Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

B5 Reboot: The avalanche has started. It's too late for the pebbles to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I wonder what's going on in the b5 thread?... HOLY gently caress! I'll give it a shot but are they jumping right to Sheridan? Will that mean the first ep will be Morden going around asking what people want? That could actually be kinda cool if done right. First ep a brand new Sheridan gets aboard a chaotic station and some guy asks him what he wants after a helluva day. CW might not be as bad for this as one would think. I know it's a common meme but yeah they do Riverdale and did Vampire Diaries and the CW DC stuff but they also did the 100 and Supernatural. One of the few places it might get a change with minimal interference.

LionArcher posted:

David Tennet as a techno Mage.

Even Peter's as somebody.

Having watched AHS for a while now.... Evan Peters as Morden. Guy can do friendly and disarming nice guy with a subtle creepy and switch to megalomaniacal puppet master to homicidal lunatic and everything in between. He could do it. Tennent doing a Techno Mage could be insanely good for a cameo and if he really likes the part and wants more? Legend of the Rangers/Crusade stuff later.

It will be interesting to see how this cast pans out. Hardest and most integral casting will be Delenn, Vir, Londo and G'Kar. I would say those four are the sink or swim for this show. Even has someone who knew the Balkans quite well Delenn had this otherworldly quality, both young and old at the same time, endless strength with a childlike vulnerability. When she went through the cocoon she became more human but still retained some of that. She also needs to be able to have insane charisma in general and with Sheridan. Replacing her is harder than it feels at first. Londo needs to be close to middle aged if not middle aged (35+?) and someone who you love even when he gives in to horrible poo poo. G'Kar is the wheel. In the beginning he's got to be stubborn and unforgiving but not over the top. I guess an honourable villain but it will require a veteran actor to not only put up with a ton of makeup but somehow act through it. I liked G'Kar from the fist ep and it made every moment of the fall of Narn and his character's overall journey just hit so hard. His shoes are going to be hard to fill.

pentyne posted:

The episode with the Markabs essentially committing self-genocide because they refuse to believe the truth about a disease is over 25 years old and if they did it again today people would lose their poo poo on them for being "political" and it would be just glorious to watch unfold. Of all the things to change, remaking that episode and keeping to the original plot would be amazing.

I never read or heard anything about the background for that episode, but the context in the mid 90s make me think that AIDS was likely a factor in writing the story.
Agreed. Don't change one thing. Gonna blow new watchers minds when they find out he wrote this over 30+ years before it aired as it feels so 2020 and beyond.

TK-42-1 posted:

If nothing else I hope they keep the ‘Our last, best hope for peace… it failed.’ DUN DUN DAAAH DUN DUN DAAAH
:same:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

DogsInSpace! posted:

CW might not be as bad for this as one would think. I know it's a common meme but yeah they do Riverdale and did Vampire Diaries and the CW DC stuff but they also did the 100 and Supernatural. One of the few places it might get a change with minimal interference.

Technically, Babylon 5 started on the CW. PTEN became WB and UPN, which re-merged back into CW.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Agreed. Don't change one thing. Gonna blow new watchers minds when they find out he wrote this over 30+ years before it aired as it feels so 2020 and beyond.

"I don't watch TV. It's a cultural wasteland filled with inappropriate metaphors and an unrealistic portrayal of life created by the liberal media elite."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Another Morden options would be Xander Berkeley, if they're willing to have someone much older (Ed Wasser is younger than Berkeley, much more so when playing Morden).

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

DogsInSpace! posted:

It will be interesting to see how this cast pans out. Hardest and most integral casting will be Delenn, Vir, Londo and G'Kar. I would say those four are the sink or swim for this show. Even has someone who knew the Balkans quite well Delenn had this otherworldly quality, both young and old at the same time, endless strength with a childlike vulnerability. When she went through the cocoon she became more human but still retained some of that. She also needs to be able to have insane charisma in general and with Sheridan. Replacing her is harder than it feels at first. Londo needs to be close to middle aged if not middle aged (35+?) and someone who you love even when he gives in to horrible poo poo. G'Kar is the wheel. In the beginning he's got to be stubborn and unforgiving but not over the top. I guess an honourable villain but it will require a veteran actor to not only put up with a ton of makeup but somehow act through it. I liked G'Kar from the fist ep and it made every moment of the fall of Narn and his character's overall journey just hit so hard. His shoes are going to be hard to fill.

Vir might be tough, dude has an amazing arc throughout the whole thing. You need somebody who can play really naive and hopeful at the beginning, and just a serious contender on the side of good by the end. The side plot where he has to deal with a dude bugging his food and Londo deciding that after he does he's ready to be an ambassador is one of the better bits in the series.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Honestly, a lot of people act for a living and have range - if anything, original B5 proved this.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I always thought delenn and Sheridan had the chemistry of a mossy stump tbh, though she did her best and sleeping in light was great. Sinclair was much more believable on the romance side.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I wonder if JMS is going to do the OG Delenn transition story from male Minbari to female Humbari or is it too :yikes: topic for this day and age

I'd say the core of the show is the 3 Ambassadors and 3 Station Senior staff.
Other regulars, like ambassadorial attaches, Doctor and Telepath are more easily replaced and changed.
I don't count Kosh, because he is more of a Deus ex Machina, than a character.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

adhuin posted:

I don't count Kosh, because he is more of a Deus ex Machina, than a character.

Character progression is a 3 edged sword.

Although even Kosh has some progression and learning.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Shadow/Vorlon conflict seems like the thing that most has to change. That worked because it was never done before, but I don't think a second time with the same thing would be anywhere near as good.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Babylon 5: The One who Will Be

Babylon 5: Blown Straight to Hell All Over Again

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Babylon Fife: The Pipes Of War

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

B5: zathras (zathras)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Babylon 5: Oh no, it’s happening again!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

sebmojo posted:

B5: zathras (zathras)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Babylon 5: No reboot today. Reboot tomorrow. There's always a reboot tomorrow.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chevy Slyme posted:

Babylon 5: Oh no, it’s happening again!

Babylon 5: Midnight on the Fire Walk with Me

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay
Babylon: Deep Space Five

Also I would like Marc Alaimo to play Dukhat

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Babylon 5: No Cute Kids, No Cute Robots. Teens maybe?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Honestly, a lot of people act for a living and have range - if anything, original B5 proved this.

It's this. How many well known actors were on the main cast of B5? Boxleitner was probably the best known of the lot, and even he wasn't a superstar or anything. For that matter, how many big stars are on any CW show? I mean come up with casts made up of Dr. Who actors or movie stars or whomever if you enjoy doing so, but the reality is it'll probably be people from other TV shows or complete unknowns with maybe one or two people who qualify as "oh hey, I know that guy/gal!"

You know, just like it was last time. :colbert:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ultrafilter posted:

The Shadow/Vorlon conflict seems like the thing that most has to change. That worked because it was never done before, but I don't think a second time with the same thing would be anywhere near as good.

I'm a turbo-dummy because despite going over it again and again, the transition of the Shadow war cycle to "actually it's a big sham proxy war between the Shadows and the Vorlons" still feels clunky as heck to me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

adhuin posted:

Babylon 5: No Cute Kids, No Cute Robots. Teens maybe?

Honestly, they don't have to be named characters or even speaking roles, but having some kids occasionally running around would make Babylon 5 feel more like a city in space.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

sebmojo posted:

I always thought delenn and Sheridan had the chemistry of a mossy stump tbh, though she did her best and sleeping in light was great. Sinclair was much more believable on the romance side.

I like Delenn as a character, but the love-story arc was a bit flat. Except when they played it up for laughs ("yoo-hoo?"), but that just undercuts it more. But Sheridan's 100% the American everyman Joe just trying to do right, god damnit, and you get the Hell out of his galaxy, etc., so he's inherently more of a one-dimensional character than the interesting ones like Londo and G'kar, who actually either change or they don't, but it's an internal conflict either way. Or, well, external too, poor G'kar. But the point is, Sheridan, to me, always feels like the same hero archetype, who has things done to him at times, but his motivations as a character don't change all that much. Even though he fights a civil war, it's against a regime that is portrayed as literally infiltrated by aliens who want people to Do Bad Things. All that said, Sheridan's kind of this empty canvas that you can't really project an exciting love story on. He's just... There, being all good-guy'y, and I like what he does, but that is just the blandest dude to have a love affair.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Babylon 5: would you call this show unrebootable?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rappaport posted:

Even though he fights a civil war, it's against a regime that is portrayed as literally infiltrated by aliens who want people to Do Bad Things.

Who facilitate people who want to do bad things to do bad things

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Honestly, they don't have to be named characters or even speaking roles, but having some kids occasionally running around would make Babylon 5 feel more like a city in space.

Having families really grounded DS9 in a way that B5 lacked.

Robots could go either way.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Who facilitate people who want to do bad things to do bad things

Well, right, the people who wanted to do Bad Things were already there and they got helped, arguably, by the aliens, all the while the aliens wanting to play everyone against everyone, it's just turtles, I mean bad persons, all the way down, really.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Having families really grounded DS9 in a way that B5 lacked.

Well there was a kid in Believers
Also one or two in Confessions and Lamentations.

Do you really want more kids to die?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

adhuin posted:

Well there was a kid in Believers
Also one or two in Confessions and Lamentations.

Do you really want more kids to die?

Would you believe that it's possible to have children/young adults as characters without them dying at the end of the episode?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I realize a lot of people in entertainment (and everywhere else, too) say things they later go back on. It's the nature of show business (and politics, and...). That said, as I ponder about the reboot I couldn't help but think about JMS's words when Andreas Katsulas died:

quote:

Just over a year ago, Andreas Katsulas--who loved smoking with a passion that cannot be described--was diagnosed with lung cancer, which by then had already spread to other areas. He quit smoking at once and went on a healthy diet and vitamin program, but there was little hope of a good resolution even though the new regimen was very good for him. When we spoke about it, he laughed, and said, "Now that I'm dying I've never felt better!"

His spirits were always up and positive, putting everyone at ease about his condition, because...well, that's the kind of person he was.

A couple of months ago, he and his wife convened a dinner with me, Doug, and Peter Jurasik, which was filled with laughter and stories and good food. He wanted to know all the stories we never told him because, as he said, "Who am I going to tell?" So we did. Because we knew we were saying goodbye, and there would not be a second chance.

Last night, in the company of his wife and family, Andreas closed his eyes and went away.

He lived an amazing life...full of travel and wonder and good work...was part of the world renowned Peter Brook company...he saw the planet, loved and was loved, ate at great restaurants, smoked too many cigarettes...he lived a life some people would die for.

And, sadly, due to the last part of that equation...he did.

Memorial arrangements are still being worked out, but will doubtless be private.

Andreas is gone...and G'Kar with him, because no one else can ever play that role, or ever will.

I will miss him terribly.

J. Michael Straczynski

I remember that day, and how sad I was I'd never get to meet the guy who brought my favorite character to life. And I agreed with the bolded portion - G'Kar was Andreas's, and nobody else could (or should) ever try to embody that character. My feelings haven't changed on that front. So personally, I'd rather see Ambassador Na'Toth. Have a no-holds-barred cage match between Julie Caitlin Brown and Mary Kay Adams for the role, may the best Narn win. Or pick another name for the ambassador. Just don't name him/her/them G'Kar.

And yeah, you could probably make a similar call for Vir, Zack, Zathras...gently caress, it's depressing how many of the original cast are gone. And I realize it's also hilarious I'm advocating for G'Kar to be replaced by a character that was shared by two actors. But somehow G'Kar feels different.

Anyhow thanks for coming to my emo blog. I look forward with equal parts excitement and trepidation to the reboot. Whenever it starts airing, I'll be simul-watching with my old college roommates. B5 had a big impact on us back then, and we still send each other little Vir waves for Vorlonisms from time to time. It's going to be a lot harder to coordinate now that we live on opposite ends of the country, but we'll manage.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Other than Sheridan, does the pitch really name anyone else?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rappaport posted:

I like Delenn as a character, but the love-story arc was a bit flat. Except when they played it up for laughs ("yoo-hoo?"), but that just undercuts it more. But Sheridan's 100% the American everyman Joe just trying to do right, god damnit, and you get the Hell out of his galaxy, etc., so he's inherently more of a one-dimensional character than the interesting ones like Londo and G'kar, who actually either change or they don't, but it's an internal conflict either way. Or, well, external too, poor G'kar. But the point is, Sheridan, to me, always feels like the same hero archetype, who has things done to him at times, but his motivations as a character don't change all that much. Even though he fights a civil war, it's against a regime that is portrayed as literally infiltrated by aliens who want people to Do Bad Things. All that said, Sheridan's kind of this empty canvas that you can't really project an exciting love story on. He's just... There, being all good-guy'y, and I like what he does, but that is just the blandest dude to have a love affair.

yep, that's really well put, I agree completely. he's got a little nuance as the hero (after they've saved the entire galaxy and got the girl, what next?) but it's a fundamentally slightly flat character - and that's ok. just wish there'd been some sizzle in the romance because the story was written on that basis?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Polaron posted:

Technically, Babylon 5 started on the CW. PTEN became WB and UPN, which re-merged back into CW.

I did not know any of that. I always figured it was just on a cable channel like Crave or Space and just leave it at that. I keep forgetting the 90s TV was radically different. I don't really remember much of the 90s aside from coming back from school to watch Batman Beyond, Power Rangers and Reboot. I want to say it was Shaw.
Any of you old goons know what channel it was broadcast in Canada, the UK and the like?

seaborgium posted:

Vir might be tough, dude has an amazing arc throughout the whole thing. You need somebody who can play really naive and hopeful at the beginning, and just a serious contender on the side of good by the end. The side plot where he has to deal with a dude bugging his food and Londo deciding that after he does he's ready to be an ambassador is one of the better bits in the series.
Vir would be the easiest to play at first but agreed... you need someone who can grow with it. Furst was really good as Vir and never got annoying or acted in any way that wasn't just Vir. I still chuckle at Abraham Lincolni. He was the perfect POV and his emphatic attempts to try and save Londo from himself were so good because you could tell he genuinely loved Londo... far more than even Londo did. His final toast was so good. Really good character. I hope whomever takes over Londo embraces the accent while somehow making it their own. Always felt like the more typical US/Canadian accents were more of a modern Centauri thing and the old guard like Reefa and Londo kept the traditional way of speaking.

Speaking of Assistants.... I'm torn about wanting more NaToth or keeping her out. I know the real life stuff but always felt like early G'Kar was a loner and kept people away until he was forced to change. Maybe that was just my own mental continuity.

Also wondering if they redo the ships a little. I wouldn't mind keeping some of the spirit of them while updating. I loved the look of the Narn ships and wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

sebmojo posted:

I thought they developed well towards the end and I put 99% on Mira Furlan. She was awesome. Sleeping in Light... jesus. You are gonna make me cry like a baby AGAIN.

I already gushed about my love for Sinclair and yeah... I liked his romance. A bit sad they aren't going to have a new Sinclair but I get it. I'm guessing he will still pop up as the mysteriously missing former Commander of B5. Just hope they give him some proper gravitas and tragedy.

Nice thing about all of this is they could easily have the surviving OG cast for cameos. Claudia Christian better be there. President Lushenko maybe? I don't care but she better get a cameo as she seems like a sweet lady. I like General Haig for Sheridan. Mumy could be a ton of things but Peter Jurasik needs to be an older Centauri as I miss that accent and performance. As much as I like Jeffrey Combs for Bester he could also just cameo as the Inquisitor. I almost hate to say that as one can never have enough Jeffrey Combs and I'd be sad to only see him once. If we are talking about lesser know or semi retired character actors I vote for Brad Dourif and/or his daughter Fiona. Just for anything. Wow.... really excited about new B5 verse. Just hope they get to do Crusade too as I really enjoyed the limited amount we got.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DogsInSpace! posted:

Also wondering if they redo the ships a little. I wouldn't mind keeping some of the spirit of them while updating. I loved the look of the Narn ships and wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

As long as they don't touch the Omega.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

Any of you old goons know what channel it was broadcast in Canada, the UK and the like?

Channel 4 in the UK.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DogsInSpace! posted:

In the UK it was broadcast on C4, so named because it was our fourth terrestrial channel. C4 pleased JMS mightily by treating the show as a valued property, not cutting scenes to make ad breaks fit or showing it out of order. Because of this, he deliberately wrote a couple of scenes into the show where C&C receive a message on Channel 4 so the station could use them for idents. So you already knew - you just didn't know you knew.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

has anyone said Babylon 5: Reboot and Zooty yet

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

jng2058 posted:

It's this. How many well known actors were on the main cast of B5? Boxleitner was probably the best known of the lot, and even he wasn't a superstar or anything. For that matter, how many big stars are on any CW show? I mean come up with casts made up of Dr. Who actors or movie stars or whomever if you enjoy doing so, but the reality is it'll probably be people from other TV shows or complete unknowns with maybe one or two people who qualify as "oh hey, I know that guy/gal!"

You know, just like it was last time. :colbert:

At the time, Boxlietner was a huge TV name after having just come out of Scarecrow and Mrs King and being married to Melissa Gilbert, America’s sweet little girl. He was at least as famous, if not more so than Pearce Brosnan at the time (who was in a similar and popular show - Remington Steel - which I personally liked more than Scarecrow). Everyone knew him for family type shows, so it was like casting Michael Keaton as Batman. Made everyone go WTF but ended up being absolutely perfect. Everyone knew who Boxlietner was.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm a turbo-dummy because despite going over it again and again, the transition of the Shadow war cycle to "actually it's a big sham proxy war between the Shadows and the Vorlons" still feels clunky as heck to me.

Well, that’s really only a third of it. The other parts were that they had been loving around with all the younger races genes but were themselves younger than a lot of other Old Ones, and the whole Order vs. Chaos / Obedience vs Free Will bit. All of those parts individually are not ground breaking, but when you put them all together and then fool the viewing audience for THREE GODDAMN YEARS into believing something else was going on, it was a master stroke.

Binge watching them now cannot convey how much of a :tviv: moment it was at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Well, that’s really only a third of it. The other parts were that they had been loving around with all the younger races genes but were themselves younger than a lot of other Old Ones, and the whole Order vs. Chaos / Obedience vs Free Will bit. All of those parts individually are not ground breaking, but when you put them all together and then fool the viewing audience for THREE GODDAMN YEARS into believing something else was going on, it was a master stroke.

Binge watching them now cannot convey how much of a :tviv: moment it was at the time.

The thing you really have to understand to get how big a deal that was is that JMS, having cut his teeth on Murder, She Wrote, wanted the viewing audience to be able to figure out what's coming next. During the original run when we all had to wait weeks or months between episodes, there was a lot of community analysis that did hit on a lot of the major beats. But it always felt like something was missing, and then at the end of season 3 you had that revelation that simultaneously made everything we'd seen so far make sense, and also really changed what the landscape looked like. We all thought the Vorlons were good guys (although there were some questions), and to find out that they were actually an overwhelmingly powerful enemy was huge.