Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

drat I was hoping for marble slingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Communist Thoughts posted:

Same.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

How about we split the difference and get slingers made of marble that break pieces off themselves and then sling that?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Having a blast playing Troy on Mythical setting. Magic is a thing, but spells alone won't murderize whole armies like in Warhams. Monsters are hard to get, and you are unlikely to field half stack of Minotaurs or Gryffins.
Cerberus crew is ridiculous: looks like they don't cost upkeep, so I try to cram as many archers as I can afford. They delete most enemies, just like drat High Elves from WH2.
I'll probably find some mod to up garrisons, and decrease upkeep, with new mechanic it's harder to field multiple armies. And it looks like diplomacy is rigged for constant warfare, like in M2, instead of being sane like in 3K.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
With the Total War series on sale for the next few days, I was wondering what DLC's would be good to get for Three Kingdoms if I just want to play the RoTK campaign. The DLC's look like they add a bunch of new start dates which I'm not really interested in and I was wondering which ones add content to the main campaign and are worth it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I impulsed bought RTW remastered, then refunded it upon discovery that it required Windows 10.

Got Windows 10 in the meanwhile... but the reviews note that the game is fairly buggy and not a huge improvement on the original. Yay or nay?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's definitely not a huge improvement on the original. Pure nostalgia hit. If that's bad or good is personal preference.

I think Rome 2 with DeI (or just base Rise of the Republic) is by far the better game if you just want Total War in a classical setting.

(Except the music, where Rome 1 knocks every subsequent entry out of the park)

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Good thing there is Rome 1 music mod for Rome 2 (and probably for every other Total War too).

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Rome Remastered is a remaster in the traditional sense where the graphics and ui have been improved and theres some new bits, but it's more or less the same game. Absolutely better than the old game but still the same experience. I think the simple and lean RTW/MTW2 days still have their appeal though so I really enjoyed the remaster

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I still go back and play Medieval II now and then. Clunky and old sure but it has such a great selection of mods, plus fantastic music in it's own right

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Xander77 posted:

I impulsed bought RTW remastered, then refunded it upon discovery that it required Windows 10.

Got Windows 10 in the meanwhile... but the reviews note that the game is fairly buggy and not a huge improvement on the original. Yay or nay?

It's an improvement in that it runs at a decent framerate, and the controls (especially the camera) aren't godawful. In terms of pure gameplay, it's almost the same game. They did make changes: the UI is different (a lot of people dislike it, I reckon it's fine); there are some balance changes; they added the merchant system from M2.

If you have fond memories of playing Rome back in the day, this is the best way to play it again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of merchants, you can automate your agents, which is very nice. Cuz agents suck rear end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dramicus posted:

How about we split the difference and get slingers made of marble that break pieces off themselves and then sling that?

Ah, Da Big'Un from Warhammer 2 making a guest appearance.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The Chad Jihad posted:

Rome Remastered is a remaster in the traditional sense where the graphics and ui have been improved and theres some new bits, but it's more or less the same game. Absolutely better than the old game but still the same experience. I think the simple and lean RTW/MTW2 days still have their appeal though so I really enjoyed the remaster

Ya it owns. Barbarian Invasion is way better than the base, id just play that if op picks it up again. Rtw2 is really missing something even after all the patches. Dei is a beatiful piece of work that's misery to actually play

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's definitely not a huge improvement on the original. Pure nostalgia hit. If that's bad or good is personal preference.

I think Rome 2 with DeI (or just base Rise of the Republic) is by far the better game if you just want Total War in a classical setting.

There's a mod that adds the music of the first game, it turns Rome 2 into a perfect game as far as I'm concerned.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Definitely liking the Troy changes. I think part of the reason that the "myth but not" compromise didn't really work for me is because Total War was never really particularly worried about making historical armies. You can already deploy armies that rely on units that were only ever used in desperation, deployed in very small numbers, or never once saw battle. You shouldn't, because most of these units are terrible or cripplingly expensive or both, but nobody's going to stop you if you want to.

Minotaurs and stuff just being regular guys in goofy costumes both doesn't bring much new to the table while also reminding you that you could be playing Warhammer which has actual minotaurs.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 27, 2021

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

shalcar posted:

With the Total War series on sale for the next few days, I was wondering what DLC's would be good to get for Three Kingdoms if I just want to play the RoTK campaign. The DLC's look like they add a bunch of new start dates which I'm not really interested in and I was wondering which ones add content to the main campaign and are worth it.

So the tough part of that is that Three Kingdoms is like, "Start Dates: The setting" in that shifting the time period even a couple years can have a drastically different map set-up that ripples out from there. That said the two main ones for the most variety on the default start date would be:

The Furious Wild: Adds the Nanman tribes

Yellow Turban Rebellion: Adds the yellow turbans (as playable)

Both of those 'cultures' play quite differently from the existing Han factions, the Yellow Turbans being a little more one-note

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

shalcar posted:

What was said above, yellow turbans and nanman are the only real additions and even those only if you really wanna play as those factions.

I'm still so pissed we didn't get Xiongnu I mean come on! Given how powerful cavalry are in 3k playing as the huns woulda been awesome

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Wish we had gotten a Warring States period DLC for Three Kingdoms, as in the period that ended with the unification of China under Qin. I think that would have been fun. Does anyone know if there is a mod like that?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm still so pissed we didn't get Xiongnu I mean come on! Given how powerful cavalry are in 3k playing as the huns woulda been awesome
Yeah same here. The Yuan Shao heavy yellow cavalry are amazing (they are yellow but have a good charge bonus) and i would have loved to see a more cav focused faction go to work.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm doing my second Troy campaign with mythic setting and still having a blast. Hydra agents are hilarious during sieges, and AI for some reason doesn't target them with ranged units. Add Hydra and they can delete reinforced walled garrisons between themselves.

Also had crazy AI bug while taking Troy: walls were destroyed, but really strong stack was nearby guarding the city. So they entered from the side of the map, and stood there as I green farted them to 1/4 of strength.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I know that Empire and Rome 2 were considered to be pretty bad at release; are they still considered crap or have they been fixed? Are there any must-have mods that make them better?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Any faction in 3K can be a cavalry faction, just poach Sun Ce and make him heir :v:.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Empire is pretty bad still, Rome 2 is either good or very good now depending on who you ask. It also has the great Divide et Impera mod going for it.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Azran posted:

Empire is pretty bad still, Rome 2 is either good or very good now depending on who you ask. It also has the great Divide et Impera mod going for it.

+1 to Rome II being really drat good for years now. It also got a lot of free content along with the DLCs that came out until fairly recently. I'd even say it's a smaller and more niche No Man's Sky redemption story. CA also hasn't had a disastrous launch like that ever since, so that's also good.

Anyway, I got an itch for some spearmanii on spearmanii action. Is there any good new overhaul on the block or is DeI still king?

I'm fine with a new DeI run with submods to take away the tedium but if there's something new around I'm willing to give it a go.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 29, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you want musket action there's basically no reason to play Empire over Napoleon.

Take Command: Second Manassas is on steam now for cheap, and is a little archaic, but really good for line infantry TW-style battles, and there's a mod pack out that models everything through 1863ish instead of just the one battle's scenarios. It's prolly got better AI than even modern TWs. If the enemy flanks you while your attention is elsewhere, an unengaged regiment will turn to face them instead of just dying!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Is that made by the Darthmod guy too? Because his Ultimate General, or w/ever they were called, games looked kinda neat

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DaysBefore posted:

Is that made by the Darthmod guy too? Because his Ultimate General, or w/ever they were called, games looked kinda neat

No, totally different and unrelated.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which game would you start off on here in 2021

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

zoux posted:

Which game would you start off on here in 2021

I hadn't played since Fall of the Samurai (which I also barely played), and Three Kingdoms is treating me right.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

WH2 if you enjoy fantasy settings at all. 3K otherwise IMO

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

yikes! posted:

WH2 if you enjoy fantasy settings at all. 3K otherwise IMO
Its this.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Hams 2 is way more repayable but there's poo poo loads of dlc to make it complete. Including a lot of the factions having incomplete rosters until you buy

3k dlc is all kinda lame but the base game is super good imo it's easily the best modern TW mechanically in the best engine

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Do note that even on an SSD, Warhams is gonna load slow and kinda run a bit like rear end in a few ways. Also it takes up like twice as much space as 3K.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok, how about which one is the simplest? I picked up a few and 3K seems insanely complicated compared to Rome TW, which is the only game in the series I have any playtime in at all (and all that was campaign because my laptop couldn't handle tactical battles and it was years and years ago). Or is it not as complicated as it looks

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

zoux posted:

Ok, how about which one is the simplest? I picked up a few and 3K seems insanely complicated compared to Rome TW, which is the only game in the series I have any playtime in at all (and all that was campaign because my laptop couldn't handle tactical battles and it was years and years ago). Or is it not as complicated as it looks

Nah it's not nearly as bad as it looks -- the biggest change to the formula is that units are tied to generals, so you can't just build a unit of crossbowmen and send it to join an army anymore, you add it to Zhao Yun's retinue and it's part of whatever army he''s in. Generally you want most of a general's units to be of his same color (purple, in Zhao Yun's case) because his character class gives them pretty good buffs. But don't feel too tied to it if that means your army doesn't have any archers or cavalry or something else it needs.

Buildings are also pretty simple, just stack as many of the same color you can because they all augment each other.

There are more in-depth systems like espionage and Imperial favor and stuff, but don't feel like you have to mess with them if you don't want to. There aren't any on-map agents so forget about those, and diplomacy is easier than ever because the AI will tell you exactly how far away you are from an agreeable deal.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

zoux posted:

It ramps up complexity as the campaign goes on and you unlock more stuff, 3K is very good for starting with.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

3k modelers just released a TROM/TUP mega combo mod and it owns hard.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

zoux posted:

3k is a bitsimpler than RTW imo (maybe I'm just older) and the way a lot of the campaigns are handled it starts off manageable and then gets more complex as you get a handle in things.

Starting as Sun Jian gives you a pretty manageable province, easy early goals, and good generals to help get your feet underneath you. I thought it was a good way to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

zoux posted:

The key to 3k is understanding the colour coding and it applies to both the strategy and battle layers.

Campaign wise you want to build things in your cities that match the minor cities.

So if you have farms, which are green, green buildings will boost the income and food production of farms.

If you have a blue trade port, blue buildings will boost commerce income.

Tech wise then, blue techs with boost blue buildings and units etc.

Generals will boost units of their colour and get more unit choices of that colour.

Green units are spear units and have high health so are good at holding enemies in place and stabbing cavalry.

Blue are your ranged units.

Yellow is sort of all rounder cavalry, so tend to be worse than red.

Red is charge cavalry.

Purple is evasive infantry, tend to be hard to hit and beat green infantry, but worse against cavalry.