Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

Heath posted:

You said CSPAM didn't radicalize him, which is a point I can't affirm or disagree with since I don't know his own testimony, and that shooting in public was a "bad call," which is a weird way of phrasing something an action that was pretty clearly made in anger, but those points are padded with a whole lot of rationalizations for his radicalization (which is kind of beside the point of his having acquired, brought, and subsequently discharged several bullets in a remarkably clumsy one-handed fashion, in a public space.) Your giving perspective reads a lot more like you're trying to give some understanding, if not justification, for his irresponsibility.

Any "justification" is reading in subtext that doesn't exist.

Understanding why he made the bad choice he did, is in my opinion important. Especially when you have folks claiming an internet forum dying of irrelevancy radicalized him. Except, you know, he was actually shot by Proud Boys previously.

The shots he took were a bad choice, but more understandable when you know the context that led to them. Shooting across a crowd, into an intersection at a poorly defined target is wildly irresponsible and not an action I, or any local activist I have heard condone.

In fact, most community gun safety and training orgs immediately started updating safety trainings to include this incident and specifically why it was a gently caress up the week it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, the shooter goon is a loving moron at the very least, but for gently caress's sake don't try to equivovate him with literal deliberate murderer and avowed terrorist Kyle Ritterhouse for the sake of a posting dunk.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The first result was literally from the Aluminum Association, a group of people who probably know something about the subject. It's all well and good being skeptical about google results but there's such a thing as being too skeptical.

It actually doesn't seem to show up anything to be honest.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 10:42 on Sep 29, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
you guys are making this unfunny by caring about dumb poo poo

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

fun hater posted:

you guys are making this unfunny by caring about dumb poo poo

I feel like anyone who wants to trot out this 20-year-old meme should have to explain what would be worth caring about, because if the bar is being pushed beyond "a subforum may have pushed someone toward firing a gun at a public intersection in the middle of the day" then I have trouble imagining where that line would be

Monicro has a new favorite as of 10:03 on Sep 29, 2021

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

if it was a pol/reddit/roblox shooter none of you would be hesitant to say an online forum could contribute to a persons radicalisation lol

the c in cspam stands for cope

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
The ufo thread made him nuts

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

rename it to the carespam forums

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Google has been poo poo at finding anything useful for at least 15 years.

lmao ok

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

better ask jeeves about aluminum

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

better ask jeeves about aluminum

jeeves: "did you mean aluminium, sir"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Arivia posted:

jeeves: "did you mean aluminium, sir"

it got autocorrected and i questioned it for a second then thought, "the phone probably knows"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The difference is that left-wing, antifascist radicalization can at least be partially based in real life experiences and factual analysis, because fascism is a real and mortal threat to individual, community, and global life.

Right-wing radicalization is founded exclusively on murderous lies.

Firing into a crowd is stupid and criminally negligent and bad. But it's the kind of stupid decision someone totally Logged Off could make, easily.

Kyle Rittenhouse doesn't cross state lines with an illegal firearm to go hunting minorities without being extremely on line.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

it got autocorrected and i questioned it for a second then thought, "the phone probably knows"

I presume then that you are posting from an Android and not one of Sir Jony Ives’ Royal iPhones.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m trying to imagine a scenario where my roommate tries to stop me from leaving the house by cleaning a toy shotgun at me and I just can’t get past the premise without laughing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The dude posted video of the shooting to brag about it to his (celebrating) cool zone buddies with his alt, that's pretty drat online.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oh this dude is deffo Online but, like, this didn't just happen because of Posts. This happened because of material conditions.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Everyone is dealing with material conditions and most of us haven't shot into a crowd

I don't know what point you are trying to make other than just trying to waffle about how maybe this was good or understandable really, when it absolutely was not

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Again this is a guy who was literally shot in the chest last year and the courts went “lol just an excitable (proud) boy” it’s not very hard to see how he radicalized.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

"A proud boy got shot so the shooting is good, if you disagree you're a boot licker" is the kind of posting that encourages more people to fire guns at protests. It's big proudboyshooter58 posting

The fact that one of his responses to shooting someone was "wow, the gang in cspam will love to see what I've done!" is all kinds of hosed up.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I can't believe a Nazi shot a goon in the chest in CSPAM.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

It would be nice if people actually read the thread to see if the thoughts they wanted to post had already been posted and/or refuted.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh this dude is deffo Online but, like, this didn't just happen because of Posts. This happened because of material conditions.

Most people who are arguably in far worse material conditions don't end up shooting up people. Being told by your insular circle jerk of a social clique that it would be totally cool and justified is a necessary condition for this to happen. The only reason it hasn't happened more often is that most CSPAMMERs are chickenhawk cowards and / or too busy managing their rental properties to get out much.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 12:16 on Sep 29, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

steinrokkan posted:

Most people who are arguably in far worse material conditions don't end up shooting up people.

I presume they mean "stuff that has happened directly to [person]" as opposed to the more general way that "material conditions" is often used.

Pastry of the Year posted:

It would be nice if people actually read the thread to see if the thoughts they wanted to post had already been posted and/or refuted.

But goodness that would mean we couldn't bloviate for hours! And what kind of world would that be!?

Please keep safe folks.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Again this is a guy who was literally shot in the chest last year and the courts went “lol just an excitable (proud) boy” it’s not very hard to see how he radicalized.

Yea, it's silly as heck to think the politics shitposting forum broke him when it was a failure of the justice system that did it. What he did was extremely stupid, bad, and reckless. But it seems pretty easy to understand just what made him become unhinged like that.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

"A proud boy got shot so the shooting is good, if you disagree you're a boot licker" is the kind of posting that encourages more people to fire guns at protests. It's big proudboyshooter58 posting

The fact that one of his responses to shooting someone was "wow, the gang in cspam will love to see what I've done!" is all kinds of hosed up.

i mean personally it's a lot more nuanced than that. It was undoubtedly a dumb thing to do because as far as I can tell he wasn't fearing for his life. However, the proudboys literally think of themselves as the modern brownshirts and that absolutely does influence my reaction to one of them getting shot in the foot. I'd be lying if I said it didn't. It kinda reduces my reaction from 'you can't just shoot other people for not being left wing' to 'you idiot, now you're probably going down for life'. What he did was incredibly stupid but I really really don't care about the proudboys getting hurt and anyone that does I can only assume doesn't quite understand who these people are and what they want.

like, he knew the system was rigged and then he gave the system an excuse to gently caress him hard

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I don’t know why people keep trying to make it a one or the other thing instead of “perhaps being victimized and being part of a “gently caress yeah, violence” echo chamber both contributed pretty heavily” type situation because that feels pretty obvious.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I don’t know why people keep trying to make it a one or the other thing instead of “perhaps being victimized and being part of a “gently caress yeah, violence” echo chamber both contributed pretty heavily” type situation because that feels pretty obvious.

This whole "one root cause" thing has been an issue with politics for a long time. It's never about a multifaceted cause, it's always the most convenient explanation.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah it's this. contributing factors, not causes or straws that broke the camels back.

and the echo chamber is the thing on SA that's a lot easier to control and implement change in, so maybe uh that should happen

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

We need to discuss it like local news covering a cop shooting, like “bullet impacts with man’s foot during poster-involved incident where a firearm was discharged.”

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
the situation doesn't have to have been caused entirely by cspam for it to be hosed up that the worst kind of cspam posters egged this on and are now trying to justify it or explain how its cool actually because the enemy team in their dumb larp are the ultimate evil and must be destroyed

especially when one of the only cspam mods was cultivating that exact mindset for years

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
A guy in Atlanta did a carjacking with a bow and arrow yesterday and I was briefly worried it was another goon.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah there's multiple causes, getting shot and the dude getting off is definitely the big contributing factor to him shooting at the proud boys, but going online to brag to cspam friends about it is a huge loving problem and the culture that would lead to that being a reaction needs to be looked at.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Spanish Manlove posted:

This whole "one root cause" thing has been an issue with politics for a long time. It's never about a multifaceted cause, it's always the most convenient explanation.

Very much agreed. I work in safety, and whenever there’s a significant injury, I have to do the whole 5 why root cause analysis on it. And I have to do it six times, because I do a separate one for behavior, conditions, training, etc.

And I do that for something as dumb as “someone broke a tooth when they ate poo poo and faceplanted trying to jump over a chain instead of moving it”.

If there can be six different factors leading into a dude doing something dumb and breaking a tooth there can be two factors leading into a dude doing something dumb and shooting at people in an intersection. I think some of it comes back to an overreaction to “the truth is in the middle” stuff from the 2000’s. If you’re saying there’s many factors, isn’t that the same thing, is the implication I see a lot.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

CountryMatters posted:

especially when one of the only cspam mods was cultivating that exact mindset for years

The important thing is that we come together and use this to re-litigate old grudges against mods/sub forums based on hysterical exaggeration.

But also close cspam not because any of this but because the “oh poo poo this poster shot someone” thread started whining about D&D on the first page.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

But also close cspam not because any of this but because the “oh poo poo this poster shot someone” thread started whining about D&D on the first page.

Are you talking about this one or the one that was posted at 9PM

(goldmine that one btw)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

VROOM VROOM posted:

Are you talking about this one or the one that was posted at 9PM

(goldmine that one btw)

No this one

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980627&perpage=40&noseen=1

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

VROOM VROOM posted:

(goldmine that one btw)

Lol though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

You mean the obvious joke or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Yeah "We Need To Talk About CSPAM" was posted almost twelve hours before that so. That's a little low down my list of reasons to close the politics subforums