Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

runnypoops posted:

Cartoon violence peaked when roger elbow dropped that guy on american dad

That was pretty great, but it feels like they've gotten a lot lazier with it in the TNT years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Simpsons writers seem to really want to push the floating timeline despite no one really liking it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Coming back to it one last time, R&M was eventually such a disappointment for me. It started out with so much potential, and there are flashes of brilliance throughout, but by season 3 it began evolving into nothing more than South Park with a sci-fi twist, similarly aimed at edgelord teenagers who think they know better than everyone else while the opposite is true. What a waste.

I thought I'd watch Spongebob for a bit instead since I'm such a sensitive baby, but they don't have the first (a.k.a. good) seasons on Netflix for some reason

e: you guys have actual animation suggestions for me? Bob's Burgers didn't end up clicking for me, but the concept was good. Weirdly, I liked Archer, despite it having that tone of callousness, although I hear they've gotten off the rails in recent seasons. Maybe I should try Bojack Horseman.

e2: lol I put Archie instead of Archer

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 29, 2021

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Simpsons writers seem to really want to push the floating timeline despite no one really liking it.

Especially seeing as they are completely incapable of writing Lisa and Bart as 8 and 10 year olds most of the time. Aging them up would at least provide some fresh opportunities for storylines.

Not like it would necessarily stop them from producing those insipid Maggie shorts either.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

They do age them sometimes. Lisa is always married to Milhouse and Bart is always a horrible failure. All of them are miserable

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

The way they do the future episodes compared to the one time they did that in the classic era is pretty much emblematic of how the writers think of the characters.

Bart became a demolition worker with a Krusty tattoo, because Bart's not a slacker, he's just a little rough and not really meant for the school system. He finds joy in his work and visiting with the family. In the new ones he can't hold down a job, treats his ex and his kid badly, and everyone looks down on him.

Lisa goes off to college and manages to find a way to grow as a person while cherishing her family and roots. She had a date or something with Milhouse but she's got brighter opportunities waiting for her. In the new ones she's constantly stressed out and seems to hate everyone. She's unhappily married to Milhouse and I think has kids?

Homer and Marge are still in love and doing cute old people things like trying virtual fudge together. They treat their kids with respect and happily come together in their own bumbling way for Lisa's wedding. Half the time they're divorced in the new ones.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
the thing that turned me off of R & M was the ep my brother showed me had a really Long drawn out attempted rape in a bathroom and that was enough for me to decide that the show just wasn’t for me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'd tell you guys you've given up far too easily on Rick & Morty, but I've seen every season of the Simpsons so I'm probably not the best person to take advice from.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Lisa always being married to Millhouse bums me out in ways I can't explain :sigh:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I'd tell you guys you've given up far too easily on Rick & Morty, but I've seen every season of the Simpsons so I'm probably not the best person to take advice from.

I think I got pretty far, all the way to the start of season 4. It was just more flying limbs, exploding heads, and sociopathic Rick getting adoration he doesn't deserve. It's a real shame, because with those elements toned down, I would have really enjoyed it. As it is, there are a couple of great individual episodes, but for me, it took a wrong turn somewhere and I don't see it coming back. Maybe there's a parallel universe out there where they took the opposite path, with them finding their footing in season 3 and getting rid of the more juvenile aspects of the first two seasons. Alas.

Wubba lubba dub dub!

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Do you give up on anything?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's only a little terrible! It's still good! It's still good!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

After making my 'piles of skulls' post last night, I went and watched the first Spongebob movie, thinking that surely something aimed at children would be wholesome and positive. Turns out it has several minutes of Spongebob and Patrick driving through literal piles of skulls.

I don't know if there's a message here other than me being a huge weenie, I just thought that was funny

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I never saw the later seasons of Spongebob, but I seem to recall people saying that they had weird amounts of violence and gross-out humour. By my recollection the show always had a bit of that, but apparently it got much worse over time?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think the first movie's old enough that it would have been made during the earlier seasons? Regardless, it was all very silly, but I guess there were a few moments where I was wondering if this was really for young children.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Young children love some messed up poo poo in small doses.

Happy Landfill posted:

Lisa always being married to Millhouse bums me out in ways I can't explain :sigh:

It's very gross in a Boomer-brained 'your life never leaves your small town' way that millennials in general are already entirely sick of.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Phlegmish posted:

e: you guys have actual animation suggestions for me? Bob's Burgers didn't end up clicking for me, but the concept was good. Weirdly, I liked Archer, despite it having that tone of callousness, although I hear they've gotten off the rails in recent seasons. Maybe I should try Bojack Horseman.

I gave up on Bojack after 6 episodes. I hated, HATED watching that piece of poo poo. Then I came back years later because I needed something to binge for finals and... Oh. Oh, it becomes really good. Whoops.

Todd in particular is extremely good for personal reasons.

It's likely you've seen these, but hey: Over the Garden Wall was probably the best Western animated series I've seen. Heard Infinity Train was also good, but I haven't seen it yet. New Ducktales is Venture Bros Jr. and funny as hell, but it is very much a junior. Venture Bros itself is a huge recommend. Primal is fantastic, of course.

If you're not opposed to animoos, Odd Taxi was great. The dialogue's got a wonderful, natural feel and a middle-aged cab driver is also a walrus!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Realtalk, the lack of nihilism is probably one of the reasons MLP got so huge when it was new. It was a competently done show aimed at kids with mildly interesting stories and no deliberate creeping undertones of evil. Sure the adult fanbase was poo poo, but that's a whole topic on its own.

Side note for anyone with kids, ni hao kai lan is basically dora the explorer done correctly. It's one of the few shows that i was happy my kids got into. Daniel tiger and Phineas and ferb are also solid choices

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

Realtalk, the lack of nihilism is probably one of the reasons MLP got so huge when it was new. It was a competently done show aimed at kids with mildly interesting stories and no deliberate creeping undertones of evil. Sure the adult fanbase was poo poo, but that's a whole topic on its own.

That was a monkey paw situation for sure. I watched some of the first episodes back when it came out, it seemed competently made for children's entertainment, maybe something you could watch alongside your child. No drawn-out scenes of ponies dying gruesome deaths in over-the-top 'ironic' and 'funny' ways, or anything like that. Then it turned out that the members of the (adult) fandom were absolutely horrifying.

Conversely, that's why I have no problem with the Rick & Morty fandom even if I ended up bouncing off the show. Enjoying it doesn't mean that you yourself are a Rick in real life.

Das Boo posted:

I gave up on Bojack after 6 episodes. I hated, HATED watching that piece of poo poo. Then I came back years later because I needed something to binge for finals and... Oh. Oh, it becomes really good. Whoops.

Todd in particular is extremely good for personal reasons.

It's likely you've seen these, but hey: Over the Garden Wall was probably the best Western animated series I've seen. Heard Infinity Train was also good, but I haven't seen it yet. New Ducktales is Venture Bros Jr. and funny as hell, but it is very much a junior. Venture Bros itself is a huge recommend. Primal is fantastic, of course.

If you're not opposed to animoos, Odd Taxi was great. The dialogue's got a wonderful, natural feel and a middle-aged cab driver is also a walrus!

Thanks! These all seem like wortwhile suggestions.

I have no problem with anime either, although I'd prefer the stuff that avoids the usual tropes that most people are familiar with - I know it exists. I'd also prefer it having dubs in Western languages, for whatever reason I've always used anime (on the somewhat rare occasions that I have watched it in the past) as an opportunity to learn French or Spanish, I guess since I have no ambition of learning Japanese so I don't mind if it's not in the original language.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 29, 2021

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks! These all seem like wortwhile suggestions.

I have no problem with anime either, although I'd prefer the stuff that avoids the usual tropes that most people are familiar with - I know it exists. I'd also prefer it having dubs in Western languages, for whatever reason I've always used anime (on the somewhat rare occasions that I have watched it in the past) as an opportunity to learn French or Spanish, I guess since I have no ambition of learning Japanese so I don't mind if it's not in the original language.

Welcome!

Odd Taxi is very unconventional. No dubs on that one, unfortunately. At all. I've heard varying explanations as to why, but all of them seem immensely speculative.

A little older, but Mushishi is excellent. It's very subdued and meditative, essentially an anthology of Japanese folklore. The mood reminds me a lot of Shirley Jackson. And if you can find Monster, I loving love it. It's about a neurosurgeon who destroys his life by saving the wrong patient. It's just really, really hard to find due to a licensing issue that I have been checking in on every few years since 2005.

You're right that the non-tropey stuff is difficult to find, though. I end up watching a lot of trash to find the good stuff because I am goddamn starved for animation. :(

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I genuinely loved the first two seasons of R&M when it was more like the natural evolution of Futurama. Season 3 onward is the ultimate edgelord show. Even though I can recognize that they put a lot of effort into it, I just find it hard to stomach. The new episodes are so over-written and mean-spirited and loaded with gore for the sake of gore moments. Every single line Rick says seems catered directly to the manchildren that are idolizing him. The show also does nothing to sway this... "Rick is a bad person ;) and you shouldn't try to emulate him ;) ;) but also he's infallible and invincible sooooo.... "

Das Boo posted:

Same. The first few episodes of BoJack are pretty bad and the first one is dire. With episode 8 onward there's a very clear shift from "lovely, edgy adult cartoon" to an actual earnest, good show. Each season gets better and it morphs into one of my favorite shows of all time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I genuinely loved the first two seasons of R&M when it was more like the natural evolution of Futurama. Season 3 onward is the ultimate edgelord show. Even though I can recognize that they put a lot of effort into it, I just find it hard to stomach. The new episodes are so over-written and mean-spirited and loaded with gore for the sake of gore moments. Every single line Rick says seems catered directly to the manchildren that are idolizing him. The show also does nothing to sway this... "Rick is a bad person ;) and you shouldn't try to emulate him ;) ;) but also he's infallible and invincible sooooo.... "

Season 5 hit the brakes on Rick being a god and the finale pulls back the curtain to reveal the Ricks we've seen in the show so far have built themselves a wall in the multiverse, so they only interact with universes where they are the alpha being. It's described as "the biggest crib in existence for the biggest baby in existence" or something like that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If you think that the show idolises Rick you probably have not been paying attention.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.polygon.com/22698377/the-simpsons-webcomic-fan-artists-fandom-inspiration-classic

uuuuuuuughhhhhhhhhghghghghhhhhh

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Gonna jump in this thread to recommend a cartoon for people looking for something dumb to watch that’s actually funny. Zig and Sharko on Netflix. I discovered this show when I was looking for something for my kid to watch when she was really young.

Fair warning, this show has no dialogue at all, like Roadrunner and Coyote. Don’t watch it expecting meaningful story arcs. Every episode is the same, a buff shark and a crazed hyena fighting over a ditzy and oblivious mermaid named Marina. Zig wants to eat her and Sharko is in love with her. The characters constantly either scream or giggle which can get annoying fast. But I swear, no animated show in recent memory has made me laugh this hard. It’s wall to wall insane sight gags. Picture Ren and Stimpy without the objectionable John K poo poo meets Spongebob and Looney Tunes. I think it’s produced in France.

Cheers, Simpsons critic thread!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lmao at Bart and Chris Griffin getting couples therapy from Bobby Hill, I missed that arc of TGT

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I just never find "the protagonist isn't a hero" excuses/explanations/justifications very convincing in general, especially when they tend to be applied to media where said protagonist is repeatedly shown to be cooler / smarter / funnier / more badass than anyone else in their show. Sorry, you can't spend 90% of the thing showing how awesome someone is, throw in 10% 'oh but actually they're a terrible person' bits, then get all :smug: 'guess you weren't paying attention' :smug: when people point out the former clashes with the supposed 'real point'.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SirSamVimes posted:

If you think that the show idolises Rick you probably have not been paying attention.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to enjoy blah blah blah.

On the surface, the show says Rick bad, but the subtext is that him being a toxic person is justified because he's a genius who is always right about everything. Apparently the new season actually deconstructs this for real as mentioned above, but I haven't watched it yet.

Here's a video essay with a ton of examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-8ICfWsUVw

Imagined posted:

I just never find "the protagonist isn't a hero" excuses/explanations/justifications very convincing in general, especially when they tend to be applied to media where said protagonist is repeatedly shown to be cooler / smarter / funnier / more badass than anyone else in their show. Sorry, you can't spend 90% of the thing showing how awesome someone is, throw in 10% 'oh but actually they're a terrible person' bits, then get all :smug: 'guess you weren't paying attention' :smug: when people point out the former clashes with the supposed 'real point'.

:hmmyes:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Any time there isn't an invincible galatic space tyrant on the screen the other characters should be asking 'where's Frieza?'

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

multijoe posted:

Any time there isn't an invincible galatic space tyrant on the screen the other characters should be asking 'where's Frieza Leto ?'

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

SirSamVimes posted:

dude is a loving loser. lovely parent, incapable of expressing feelings he clearly has, etc. he's such an irredeemable piece of poo poo, no matter how many times he (eg) cleverly kills and harms billions of people so that his grandson will stop writing heist scripts.

I'll grant that huge portions the fanbase doesn't get that at all. I guess that I'm once again unironically saying that you have to have a high emotional IQ to really get Rick & Morty.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
another cartoon that's fun: Teen Titans Go!

in some ways an empty and loud kids' cartoon, but they do a lot of making fun of the people who hate it because they enjoyed the previous more serious TT. also they have plots driven by things like the fact that Nixon ended the US gold standard and the leprechauns are still unhappy about that.

also, in a few eps, Batman and Gordon are basically little kids who want to watch cartoons during sleepovers, but mean old Alfred won't let them.

it's incredibly stupid. you'll know pretty quickly if it's a kind of stupid you'll enjoy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Side note for anyone with kids, ni hao kai lan is basically dora the explorer done correctly. It's one of the few shows that i was happy my kids got into. Daniel tiger and Phineas and ferb are also solid choices

Yeah, I remember hearing some goons saying "this new pony show is actually really good!" so I watched an episode came away with the impression "If I had an 8 year old I'd definitely be down to watch this with them". And then the whole Brony phenomenon exploded onto the internet.

Empty Sandwich posted:

dude is a loving loser. lovely parent, incapable of expressing feelings he clearly has, etc. he's such an irredeemable piece of poo poo, no matter how many times he (eg) cleverly kills and harms billions of people so that his grandson will stop writing heist scripts.

I'll grant that huge portions the fanbase doesn't get that at all. I guess that I'm once again unironically saying that you have to have a high emotional IQ to really get Rick & Morty.

He's a huge piece of poo poo but he's virtually always right and always wins, and when the show occasionally subverts this it's extremely obvious their heart isn't in it. Saying there's a big reveal in season 5 that subverts this is like saying there's an episode in season 27 of the Simpsons that completely recontextualizes Homer's character. The era of the show that "mattered" is long past so it's pretty meaningless.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 29, 2021

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

R+M's message will ultimately be like 98% painted by however the series ends anyway. Just like GoT ebbed between misogyny and female empowerment (hope there aren't too many Dany kids out there), whether Rick's shittiness is glorified or critiqued has gone both ways and they can totally miss the landing at the end.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
This last season of rick and morty has boring stuff like 'what if captain planet was cynical' and 'what if voltron was cynical', it's like watching 'let's do a wacky Simpsons take on property x'. And the violent stuff is just family guy chicken fights, it's been done

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

You guys realize R&M started with a flash clip of doc brown getting jerked off by Marty to go back in time and get his kite out of a tree, yes?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Chunderbucket posted:

You guys realize R&M started with a flash clip of doc brown getting jerked off by Marty to go back in time and get his kite out of a tree, yes?

Oh my gosh, NO WAY!!!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I hope the final episode of Rick and Morty is just the original ball licking short presented with no context.

The penultimate episode should end on a massive cliffhanger that never gets addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

I hope the final episode of Rick and Morty is just the original ball licking short presented with no context.

The penultimate episode should end on a massive cliffhanger that never gets addressed.

Rick's long-gone wife shows up a la the "Duckman" series finale