Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The War in Heaven is when the Warp took its current form but the chaos gods themselves didn't come into sharp focus until they settled upon the psychic potential of humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Bucnasti posted:

Warhammer 40k is a pastiche of every 70's and 80's sci-fi/fantasy setting that was popular at the time. Dune was one of them, so was Star Wars, Star Trek, Judge Dread, Foundation, Lord of the Rings, Starship Troopers, cyberpunk and a host of other things.
Exactly. WH40K is a mish-mash of whatever was trendy by dozens of writers, whereas Dune was an inspired setting that one author spent a lot of time carefully thinking through and consequently has a coherent vision and message. After WH40K got popular, later writers tried to turn it into something more coherent, but that's like doing cosmetic surgery on Frankenstein's monster.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Kurzon posted:

Exactly. WH40K is a mish-mash of whatever was trendy by dozens of writers, whereas Dune was an inspired setting that one author spent a lot of time carefully thinking through and consequently has a coherent vision and message. After WH40K got popular, later writers tried to turn it into something more coherent, but that's like doing cosmetic surgery on Frankenstein's monster.

Wasn't your whole argument that 40K wasn't influenced by Dune?

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

I have a quick question. Are the Watchers of the throne or the Vault of Terra series worth a read? Are they friendly to a reader who doesn't read a ton of the continuity heavy books (ie I prefer the books that stand on their own without needing to know exactly the details of what is happening in the broader setting beyond what a passing knowledge of the major players gives)? If it helps, I recently read the Infinite and the Divine and Brutal Kunnin and loved both and I am working my way through the Ciaphas Cain series, which I am greatly enjoying.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes they are fantastic

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kurzon posted:

It's a footnote because it's irrelevant to the themes of WH40K.
Not really, it adds to the "empire in terminal decay/fallen from a technological height" theme. It's a footnote because the "evil robot" design space is taken up by the Necrons.

Kurzon posted:

The War in Heaven between the Necrontyr and the Old Ones happened even farther in the past, but that keeps getting referenced again and again because that event does tie in to the themes. The War in Heaven is when Chaos was born.

"Chaos was born" isn't a theme, it's an event, and the War In Heaven is mentioned because it's literally the backstory of the Necrons and Eldar.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Bertilak posted:

I have a quick question. Are the Watchers of the throne or the Vault of Terra series worth a read? Are they friendly to a reader who doesn't read a ton of the continuity heavy books (ie I prefer the books that stand on their own without needing to know exactly the details of what is happening in the broader setting beyond what a passing knowledge of the major players gives)? If it helps, I recently read the Infinite and the Divine and Brutal Kunnin and loved both and I am working my way through the Ciaphas Cain series, which I am greatly enjoying.

HARD YES. First Vaults of Terra is one of my favorite 40k novels, period.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bertilak posted:

Watchers and Vaults are easily the best BL I have read, and Chris Wraight I think is by far the best they have. E: i kinda didnt answer your question at all! I think the books stand perfectly on their own, not having an encyclopedic knowledge of 40k lore wont get in the way of enjoying the books or following the plot

Also,
War in Heaven: dumb, bad
"Men of iron": cool, mysterious, good

Biplane fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 28, 2021

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

OPAONI posted:

What's the burn on the Imperium?

Also that whole book rules, I'm going to relisten.

quote:

‘Yes, master,’ said Koloma, hoisting himself onto his stiff legs and putting a hand on his cart.

Then he stopped, lingered.

‘My lord?’

Trazyn looked up at him, surprised he remained. ‘Yes?’

‘After my long service, may I ask a question?’

Trazyn considered. ‘You may.’

'Do you intend to destroy this world?’

Trazyn dismissed the phosglyph panel of research notes, folded his hands and looked at the diminished librarian.

‘That’s what you want to know?’

‘Yes. It would make my mind easier.’

‘Let me put it this way. I was here when this whole island was forest. When waves lapped on what is now Embassy Row. A time before pollutants hazed the air and the monsoon rains came naturally, not via cloud-seeding.’

He paused. ‘So when you ask whether I intend to destroy this world, my question to you is: do you truly need the help?’

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Thank you for the replies, seems like I shall be making some purchases then! Have a pleasant week!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

the funniest part though is that Trayzn does indeed destroy the world, albeit indirectly

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bertilak posted:

Thank you for the replies, seems like I shall be making some purchases then! Have a pleasant week!

:tipshat:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Biplane posted:

Watchers and Vaults are easily the best BL I have read, and Chris Wraight I think is by far the best they have.

The only issue I have with Watcher, and something that got stuck into my mind a bit after a friend mentioned it and I listened to the audiobook, is that the plot barely amounts to much and it's just a vehicle to explain why there's a Custodes army all of a sudden.
That is not to say it does a bad job at it, far from it.

It is however a bit weird that the central plot point is just there without much prompting.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Ah, yeah that's a good burn. The only relevant bit I could remember was the Space Marines who saved the settlement centuries ago were actually Trazyn and the Necrons.

The Infinite and The Divine posted:

‘You see the windows?’ Trazyn pointed at the stained glass, radiating in the bright morning sun. ‘Each panel charts the history of Serenade.’

‘Fascinating,’ said Orikan, clearly unimpressed with this parochialism. ‘Why are we here? I was given to understand that it was time to start our great task.’

‘It is. This is part of it. See the first? The God-Emperor shaping the mountains and islands of Serenade with His very hands. The first settle­ment ship exiting the empyrean, the angelic Saint Madrigal showing the way to Serenade with her blessed lyre – she is usually depicted with a sword, so this is a regional variation–’

‘Trazyn,’ warned Orikan, ‘immortality aside, my time is valuable.’

‘Oh, very well. Moving to the interesting part. Here we have the Greenskin War, as they call it. And who, my dear rival, is that in the next panel?’

Orikan looked up, dismissing the overlaid data-scroll he’d secretly been reading.

‘No.’

‘Oh yes.’

Storming through the square, meeting the greenskin onslaught, were a group of Space Marines: unusually tall and thin Space Marines, their helmets fashioned as leering skull-masks. The one in the lead appeared to be some kind of hooded Librarian, holding aloft a great lantern-headed staff that the glass orks recoiled from in horror.

‘Silver Skulls Chapter defeats the ork invasion,’ Trazyn said with clear relish. ‘There used to be a statue in the square, thirty khet high. They used to light candles and sing hymns to it. A few centuries ago the Inquisition got wind of it and did a little cleaning up. Removed it for “renovation” where it was never seen again.’

‘You stole it, did you not?’

‘Well, of course. And I hardly think it counts as stealing if it’s my likeness. It’s my statue, after all.’

Orikan snorted. ‘Worshipping a necron. Poor idiots. I suppose they have a head start on the rest of the galaxy. The Awakening is nearly imminent.’

There was a moment of contemplative silence.

‘Do you have a statue of yourself, Orikan?’

Orikan stalked deeper into the cathedral. ‘You are an obscene egotist.’

‘I only wonder if any cultures worship you as a living saint or spiritual protector. It is a simple binary question.’

‘Show me what you wanted to show me.’

Trayzn's, "I only wonder..." is probably the funniest line in the book for me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Alright, I'm buying that book ASAP.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Bucnasti posted:

Wasn't your whole argument that 40K wasn't influenced by Dune?
My argument is that it is only superficially influenced by Dune. Some guys think it's the core influence.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well if I hadn't already decided to read Infinite and the Divine over Double Eagle, these excerpts would have convinced me.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Another fundamental difference between Dune and Warhammer 40k is that, while 40k is absolutely dripping in Christian (particularly Catholic) Iconography, Dune is much more deeply rooted in Islamic imagery to the point that the Butlerian Jihad is foundational to the setting.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

One thing that 40K really ran with was the idea of recruiting people from death-worlds to be super soldiers. They're not posthuman killing machines in Dune, but the Sardaukar and the Fremen have echoes in numerous Imperial Guard regiments, as well as the Space Marine recruitment mindset.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Arquinsiel posted:

Alright, I'm buying that book ASAP.

You should! It is genuinely one of the best pieces of 40k fiction available. The Necrons are more human, if you don't mind the term, than the humans of the far future.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This would have been a great way to herald new Trazyn and Orikan models because if I'm being honest, the current ones are kind of meh.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kurzon posted:

My argument is that it is only superficially influenced by Dune. Some guys think it's the core influence.

Without Dune you really don't have a lot of iconic/core poo poo so yeah.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Another fundamental difference between Dune and Warhammer 40k is that, while 40k is absolutely dripping in Christian (particularly Catholic) Iconography, Dune is much more deeply rooted in Islamic imagery to the point that the Butlerian Jihad is foundational to the setting.

One cool part of Warhawk is we find out the origin of why the Imperium loves skull iconography so much.

Also, two non-spoiler (but I'll still spoiler them) words to get you excited: Sigismund unleashed!

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Consider me excited!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m read lexicanum and Titans and way too small. The smallest ones should be like 300’ tall and the biggest ones should be like a mile tall.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

euphronius posted:

I’m read lexicanum and Titans and way too small. The smallest ones should be like 300’ tall and the biggest ones should be like a mile tall.

Imagine that elevator ride to the top.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Jesus, not even any new episodes on Warhammer tv this week? We got a preview of future Hammer and Bolter, which I don’t want spoiled so I won’t watch that, and a behind the scenes for Angels of Death, which I don’t care at all. Neat stuff.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Eh...For one thing GW/BL has always been bad at scale. That being said, the sizes of Titans vary greatly depending on the source, it's something GW and BL authors have been very inconsistent with. An Imperator Titan is as big as 140 meters in some sources. That's about 40 stories. Think of a 40 story building. That's incredibly massive and I think does the idea of a Titan justice. The smallest ones though are way too small in all sources IMO.

Edit: The Burj Khalifa is just a smidge over half a mile tall. Mile high Titans would be too ridiculous for even 40k. At that size they would be completely unkillable by anything other than other Titans or orbital bombardment. Titans are hard af to kill but there are still ways to do it short of those methods i.e. Shadowswords and the like.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 30, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, Shadowswords do mount titan guns on them so that's reasonable.

D-Pad posted:

One cool part of Warhawk is we find out the origin of why the Imperium loves skull iconography so much.
Okay since I'm likely decades away from reading Warhawk, if I ever do, please explain this in spoilers.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Oh boy Grey Knights XCOM...sign me up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erFug5CaCJw

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Grey Knights using cover? They should be protected by their faith.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

quote:

Experience life in the 41st millennium and follow the journey of these elite warriors in a narrative penned by acclaimed Black Library author, Aaron Dembski-Bowden.
Don’t mind if I do.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I wonder if every squad member gets psyker powers?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Finished Warhawk. An absolute masterpiece. Easily the best book of the SoT so far. I'm not going to spoil anything since it's releasing in a day or so.

This is the book where the dream of Unity dies and the modern 40k Imperium is born. It's incredibly cool and interesting to see how that happened and Wraight does it masterfully. One example I mentioned earlier is seeing just where the modern Imperium's skull fetish came from, but beyond that we see the attitudes and beliefs of the loyalists start to shift as things get a million times worse for them. We get a decent amount of POV from multiple Chaos characters and he really nails it. Particularly the Death Guard is still relatively new to what is happening to them and we get various viewpoints on how they feel about it. Sigismund is finally unleashed and we get to see his deeds that were described in old lore. There are some really big things that I don't think anybody at all will see coming.

loving AAA+ book. Get it immediately when it releases on Saturday.

Ego-bot posted:

I wonder if every squad member gets psyker powers?

Every Grey Knight is a psyker?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

D-Pad posted:

Every Grey Knight is a psyker?

Yes but only a few are ranked Librarians to have a full skill set of psychic powers in a game.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

D-Pad posted:

Finished Warhawk. An absolute masterpiece. Easily the best book of the SoT so far. I'm not going to spoil anything since it's releasing in a day or so.

This is the book where the dream of Unity dies and the modern 40k Imperium is born. It's incredibly cool and interesting to see how that happened and Wraight does it masterfully. One example I mentioned earlier is seeing just where the modern Imperium's skull fetish came from, but beyond that we see the attitudes and beliefs of the loyalists start to shift as things get a million times worse for them. We get a decent amount of POV from multiple Chaos characters and he really nails it. Particularly the Death Guard is still relatively new to what is happening to them and we get various viewpoints on how they feel about it. Sigismund is finally unleashed and we get to see his deeds that were described in old lore. There are some really big things that I don't think anybody at all will see coming.

loving AAA+ book. Get it immediately when it releases on Saturday.

Reading this, nerd-tears in my loving eyes as I think to myself "it won't be available in paperback for loving two years".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dingo with a joint posted:

Reading this, nerd-tears in my loving eyes as I think to myself "it won't be available in paperback for loving two years".

Kindle books can be read on read.amazon.com if you're sincerely desperate.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Looks like its another win for terrible loving eyesight. :colbert:

Honestly I don't think I've read a physical book for 10 years at this point. Thank god for text resizing.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

D-Pad posted:

Oh boy Grey Knights XCOM...sign me up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erFug5CaCJw

I have warm memories of the original Chaos Gate, though it was janky and buggy as gently caress. But it was heartfelt, interesting to play and really captured the feel of WH40k.

And new I realized that it was over two decades ago, and I am sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The original Chaos Gate rules.