Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume diatomaceous earth would work as well on woodlice as it does on other exoskeleton having insects, and it isn't toxic, the mechanism by which it kills them is mechanical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know this is an ignorant question but I stopped paying attention once Brexit happened and everything didn't instantly explode. But why is this stuff happening now? Wasn't Brexit several months ago, what was the delay between Brexit and all of these problems?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gambrinus posted:

Some of you very kindly helped me out a few months ago when I poo poo myself* and buried my head in the sand when I got overpaid by work. That's all sorted out now. Thank you very much.

*metaphorically

No worries and I'm glad its all sorted out.

Gripweed posted:

I know this is an ignorant question but I stopped paying attention once Brexit happened and everything didn't instantly explode. But why is this stuff happening now? Wasn't Brexit several months ago, what was the delay between Brexit and all of these problems?

Because of the nature of the issues its taken time for small things to build up and snowball into big things.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gripweed posted:

I know this is hard to conceive but imagine if you will the entire world effectively shutting down normal operation for a year and having a bit of a snooze

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Gripweed posted:

There have been constant problems around kent, mostly involving lorries. Most of the current ongoing problems have Brexit as a contributory factor and not sole cause, and the energy crisis in particular might have played out less badly without Brexit but is 100% about OFGEM and the liberal love of regulators who outright refuse to regulate things

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We use Team GB for all of our Olympic and other international athletics

Isnt that partially because anyone in Northern Ireland can choose to be on the Irish team instead?

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

OwlFancier posted:

I would assume diatomaceous earth would work as well on woodlice as it does on other exoskeleton having insects, and it isn't toxic, the mechanism by which it kills them is mechanical.

Oh cool, I actually have some of this stuff. I thought woodlice would be too big for it but will give it a go, cheers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I've never tried but as far as I understand it operates by dessicating and abrading the shells, and it's fairly cheap afaik so if you've got it it might be worth a try.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Isnt that partially because anyone in Northern Ireland can choose to be on the Irish team instead?
It's more because when the UK (of Great Britain and Ireland) competed the Irish Amateur Athletic Association kept protesting the UK flag being flown for their victories and started bringing their own flags, to the point where it became easier to admit GB and Ireland as two separate teams before Ireland was even formally recognized as a sovereign state. And then there were a whole lot of other issues over the border once that did happen.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

A Brief primer on Brexit.

2016 - Tories: Yay! BRITISH EMPIRE MARK 2! Prepare to enjoy being the best at everything, getting everything for cheaper, and best of all those frogs and krauts will be begging us to come back!

2018 - UK Businesses: Er, we need to build customs checks, we need thousands at Kent, Dover.

2019 - UK Businesses: Still need those people for the checking.

2020 - Tories: WHAYFREEDOM WATCH REES DANCE!
EU: Ok you are a third country now as we both agreed.
Tories: What? But we are sovereign and you have to do what we tell you what to do. poo poo, ok, delayed for six months.
Tories 6mo later: Delayed for another few months.
UK Businesses: Phew, there are fewer lorries come over than we thought. But if this continues we will be running out of supplies and drivers!
Tories: FEWER LORRIES MEANS FEWER FOREIGNERS COMING TO STEAL OUR STUFF! BREXIT IS BRILLIANT! gently caress the drivers, oiks the lot of them.
EU: Still have to set up your customs as according to agreement.
Tories: Delayed until 2021 coz we say so.

2021 - UK in general: Er, anyone else notice there are fewer things on the shelves in shops now?
UK big shops: No, these 'BRITAIN FIRST' boxes where oranges were last week were always there. Now please move, need to install 'BUY LOCALLY' when that last south american pineapple is sold.
UK Businesses: We just calculated that we need 100,000 drivers to maintain the country.
Tories: The Army can do that for free.
UK Businesses: No, they cant, need to be trained.
Tories: Lets ignore it for a few months, it may go away.
EU: You still have to set up customs...
Tories: DELAYED FOREVER!
UK Businesses: Now we REALLY need 100,000 drivers. Or Christmas is hosed.
Boris: I need glory and attention, so let me tell the UK that I will allow in 5000 drivers from filthy foreign lands to deliver our sovereign goods to our sovereign people.
Tories: That sounds like you are letting foreigners in Boris. Rees won't like that.
Boris: crikey.....ON THREE MONTH VISAS!
Tories: Phew.
Lorry Drivers everywhere: gently caress off lol!

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 29, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Deketh posted:

Are you a woodlice expert? I keep getting the little guys in my (rented) bungalow. I think there are various gaps in the building fabric they come in through, any tips on dealing with that? Sealing the gaps isn't gonna happen but is there something I can spread around that they don't like?
They aren't nearly as fancy as your fellows.

I get woodlice in my ground floor flat quite often, just one at a time, maybe 1 or 2 a week. I don't know where they're getting in though. But I think they're cute.

As to Twisto, his real name is Ibid of Anon.

"Well, Ibid you already know..."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

happyhippy posted:

2016 - Tories: Yay! BRITISH EMPIRE MARK 2! Prepare to enjoy being the best at everything, getting everything for cheaper, and best of all those frogs and krauts will be begging us to come back!

2018 - UK Businesses: Er, we need to build customs checks, we need thousands at Kent, Dover.

Tories: What? But we are sovereign and you have to do what we tell you what to do. poo poo, ok, delayed for six months.
UK Businesses: Phew, there are fewer lorries come over than we thought. But if this continues we will be running out of supplies and drivers!
Tories: FEWER LORRIES MEANS FEWER FOREIGNERS COMING TO STEAL OUR STUFF! BREXIT IS BRILLIANT! gently caress the drivers, oiks the lot of them.

2021 - UK in general: Er, anyone else notice there are fewer things on the shelves in shops now?
UK big shops: No, these 'BRITAIN FIRST' boxes where oranges were last week were always there. Now please move, need to install 'BUY LOCALLY' when that last south american pineapple is sold.
UK Businesses: We just calculated that we need 100,000 drivers to maintain the country.
Boris: I need glory and attention, so let me tell the UK that I will allow in 5000 drivers from filthy foreign lands to deliver our sovereign goods to our sovereign people.
Tories: That sounds like you are letting foreigners in Boris. Rees won't like that.

So the problem is that the government still hasn't created ways to get foreign goods into the country legally, and the supply system was built on thousands of European drivers who had to leave when Brexit happened. This didn't happen instantly because stuff still moved into the country at first because everybody thought that the new custom systems would be set up soon anyway. But as that hope dwindled, so did foreign trade.

Is that about the size of it?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Got my fudge today thank you Camrath, and your reputation is well deserved. My partner and I love it and we will be ordering more when the next wave comes along.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
How is Kier Starmer a centrist?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

If you have no opinions, you cannot be neither right nor left wing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Quite possibly the most accurate Timeline iv'e seen yet.

And it's all an ongoing process. :suspense:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mr.Tophat posted:

How is Kier Starmer a centrist?
He isn't, but the Overton window of British politics has shifted so far to the right that he looks like one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean he's a right wing rear end in a top hat who think it's a good career move to not identify himself as such, which is what a centrist is.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

So the problem is that the government still hasn't created ways to get foreign goods into the country legally, and the supply system was built on thousands of European drivers who had to leave when Brexit happened. This didn't happen instantly because stuff still moved into the country at first because everybody thought that the new custom systems would be set up soon anyway. But as that hope dwindled, so did foreign trade.

Is that about the size of it?

As the UK is a third country, they have to document every good they import into the EU. That's a poo poo load of red tape, and depending on the product it can mean upto 720 pages per cargo container (I think thats the max number).
If 1 item on 1 page is wrong, the whole container is held back. If its Just In Time items, like food, the company that wants these are hosed. And these cause knock on delays, and so starts food and other things being continually delayed.
The UK has to check things as well going into it, but they have waived this for the moment as they had six years to set it up but didn't bother as they thought they would be instantly economic rulers of the world.

Also EU lorry drivers and companies that hired them would send lorries to the UK full of stuff, but then load it up with UK stuff to take back to the EU.
As there is now a poo poo load of red tape to take UK stuff into the EU, they simple did not bother, so halving the potential profit of sending that one lorry over.
Then they just stopped coming as they could send them off else in the EU and lose nothing.

Its a combination of a few factors, most of them forseen and not dealt with as it would cost money to sort out. And the Tories only want money for Tories.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
loving hell

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1443273928999378952?s=21

Sidenote: this would be an insensitive question if it was someone deserving an ounce of compassion, but… why is Linehan’s head so goddamn wonky? Like, what’s going on there? I can only assume some sort of Roald Dahl’s The Witches situation

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gripweed posted:

So the problem is that the government still hasn't created ways to get foreign goods into the country legally, and the supply system was built on thousands of European drivers who had to leave when Brexit happened.

Not even necessarily had to leave but quite reasonably saw the government and half the country giving them the finger and decided to move back home/work elsewhere in the y'know entire continent they still have the right to live and work in.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I get woodlice in my ground floor flat quite often, just one at a time, maybe 1 or 2 a week. I don't know where they're getting in though. But I think they're cute.

As to Twisto, his real name is Ibid of Anon.

"Well, Ibid you already know..."

It fluctuates with the weather in this place, when it's nicer I might see a few per week and I don't mind, but colder brings them in at maybe 15 per day. I love a woodlouse, they're great composters, but I've had one on my pillow and found one in a cup on my kitchen counter, several in the sink, so my feelings are chilling somewhat. Interestingly they're also cannibals; a couple of times I've seen them chowing down on a fallen comrade. Well, that's composting too I suppose.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

All joking aside if anyone has a job that involves sitting in the same place all day a jar with a bit of moss and some fancy woodlice scrumbling about will brighten your day no end.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Answers Me posted:

loving hell

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1443273928999378952?s=21

Sidenote: this would be an insensitive question if it was someone deserving an ounce of compassion, but… why is Linehan’s head so goddamn wonky? Like, what’s going on there? I can only assume some sort of Roald Dahl’s The Witches situation

according to terfs this is what happen when the "worm turns"

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Ash Crimson posted:

according to terfs this is what happen when the "worm turns"
the worm burrows into the brain through the sinus cavity, then turns very very fast inside the prefrontal cortex, blending it to a paste and rendering Duffield incapable of doing anything except making GBS threads out transphobia while moving from location to location, spreading worm eggs to all and sundry

Sanford posted:

All joking aside if anyone has a job that involves sitting in the same place all day a jar with a bit of moss and some fancy woodlice scrumbling about will brighten your day no end.
do they take much in the way of maintenance?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Sanford posted:

They’re very cute, I also had no idea fancy woodlice existed :3: and what a great genus name, Armadillidium.

I looked up those stripy ones and found this great site where they are described as extroverts :3::3:

https://insektenliebe.com/haltungsberichte/haltungsberichte-asseln/armadillidium-maculatum-zebra-pillbug/?lang=en

As a kid I tried to have some pet woodlice by gathering some from the garden and putting them in an old icecream tub with some wood. But they died :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

happyhippy posted:

As the UK is a third country, they have to document every good they import into the EU. That's a poo poo load of red tape, and depending on the product it can mean upto 720 pages per cargo container (I think thats the max number).
If 1 item on 1 page is wrong, the whole container is held back. If its Just In Time items, like food, the company that wants these are hosed. And these cause knock on delays, and so starts food and other things being continually delayed.
The UK has to check things as well going into it, but they have waived this for the moment as they had six years to set it up but didn't bother as they thought they would be instantly economic rulers of the world.

Also EU lorry drivers and companies that hired them would send lorries to the UK full of stuff, but then load it up with UK stuff to take back to the EU.
As there is now a poo poo load of red tape to take UK stuff into the EU, they simple did not bother, so halving the potential profit of sending that one lorry over.
Then they just stopped coming as they could send them off else in the EU and lose nothing.

Its a combination of a few factors, most of them forseen and not dealt with as it would cost money to sort out. And the Tories only want money for Tories.

So basically, the UK and the EU need to come to an agreement of some kind that involves waiving or simplifying those customs documents, or moving stuff between the UK and the EU will just be permanently significantly more expensive and take significantly more time.

And it seems like the latter option is the one they're going with because the former would be too complicated and they don't want to think about it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You are describing the single market, which the EU will not accede to without including free movement.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

So basically, the UK and the EU need to come to an agreement of some kind that involves waiving or simplifying those customs documents, or moving stuff between the UK and the EU will just be permanently significantly more expensive and take significantly more time.

And it seems like the latter option is the one they're going with because the former would be too complicated and they don't want to think about it?

The agreement was MADE and SIGNED in 2020, both the UK and EU signed the Brexit agreement for to trade and such.
But the UK didn't read it, one fishing industry Tory in charge of it was too busy making christmas decorations than read the deal. This is why UK fishing got hosed.

What you mentioned first was the agreement that was called the Single Market, one benefit of it was minimal checks or verification needed, which the UK was part of since the 70s.
But the Gammons had to gammon, and the UK had to leave it because a Romanian might become their neighbour one day.

The UK want to renegotiate the brexit deal they agreed to, but the EU is tired of their poo poo so won't.
It's signed. Either follow it, or pull out. And pulling out will make you an economic leper to the world from then on.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

That agreement of some kind is what we opted to leave. The only reason that Leave pooh-poohed the time and expensive of trade was because they either didn't understand, or believed that EU countries were so desperate for our imports that they would waive all the rules.

It's not even a matter of ease of trade, it's things like priorities. The current C02 shortage is worse here because we import it from the EU and those companies prioritise other EU countries. We have to wait even if the entire border force did collectively agree to waive through the tankers.

It'll get worse, because we haven't implemented Brexit fully yet. Some of the customs and imports rules have been pushed back to next year. In the meantime, EU imports are not subjected to checks, so it's easier for EU companies to sell to the Britain than it should be. But this can't continue forever, because it puts the EU at an advantage, compared to the rest of the world, and we're not allowed to do that. At some point America and China will lodge a complaint. At best this means we're annoying countries that we're trying to get a trade deal with, and at worst the WTO imposes penalities.

That's the visible damage. The UK exports more in terms of services than it does physical items, and there's the same complications with those. For example, the Government started talking recently about changing the data protection laws. Well, the EU ones are pretty strict, and if we diverge from them too much, British companies may not be able to process the personal information about EU citizens, i.e. EU customers' personal details. That will have a massive impact, whether your're shipping them a physical item or working in a call centre for an multinational company.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OK, I think I have trouble understanding Brexit because I just assume that it can't actually be as stupid and funny as it is.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How are things in the financial sector, by the way? Has London moved to Frankfurt?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Really funny that Keith has finally announced some policies (don't ask me which, I cba keep tabs on labour anymore) and the response has overwhelmingly been "OK but you've gone back on every promised you ever made so why should we believe you?" to which he replied "but those were bad policies, and I won't hesitate to drop bad policies to become Electable"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Miftan posted:

Really funny that Keith has finally announced some policies (don't ask me which, I cba keep tabs on labour anymore) and the response has overwhelmingly been "OK but you've gone back on every promised you ever made so why should we believe you?" to which he replied "but those were bad policies, and I won't hesitate to drop bad policies to become Electable"

When he did the "common ownership isn't nationalisation actually" thing the guardian were posting videos of him explicitly promising nationalisation. He's done and everyone knows it, it's just a matter of who and when

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Gripweed posted:

OK, I think I have trouble understanding Brexit because I just assume that it can't actually be as stupid and funny as it is.

It's not funny

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

How are things in the financial sector, by the way? Has London moved to Frankfurt?

Surprisingly not as apocalyptic as you might expect. Again covid has probably masked a lot of stuff here but for the most part banks have moved their putative HQs to EU cities but the actual trading is still going on in London because of our truly world class hookers and blow reserves facilities for international trade. I mean of all industries banking and international insurance and finance are the ones least bound to any particular territory, so it doesn't particularly matter if selling Yuan to buy Kuwaiti oil futures contracts in dollars happens in London, Dubai or Ulan Bator. Remember a while back when a bunch of banks had a big snit over post-GFC very, very mild increases in regulation and all threatened to move away then came running straight back because as poo poo as the night life in the City and Canary Wharf is it's a shitload better than Zurich.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's not funny

It's pretty funny

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's not funny

In fairness to anyone outside these benighted isles this poo poo is funny as hell.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

multijoe posted:

It's pretty funny

Yeah ok if you're an eu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
tbh it's pretty funny to me nowadays since I decided I want everything to buuuuurrrrrrn