Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Sininu posted:

I had Sony WH1000XM3 headphones for a year and its microphone was so garbage I never used it after first two times because people just couldn't understand half of what I was saying. I doubt their "lesser" headsets have better microphones.

Can’t speak to the WH1000XM3s, but I’ve got their WF-1000XM4s and I haven’t had any issues with people understanding me FWIW. So this may have been improved in newer models. And they do last quite a long time (though I’d recommend getting a longer charging cable or wireless pad for charging, as the cable they come with is super short).

Edit: these also have an ambient sound mode that works well, despite being earbuds and not over the ear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

Homie don't get earbuds, get over the ear headphones. Earbuds do have lovely battery life. The headphones I suggested even have "ambient sound" mode that pipes through outside noise if blocking out surroundings is a concern

Yeah she just tried my Raycon and Panasonic bluetooth earbuds and they both sounded like crap to the other caller.

So we're just gonna plug in the wired earbuds with the built in mic and she'll just ask the caller to hold for a moment while she gets her headset set up, then plug it in.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
You could also try one of those audio jack to Bluetooth adapters, which would let you use any Bluetooth headset you want. Assuming she's okay with wearing the headset the entire time she's on call to hear the call, of course.

e: I should read more carefully, it's already been mentioned. :doh:

isndl fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 18, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

gently caress can't believe I got trolled so bad

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Yeah she just tried my Raycon and Panasonic bluetooth earbuds and they both sounded like crap to the other caller.

So we're just gonna plug in the wired earbuds with the built in mic and she'll just ask the caller to hold for a moment while she gets her headset set up, then plug it in.

She could try a BT headset designed for call center use, something like this one.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Saukkis posted:

She could try a BT headset designed for call center use, something like this one.

I've had a couple of these over the last few years, I think mine was $25. It's pretty great, especially for the price.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Re: quality of bluetooth headset mics, there's the quality of the mic itself and also the quality of the bluetooth connection. Two people with the exact same headset could easily have very different experiences if one of them was connecting to a PC that was selecting a low data rate for the connection.

(Also Win7 was terrible for bluetooth audio, so if your result for terrible mic quality was with a Win7 PC you should retest on 10.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 18, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

Re: quality of bluetooth headset mics, there's the quality of the mic itself and also the quality of the bluetooth connection. Two people with the exact same headset could easily have very different experiences if one of them was connecting to a PC that was selecting a low data rate for the connection.

(Also Win7 was terrible for bluetooth audio, so if your result for terrible mic quality was with a Win7 PC you should retest on 10.)

This is true. For my Poly Voyager 5200 I had to go into the settings and tell it to use HD voice or some poo poo. And Bluetooth on Windows 7 was indeed way worse than Windows 10 - that's one thing that they massively improved.

I don't recall needing to do that with my Jabra Talk 25, and those are so cheap that getting a couple of them to get around concerns for battery life is not a big deal. They also have lasted me for 6 hours of talk time, and way longer on standby. The Poly headset manages roughly the same, but does seem to drain a little faster with talk time.

The range on the Jabra is pretty good, but the range on the Poly is pretty amazing. I've been able to maintain a connection over 40 feet through an exterior wall and 15-20' of hillside. That's connecting to a PC with a PCIe wifi/Bluetooth card and external antenna, but still seemed pretty drat impressive. The range connected to cellphones isn't as good, but I figure that's to be expected.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Saukkis posted:

19 hour talk time is pretty nice. Probably going to go this route. Thank you.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

19 hour talk time is pretty nice. Probably going to go this route. Thank you.

There are probably many similar models. As an insurance you should search the specs and reviews for a model that allows using them while charging, that way it would be possible to plug in USB power pack and still stay mobile. I use a PS4 headset that allows this which is a great improvement over my previous headset with turns off while charging. It was a big annoyance if I had forgot to charge them.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I use the xbox wireless headset on my pc with the xbox adapter and it's pretty good as I don't have to deal with bluetooth for wireless, it has bluetooth for mobile device. The Bang & Olufsen Beoplay Portal which also has built in xbox wireless seems pretty good.

Also tried the ps5 dualsense but uh it has a pretty bad microphone

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’ve been using Groupy by (loving) Stardock for a while and it’s a little stupid how effective just adding tabs are to a bunch of Microsoft things are for organizing everything and making things easier to navigate and use.

Multiple Excel windows, multiple instances of Explorer, it’s good poo poo. How is it 2021 and Explorer still doesn’t have tabs.

E: they even announced and then killed Sets, which is exactly this use case. Just let the guys running PowerToys gently caress with it, cmon.

jokes fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 23, 2021

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
My Windows 10 laptop is having trouble connecting my Roku TV to use it as a screen extension lately. It was working for a month, but now it doesn't show up when I try to start the project from the action center or use "Connect". It was able to do it before because the laptop and TV were both on the same wireless network, and they still are. My phone can still connect to the TV and use it as a screen like it could before. The only thing that changed was my laptop had a battery outage, and then had to update. That's when the problem started.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

NotNut posted:

My Windows 10 laptop is having trouble connecting my Roku TV to use it as a screen extension lately. It was working for a month, but now it doesn't show up when I try to start the project from the action center or use "Connect". It was able to do it before because the laptop and TV were both on the same wireless network, and they still are. My phone can still connect to the TV and use it as a screen like it could before. The only thing that changed was my laptop had a battery outage, and then had to update. That's when the problem started.

Is your laptop showing your home network as private or public? If it decided that the connection is public that might do it.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there any way to view a log of manual shutdowns of the computer? I.e. not crashes.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I got a weird one here. We had a power outage the other day (transformer blew up) and it seemed to have destroyed my ThinkPad. After it happened, my laptop would no longer accept a charge in the charging port. The crazy thing is I opened it up and found a fuse on the motherboard that wasn't showing continuity on my multimeter, so I temporarily bridged it to see if it would fix it and it did not, which is weird because I did not find any other fuses not showing continuity.

Anyway I put it back together and it turned out I bought the premier extended warranty for it and I somehow forgot about that, and even though the laptop is from 2017, I still have 2 years left. I must have bought it because it's the ThinkPad T25 anniversary edition and I want it to last me forever. Good thing I bought the warranty, which would be the first time in my entire life I've ever done that.

Anyway a Lenovo technician came to my house yesterday and replaced the motherboard and all is good except I noticed Windows 10 takes a really long time to boot and when i am in Windows 10, everything is really slow. Stuff like loading a webpage takes probably 5-10x longer than usual.

I did all the dism and chkdsk commands and it didn't help. Then I looked at the CPU monitor in task manager and noticed this:

The CPU is a 7500U; capable of running at 3ghz and it's running at 700mhz. I never had this issue with the old motherboard, so I am wondering what could be going on?

I checked the motherboards while he replaced them and they are 100% identical so I don't think it's Windows making GBS threads itself because of driver issues or whatever. I made sure the motherboard's BIOS were up to date and it was.

I also changed the power settings in Windows so that the "minimal CPU state" is 100%, even on battery. It didn't seem to help.

I just checked my Windows 10 desktop PC and this is what it looks like on that:

It's showing the full speed of the CPU there (hell, it's showing even higher than the full CPU speed even though it's not overclocked).

Is there any way to get the laptop to behave the same way? I don't really care about battery life as this thing is plugged in 99% of the time.

Is there any reason Windows is throttling it so crazily? 700mhz is stupidly low. This is all while I am doing a ton of stuff on the computer, too, so it's not just staying there because I have nothing opened. I even tried re-doing the thermal paste today with Arctic Silver 5 but it made no difference.

Celexi posted:

I use the xbox wireless headset on my pc with the xbox adapter and it's pretty good as I don't have to deal with bluetooth for wireless, it has bluetooth for mobile device. The Bang & Olufsen Beoplay Portal which also has built in xbox wireless seems pretty good.

Also tried the ps5 dualsense but uh it has a pretty bad microphone

Sorry for the stupid questions I am a bit confused. It's wireless, but you don't have to use bluetooth? But it uses bluetooth for mobile devices? What does that mean?

Also, what adapter are you referring to? To use it on your PC you need an adapter, even though it's wireless and supports bluetooth?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PirateBob posted:

Is there any way to view a log of manual shutdowns of the computer? I.e. not crashes.

Klyith posted:

2. Event Viewer - follow these instructions. This will will show you all shutdowns including intentional ones. A shutdown that you did yourself will look like:
"The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe (COMPUTER) has initiated the restart of computer COMPUTER on behalf of user COMPUTER\User for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found"

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

I did that with Event Viewer filtered by: 41,1074,6006,6605,6008. None of the shutdowns in the last 2 weeks are in the log. And there are similar week or two week long gaps in other parts of the log.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

The CPU is a 7500U; capable of running at 3ghz and it's running at 700mhz. I never had this issue with the old motherboard, so I am wondering what could be going on?
use some system monitoring tool that can show the CPU temp and see if it's really hot, running constantly at 700MHz sounds like something might have gotten hosed with the heatsink

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Malloc Voidstar posted:

use some system monitoring tool that can show the CPU temp and see if it's really hot, running constantly at 700MHz sounds like something might have gotten hosed with the heatsink

Yeah this is almost certainly temperature-based throttling--my Thinkpad used to do the same thing periodically. Try running Lenovo System update to make sure you have all BIOS/chipset updates, I may be completely wrong but I feel like there may have been some thermal throttling goofiness that was patched out a few years ago.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is your laptop showing your home network as private or public? If it decided that the connection is public that might do it.

It was showing it as public when it stopped working a week ago, and I changed it to private then, and it didn't make a difference.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the replies. I downloaded HWMonitor to see and this is what I get:

Is that hot enough that I would get this crazy throttling?

Not sure what it could be; I did the thermal paste myself (Arctic Silver 5) and I did a real good job cleaning the old thermal paste off of the fan.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Not sure what it could be; I did the thermal paste myself (Arctic Silver 5) and I did a real good job cleaning the old thermal paste off of the fan.

80c isn't throttle temperature, but is that pic with the machine idle or with prime95 or something else that generates load? If it's idle that's real hot even for a laptop, if it's with load it's fine.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

80c isn't throttle temperature, but is that pic with the machine idle or with prime95 or something else that generates load? If it's idle that's real hot even for a laptop, if it's with load it's fine.

Thanks for the reply! It's with a boatload of Firefox tabs opened (I have a problem) but nothing intensive otherwise. It's the same amount of tabs I had opened last week when the old motherboard still worked, and there was no throttling.

Also the laptop has RAM slots and I upgraded it to 64 gb which I think is more important for tab hoarding than the CPU is.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Thanks for the reply! It's with a boatload of Firefox tabs opened (I have a problem) but nothing intensive otherwise. It's the same amount of tabs I had opened last week when the old motherboard still worked, and there was no throttling.

Also the laptop has RAM slots and I upgraded it to 64 gb which I think is more important for tab hoarding than the CPU is.

Yeah, that is outrageously hot. Something happened during reassembly. It may be that proper contact isn't being made between the coldplate and cpu, or that the fans aren't running, or something else similar. In any case, I think it's time for another call to Lenovo.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

One thing the screenshot you posted shows is that the CPU is running at almost 2 ghz. So it is running as it should it seems. That 700 mhz you saw is below what Intel says is the lowest the CPU can run at with it's lowest thermal setting (TDP). Also officially, it thermal throttle's at 100c.

I did notice that the max official memory amount supported is 32 GB. Wouldn't effect the temps/speeds you are seeing, but you might not be using all that 64 GB you put in.

First thing I would check is to make sure the fan/fans are running. It can be pretty easy to overlook plugging those back in.

I'd almost say to check the heatsinks and make sure they aren't clogged, as that simply happens over time, but it doesn't seem like you were having temperature issues before. Usually it's fairly easy to check though. Take a look at the heatsink on the fan side. A can of compressed air can usually clean them out.

I'd guess your application of the Artic Silver was fine. Unless you gooped it on (turning it into a thermal wall), it's probably fine.

Something I ran into with a laptop very recently is the cooling for the GPU side of the chip. It didn't have any direct contact with the heatpipe, instead it used a thermal pad. Long story short, the original one fell out when I upgraded to a SSD and I didn't notice. The laptop would barely run without that pad as it was heating up the entire CPU (since it's all on one chip). Once I put in a new one the thing ran stable as can be.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If they're at 80C near idle, then I have to imagine that the CPU will instantly throttle the moment it does any actual work.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I got the TV cast working. Factory resetting the TV seemed to do it for some reason.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

That screenshot is showing 70% CPU utilization, which seems way too much if the laptop is idling. But that utilization feels align with 2GHz speed and the temperature. Similarly your first pic only had 14% CPU utilization, which could match with the 700MHz speed. CPUs always run at slow speed when the utilization is low.

You should close all other programs, maybe reboot the laptop and only start HWmonitor. When the CPU utilization is in single digits the CPU speed should be low, maybe below 1GHz and CPU temps could be below 50 degrees. Then you could run Prime95 and check what the speed and temps are at 100% utilization.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
You all are the best. I opened up the laptop (God bless the philips screws on Thinkpads) and I took out the fan. I looked at the underside of it and only saw thermal paste on the side for the gpu. Absolutely no thermal paste on the cpu side. Meaning it was never making contact with the cpu.

I don't fault the tech because it definitely appeared to be screwed in tight. These things are really flimsy and easy to bend so maybe it was misshapen and that's why it wasn't making contact.

Regardless I bent the poo poo out of it and screwed it in super tight and now I'm getting temps of 50-70 degrees (it flies all over seemingly randomly, but still at worst 10 degrees cooler and at best 30 degrees cooler).

Honestly I'm surprised the laptop didn't force shut down or even fry. The cpu wasn't receiving any cooling at all! Crazy!

Thanks again so much for all the help!

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 30, 2021

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Uh, you still probably want to put thermal grease on the CPU. It is absolutely the tech's fault they didn't do that. Unless that specific model of laptop is designed to not need it and just go bareback with the heatsink? I can't imagine any CPU/cooling assembly is like that, though. Maybe there's supposed to be a pad there instead. I dunno, I would call the tech company and talk to them about this.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
There is thermal grease on it. I put Arctic Silver 5 on it. When I took the fan out I noticed none of the paste transferred to the heatsink, meaning it never made contact with the cpu.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

There is thermal grease on it. I put Arctic Silver 5 on it. When I took the fan out I noticed none of the paste transferred to the heatsink, meaning it never made contact with the cpu.

I looked up what I am pretty sure is your laptop and found a teardown here.

I can see how that heat pipe setup could bend to a point where it wouldn't be making good contact, especially if it bowed. The screws would be in, but it wouldn't have sufficient contact with the die, and the thermal compound would become a wall rather than a transfer.

Both those plates would need to be flat to their respective chips (the smaller of the two is the CPU according to that teardown). Remember, thermal paste is meant to be used almost to the point of sparingly. It is there to fill in the micro gaps and scratches. Manufacturer's always goop the stuff on and let the pressure of the mounting squirt it out.

Also, with what you said earlier about what cpu is in there, well, Intel stuff tends to run on the hotter side of "normal". Add in a rather thin laptop with almost minimal cooling, and 70-80 while under moderate load really isn't going to be out of normal. It should be 40-50's at idle (give or take a bit depending on ambient).

One thing I did notice in those teardown pictures, there is a small chip, right next to the plug for the fan, that has a little thermal pad on it, and a wing attached to the top of the heat pipe. I'd check to make sure that still has it's pad (you can order a small sheet of the stuff for around 12-20 bucks US), and the little wing has pressure. If that chip is a VRM, they can get extremely hot. If it trying to cool completely passively and temp's start to spike, the voltages would start going crazy, effecting your CPU speeds.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ofecks posted:

Uh, you still probably want to put thermal grease on the CPU. It is absolutely the tech's fault they didn't do that. Unless that specific model of laptop is designed to not need it and just go bareback with the heatsink? I can't imagine any CPU/cooling assembly is like that, though. Maybe there's supposed to be a pad there instead. I dunno, I would call the tech company and talk to them about this.

IBM's Power CPUs are grease-free. Part of the "quickly replaceable in the field" design of all their things. But the amount of engineering that goes into the contact pad for the 3.5U tall heatsink is part of why these servers are $100k.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

AlexDeGruven posted:

IBM's Power CPUs are grease-free. Part of the "quickly replaceable in the field" design of all their things. But the amount of engineering that goes into the contact pad for the 3.5U tall heatsink is part of why these servers are $100k.

That's interesting, it seems to me like for the applications where that could be useful it'd have been simpler to just design the heatsink to be part of the CPU module so they ship assembled and are replaced as one. It's not like the cost of the heatsink is even meaningful next to a modern CPU.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

wolrah posted:

That's interesting, it seems to me like for the applications where that could be useful it'd have been simpler to just design the heatsink to be part of the CPU module so they ship assembled and are replaced as one. It's not like the cost of the heatsink is even meaningful next to a modern CPU.

As it's been said in meetings where we're griping about some odd decision in AIX or something related: IBM doesn't do things without a reason.

While it seems like that makes sense on the surface, it doesn't really when you understand how IBM lays out hardware. Additionally, a CPU package on it's own ships at about 1lb, but the heatsink itself is easily 2lb of copper and aluminum, which would dramatically increase shipping costs, especially with 4-hour service contracts which means really expensive courier services (I had a network card thrown on a truck at 10pm in Grand Rapids and at the datacenter by 3am. It was the ONLY package on the run).

Especially in the era of the just launched Power10, where the CPU packaging actually has cable connections on it for the purpose of intra-socket/drawer communication (instead of going through the system planar, as any IBM geeks here will realize is a huge performance change).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not an IBM geek but we have an iSeries and we had a CPU go out and an IBM tech came on site and hot swapped it and it was rad as hell.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Not an IBM geek but we have an iSeries and we had a CPU go out and an IBM tech came on site and hot swapped it and it was rad as hell.

Yeah, it's crazy how well that stuff works. There are very few bits in a pSeries/iSeries (they're the same hardware now) box that can't be swapped live.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

AlexDeGruven posted:

As it's been said in meetings where we're griping about some odd decision in AIX or something related: IBM doesn't do things without a reason.
Of course, and I did at one point have something along the lines of "obviously I'm not smarter than IBM engineers so I'm probably missing something". That said, we all know that sometimes IBM does things for reasons that make perfect sense to IBM but either doesn't benefit or possibly even harms some of their users (especially in the wallets).

quote:

While it seems like that makes sense on the surface, it doesn't really when you understand how IBM lays out hardware. Additionally, a CPU package on it's own ships at about 1lb, but the heatsink itself is easily 2lb of copper and aluminum, which would dramatically increase shipping costs, especially with 4-hour service contracts which means really expensive courier services (I had a network card thrown on a truck at 10pm in Grand Rapids and at the datacenter by 3am. It was the ONLY package on the run).
That makes sense regarding the shipping costs. When I think about POWER systems at this point my mind jumps to rooms full of racks of CPUs so my mindset was one of "they'll just have some spares on hand" which I realize is probably not representative of most installations.

quote:

Especially in the era of the just launched Power10, where the CPU packaging actually has cable connections on it for the purpose of intra-socket/drawer communication (instead of going through the system planar, as any IBM geeks here will realize is a huge performance change).
That's interesting, so there are high speed cables plugging in to the top of the package to augment the socket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

wolrah posted:

That's interesting, so there are high speed cables plugging in to the top of the package to augment the socket?

It's pretty wild. It's for multi-drawer systems. You can get the enterprise systems in 1, 2, 3, and 4 drawer setups. In the case of P10, each drawer has 4 sockets and 64 DIMM slots. In the past, each drawer was connected to the other via cables off the main board, and the signaling (25GB/sec) was handled by the chipset. They have moved that signaling to the CPU package itself, as well as bumped it up to 1TB/sec. So there is lower latency and more bandwidth. This allows the 4 drawer system to act much closer to a single chassis with up to 240 cores and 16TB of RAM.