Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Marq Quen lost the tails and that's why AEW is racist.

we all know it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

They had a great match with the Bucks early on (but if you can't have a good match with the Bucks I'd wonder what you're doing as a tag team) but the holes in their work started to show after that. Working with Matt has helped them a lot and I could definitely buy them getting pushed harder now.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

STAC Goat posted:

There's also kind of a kernel of truth to the idea that Private Party started off in the same place as guys like Jungle Boy and Darby Allin but got kind of left behind in the process, or at least not pushed the way it seemed they would. But of course booking calculus is such an alchemy science of different factors that blinding chalking that up to racism instead of random chance or development or whatever is impossible to do fairly.

And yeah, for whatever fair criticisms there are of AEW when it comes to black performers its absurd to compare them to WWE as if they didn't go decades without pushing any black stars or that it didn't take a decade+ for guys like Big E and Kofi to get a shot, or that their pushes are questionable, or that there's a pile of blatant overt racism on WWE's record.

I don't think Private Party really started at the same place, because the tag division was much deeper than the singles.

Jungle Boy and Darby didn't have the same amount of people ahead of them. There was also the injury to Luchasaurus that took JB out of the tag division entirely for a while.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I like that private party wear crushed velvet shirts like the early Hardy Bros.

Just wish Matt would wear one too

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I like that private party wear crushed velvet shirts like the early Hardy Bros.

Just wish Matt would wear one too

he's learned from the mistakes of others

https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/1278910292076961793

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

in another year, I'm pretty sure Hobbs/Starks/Jade/PP will all be even better but aside from Starks, they're all still improving, If AEW had someone like Strickland or Gresham I'm sure they'd be having regular bangers but they don't and most of their black talent is still green compared to the talent WWE has that have been working for 10+ years

I just think the "all elite whites" tweets are really loving gross considering the amount of hugely pushed Mexican/Japanese talent in the promotion

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's no question that the people just ignoring any non-black POC are gross and racist in their own right.

The "problem" is a much more nuanced and complicated one. Its why we can come up with explanations for why Private Party aren't stars or Scorpio isn't but also doing that over and over just kind of reinforces the lack of someone who is to serve as a counter example. So its just gonna be a thing until a Hobbs or Starks or whoever breaks through.

And in and of itself I think thats good. Pressure and criticism are good. They help bring about change and make things better. But there will be people who are unfair about it or use it as a weapon to fight their stupid war. But that's why this thread exists, no?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i miss anthony ogogo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This whole discussion ignores that Ricky Starks is already clearly marked as a top guy anyway. He'll have a TNT reign under his belt by this time next year

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Private Party screaming is hilarious and awesome what the hell

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It was only recently I learned via Swole's tweets that some black people would like to be separated from the POC label and when you're talking about them you're talking about black people. Which as a white guy my response was sure whatever you want. It's why I really don't begrudge this kind of criticism because it's really not might fight and I think people should be able to feel how they want about the amount of POC and Black wrestlers with good pushes.

But what I hate are the clearly bad faith takes. They bring down everyone else making great points.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/FrankFrizzle19/status/1442662890574581771

honestly just posting this so i can get the image sometime in the future

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I really hope that I get to live to see the day AEW wins something in both the overall and key demo just to see the new goalpost.

I assume it'll be something like yeah ok whatever it was one week - let's see them do it for 40 years then I'll be impressed

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm glad it's not my job to troll these idiots but I'm also glad people like bryan and bix are out there doing it professionally

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shard posted:

I really hope that I get to live to see the day AEW wins something in both the overall and key demo just to see the new goalpost.

I assume it'll be something like yeah ok whatever it was one week - let's see them do it for 40 years then I'll be impressed

That's exactly what it'll be. Or have them do it as long as WCW did. It'll always be something. Be in business since 1950, then we'll talk!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Shard posted:

"WCW beat WWE for 83 weeks in the ratings and they've been dead for twenty years. I'm supposed to be impressed by AEW beating WWE for one week? 😂"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

"WCW beat WWE for 83 weeks in the ratings and they've been dead for twenty years. I'm supposed to be impressed by AEW beating WWE for one week? 😂"

Someone is going to post that word for word.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

karmicknight posted:

Probably with more emojis though and a Roman Reigns gif.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

karmicknight posted:

On SCJerk or Public Enemies Podcast Twitter comments.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

If I cared enough about trolling twitter randos I'd post this ironically to see how many people took the bait and agree but instead I'm gonna go play Resident Evil 5

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
This dude responded to me tweet about Vince's "freedom of expression" comment in the 9/13/2001 SmackDown documentary with...this:

Then he responded with this after I replied by expressing confusion:

Then he blocked me and deleted the tweets before I could reply and ask for examples.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

davidbix posted:

This dude responded to me tweet about Vince's "freedom of expression" comment in the 9/13/2001 SmackDown documentary with...this:

Then he responded with this after I replied by expressing confusion:

Then he blocked me and deleted the tweets before I could reply and ask for examples.

how are you posting from a gold boat

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I get the feeling that guy is working on a manifesto in his free time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The jet fuel of your distasteful and divisive "journalism" motivated by greed can't melt the steel beams of the WWE, David Bixenspan, if that is, indeed, your real name.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TheKingslayer posted:

I get the feeling that guy is working on a manifesto in his free time.

It's 2043, AEW has been the #1 wrestling company in America for 10 years, Smackdown currently airs on POP TV. "Yeah AEW may be winning in the ratings right now but have they ever done a stadium show in Saudi Arabia? WWE has worldwide flex"

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
you have no one to blame but yourself Bix, what with your countless tactical airstrikes and harrying sorties launched against Titan Towers

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
bix is in the COCKpit with his hand on the joystick

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's wild to me when people think journalists are insanely wealthy

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
it's hilarious when it's so much easier to make money in wrestling by grifting some regional sports outlet as a WWE Reporter and most of them know next to nothing about wrestling and just write uncritical grade school level book reports of WWE shows and live tweet all the shows with brand approved hashtags

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Bix is a couple of payments away from rolling up to Titan Towers in a Jeep with a pipe on it tank.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I think the biggest thing that hurt private party was their brand was the most insane flyers in the company, jump higher, flip more etc. Then top flight got signed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cagliostr0 posted:

I think the biggest thing that hurt private party was their brand was the most insane flyers in the company, jump higher, flip more etc. Then top flight got signed.

They lost momentum months before Top Flight came in and are in a better position now than a year ago. Summer of 2020 they felt like they'd plateaued, the heel turn gave them a lot of life.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think other than the triple threat at Full Gear 2019, their buy-in match against Best Friends at DoN 2020 was what made me realize they still needed a lot of work.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

cagliostr0 posted:

Just let Marq Quen hit that shooting star press once a week and all will be right in the world. Maybe the smoothest SSP I've ever seen.

Also, once all four of those guys have some more polish a match between them would be insane. I think Private Party has grown from just being the crazy high flyer guys with their HFO association and heel turn. They've got much more dimension to them than they had when AEW first started.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pylons posted:

I think other than the triple threat at Full Gear 2019, their buy-in match against Best Friends at DoN 2020 was what made me realize they still needed a lot of work.

I think the quarantine BTEs was where I started to see Private Party really shine. They're really weird dudes and I love them.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

coconono posted:

I think the quarantine BTEs was where I started to see Private Party really shine. They're really weird dudes and I love them.

Sammy vlog private party is so much more entertaining than dynamite private party

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I really appreciate that Private Party don't use the Silly String regularly anymore. I'm fine with it as an occasional move, but it's so contrived that when it's used every match it becomes annoying.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Private Party really suffered during the pandemic; all the clubs were closed. They even had to fire their bouncer!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Davros1 posted:

Private Party really suffered during the pandemic; all the clubs were closed. They even had to fire their bouncer!

money was so tight they had to fight each other for the $7.35 that Hangman Pussypants Page owed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

cagliostr0 posted:

Sammy vlog private party is so much more entertaining than dynamite private party

It's too bad their segments only last a minute