Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

UnMetal is a goddamn mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

UnMetal is a goddamn mess
How cringe is the comedy compared to unepic? That game's writing was wretched

They should've just stuck with the Ghost 1.0 series

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you don't mind the demo writing you probably won't mind the rest of the game's writing, but the checkpoint system makes later bosses and later chapters loving miserable.

Chapter 8 is an extended instafail sequence, because that's an awesome idea in a game where you can't see the enemy's vision cones. At the end of it you have to trick a guard into opening a door by grabbing a pizza box out of the garbage. You'll automatically fail and game-over unless you examine the box in your inventory so you know it was a pepperoni pizza. Then you also have to use a nearby fire extinguisher--an item that's never been interactable before this point--to fill the box with fog, so it looks like it's steaming????? :psyduck: this is a level beyond cat hair mustache

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 29, 2021

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Bioshock remastered crashed on me. I was hoping that this’d be fixed with patches by now but does this mean I should switch over to the original versions?

I had an absolute nightmare of a time trying to play any of the three games except Infinite earlier this year, with Bioshock Remastered being the worst offender. For whatever reason, when you go to save your game, whether it be manual, quick, or auto, there is a coin flip's chance the game will crash. Not only that, but it also deletes whatever save file slot it tried overwriting. I tried every tip under the sun to no avail. The same bug affects at least the Switch version (probably the other consoles too) and it will never, ever get patched, despite Take-Two making $3B+ in revenue annually.

If you wanna do it, you'll want to disable auto save and save manually in separate slots.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I need to finish this time loop game so I can can go play the expansion to the other time loop game.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Hwurmp posted:

If you don't mind the demo writing you probably won't mind the rest of the game's writing, but the checkpoint system makes later bosses and later chapters loving miserable.

Chapter 8 is an extended instafail sequence, because that's an awesome idea in a game where you can't see the enemy's vision cones. At the end of it you have to trick a guard into opening a door by grabbing a pizza box out of the garbage. You'll automatically fail and game-over unless you examine the box in your inventory so you know it was a pepperoni pizza. Then you also have to use a nearby fire extinguisher--an item that's never been interactable before this point--to fill the box with fog, so it looks like it's steaming????? :psyduck: this is a level beyond cat hair mustache

Boy, I have never thrown a game as far into the darkness of the Never Play Cavern as I just have.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Has anyone played Gamedec? It sounds cool as hell - it's a cyberpunk isometric RPG where you play as someone who enters virtual worlds as a detective to solve virtual crimes. It promises deeply branching narratives and has Very Positive reviews but no one has mentioned it in this thread since it released 12 days ago.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Evolution of Far Cry Games:

Crytek Branch:

Far Cry PC - Crysis 1 - 2 - 3 (all first person shootmans with a linear progression through wide open environments)

Dunia Branch:

Far Cry XBox - still a linear game that adapts Far Cry PC, but more wide open than most console FPS games, the origin of the Dunia engine and it's amazing map editor

Far Cry 2 - absolute bonkers ambitious adaption of PC-style eurojank ala XENUS (Boiling Point) or XENUS 2 to console, greatly reducing the complexity and inventory and economy and everything but it's still systems driven and player hostile and filled with rough edges

Far Cry 3 - Finally sands off all of the rough edges and open player hostility from 2, still keeps some jank, establishes THE Ubisoft Open World Formula with towers and everything, also the hunting, crafting, and animals you can free to help distract enemies. Formula basically doesn't change from here.

Far Cry 4 - Adds open world gently caress-around-and-takeover-fortresses coop, but not story campaign coop, adds more animals and ridable elephant friends

Far Cry Primal - coopless spinoff of 4 that uses the same map but thousands of years ago and you play as the BEASTWIZARD with your many animal companions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufw9gSZu_sg

Far Cry 5 - Adds full story campaign coop, which makes the incredibly dumb story even more hilarious, and balances it for coop by giving you an optional AI companion you can call upon whenever you need help, this includes a pilot, sniper, driver, but also a very good dog, a bear, and a lion.

Far Cry New Dawn - spinoff of 5 that takes the coop into full on borderlands looter shooter land where you need rare/ultra/legendary guns to kill higher and higher level enemies with giant lifebars above their heads

deep dish peat moss posted:

Has anyone played Gamedec? It sounds cool as hell - it's a cyberpunk isometric RPG where you play as someone who enters virtual worlds as a detective to solve virtual crimes. It promises deeply branching narratives and has Very Positive reviews but no one has mentioned it in this thread since it released 12 days ago.
Reviews seem to be good but unless it's got "if you die in the game you die in real life" no sale

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The United States posted:

Dunia Branch:

Far Cry XBox - still a linear game that adapts Far Cry PC, but more wide open than most console FPS games, the origin of the Dunia engine and it's amazing map editor

Almost disappointed you didn't go over the weirder 360 and Wii ones!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Apparently Sentinels of the Multiverse added workshop support earlier this month. Anyone who enjoyed it should check out the massive fan expansion The Cauldron. It's as refined as the official expansions and most of the characters, villains, and environments have unusual mechanics and interactions that make them fresh to try even if you've played out the main game!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 29, 2021

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

a forgotten gem

trashy bmovie plot (with twists!)
checkpoints too far away
deliberate loud gun sounds
real monsters
enemy autotag
one dimensional protagonist still more likeable as til schweiger
at least 5 levels too long
realistic ragdolls
physics!
a volcano
keycards
most cheesy 5 minute game theme

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Far Cry 1 was amazing until the mutants show up. I remember having a lot of fun in the demo as well, and being amazed at how good it looked on my lovely pc.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 29, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Far Cry 1 sucked because the open maps didn't work correctly because of bugs (the AI magically spotting you all the time forever) and then it would switch to agonizingly difficult pass/fail linear shooter levels that threw out the one mildly interesting thing the game had.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

John Murdoch posted:

Far Cry 1 sucked because the open maps didn't work correctly because of bugs (the AI magically spotting you all the time forever) and then it would switch to agonizingly difficult pass/fail linear shooter levels that threw out the one mildly interesting thing the game had.
You can mod stealth back in by changing a line or two in the files. Which I'll do if there's ever a reason to replay Far Cry 1.

And as ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnGAuJz4dMU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

god just hearing the Outer Wilds theme again is nostalgic as hell :allears:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
In my memory the most exciting thing about Far Cry 1 at the time was the setting in a lush semi-open jungle during an era of muddy brown and gray corridor cover shooters.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Must be absolutely furious at Terraria then. The devs of that game have pulled a “Ok this is our last big content update!” to only say “lmao just kidding” 6 months later no less than a handful of times already. I picked up Terraria literally a decade ago when Steam sold packs of games to gift out (I think $20 for 4 copies?) and they haven’t shown signs of slowing down yet.

It does sound like a weird complaint, but I kind of get it? I just don't think more is automatically better, and sometimes I wish certain devs would streamline and improve what they already have instead of releasing the 78th half-assed content update.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

god just hearing the Outer Wilds theme again is nostalgic as hell :allears:

Oh my god I know. This is easily in my top 5 games ever, and I didn't know they were even coming out with a DLC. Yesssss

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Living games done right still veers slightly into monkey paw wish territory. "That game you like? Now you can play it forever." is a nightmare for some people, with or without the current volume of playable games.

It's just a false dilemma to look at that and compare it to the PS1/PS2 era of punting bad games at the preordained gold press date and say now that was gaming.

If put to the coals I will totally say we currently have an amount and quality leading to being spoiled for choice in a way that old fashioned publishing methods can't compete with. The 90s and 2000s were an era of hunkering down over summer with replaying some classics, gazing longingly at the holiday release calendar. These days I can get on Steam and at most moments find something on sale I'd like to try that will keep me occupied till the next thing on sale.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

John Murdoch posted:

Far Cry 1 sucked because the open maps didn't work correctly because of bugs (the AI magically spotting you all the time forever)
I'm pretty sure this is actually a bug introduced much later that causes enemies to be able to see through solid textures. I never had any issues with stealth in Far Cry 1 when I played it at launch or again later around 2009.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

zedprime posted:

Living games done right still veers slightly into monkey paw wish territory. "That game you like? Now you can play it forever." is a nightmare for some people, with or without the current volume of playable games.

It's just a false dilemma to look at that and compare it to the PS1/PS2 era of punting bad games at the preordained gold press date and say now that was gaming.

If put to the coals I will totally say we currently have an amount and quality leading to being spoiled for choice in a way that old fashioned publishing methods can't compete with. The 90s and 2000s were an era of hunkering down over summer with replaying some classics, gazing longingly at the holiday release calendar. These days I can get on Steam and at most moments find something on sale I'd like to try that will keep me occupied till the next thing on sale.

Of course the current situation is 3000% better than what we had 20 years ago. That guy just seems weirdly old and grumpy, although I think it's cool that video games are now established enough that people like that can exist.

I just think there are some monkey paw aspects, as you say. Human beings are not rational, having limitless choices and endless change can in some cases even cause anxiety where it wouldn't have existed otherwise, even if in a technical cost-benefit sense your situation as a 'gamer' is only improving.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
The knife in Farcry 1 was so cool

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Hwurmp posted:

this is what drives me sideways. it seems like the overwhelming majority of point and click devs all want to make another Sam and Max or whatever, they write billions of lines of bad nerd jokes or whatever, and then don't even put in cool and interesting puzzles!!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The TW series is on sale, what's the tier listing on those? I already got Medieval II for $6 but the UI doesn't scale to resolution. I loved TW Rome back in the day but I see mixed reviews on the remaster, as well as Rome 2.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Is there a New World thread I'm missing?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

mmo sub forum

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Is there a New World thread I'm missing?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980434

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Chronicon is great and has better QOL features than ARPGs not made by one person.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I keep forgetting to ask, how is the inventory and character build downtime in Chronicon compared to Diablo 3? My wife is coming more from the Gauntlet side of ARPGs and can't build a character. D3 console coop has worked really well because I can get in and clean out the inventory and slot in a complementary skill build to any legendaries picked up in just a couple minutes every hour so it works well as a break.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
It's on sale so I am likely going to finally get Dragon Quest XI, but I'm pretty nitpicky about things like this: does the game let you use the mouse? Like can you click on things in menus or is it like FF12 where the keyboard is just emulating a controller? Because I really don't like that, I'm on a drat computer and I want to use my drat mouse. I'd probably just wait and buy it on the Switch if I can't use the mouse.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

zedprime posted:

I keep forgetting to ask, how is the inventory and character build downtime in Chronicon compared to Diablo 3? My wife is coming more from the Gauntlet side of ARPGs and can't build a character. D3 console coop has worked really well because I can get in and clean out the inventory and slot in a complementary skill build to any legendaries picked up in just a couple minutes every hour so it works well as a break.

It depends what you pick up, if you're picking up everything then you need to go back to town too often to clear your inventory - one of the only negative sides of the game I remember was how often I was going back to town just to dump my inventory at the trader without even looking at most of it. I wanted more currency to spend at the gambler because I was getting great gear through them.

If you have more willpower than me and are capable of leaving all the non-unique stuff behind it wouldn't be bad at all.

Each class essentially has three four builds each themed around a different element - you can focus on different spells within them, but most gear is tailored for a specific one of those three builds rather than a specific spell, with some pieces of spell-specific gear existing (but being fairly rare). There is some currency cost to respeccing.

It definitely won't be as smooth as D3 for your purposes but it won't be impossible either.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 30, 2021

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Ittle Dew 2 for $1 on Fanatical, extremely worth it if you've enjoyed anything by Ludosity in the past. The first one too. And there's enough decent/good stuff in this bundle to get to the 5-item tier I think. Project Highrise, Railway Empire, Reventure, etc. I think Strikey Sisters is supposed to be a hidden gem?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hob is a game more people should play.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
"Playstation publisher event" on special offers links you back to https://store.steampowered.com/. What's up with that?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Passburger posted:

"Playstation publisher event" on special offers links you back to https://store.steampowered.com/. What's up with that?

Weird, looks like it should go to https://store.steampowered.com/sale/PlaystationPublisherEvent.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Iverron posted:

Chronicon is great and has better QOL features than ARPGs not made by one person.
Yeah, I bought it after the talk about it itt and it owns.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Thanks!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

OzFactor posted:

It's on sale so I am likely going to finally get Dragon Quest XI, but I'm pretty nitpicky about things like this: does the game let you use the mouse? Like can you click on things in menus or is it like FF12 where the keyboard is just emulating a controller? Because I really don't like that, I'm on a drat computer and I want to use my drat mouse. I'd probably just wait and buy it on the Switch if I can't use the mouse.

Buy it on Switch. You will find no satisfaction dying on the KB+M hill for anything like DQ11. And believe me I'm a KB+M guy! Just learned the hard way.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 29, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

HELLDIVERS owns. I didn't realize it was on PC. I played it on PS4 with some buddies years ago and had a ton of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

chronicon def wants u to use the loot filters as you get stronger