Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's funny that he's boasting about Alberta taking in other province's patients while Alberta is trying to offload patients onto others and got told to eat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cbcnewsbc/status/1442980215060193289
https://twitter.com/cbcnewsbc/status/1442981136636940293
https://twitter.com/cbcnewsbc/status/1442981704180768770

lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that was 70 minutes of nothing but deflection and blame from Kenney.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
CanPol 2021 - I reject the premise of your question

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

half cocaine posted:

What exactly is the premise of Jason Kenney?

What if a Christian dominionist failson was given power?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

half cocaine posted:

IDK exactly but I got to hear a Conservative gay man call him a number of slurs I can't repeat yesterday.

He ended with "Would you trust someone who doesn't have sex?"

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

half cocaine posted:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

tfw the 5g vaccine hits

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFUeGcVDVDQ

You know you've made it when a punk band starts ripping on you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

IDK exactly but I got to hear a Conservative gay man call him a number of slurs I can't repeat yesterday.

He ended with "Would you trust someone who doesn't have sex?"

i can say the slurs and then you can just block quote the ones you heard him say: human being, queer, goof, sissy, uh i've forgotten how to be mean to my own kind sorry

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
I think Nathan Explosion would probably be a better Premier than Kenney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXFFf7Gwzr4

Edit:

Real video of Kenney's plan to govern Alberta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iASSUSFH6yk

Edit:

View of Alberta in real time as Kenney pats himself on the back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1O5M_8vE34

stab fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 29, 2021

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
reading this and thinking of jason kenney driving around in his pickup truck with a dumb grin on his face

https://twitter.com/summerbrennan/status/1442806675325476867

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arivia posted:

i can say the slurs and then you can just block quote the ones you heard him say: human being, queer, goof, sissy, uh i've forgotten how to be mean to my own kind sorry

Suffice it to say he didn't think much of Kenny being closeted.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

This is hilarious 'maybe if you weren't so loving fash I'd have renewed it but as it is, gently caress off'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/EllieComm/status/1443026738989068294

Honestly Kenney's response as to why he's been rejecting help from other provinces is baffling. Your modeling suggests the wave will peak in late October. So why are you refusing aid now when it could mitigate that situation, rather than waiting for things to reach their absolute worst before you act?

Why the hell does everything have to be a reactive response?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 29, 2021

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sister came home with hilarious news.

BC Teachers(/schools?) finally said gently caress it and are disregarding orders by demanding 100% masking... starting next week.

Just start tomorrow or something.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/EllieComm/status/1443026738989068294

Honestly Kenney's response as to why he's been rejecting help from other provinces is baffling. Your modeling suggests the wave will peak in late October. So why are you refusing aid now when it could mitigate that situation, rather than waiting for things to reach their absolute worst before you act?

Why the hell does everything have to be a reactive response?

Haven't you heard? He's got a civic election and referendum to get through by mid October. The medical help will wait until then.

Seriously, we're at the point that a fair number of Albertans would believe it was raining if the UCP told them that it was, even while Jason Kenney was pissing on their leg. He's weighing the projected losses against the face he'd lose by admitting he needs help, and would thereby lose political capital. You see, you have to think about it without any sort of empathy or concern for your fellow human being to get into his mindset, but there you are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Jason Kenney is such an utter bastard. I keep hoping he’ll be something other than a complete loving rear end in a top hat motherfucking prick, and yet he always is the absolute worst person he can possibly be. He wakes up every miserable loving morning of his worthless bastard life and commits to choosing the worst of possible actions.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Just as The Coward Douglas Ford can't stop being a gormless nitwit coward, The Bastard Jason Kenney can't stop waking up every day and choosing to kill his constituents.

chakotayitsmynature.gif

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Argas posted:

Sister came home with hilarious news.

BC Teachers(/schools?) finally said gently caress it and are disregarding orders by demanding 100% masking... starting next week.

Just start tomorrow or something.

Unfortunately this is just Vancouver district school board. Masks extended to K-3 starting Oct 4th.

The same mandate extension was tabled in New West yesterday evening and the board voted "no" because extending the mask mandate in schools to K-3 would undermine Bonnie. They are writing a letter to Bonnie instead. FML.

https://twitter.com/juliemaclellan/status/1443080639205445636?s=19

This in the context of basically universally skyrocketing cases in kids under 10

https://twitter.com/vb_jens/status/1442642992225943552?s=19

PHO acknowledging that kids are attending school with covid

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1442946653028171780?s=19

And people reporting big issues getting tested. Long waits at testing sites or multiday delays for appointments

https://twitter.com/CTVVancouver/status/1443063016518529027?s=19

But we're in better shape than Alberta and Saskatchewan.

https://twitter.com/CGriwkowsky/status/1443013252435230721?s=19

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 29, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Goosed it. posted:

This in the context of basically universally skyrocketing cases in kids under 10

https://twitter.com/vb_jens/status/1442642992225943552?s=19

Weird how this keeps happening. Probably no one could have predicted it though.

Goosed it. posted:

PHO acknowledging that kids are attending school with covid

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1442946653028171780?s=19

So... if they're attending school with COVID, wouldn't you want mandatory masking to reduce the spread? Like, seriously, what?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It did take them a while to go from "kids don't get covid" to "when we said kids we didn't mean teens"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I remain confused by BC's reluctance to mask, and curious what constituency they think they're serving.

Still doing the discredited six feet thing too, great work.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm starting to think that schools aren't the magical transmission-free zones we've been lead to believe they are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

pokeyman posted:

I remain confused by BC's reluctance to mask, and curious what constituency they think they're serving.

Honest to god, I'm completely loving flummoxed by why any of these assholes are doing any of the things they're doing, and why they're all doing such similarly pants-on-head stupid poo poo, and it's causing me great psychological distress trying to figure it out. It's worse than COVID itself at this point, because at the end of the day I'm quite safe from COVID all things considered, but I still have to live in a world where important things are handled by a group of people who might as well be saying the sky is green and grass is orange.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

There was once a time I would've cared more about sussing out why the BC NDP is acting like this but they're just fuckers no matter how you slice it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Argas posted:

There was once a time I would've cared more about sussing out why the BC NDP is acting like this but they're just fuckers no matter how you slice it.

There is a very strong belief from either a person or persons in charge that in-person schooling is more important than anything else. That's basically it.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

pokeyman posted:

6 feet but not in schools. Also droplet protocol only contact tracing.

I think they are serving the tourism industry. Literally in the 3rd wave the closed Whistler which was a known hotbed of infections and where the P1 variant was circulating the day after March Break ended. You can't get much more blatant than that.

And it's not a one off, even when they started restrictions in the interior, they made it clear that people could still travel to and from there for vacations, even with unvaccinated kids.

I dont understand the anti-masking stance this province has. It makes no sense. Masks are easy, effective and cheap.

PT6A posted:

Honest to god, I'm completely loving flummoxed by why any of these assholes are doing any of the things they're doing, and why they're all doing such similarly pants-on-head stupid poo poo, and it's causing me great psychological distress trying to figure it out. It's worse than COVID itself at this point, because at the end of the day I'm quite safe from COVID all things considered, but I still have to live in a world where important things are handled by a group of people who might as well be saying the sky is green and grass is orange.

Yeah. This. If they said, "We just don't care anymore. gently caress it." It would at least make sense. But living in this world where they spew nonsense to rationalize policy that isn't based in science is maddening.

For example, BC has a vaccine card program. Vaccines and masks were not required at this event last weekend because it was "outdoors".

https://twitter.com/Craig_Mc_B/status/1442032652912001025?s=19

Edit:

Alctel posted:

There is a very strong belief from either a person or persons in charge that in-person schooling is more important than anything else. That's basically it.
I don't think that's the issue though. There's a belief that school with few to no mitigations is more important than anything else. I would love schools to be open as safely as possible which would mean with adequate ventilation, high quality masks and mask mandates, and routine testing.

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 29, 2021

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Alctel posted:

because moms and dads have to go to work for ARE ECONOMY.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Goosed it. posted:

Vaccines and masks were not required at this event last weekend because it was "outdoors".

https://twitter.com/Craig_Mc_B/status/1442032652912001025?s=19

I mean, there's some truth to that, it seems to be pretty hard to get covid outdoors unless you're yelling into one another’s faces unmasked. This was a quiet contemplation festival, right?

quote:

I don't think that's the issue though. There's a belief that school with few to no mitigations is more important than anything else. I would love schools to be open as safely as possible which would mean with adequate ventilation, high quality masks and mask mandates, and routine testing.

Honestly it just feels cheap. Though there are cheap solutions that also seem to be off the table (move the classroom outside) so I guess that's not the whole story either.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Alctel posted:

It doesn't even have to go so far as closing schools. Mask mandates, strict cohorting, outdoor lunches, cancelling all extra-cirricular activities for under 12s and bringing them back only with a vaccine mandate, and especially asymptomatic screening with rapid tests would go a long way, and still allows parents to work so number goes up.

I get the reluctance to not close schools, because for a lot of parents that just completely fucks them over in ways that go beyond "just pay the parents to stay home". But the alternative seems to be just shrugging and not doing anything else.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

enki42 posted:

It doesn't even have to go so far as closing schools. Mask mandates, strict cohorting, outdoor lunches, cancelling all extra-cirricular activities for under 12s and bringing them back only with a vaccine mandate, and especially asymptomatic screening with rapid tests would go a long way, and still allows parents to work so number goes up.

I get the reluctance to not close schools, because for a lot of parents that just completely fucks them over in ways that go beyond "just pay the parents to stay home". But the alternative seems to be just shrugging and not doing anything else.

Well, I think in all honesty, people fundamentally don't understand that navigating the pandemic is like captaining a large ship or a train or something. If you're headed towards a hazard, you may already be hosed because of your failures minutes ago, because you cannot react quickly. Schools can't be safe right now, because of choices we made weeks and months ago, and there's no way to avoid the consequences. It's magical thinking that there's some solution we can do right now which solves all our problems.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
I think there's a lot of ways in which that's true, but as other people pointed out there are policy interventions which are cheap, easy, and effective to implement. The lesson of March 2020 is that institutions can make quick, radical policy changes if they give enough of a poo poo.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

MA-Horus posted:

Just as The Coward Douglas Ford can't stop being a gormless nitwit coward, The Bastard Jason Kenney can't stop waking up every day and choosing to kill his constituents.

chakotayitsmynature.gif

At the very least it seems Ford can be spurred to action by yelling at him loudly enough.

The only reason ON is in the relatively good place it's in right now is that Ford folds when put under enough pressure. Of course it means we're always being reactive rather than proactive but I'm quite glad I don't live in AB.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

PT6A posted:

I mean, the sky is green sometimes. Like right before a tornado rips through and destroys everything.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

PT6A posted:

Well, I think in all honesty, people fundamentally don't understand that navigating the pandemic is like captaining a large ship or a train or something. If you're headed towards a hazard, you may already be hosed because of your failures minutes ago, because you cannot react quickly. Schools can't be safe right now, because of choices we made weeks and months ago, and there's no way to avoid the consequences. It's magical thinking that there's some solution we can do right now which solves all our problems.

The thing is, it's not a binary of "hosed" / "not hosed". Even if you're hosed, you can be less hosed by doing everything that's possible. Closing schools is complicated for a whole host of reasons, but "schedule recess so kids aren't all playing together and cancel extra-cirricular activities" is cheap and easy, you could do it tomorrow if you wanted to, and it would almost certainly lower transmission to some degree - maybe even below 1! But even if it doesn't, it's worth doing because even slowing the transmission rate buys you time and gives you more room to maneuver so that you can figure out the complicated stuff.

Saying "oh well, we're hosed, might as well stop trying" is never the right answer. Even if all you can manage is a half-assed NPI, it's still worth doing as long as it's not totally useless.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Laughs in neoliberalism

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

HappyHippo posted:

At the very least it seems Ford can be spurred to action by yelling at him loudly enough.

The only reason ON is in the relatively good place it's in right now is that Ford folds when put under enough pressure. Of course it means we're always being reactive rather than proactive but I'm quite glad I don't live in AB.

I do have to say I'm pleasantly surprised we've gone this long with cases plateauing and even dropping without a peep of stage 4 being a possibility.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

pokeyman posted:

Honestly it just feels cheap. Though there are cheap solutions that also seem to be off the table (move the classroom outside) so I guess that's not the whole story either.
Cheapness is a big part, but "a sense of normality" is the other big one. I don't get it, but there seems to be a big chunk of people who are not covid deniers but who are so desperate to get back to normal that they want interventions to be minimal just so they can momentarily lie to themselves that it's all over.

There are also a lot of antimaskers who don't call themselves that because they'll wear a mask if required and they whine about how the unvaccinated are loving us over and making us wear masks instead of whining about oppressive government and freedom. So their anger and perspective doesn't match the popular conception of anti maskers, but they're super eager to take them off the second they're allowed to and go to those concerts unmasked because "it's totally ok now, I'm vaxxed anyway."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I mean, there's some truth to that, it seems to be pretty hard to get covid outdoors unless you're yelling into one another’s faces unmasked. This was a quiet contemplation festival, right?

Might not be so clear without clicking on the tweet to see the full picture, but there is a roof and there are walls around the people at the concert.

pokeyman posted:

I know. It feels cheap and it feels something else. I don't get it, and I've kind of given-up trying. There is no way in which the policies at can make sense to me morally, ethically or financially.

I just honestly hope COVID doesn't end-up like polio. My dad almost died from polio as a little kid and it has changed his life. It's something I was acutely aware of growing-up. I hope this isn't creating a whole generation of kids that have new chronic conditions and post-viral syndrome later in life.