Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I hate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

SlothfulCobra posted:

There is text in coats of arms, but that's a form of iconography meant for squeezing as much detail as possible into a small space as opposed to simplifying things to recognize at a distance.
Which, if you think about how coat of arms came about, really is ironic.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rebel Blob posted:

You should ask Jack Chick (a Baptist, if you are wondering): Are Roman Catholics Christians?

Sure there is lot of extremely dubious religious nitpicking, but did you know that the Roman Catholic church is actually decended from the Cult of Baal in Bablyon?

It's always amusing that Christians are still mad about Baal, when his worship died out something like 2200 years ago. But the Old Testament is older than that so the fundamentalists haven't gotten the memo basically.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Arglebargle III posted:

It's always amusing that Christians are still mad about Baal, when his worship died out something like 2200 years ago. But the Old Testament is older than that so the fundamentalists haven't gotten the memo basically.

sorry if i am interrupting the :goonsay: convention again itt but i am pretty sure that this is incorrect, and that the vast majority of christians do not actively beliebe Baal worship still exists

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There are some, especially since it all gets mashed up as demons

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

If more than a fraction of a percent of christians have any feelings at all about the word "Baal" I will eat my fuckin child hat

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

sorry if i am interrupting the :goonsay: convention again itt but i am pretty sure that this is incorrect, and that the vast majority of christians do not actively beliebe Baal worship still exists

I think the vast majority of Christians don't know who the gently caress Baal is.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ligma Baal

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We only worship one bael in this house.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I think the vast majority of Christians don't know who the gently caress Baal is.

He was the alien dude in Stargate, right?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Baal shows up in the bible a lot. Makes sense christians don't recognize him. :smug:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did we not all just see an evangelical christian cartoon about baal? Have I lost my mind? Is this not on the page you're reading right now?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A good poster posted:

He was the alien dude in Stargate, right?

Yeah, but that's actually a point towards Baal being somewhat known amongst Christians - they wouldn't have dragged out someone with zero name recognition unless it was from the established Egyptian pantheon.

Also it was great with all the ball puns.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

or

Arglebargle III posted:

Did we not all just see an evangelical christian cartoon about baal? Have I lost my mind? Is this not on the page you're reading right now?

Yeah but Jack Chick is anything but normal.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

Yeah, but that's actually a point towards Baal being somewhat known amongst Christians - they wouldn't have dragged out someone with zero name recognition unless it was from the established Egyptian pantheon.

Also it was great with all the ball puns.
He is also in Diablo 2, from the same year as Stargate SG-1. Clearly Baal was on people's minds during the turn of the millennium.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BonHair posted:

That's Catholic, not Christian.

And anyway your want this:

E: tag yourself, I'm the three English flags

what if the elector of one of the english flag principalities goes to war with another english flag principality? how are your troops going to spot their own side???

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

suck my woke dick posted:

what if the elector of one of the english flag principalities goes to war with another english flag principality? how are your troops going to spot their own side???

Very carefully ofc

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The smart ones are gonna chill on the sidelines, then join up with the winning force.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Then they'd presumably get the colors and details right, and you'd have Trier as pictured, Andlau as red on gold rather than red on white, and the Holy See with its specific crossed keys Burgkmair didn't want to bother drawing rather than the generic Third Crusade arms.

Any two of England, Genoa, Trier, and Constance could get sticky though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There's probably also some geography in the way. Like Ireland going to war with Italy would be confusing, but it's not like they share a border.

Germany/Belgium could get messy though. The Germans had a solution last time though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If we simply revive the Holy Roman Empire, we won't need separate belgian and german flags.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If we simply revive the Holy Roman Empire, we won't need separate belgian and german flags.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They aren't even 90° versions of each other because the color bands have a different order, and if you want to get really technical, the yellow in Germany's flag is of a darker shade.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Belgians are confirmed to be hydrated Germans.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nice try but nobody would form an international organization with a giant dong to the north

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I always enjoy Switzerland's resolute contrarianism on all these sorts of maps

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What's Andorra's problem with the EU?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

SlothfulCobra posted:

Probably the same as San Marino's and Monaco's: they're too tiny to influence any decisions, but it doesn't matter, because they're functionally members anyway. Might as well dodge the membership fees.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

SlothfulCobra posted:

Tax shelter and centuries of increasingly bizarre European laws and treaties.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Probably the same as San Marino's and Monaco's: they're too tiny to influence any decisions, but it doesn't matter, because they're functionally members anyway. Might as well dodge the membership fees.

Yeah, but San Marino doesn't have a hole in the map.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, but San Marino doesn't have a hole in the map.

It's too small to even merit a hole. Vatican City doesn't have one either.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
As long as San Marino is in Eurovision, it's done what it needs to.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pope Hilarius II posted:

It's too small to even merit a hole. Vatican City doesn't have one either.

But Monaco does have a hole and it's smaller than San Marino

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spanish air force adds flair to the flag.

e: Sixty-six megapixels is excessive even if Reddit is paying for the bandwidth.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 12, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Found the republican sympathizer

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

dear god this is hideous and nigh-illegible

why is there comic sans cursive cyrillic on a flag

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

dear god this is hideous and nigh-illegible

why is there comic sans cursive cyrillic on a flag

I presume they used non-standardised flags that were a hand-written slogan on red fabric, but the wikipedia fact box requires a nice, clean and sterile vector image, so someone whipped that out.

e. ah, it's based on this photo:

But yeah, there's variations:

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 13, 2021

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!
My hometown of Lincoln, Nebraska is choosing a new flag. They've put four designs up for a public preference vote. Details: https://www.amalincoln.org/reflag-lnk/

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Second one is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I like the owl. The last one is cool, like, conceptually, but not as an actual flag.