Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ChairmanMauzer posted:

James McAvoy on advice for his Dune "dad" Timothy Chalamet:

"I was in an adaptation of the second and third books. He is in the first book. And he's playing a character who ultimately becomes my father, in terms of the character dialogue. So, no. I've got no advice for him. And he doesn't need any advice from me, he's a cracking actor.

But I'll tell you what's one really good piece of advice that was given to me once, was by the cast of ... what was the show called again? Farscape. And it was at the L.A. premiere of Children of Dune, and they said to me, that the thing with this sh*t, i.e. science fiction, is that you have to believe it more than you believe good writing. Good writing, you can just do. It's easier. But this stuff is hard, because it's so bonkers, you know what I mean? And I've really, I've always remembered that advice and taken it to heart. It's so kept me going really, through a lot of science fiction and fantasy work that I've done. Because it was Claudia Black that said it. And I think that's just good advice for any actor doing any kind of science fiction and/or fantasy, you know?"

I mean, he's not wrong as such, but this from the man who got so addicted to Oblivion he had to burn his copy, because he was staying up til 4 am before shoots playing it? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

More Than Human is one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read, across all genres.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
This is a quote from McAvoy after starring in all those X-Men films. "You can only properly act this poo poo out if you take it at face value" is extremely sage advice if he assumes that Dune is of a similar quality.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
*Kramers breathlessly into the thread* Did you know the long dead old guy might have thought a bad? Look at me, I am very clever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Buller posted:

Im so mad they arent even filming the next movie yet.

I was legit surprised when he said they were just starting the script.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm making my way through the books and to be super honest Messiah already kind of lost me halfway through. Children isn't faring much better. All I really want is to read God Emperor for the weird 3500 year timeskip and worm emperor but now I'm afraid it won't live up to the hype for me.

God Emperor is mostly monologues. It’s a super bizarre and fun new world, but once the setting is established, I don’t think you’re going to find much to like in there if you’re bouncing off of Messiah and Children. My general rule about recommending Dune sequels is you should read them until you start disliking them, and then just stop. There’s no dramatic change in style/quality that makes slogging through worth it.

I liked GeOD, but I think the outspoken fans that adore it can sometimes overhype it for people who are already a bit on the fence about the preceding books.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I liked GEoD more than messiah or children (both of which were pretty major downers). Leto is a unique character and his monologues/dialogues with Idaho are great, but I didn't have much interest in Siona or Hwi. When it ended I really didn't have any urge to go through the rest of the series and felt like I hit a good stopping point -- the novel really works as an epilogue to the Atredies' story, and ends with a new hope for humanity. Which is all a long way of me saying that I agree with Jewmanji. Read until you aren't interested anymore, and you can't go wrong.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Is this the real life inspiration for Sapho Juice?

Areca Nut

Wikipedia posted:

Spanish mariner Álvaro de Mendaña reported observing Solomon Islanders chewing the nut and the leaf with caustic lime, and the manner in which the habit stained their mouths red. He noted the friendly and genial chief Malope, on Santa Isabel Island, would offer him the combination as a token of friendship every time they met.

According to his own Wikipedia article, Frank Herbert served with the Seabees for six months as a photographer during WW2. Any information on where he was deployed, and what pictures he might have taken?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

YoursTruly posted:

Areca Nut

According to his own Wikipedia article, Frank Herbert served with the Seabees for six months as a photographer during WW2. Any information on where he was deployed, and what pictures he might have taken?

I always thought it was from betel nuts that are a mild stimulant that stains mouths red, assumed that was the source. Maybe areca nuts are related?

edit: Nevermind betel nuts and areca nuts are the same thing. So yes, when I had read that I already assumed that was the inspiration.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 29, 2021

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Based on Wikipedia, it sounds like the culprit is:
Paan

So, Areca Nut wrapped in Betel Leaf?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Eason the Fifth posted:

Leto is a unique character and his monologues/dialogues with Idaho are great, but I didn't have much interest in Siona or Hwi.

Leto is very worth it, as is Moneo.
Siona and Hwi are both very whatever.
Duncan is actively annoying as gently caress in GEoD but at least he made a lady orgasm by just climbing a rock so I guess he's got that going for him.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I like Siona. She’s not super well characterized but there is something innately endearing about a character whose response to the all-wise millennia old dragon god who rules her entire universe with an iron fist is “gently caress you dad!!!!!!”

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Siona is great. She's just a stupid, angry force of will, whose only real purpose is to kill Leto II and that's great.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I would just skip to God Emperor if you aren't enjoying Children. I would say power through if you enjoyed Messiah more

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

YoursTruly posted:

Areca Nut

THUFIR HAWAT IS THE... HOUSE MENTAT.
THUFIR HAWAT IS THE... HOUSE MENTAT.
THUFIR HAWAT IS THE... HOUSE MENTAT,
AND AIN'T THAT TOO drat BAAAAAD!

https://youtu.be/eQtAxuyfCaM?t=25

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

No way. Children is kind of silly and action-y. God Emperor is snails-pace ruminating on Big Things and A Big Manly Man Making The Ladies With Climbing Kinks Cum

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

I would just skip to God Emperor if you aren't enjoying Children. I would say power through if you enjoyed Messiah more

Disagree the end of Children is incredible. Imagine skipping out on Leto with superhuman skin jumping from dunetop to dunetop, horrifying Paul in the process.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah fair, I just think the middle of the book kinda sags. Someone I got into the series liked Children the best of the three and Ghanima is his favorite character so extremely different strokes I guess

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ghanima is like two thirds of the way to being an actual character, which is pretty good by children of dune standards

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

Riot Bimbo posted:

He's coming from having been in Children Of Dune and getting advice from a Farscape actress. The advice is sound in that arena and you all know it.

i for one would do anything that 1990s Claudia Black told me to. seriouspost

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

No Mods No Masters posted:

Ghanima is like two thirds of the way to being an actual character, which is pretty good by children of dune standards

:hmmyes:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
If Villeneuve ever gets to make Messiah (1% possibility), I’d be very interested to see if/how he inserts Jessica back into the story. I adore Messiah but her absence is kinda indefensible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just make her a memory ghost in Alias head scape

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The movie will have a 35 minute bad trip by Alia

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jewmanji posted:

If Villeneuve ever gets to make Messiah (1% possibility), I’d be very interested to see if/how he inserts Jessica back into the story. I adore Messiah but her absence is kinda indefensible.

Aren't she and Gurney boning back on Caladan during Messiah?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Hey Siona, check out Deez.

Deez Wolves yo hahaha *gets mauled by mutant forest wolves*

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Drone posted:

Yeah, but not for any particular narrative necessity. It feels very much like Herbert couldn’t figure out what to do with her in Messiah so he just put her on the shelf until he came up with a role for her in Children. Her being on Caladan for narrative reasons (thin as they may be) doesn’t justify her not having a single scene (iirc) in the book. Her absence doesn’t feel justified by the story, and I think if Jessica is as good a character in the movie as people are saying, they’d be hard pressed to explain her simply disappearing for the third part of the trilogy. Especially if, as people have been saying, her role in the movie is more substantive than the book.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Have Jessica be the BG conspiring against Paul after he became giga hitler. Donezo.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I wonder if Villeneuve will end the second movie on Paul's coronation or if he will pull some story elements or plot from Messiah and put them into Dune Part 2. It would require eliminating extraneous stuff (really any POV scenes of the conspirators could go, I always thought face dancers were out of place, Bijaz could especially go, lol) but I think it would work to have the midpoint of the movie be Paul's coronation, and the end be his walk into the desert. Since there's no way this is going to be a trilogy, having the rest of the movie have at least some plot elements from Messiah could really drive home the point of "oh, charismatic leaders are in fact, not good news.
It's a bit more of a sequel hook too.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Huh? How could you remove the POV of the conspirators? The whole book is about their assassination attempt.

And removing Bijaz? Please stop trying to cancel Andy Serkis.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

Huh? How could you remove the POV of the conspirators? The whole book is about their assassination attempt.

And removing Bijaz? Please stop trying to cancel Andy Serkis.

Well if it's not going to happen anyway, (because it'll never be filmed), just have it be from Paul's POV instead of cutting away to a fishtank and a shapeshifter. He hears whispers of it but can't quite see it. Flesh out the Jihad much more to beat audiences over the head with the overall point.

But more likely the battle to retake the city will turn from the less than a page it was in the book to the entire 3rd act of the movie.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 29, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I worry that having the later books filmed with Timothee as gigaHitler may lead a whole generation of tween girls down the path to supporting authoritarian genocide :ohdear:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That ship sailed about ten kylo rens ago. But worry not, the tweens can fix him

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

No Mods No Masters posted:

That ship sailed about ten kylo rens ago. But worry not, the tweens can fix him

lmao, oh yeah I forgot about dummy thicc Rylo

Bad boy trifecta of Michael B Jordan as Killmonger, Adam Driver as Kylo and Timothee as genocide Paul

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Drone posted:

Gurney? He wishes! It was Stilgar if I remember. He started bathing and Jessica was like drat

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I still think the second movie being from Feyd's point of view, and the twist of Paul leading the Fremen, would be cool and good.

I haven't seen the new movie yet though.

I would like to see someone try to film the Atreides attack on the Harkonnen spice horde. Do they blow it all up somehow, or is it just a few spec ops troops getting high as the maker consuming everything?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was legit surprised when he said they were just starting the script.

I'm not remotely surprised, after the announcement that part 2 is to be wall to wall Chani, because ~reasons~. A lot will have to be swapped and shoehorned

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Who was it like a month ago that said there was next to zero chance they were making a second movie

It was an instant freezing cold take

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jewmanji posted:

Her absence doesn’t feel justified by the story, and I think if Jessica is as good a character in the movie as people are saying, they’d be hard pressed to explain her simply disappearing for the third part of the trilogy.

Broke: Dune is one story
Woke: Dune is two movies
Bespoke: The Dune trilogy is Dune and Messiah

kiimo posted:

Gurney? He wishes! It was Stilgar if I remember. He started bathing and Jessica was like drat

You don't. Stilgar remains Paul's right-hand man on Arrakis. Gurney is the one strumming the ol' baliset on Caladan.

Hasselblad posted:

I'm not remotely surprised, after the announcement that part 2 is to be wall to wall Chani, because ~reasons~. A lot will have to be swapped and shoehorned

No, it isn't. This is like a 5th-generation game of telephone that involved at least one FR-EN translation error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

You don't. Stilgar remains Paul's right-hand man on Arrakis. Gurney is the one strumming the ol' baliset on Caladan.

Weird.