Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Iron Man being the breakout movie for the MCU and as a result the one they try to imitate the most was basically a lot of original sin for the franchise.

IMO Iron Man 1 isn’t even the movie the MCU emulates most, you watch it and there’s a lot of stuff in it that isn’t done in today’s MCU films. The oft-criticized sexlessness of the MCU isn’t as much a problem, there aren’t many quips from characters that aren’t Tony, the action is still not great but at least has setup and consequence.

The vibe every MCU film goes for these days is closer to Avengers 1 or GotG, where every character is written the same and there is absolutely no gravitas allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I rewatched the Iron Man movies recently and they felt almost experimental, like their premise was "what if we did a superhero movie where the hero doesn't actually do anything heroic?"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"what if hancock, but without the systemic critique?"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I gotta watch Hancock again, I really enjoyed the first half but then it started introducing a load of Lore and it felt like it went downhill

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

2house2fly posted:

I gotta watch Hancock again, I really enjoyed the first half but then it started introducing a load of Lore and it felt like it went downhill

Ah yes, the Warcraft effect

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

2house2fly posted:

The original script was wayyyyy darker and brutal, and Hancock was unmistakably the villain in that version. Here's a rundown: https://filmschoolrejects.com/hancock-vs-tonight-he-comes-what-is-what-was-what-will-smith-could-have-been/

You can read the original script here if you're curious

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Venom 2 trailer has carnage turn into a tasmanian devil tornado. This is a wreck

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Junkie Disease posted:

Venom 2 trailer has carnage turn into a tasmanian devil tornado. This is a wreck

I thought twisting into shapes like Upton Sinclair's worst pizza nightmare was carnage 's whole m.o.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Venom 2 post-credits scene: Apparently features Eddie/Venom being brought into the MCU as part of the events of No Way Home.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Klungar posted:

Venom 2 post-credits scene: Apparently features Eddie/Venom being brought into the MCU as part of the events of No Way Home.
It's on YouTube if you want to watch it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
hosed up that they would pull that, but leave poor Morpheus, Silver Sable, Black Cat, Kraven, and Silk stuck in the Sonyverse.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Crows Turn Off posted:

That's some dope poo poo.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

I really don't like Venom licking Tom Holland's face. No thank you.

Isn't Keaton's Vulture supposed to be in that movie?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FarawayFaithfulLeopard-mobile.mp4

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's kind of hilarious that over 50 years, more than a dozen animated adaptations, nearly a hundred different comic storylines, and several movies, that the MCU will be the only Spider-Man property in history to not do a Venom origin/black suit Spidey storyline that was demanded by everyone before it happened and then sharply divides everyone afterwards.

Edit:

And MCU Spider-Man is also the only version to not do an Uncle Ben death scene either.

AutoCorrect changes Morbius to Morpheus, lol.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 30, 2021

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's kind of hilarious that over 50 years, more than a dozen animated adaptations, nearly a hundred different comic storylines, and several movies, that the MCU will be the only Spider-Man property in history to not do a Venom origin/black suit Spidey storyline that was demanded by everyone before it happened and then sharply divides everyone afterwards.

Well sorta.

Since no way home is gonna have characters from the raimi films you can just say it's all part of the same universe now, and tobey did get a black suit in spider-man 3

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Edit:

And MCU Spider-Man is also the only version to not do an Uncle Ben death scene either.

AutoCorrect changes Morbius to Morpheus, lol.

Hasn’t happened in the Into the Spider-verse-verse yet!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Klungar posted:

Hasn’t happened in the Into the Spider-verse-verse yet!

Ooh, what if Spiderverse 2 is about Gwenom?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Venom 2 is loving awesome people

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is it even out?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MiddleOne posted:

Is it even out?

It is.

CelticPredator posted:

And it is.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Local theaters says 20th of October :saddowns:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Venom 2 is Venom 1 with more recognizable characters. Fun but forgettable, post credits aside.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

CelticPredator posted:

If I loved the first one am I going to love this

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm very excited for a 90 minute goofy buddy comedy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

If I loved the first one am I going to love this

Absolutely. The whole movie is just weird and silly all the way through.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Is the ending as painfully obvious as the trailers make it out to be? Random lady that coincidentally has sonic screaming powers and is also miraculously friends with Cletus Cassidy is going to realize he went too far and scream Carnage off of him, right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can tell you it doesn’t matter

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Is the ending as painfully obvious as the trailers make it out to be? Random lady that coincidentally has sonic screaming powers and is also miraculously friends with Cletus Cassidy is going to realize he went too far and scream Carnage off of him, right?

That would be kind of great.

Lady: Cletus I tried to be supportive of your whole "serial-killer" phase, but this Carnage business is just a bit much, so EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Nah. (mild spoilers) Her screaming does factor into things, but she's only part of what stops Carnage and she's also just as psychotic as he is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Naomi Harris is really cool when she gets to go ham.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Venom 2 is theaters only right?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So how brutal does Venom 2 go since it isn’t R rated this time?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So seeing as Shriek is in this (the lady with the sonic powers) how close do we get to Maximum Carnage? Aside from the obvious fact that we don't have Spidey in this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RatHat posted:

So how brutal does Venom 2 go since it isn’t R rated this time?

Brutal in theory. Def feels like it was cut down. Also the first was also PG13

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The real question is, does it have that adrenaline momentum? Am I knowing when I'm ever going to slow up and I'm ready to snap any moment? Am I thinkin' it's time to go get them? Are they going to know what hit them?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

Naomi Harris is really cool. when she gets to go ham

Edited to remove unnecessary words.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk I don’t remember anything about her money penny or her rampage character

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Aces High posted:

So seeing as Shriek is in this (the lady with the sonic powers) how close do we get to Maximum Carnage? Aside from the obvious fact that we don't have Spidey in this

Not really. I mean, Maximum Carnage is a bloated storyline that's mostly about various heroes (mainly Venom) saying, "Hey, we should absolutely put down that nigh-invincible monster killing everyone in sight," while Spider-Man's in the background with his hand up, going, "Yeah, but what if we didn't?" It doesn't really apply here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Has basically any comic book movie come even remotely close to the storyline it was borrowing elements from. Not counting one offs like Watchmen or whatever. Like Civil War has “Iron Man and Captain America fight over some vague thing called registration and Spider-Man is surprisingly on Stark’s side” which is close if your knowledge of the comic arc is a half remembered summary someone read to you while you were falling asleep. Dark Phoenix Saga has had two attempts and while I’ve never read the comic version my guess is that neither comes even 10% close.