Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

also basically if you posted in cspam at all ever please scrub any pii from your post history

i have thirty thousand posts on this forum, if they come for me, well.... It's impossible to go through all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im just gonna hope the pii ive posted is vague enough for nobody to bother

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

there's no hell quite like reading your old posts

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

you should change your av to "i'm fart simpson, who the smell are you?!" XD

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Asleep Style posted:

there's no hell quite like reading your old posts

funny, i was gonna say that about you too

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

fart simpson posted:

I'm actually looking at you right now from my binoculars.

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 29, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
edit that out. wrong day for it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

has anyone compiled a list of all the irredeemable poo poo c-spam has done?

impossible

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
What We Do In The CSPAM

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Jonny 290 posted:

What We Do In The CSPAM

democracy dies in lol. lmao.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm actually looking at you right now from my binoculars.

filthy

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

fart simpson posted:

funny, i was gonna say that about you too

I've been owned

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

put the small penis away fart simpson, no one wants to see that

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

has anyone compiled a list of all the irredeemable poo poo facebook has done? trying to convince some people to delete their accounts and i just have to say “i keep reading about terrible poo poo in actual news sources” which is fine for me but someone’s gotta have a list of bad poo poo or something right?

there was a documentary released recently that was clear enough that even my parents realized what a piece of poo poo that company is

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

has anyone compiled a list of all the irredeemable poo poo facebook has done? trying to convince some people to delete their accounts and i just have to say “i keep reading about terrible poo poo in actual news sources” which is fine for me but someone’s gotta have a list of bad poo poo or something right?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=103253

hes actually a nice dude afaict

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
The group who “rescued” McCarron from the hospital were members of the Common Law Information Centre, a local group formed in the wake of the last recession to help property developers.

lol, what a great group of guys.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

rekt

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

nobody can find the CLIC

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I wonder, do they have a CLIC Commander?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

I know I've read something like this, but I've never found it after I first saw it. I distinctly remember that it exclusively referred to Facebook users as "useds," complete with a footnote explaining why.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

This article gives a good executive summary, but it mostly links elsewhere, so the impact of each point is a bit diminished:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/88nyn4/forget-facebook-destroying-democracy-mark-zuckerberg-is-worried-about-his-surfboard

This one is a bit in the weeds but covers some of the same material:
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/09/facebook-paid-ftc-4-9b-more-than-required-to-shield-zuckerberg-lawsuit-alleges/

If they're in the US, they can watch the PBS Frontline two-parter called The Facebook Dilemma. It's a few years old, but very well researched and produced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T48KFiHwexM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuA4qxPbpQE
(PBS content is blocked outside the US iirc)

And if they have Netflix there's the Social Dilemma documentary, which is pretty high-level as far as how dark patterns work with social media, how it increases extremism, etc.

The problem generally with a summary is that FB has just done SO much bad poo poo. Like if there is a way to exploit people, skirt the law, and behave unethically, they've done it, usually in ways that are hard to digest if you don't already understand the tech industry. You just can't boil it down to something like "Hitler and nazis were bad because holocaust." It's all stuff like "algorithms optimized to drive engagement reinforce extremist views and for most non-western regions of the world FB has not invested in localized moderation despite seeing massive usage growth so there have been numerous incidents of misinformation spreading and having real-world implications, to the extent that there was a period of ethnic cleansing in Myanmar specifically facilitated by Facebook".

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Though I mean the tl;dr of "Facebook caused genocide" isn't bad but in the current political climate I think it's easy to hand-wave as exaggeration. Even though it's not. And Zuckerberg and Sandberg have never had to answer for any of it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jonny 290 posted:

i have thirty thousand posts on this forum, if they come for me, well.... It's impossible to go through all that.

lol several billennia ago when I had mod buttons I banned someone who had been shitposting (the bad kind) up a storm an I saw a 'Delete all users posts' link - oh why not? and then the forums completely froze up for a minute and I thought oops.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

is that why you don't have mod buttons anymore

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol several billennia ago when I had mod buttons I banned someone who had been shitposting (the bad kind) up a storm an I saw a 'Delete all users posts' link - oh why not? and then the forums completely froze up for a minute and I thought oops.

:eyepop:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

thanks, radium

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hah that cold spine moment of "wait was that 'delete all users posts' or 'delete all users posts'..?"

I guess it was just a big lumpy database delete that tied up the server for a bit but yeah :eyepoop:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i forgot you were a mod back when hbag was a zygote

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

some of the very earliest bans in the lepers colony records are nmn banning people for image leeching

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

I read the comments. Don't know what I was expecting.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

with this whole thing with tiny toes or whatever their name is, is there actually anything pointing to the forums being bothered by chuds? if so is there somewhere i can go to see what the mod plan is to handle it? i come here to poo poo post about computers in a relatively chud free environment.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

moonshine is...... posted:

with this whole thing with tiny toes or whatever their name is, is there actually anything pointing to the forums being bothered by chuds? if so is there somewhere i can go to see what the mod plan is to handle it? i come here to poo poo post about computers in a relatively chud free environment.

Andy Ngo pointed at Something Awful and said "the shooter came from there". Given that Ngo has a pretty long history of pointing out targets for chuds, it's a logical conclusion that some would head this way to do some bothering. That said, the paywall is back up on a lot of forums, and presumably the mods are aware and ready to quickly ban any new accounts that show up and either start acting chud-y or start posting "how do you do a terrorism, fellow leftists?"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

Andy Ngo pointed at Something Awful and said "the shooter came from there". Given that Ngo has a pretty long history of pointing out targets for chuds

never heard of the guy before. sounds like a real prick

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

akadajet posted:

never heard of the guy before

lucky you

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

That said, the paywall is back up on a lot of forums

as of right now it's back up globally. need to be logged in to view the forum index even

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

as of right now it's back up globally. need to be logged in to view the forum index even

really, this is how it should be. I don't need my poo poo posts indexed by google

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

akadajet posted:

really, this is how it should be. I don't need my poo poo posts indexed by google

very big same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
thanks for the fb horror links my dudes