Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Per AOS vs 40K:

You can take my approach and say, “gently caress my wallet, I’ll do both!”

AOS is a little easier rules-wise. 3rd edition just started so there are lots of boxes you can buy. It’s still a complex game but I would argue significantly less granular than 40K.

Honestly I really enjoy the granularity of 40K but I completely understand why it turns some people away. I like having something really stupidly intricate to process during, idk, a ridiculously stressful pandemic.

I think AOS has better models overall, and it is generally easier to field a “viable” force. However, I do think that with 40K, there on average is a greater ceiling for generalmanship and I tend to see greater varieties of competitive lists.

Honestly, I would just pick whatever army looks the coolest to you and build it like there is no tomorrow. It doesn’t matter how good the rules are if you’re building something you don’t like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah, do that. I'm just about finished with the Kruleboyz from Dominion and I'm eager to get more models - I haven't even put any paint on the Stormcasts. Should I take it as a good sign that so many stockists are out of the Sloggoth and basic Gutrippaz (meaning they're not a complete failure like people said about Dominion for not instantly selling out)?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
huh, especially considering that they're not valid for matched play I'm surprised that warscroll battalions are still a thing in the new books.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Der Waffle Mous posted:

huh, especially considering that they're not valid for matched play I'm surprised that warscroll battalions are still a thing in the new books.

I mean, it takes basically no effort to whip a couple new ones up and copy previous ones over. And now that they don't have to care about matched play, they don't even need to spend whatever couple of minutes they used to "balancing" them.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Khorne Wrath Axe complete, with requisite Slaughterpriest.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I have discovered, now I have my books, that the AoS app can’t handle the new subfactions not having command traits. It refused to validate my Kruleboyz and Ironjawz lists because their command traits weren’t Big Yellerz and Bloodtoofz ones.

Because those don’t exist.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

I have discovered, now I have my books, that the AoS app can’t handle the new subfactions not having command traits. It refused to validate my Kruleboyz and Ironjawz lists because their command traits weren’t Big Yellerz and Bloodtoofz ones.

Because those don’t exist.
Same with Stormcasts and the old stormhosts. It tells you that you need a command trait that doesn't exist.

Already reported it and maybe they'll fix it soon, they have been updating the app every two o three days.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I took my Mega-Gargants to the Hammerfest GT in Houston last weekend and went 4-0-1 in the 73-person event. I got Best Destruction and Best General. The differential-based tournament scoring (my round 1 win was sloppy) and softscores put me out of the Best Overall podium but it was still a very good result and a great time.

My round 5 game was against Archaon Tzeentch and its the game I drew. It was a nailbiter where I was ahead the entire game until Archaon finally tabled me round 5 and I missed my 3vp for my Grand Strategy as a result, pushing us to an exact 28-28 score.

The final game at the top of round 1, where I decided to pin-in his army (at least until he could summon some screamers to fly away and cap objectives):

my army:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Danimo posted:

I took my Mega-Gargants to the Hammerfest GT in Houston last weekend and went 4-0-1 in the 73-person event. I got Best Destruction and Best General. The differential-based tournament scoring (my round 1 win was sloppy) and softscores put me out of the Best Overall podium but it was still a very good result and a great time.

My round 5 game was against Archaon Tzeentch and its the game I drew. It was a nailbiter where I was ahead the entire game until Archaon finally tabled me round 5 and I missed my 3vp for my Grand Strategy as a result, pushing us to an exact 28-28 score.

The final game at the top of round 1, where I decided to pin-in his army (at least until he could summon some screamers to fly away and cap objectives):

my army:

Very cool! That is a great performance. Beautiful army, too.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Geisladisk posted:

Very cool! That is a great performance. Beautiful army, too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Infantry swarm or gently caress off imo

(they rule great work)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/29/side-with-the-seraphon-and-reclaim-an-adepta-sororitas-sanctuary-in-white-dwarf-469/

Next issue of White Dwarf is going to have rules updates for the Lizard Wizards.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm Almost passive they've used that at for a cover within the last two years.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm Almost passive they've used that at for a cover within the last two years.

It’s the cover of the original Seraphon codex.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Rules query: Stormcast Eternals have a relic that lets you reroll saves against weapons with damage 2 or higher. How does that interact with weapons that do, for example, D3 or D6 damage? I think it wouldn't apply since you could just get one damage, and damage rolls come after saving rolls in the order of operations. Am I misreading that?

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

You aren’t misreading it, it’s just not clearly stated anywhere how to handle the random damage values. Needs a FAQ answer.

Most of the time people just play it as d3 > 1, d6 > 1.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
How many casters does a Skaven want? I'm looking at the final stages of my army and it's a biggun.

Leaders:
Clawlord
Warlock Bombadier
Thanquol on Boneripper

Army:
Clanrats(60)
Clanrats(40)
Stormvermin(20)
Stormfiends(3)

Artillery:
Warp Lightning Cannon(1)

I've been told I don't have enough casters, but is 2 not enough?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

For Thanquol points wouldn't you be able to fit in grey seer+grey seer on bell? That should cover your casting needs

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Covermeinsunshine posted:

For Thanquol points wouldn't you be able to fit in grey seer+grey seer on bell? That should cover your casting needs

yeah. I guess I'll save TQ for the 3k point game

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If I wanted to get into AoS, out of the Seraphons, Overlords or Ogors, which would be the easiest/cheapest to build a starting army for? And which of the three is the most forgiving for making misplays?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Out of those three, Kharadron are definitely the least forgiving. They are kind of a techy army, based on maneuvering and shenanigans. Ogors would be the easiest to play, but that is entirely down to them having barely any options other than "run at enemy and hit them until they stop moving". Seraphon have a huge range of options, they have strong bashing infantry, lots of options for synergy and magic, and lots of monsters that you can smash into the enemy while making dinosaur noises like a happy toddler. They have also consistently been a strong army for the past few years.

Seraphon also have two Start Collecting boxes that are pretty great value - One based on Skinks, the other on Saurus. If you start by buying a couple of copies of either one, you have the core of an army ready to go.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Randalor posted:

If I wanted to get into AoS, out of the Seraphons, Overlords or Ogors, which would be the easiest/cheapest to build a starting army for? And which of the three is the most forgiving for making misplays?

Seraphon stuff is mostly online order only, so it's a hassle to actively collect.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Randalor posted:

The nice thing about ogres is that the Start Collecting Beastclaw raiders is a pretty good deal, 3 of those and you have 2000 points.

The mainline Ogre dudes haven't been updated since the initial Fantasy release so you can pick up pretty good deals on eBay. They also follow similar rules as Orcs where they are scrappers and the biggest rules the roost, which is nice for conversions or custom models.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Randalor posted:

If you lean in on the Beastclaw side of Ogres, they're definitely one of the cheapest and easiest armies to build. You can make a perfectly viable army with two start collecting boxes and a couple of extra Frostlords.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Team_q posted:

The mainline Ogre dudes haven't been updated since the initial Fantasy release so you can pick up pretty good deals on eBay.

Do you mean AoS or WFB? Because if it's WFB... that's both impressive and depressing to hear.

Edit: And how do the Beastclaws play? Just "Charge into enemy, Rend, Slaughter, Devour your enemy"?

Randalor fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 1, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Randalor posted:

Do you mean AoS or WFB? Because if it's WFB... that's both impressive and depressing to hear.

Edit: And how do the Beastclaws play? Just "Charge into enemy, Rend, Slaughter, Devour your enemy"?

Beastclaw is all about highly mobile charges and proper use of prayer and magic support. Your units are fast, hit hard, deal MWs well and have a decent chunk of health, but you want good healing from your priests and buffs from a butcher or slaughtermaster to get the most out of them because you have a very low model count so every loss really hurts.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

Out of those three, Kharadron are definitely the least forgiving. They are kind of a techy army, based on maneuvering and shenanigans. Ogors would be the easiest to play, but that is entirely down to them having barely any options other than "run at enemy and hit them until they stop moving". Seraphon have a huge range of options, they have strong bashing infantry, lots of options for synergy and magic, and lots of monsters that you can smash into the enemy while making dinosaur noises like a happy toddler. They have also consistently been a strong army for the past few years.

Seraphon also have two Start Collecting boxes that are pretty great value - One based on Skinks, the other on Saurus. If you start by buying a couple of copies of either one, you have the core of an army ready to go.

After thinking it over (and skimming Goonhammer's entries on Ogors and Seraphon), I think I'll ultimately go with Seraphon. Being able to play Jurassic Park while Lord Kroak drops the sky on my enemies is just too amusing to pass up. If I picked up the Saurus box (because T-Rex), what should I look into picking up along side it (or should I just go 2x Saurus boxes and a wizard to start with)?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

2x gives you a solid set of troops, the t-rex, the skink on dino, an on foot skink hero and an on-foot saurus hero (using the two riders who you didn't put on mounts) - or more, if you're willing to get real creative with the leftover bits. However, you'll be stuck with a weird number of extras, because...well, GW sells in weird numbers. If you intend to roll a Saurus-heavy army, it's a good pick. And running Saurus is more viable these days, thanks to the smaller unit sizes and more cramped board making mass skinks less overwhelmingly good.

e: But you still almost certainly want Kroak, who is just extremely good.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

2x gives you a solid set of troops, the t-rex, the skink on dino, an on foot skink hero and an on-foot saurus hero (using the two riders who you didn't put on mounts) - or more, if you're willing to get real creative with the leftover bits. However, you'll be stuck with a weird number of extras, because...well, GW sells in weird numbers. If you intend to roll a Saurus-heavy army, it's a good pick. And running Saurus is more viable these days, thanks to the smaller unit sizes and more cramped board making mass skinks less overwhelmingly good.

e: But you still almost certainly want Kroak, who is just extremely good.

I do have access to a resin printer, and I don't mind printing minis to "fill out" units, I just also want to support my FLGS/local GW so I actually have a place to play once in-store play is allowed again.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Randalor posted:

I do have access to a resin printer, and I don't mind printing minis to "fill out" units, I just also want to support my FLGS/local GW so I actually have a place to play once in-store play is allowed again.

https://www.lustria-online.com/threads/getting-the-most-from-your-start-collecting-seraphon-box.20560/

This is how to get the absolute most work out of a single SC, then.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
That Troglodon conversion at the end is pretty genius

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Should I pick up the Seraphon battle tome, or just get the minis I like and wait for the 3rd edition battle tome?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That's up to you - the rules are available pretty freely from the 2e tome, the app has them all, but you won't get the fluff, which is actually pretty fun.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So there's no rumors about, say, the Seraphon 3rd ed battletome coming out in the next few monthes? *I say as I sideeye the 8th edition Adeptus Sororitas battle tome bought a month before the 9th edition battletome was announced*

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Seraphon are a fairly recent tome so they wont be up for a new one anytime soon.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They're also getting a rules update in the next White Dwarf, which suggests to me that their battletome is definitely on the lower end of the priority scale. I'm pretty sure Nurgle is the next one up, maybe alongside Idoneth or one of the other real old tomes.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The next White Dwarf has some updated rules for Seraphon, just like Sons of Behemat and Slaves to Darkness in the recent issues. And well, that's something that a lot of people are taking as a sign that their next battletomes are going to take a while to arrive:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/29/side-with-the-seraphon-and-reclaim-an-adepta-sororitas-sanctuary-in-white-dwarf-469/

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Good to know! I'll get one when I get the Saurus starter boxes. Work technically doesn't allow phones or tablets, but has no problem with me reading an actual book or magazines at work.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Talas posted:

The next White Dwarf has some updated rules for Seraphon, just like Sons of Behemat and Slaves to Darkness in the recent issues. And well, that's something that a lot of people are taking as a sign that their next battletomes are going to take a while to arrive:

Only make sense since they were among the latest battle tomes. They probably want to focus on the armies that didn't get a 2nd Ed battle tome and a few other old tomes that need a refresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
expecting the new lumineth tome in early 2022 to complete the hat trick