one before, but want to try something different from my Mitsu Pajero.

why not wait until Broncos become available? They’ll be marginally more reliable than the Wrangler at that point

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Ok Comboomer posted:

why not wait until Broncos become available? They’ll be marginally more reliable than the Wrangler at that point

I'm not in the US, I'm in a country where they won't become available for a long time, and has no electric infrastructure. I also just want a used car. Edit: Broncos aren't even available in my country, I have never seen one. I like the square look of the wrangler.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 29, 2021

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Lascivious Sloth posted:

what you want to do with it? if i was after a wrangler it'd be 2dr and old enough to still have the 4.0, but it really depends on your use case/preferences more than anything

here's pretty much the newest one i still think is cool

e: 2006 is when they quit using it

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

pnac attack posted:

what you want to do with it? if i was after a wrangler it'd be 2dr and old enough to still have the 4.0, but it really depends on your use case/preferences more than anything

here's pretty much the newest one i still think is cool

maybe something like these which I think are 2020 models?

I like the look of the 2 door rubicon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Also, turn the steering wheel so that, in the unlikely event that the car does let go, it turns it into the curb/off the road rather than steers into traffic.

Source: driver’s Ed, 1978

Oh that one is still very relevant.

Facing downhill, with or without a curb: turn the wheels towards the curb/shoulder so that they catch on the curb, or the car roll forwards and turns off the road.
Facing uphill with a curb: turn the wheels away from the curb so that if it rolls backwards they hook and catch.
Facing uphill without a curb: turn the wheels towards the shoulder so that the nose swings out and the car backs itself off the road.

In San Francisco, with all the hills, the meter maids will give you a ticket for not curbing your wheels or for doing it the wrong direction for the situation.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I'm not in the US, I'm in a country where they won't become available for a long time, and has no electric infrastructure. I also just want a used car. Edit: Broncos aren't even available in my country, I have never seen one. I like the square look of the wrangler.

Dude! You live abroad? There are so many worthwhile Toyotas for you to look at instead

Like, I’m ragging on Jeep a little bit, but they’re not exactly famed for reliability beyond a few specific models that stopped production at like the end of the 90s/early 2000s.

I’ve heard of a handful of ppl having post-2010 Wranglers/etc in places like Europe and abroad and their stories make it sound like a loving nightmare trying to get service and parts for a vehicle that will need at least some.

And god forbid you need something major replaced (axles, drivetrain, etc) on a car that’s already easily going to cost you probably upwards of $30,000, or even in excess of $70,000+ depending on year, used status, and where you live.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 29, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You do realize that resale on a 2020 Wrangler is almost exactly MSRP right now? Wranglers have always held strong resale but in the current market they're just obscene. There's an ex-rental 2018 Rubicon for sale near me that's literally only $5k off of MSRP after three years and nearly 30,000 miles (and a small lift).

The biggest problems with Wranglers transcends specific years, anyway. They're loud, they have terrible road manners, they suck down gas, they're slow. The current generation JL Wranglers are the least bad in all of these regards, but the difference between a 1987 YJ and a 2020 JL is smaller than the difference between a 2020 JL and nearly anything else.

I love my expensive slow shitbox Wrangler.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Ok Comboomer posted:

Dude! You live abroad? There are so many worthwhile Toyotas for you to look at instead

Like, I’m ragging on Jeep a little bit, but they’re not exactly famed for reliability beyond a few specific models that stopped production at like the end of the 90s/early 2000s.

I’ve heard of a handful of ppl having post-2010 Wranglers/etc in places like Europe and abroad and their stories make it sound like a loving nightmare trying to get service and parts for a vehicle that will need at least some.

And god forbid you need something major replaced (axles, drivetrain, etc) on a car that’s already easily going to cost you probably upwards of $30,000, or even in excess of $70,000+ depending on year, used status, and where you live.

Well I'm in the middle east in a war torn country, so yeah there are Toyotas everywhere. I think most cars here maintain their second hand value quite well. I've had my Pajero for years now and i'll only lose a few K off re-selling it.

Honestly I just like the look of the wrangler, But I do want something reliable for normal road-use and SOME harder terrain, but not much. What would be an equivelent Toyota in size and look, then? I dont want a massive "gently caress off" 4WD, but a one or two door wrangler sized vehicle.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Jeep's overseas support is generally as close to nonexistent as they can legally have, so I'll join the chorus of not buying a Wrangler unless you're in, like, Brazil. (They have enough presence in Brazil to manufacture entire market-specific vehicles.)

e: To put this in a very applicable perspective, Jeep Mideast doesn't even have navigation updates for many of their vehicles. And that's a practically zero-effort thing to provide. Some of them don't even have Middle East maps to begin with, so you just get to drive around in a vast featureless brown screen every day. From friends in the area, dealers are incompetent, independent mechanics don't know what to do with them, and it's near-impossible to get parts in any timely fashion even in the not-war-torn countries.

Not wanting a Pajero is totally valid, but you might as well make it something you can keep on the road.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 29, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I saw a bunch of those Fiat made ones last time I was in Europe.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I was given a Jeep Compass by Hertz in Florence when someone had put gas in the diesel A2 we had booked.

Did not break down on me but not a very fun car for driving narrow roads in Amalfi

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Molten Llama posted:

Jeep's overseas support is generally as close to nonexistent as they can legally have, so I'll join the chorus of not buying a Wrangler unless you're in, like, Brazil. (They have enough presence in Brazil to manufacture entire market-specific vehicles.)

e: To put this in a very applicable perspective, Jeep Mideast doesn't even have navigation updates for many of their vehicles. And that's a practically zero-effort thing to provide. Some of them don't even have Middle East maps to begin with, so you just get to drive around in a vast featureless brown screen every day. From friends in the area, dealers are incompetent, independent mechanics don't know what to do with them, and it's near-impossible to get parts in any timely fashion even in the not-war-torn countries.

Not wanting a Pajero is totally valid, but you might as well make it something you can keep on the road.

Fair enough. What else do you suggest? The Toyota's available all look pretty meh. The only one that looks kind of nice is the Rav4. The Ford Bronco for this year looks pretty cool and similar shape to Jeep, but can't get them here and I want a used car, not paying full price. The roads here suck, so something with good suspension would be important.

Actually maybe I can find Ford Bronco. I've just never seen it on the road or noticed- i'll take a look around. Is a 2019/2020 Ford bronco a good compromise on a Jeep? Reliable, good suspension, can escape ISIS if I need to run away? hah

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 29, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Honestly I just like the look of the wrangler, But I do want something reliable for normal road-use and SOME harder terrain, but not much. What would be an equivelent Toyota in size and look, then? I dont want a massive "gently caress off" 4WD, but a one or two door wrangler sized vehicle.

OMG dude then you definitely do not want to spend the equivalent of $90,000 US dollars importing or special-buying a recent model year Rubicon.

Wranglers used to be small and cute but they’re loving massive now, p much the size of any mid-to-full-size SUV plus the fenders and the spare...and that’s before you look at lifts or modifications/big wheels/etc that turn them into veritable tanks.

With any Toyota more hardcore than a RAV4 you’ll have a much easier time with aftermarket + maintenance or making it look more “adventure-y”.

If you really want to get into the weeds you could take somebody’s used work truck and put a few mild and tasteful changes on it to make it your own—truly the most “Jeep owner” of all things.

Honestly, every American Wrangler owner wishes they had the timeless cool of a Hillux with a bed rack on it. Maybe put some fog lights on the front and a tasteful stripe and you’re in Marty McFly territory.

Charles posted:

I saw a bunch of those Fiat made ones last time I was in Europe.

And people pay Porsche 911 money to have them.

Seriously, there’s a guy in Portugal in one of the other car forums I frequent who just took delivery of one of like five Gladiator Rubicons in that whole part of Europe and he says he paid “low six figures, but I’d rather have this than a sports car”.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Fair enough. What else do you suggest? The Toyota's available all look pretty meh. The only one that looks kind of nice is the Rav4. The Ford Bronco for this year looks pretty cool and similar shape to Jeep, but can't get them here and I want a used car, not paying full price. The roads here suck, so something with good suspension would be important.

Actually maybe I can find Ford Bronco. I've just never seen it on the road or noticed- i'll take a look around. Is a 2019/2020 Ford bronco a good compromise on a Jeep? Reliable, good suspension, can escape ISIS if I need to run away? hah

I am wildly blown away that you are in the middle east, land of Land Cruiser, and you are looking at Jeeps of all things. Is there some reason a Land Cruiser isn't a thing you are interested in? Is it just looks? Because Land Cruisers are, by far, the most reliable, dependable vehicles that have ever traversed this earth, only rivaled by another Toyota, the Hilux. This isn't even a contest, I truly mean it. The whole Toyota War, technicals, those are Toyotas. For a reason. You want a 70 series, and you probably even have the short wheelbase ones available too.

Ok Comboomer posted:

OMG dude then you definitely do not want to spend the equivalent of $90,000 US dollars importing or special-buying a recent model year Rubicon.

Honestly, every American Wrangler owner wishes they had the timeless cool of a Hillux with a bed rack on it. Maybe put some fog lights on the front and a tasteful stripe and you’re in Marty McFly territory.

This, essentially. I have literally made a business (as have many other people and companies) importing RHD Toyotas from Japan and reselling them here in the USA for big money. The Toyotas that you just..have, in the middle east.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
95% of Jeeps are still out there on the roads...and fields...and canyons...and valleys...and forests...and mountains of the world. And the remaining 5% were able to drive back home

one more...

If you wanna get out to the bush in style, you take a Jeep

If you wanna get into the bush in style, you take a Land Rover

If you wanna get back out of the bush in style, and home for dinner, you take a Toyota Cruisah’
- spoken with an Outback trail guide accent

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think the new Suzuki jimny looks pretty darn cool

Dunno if it in any way suits your needs OP but it's a capable little 4x4 and it looks badass

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
how do people feel about Tacomas with aftermarket Hilux badges? super cool or super cringe?

spankmeister posted:

Dunno if it in any way suits your needs OP but it's a capable little 4x4 and it looks badass

:hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ok Comboomer posted:

how do people feel about Tacomas with aftermarket Hilux badges? super cool or super cringe?

:hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes:

Well since the Tacoma is not a Hilux, cringe.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Well since the Tacoma is not a Hilux, cringe.

better or worse than people stealing valor with Red Honda/R or //M badging?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

KakerMix posted:

I am wildly blown away that you are in the middle east, land of Land Cruiser, and you are looking at Jeeps of all things. Is there some reason a Land Cruiser isn't a thing you are interested in? Is it just looks? Because Land Cruisers are, by far, the most reliable, dependable vehicles that have ever traversed this earth, only rivaled by another Toyota, the Hilux. This isn't even a contest, I truly mean it. The whole Toyota War, technicals, those are Toyotas. For a reason. You want a 70 series, and you probably even have the short wheelbase ones available too.

This, essentially. I have literally made a business (as have many other people and companies) importing RHD Toyotas from Japan and reselling them here in the USA for big money. The Toyotas that you just..have, in the middle east.

I'm not a fan of the Hilux's here, they mostly have the fire strip on the side and its synonymous with extermists rovinging around with guns mounted to the back.

for the 70, do you mean something like this?

I like this a lot, if it was just plain white, but I don't want a tray.

This with a hardtop would be nice:

spankmeister posted:

yeah, that looks nice. it seems they're available here:

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 29, 2021

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
maybe it's just a "grass is always greener" thing but i would *way* rather have a land cruiser than a jeep

if they're actually cheaper there and you're thinking of paying more for a jeep... the only way that makes any kind of sense is as some kind of usa fanboy/status symbol thing

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

pnac attack posted:

maybe it's just a "grass is always greener" thing but i would *way* rather have a land cruiser than a jeep

if they're actually cheaper there and you're thinking of paying more for a jeep... the only way that makes any kind of sense is as some kind of usa fanboy/status symbol thing

It's just the looks I like for a long time but yeah probably others get it here as a status symbol I guess, but now I've been turned off it. There's lots of those box like Merc's here which look horrible. I'll check out the Toyota Land Cruisers now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I'm not a fan of the Hilux's here, they mostly have the fire strip on the side and its synonymous with extermists rovinging around with guns mounted to the back.

Yeah, the Hilux with the gun in the back is a Techical, or a ~non-standard tactical vehicle (NSTV)~ which, yeah if you deal with that irl all the time I can see not wanting to be associated with that. Funnily enough, here in the USA, Jeeps have a ton of gross baggage associated with them in a similar fashion. Think 'BLUE LIVES MATTER' and trump flags, with the Punisher skull. I wouldn't want to have a Jeep here because of that, besides the fact that they kinda just suck. At least the Hilux is a dead reliable truck that can serve actual military-like duty.

quote:

for the 70, do you mean something like this?

I like this a lot, if it was just plain white, but I don't want a tray.

This with a hardtop would be nice:

yeah, that looks nice. it seems they're available here:

That 2-door you posted, yeah, that's a 70 series. They come like that, four door, single cab pickup and double cab pickup, standard bed or tray. If you just want a personal transport, then the 70 2 door is great. They should be available in plain white, though you could always just rip the decals off as well. The soft top you posted is just the 2-door with a soft top, identical otherwise.
I'd also say the Jimny could be everything you need as well. It's like a tiny 70 series in being extremely capable and well loved, but probably worlds cheaper as well. The 70 will be far more 'substantial' and arguably a lot more comfortable as well.

AND FINALLY, I daily drive a 70 of my own, circumstances being what they are it's a 94 and RHD, but still a 70:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
older Jeeps can be cool in a “Dr Alan Grant” sort of way but contemporary Jeeps are basically just a way worse version of the mid-00s Hummer, culturally speaking

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

older Jeeps can be cool in a “Dr Alan Grant” sort of way but contemporary Jeeps are basically just a way worse version of the mid-00s Hummer, culturally speaking

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

KakerMix posted:

Yeah, the Hilux with the gun in the back is a Techical, or a ~non-standard tactical vehicle (NSTV)~ which, yeah if you deal with that irl all the time I can see not wanting to be associated with that. Funnily enough, here in the USA, Jeeps have a ton of gross baggage associated with them in a similar fashion. Think 'BLUE LIVES MATTER' and trump flags, with the Punisher skull. I wouldn't want to have a Jeep here because of that, besides the fact that they kinda just suck. At least the Hilux is a dead reliable truck that can serve actual military-like duty.

That 2-door you posted, yeah, that's a 70 series. They come like that, four door, single cab pickup and double cab pickup, standard bed or tray. If you just want a personal transport, then the 70 2 door is great. They should be available in plain white, though you could always just rip the decals off as well. The soft top you posted is just the 2-door with a soft top, identical otherwise.
I'd also say the Jimny could be everything you need as well. It's like a tiny 70 series in being extremely capable and well loved, but probably worlds cheaper as well. The 70 will be far more 'substantial' and arguably a lot more comfortable as well.

AND FINALLY, I daily drive a 70 of my own, circumstances being what they are it's a 94 and RHD, but still a 70:

Ah cool, thanks. That looks great being a mid 90s vehicle. I'd probably want something more modern for the features, but yeah I'm guessing its super expensive. I'll go check out the second hand market for 70s models from the last few years, but that is one issue here that Toyota's = $. The only good thing is that second hand vehicles, if not crashed, retain their re-sell value pretty well.

edit: and yeah, the Hilux's are either beasty modern versions worth a poo poo ton of money to show off your dick size/status and are never used for its intended purpose, or the striped version that farmers or militias use and have bad vibes. I just want a semi-modern 2 or 4 door with no tray, that has some luxory features inside but is reliable and looks good. The 70 seems to be that, so I'll check it out. That suzuki looks good too, but maybe a bit too small. I also want factory settings, I have no idea how to mod or customize.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 30, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
What you do is find a suitable land cruiser and a wrangler. Turn the two vehicles into one. Engine, gearbox, transfer box, and axles.

Jeep body. Toyota reliability and locally available parts.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I just replaced the auxiliary belt on my very conventional shitbox car since the old one started slipping when wet and looked worn and dry. I didn't look the procedure up in the service manual because it's a ginormous pdf and I'm lazy and it looked super easy, which it was. Now I wonder if there's a better way to tension the belt correctly than to simply use my judgement and go "yeah that feels about right I guess"?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Invalido posted:

I just replaced the auxiliary belt on my very conventional shitbox car since the old one started slipping when wet and looked worn and dry. I didn't look the procedure up in the service manual because it's a ginormous pdf and I'm lazy and it looked super easy, which it was. Now I wonder if there's a better way to tension the belt correctly than to simply use my judgement and go "yeah that feels about right I guess"?
Normal V belt? The generic baseline is "can I just twist it 90° with my fingers in the centre of its longest run".

Though most stuff uses multi-rib belts with a sprung tensioner now, which should just sort themselves out.

What car/engine is it?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I haven't seen a "normal" V belt in decades tbh. Everything is multi now.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

InitialDave posted:

Normal V belt? The generic baseline is "can I just twist it 90° with my fingers in the centre of its longest run".

Though most stuff uses multi-rib belts with a sprung tensioner now, which should just sort themselves out.

What car/engine is it?

It's a 2009 kia ceed with a 1.6l gas engine. Belt is multi rib. It runs alternator, AC and water pump (power steering is electric). There's an idler but it doesn't appear to be sprung - there's an old-school tensioning screw that moves the alternator around.

Edit: just barely able to twist it 90 degrees on the longest run seems like a generic starting point for multi rib as well. I'll go have a look later and see if I'm in the ballpark.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 30, 2021

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, to do it "properly" you would want to use a belt tension meter, but I'd just do twist-on-longest-run and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm at work with almost no tools rn but I went outside and gave it a twist and it seems fine - maybe a tiny bit loose. I'll probably just leave it be unless it starts slipping in heavy rain again. I figure way too tight is the worst case that I want to avoid.