Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

RBC posted:

reading this and thinking of jason kenney driving around in his pickup truck with a dumb grin on his face

https://twitter.com/summerbrennan/status/1442806675325476867

Reading this and thinking "Jesus Christ the hospital killed that man, never go to a hospital"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

enki42 posted:

I do have to say I'm pleasantly surprised we've gone this long with cases plateauing and even dropping without a peep of stage 4 being a possibility.

Yeah slow rolling this reopening has basically been the only thing he's gotten right from the start. I'm guessing he's looking at what's happening in AB right now and thinking he doesn't want to be that guy.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Goosed it. posted:

Might not be so clear without clicking on the tweet to see the full picture, but there is a roof and there are walls around the people at the concert.

I did not click it, that sounds awful.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Why aren't they fining these fucks out of existence instead of... you know, not doing anything? loving worthless.

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1443217421511413774

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Why aren't they fining these fucks out of existence instead of... you know, not doing anything? loving worthless.

I think it's because this is all going to be moot by January 2022, if we can get broad vaccine (80%+) uptake in the under 12 cohort.

But I'd like to see a few high profile examples get made of violators too.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Instead of trying to tackle climate change using an obvious direct method like um, building more housing in walkable, transit oriented areas, City of Vancouver is bringing in expensive parking passes for owners of ICE vehicles city wide.

https://twitter.com/fabulavancouver/status/1443259602766680072?s=20

These $500/$1000 parking passes only apply to new 2022 vehicles, so the bulk of people aren't gonna get dinged by this. Tbh I can't see too many at all getting dinged by this, as someone that is buying a brand new car most likely has somewhere covered to park it.

Lol as if that $3 per night overnight charge is ever gonna be charged to anyone.

Like sure fine I guess, let's raise more revenue to put toward climate action (which is where the revenue from this is going, car chargers etc), but the whole thing seems wildly performative to me. The real people that will be raising the revenue here are regular folks now paying $45 that were paying $0 before.

Biggest impact will be that some households finally get around to using their garage for car storage instead of junk storage, to get off the street and not have to pay, which seems like a good thing.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 29, 2021

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

skewetoo posted:

Laughs in neoliberalism

You're coughing up blood

is it victory wine?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
A tale of two provinces
https://twitter.com/CP24/status/1443256131569192965
https://twitter.com/HeidiPCTV/status/1443279322941435913

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Terror Sweat posted:

Reading this and thinking "Jesus Christ the hospital killed that man, never go to a hospital"

I didn't realize you had to click that tweet to read the whole story.

Unvaccinated asswipes are putting a strain on the health care system, burning out health care workers, preventing urgent and life-saving care, and directly contributing to promulgating an easily transmissible, deadly, and practically preventable disease. I don't care if we create a two-tiered system at this point. This isn't acceptable.

queeb posted:

My cousin is going to die because she has stomach cancer and was waiting to have surgery in Calgary but it kept being delayed and now she's not viable for it.

gently caress every anti vaxxer, I hope they drown in their own fluids.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Surgeries for cancer patients should be prioritized over care for unvaxxed COVID patients.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HappyHippo posted:

Surgeries for non-covid patients should be prioritized over care for unvaxxed COVID patients.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I mean, in practice that just means denying care for COVID patients - the surgery backlog will ensure that COVID patients die or recover long before it gets to their point in the priority line, which I just don't see happening. Even if someone tried to legislate it, I can't see doctors going along with denying care to emergency patients.

It's frustrating as hell (I had a organ transplant delayed because of COVID, but thankfully was able to squeeze it in for the summer), but I just don't see a path forward where we're letting people die of COVID without healthcare, particularly when there's a lot of unvaccinated people that aren't going to look like some chud protesting in front of a hospital.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It is beyond frustrating that Scott Moe completely hosed up his response but given that the next election is in three years, the Sask Party will almost certainly win by making GBS threads on Ottawa and promising oil and gas will come back if they get re-elected, they swear.

Also count me in on the idea that any vaccinated person who doesn't have a medical reason for it should be put on the back of the line. Live with the consequences of your beliefs fuckers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What if Andrew Wiggins decides that his religious opposition to getting vaccinated isn't worth the money he loses by not playing games in Canada? Does he get to jump the line for special services?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Arc Hammer posted:

What if Andrew Wiggins decides that his religious opposition to getting vaccinated isn't worth the money he loses by not playing games in Canada? Does he get to jump the line for special services?
I don't know what you're trying to say, but Wiggins will be losing money for not playing in San Francisco, not Canada.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

PEI has them as well, but only for parents who are more than an hour from a testing site.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't know what you're trying to say, but Wiggins will be losing money for not playing in San Francisco, not Canada.

Didn't the news say yesterday that he won't be able to play any away games up in Toronto either?

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

PEI has them as well, but only for parents who are more than an hour from a testing site.

How is this possible in PEI?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

The most surprising thing about this is that there are places on PEI more than an hour away from each other.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Didn't the news say yesterday that he won't be able to play any away games up in Toronto either?

there's literally a national interest exception to quarantine rules for unvaccinated nba players coming to play against the raptors, it's loving absurd

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

McGavin posted:

The most surprising thing about this is that there are places on PEI more than an hour away from each other.

I wasn't joking. I legitimately want to know how this is possible. It's 3 hours from tip to tip. 2 well-placed testing sites would basically make it impossible. There have to be more than 2 testing sites.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
I wonder if it's maybe for folks without easy access to transportation (said the person who doesn't know much about PEI).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I don't know jack about PEI but not everybody has easy access to a personal vehicle

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
God listening to Shahab and Merriman bumble through a covid update for 80 goddamn minutes is like pulling teeth.

I dont know how non media people can stand listening to this trash.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 29, 2021

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

God listening to Shahab and Merriman bumble through a covid update for 80 goddamn minutes is like pulling teeth.

I dont know how non media people can stand listening to this trash.

Hey Arc, it sounds like your job is transcribing these public speeches. Do they not release the script they are reading to the public so you can just follow it and note the differences?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

iv46vi posted:

Hey Arc, it sounds like your job is transcribing these public speeches. Do they not release the script they are reading to the public so you can just follow it and note the differences?

The provincial updates typically send out a press release to their email lists simultaneously with the actual announcement. That stuff is easy to find on the provincial websites. The stuff that I'm focused on is the Q&A sessions following the announcement. Most of our clients are government departments, so they're very interested in getting a verbatim transcript of official comments directly from a media avail rather than what gets filtered through a news outlet.

Other times there are technical briefings for media that take place before an open event in order to give journalists background information for their questions during a presser Q&A, and naturally not all of this stuff gets disseminated to the public so departments like Health Canada are keen to get as much info as possible.

The Saskatchewan update today was just agonizing because it was a short announcement followed by a 70 minute long Q&A session with Minister Merriman, who is an aggressive rear end in a top hat, and Dr. Shahab, who makes every sentence three times as long as it should be with stutters and pauses.

The longer an event runs the more time it takes to transcribe so going over an hour for no good reason leaves me annoyed. The health officers and ministers all have their own way of dodging questions and propping up asinine status quo arguments so I'm on a rotating schedule of which province is going to annoy me on a given day. Alberta did an 80 minute long nothingburger of rejected questions, Saskatchewan did 80 minutes of fumbling and mumbling today with Moe in hiding so people don't make fun of him, and I'll probably have another New Brunswick shitshow later this week as Higgs tries to convince everyone that he's not running the worst Maritimes province.

On occasion I do get to listen to fun stuff, like when the space agency sends us videos to transcribe, but day in day out covid updates for two years has worn down my patience for the provinces and their public health officials. It's my job to listen and record, so I grumble and do it. I just don't know how the people running these events expect the public to care enough to listen for over an hour to cyclical questions and zero accountability from authority figures.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 29, 2021

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Ah, so it’s your personal hell we’re stuck in.

A trap door leading to an alligator pit that opens if none of the journos find your answer satisfactory would be pretty great … for the greater good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

HappyHippo posted:

Surgeries for cancer patients should be prioritized over care for unvaxxed COVID patients.

On a tangent my moms knee replacement is delayed a year or so cause of these fucks. So while she hobbles around and loses confidence day by the day these stains on society go out and cry about a needle.

I hope they all rot.

Esp the southern health fuckers here in Manitoba. Choke on your wheat fields you pieces of poo poo.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I've been waiting on a colonoscopy for months and months

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Jagmeet calling for the Federal government to do something about Kenney's historic incompetence:

https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1443353201336623105

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

but but that's provincial jurisdiction, so the proper thing for the PM to do is sit around and watch things get worse.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

but but that's provincial jurisdiction, so the proper thing for the PM to do is sit around and watch things get worse.

There has to be some kind of 150 year old law that says the prime minister can deport any politician to England.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well there's the Emergencies Act but then the provinces would scream about federal overreach.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

Yeah he directly calls out; "health is predominantly a provincial jurisdiction but..." If our provincial-federal system is allowing Canadians to die en-masse, I'm pretty ok with chucking it. We're probably going to have to do the same many times this century dealing with climate change and whatever the fallout of Alberta going fully bankrupt from no oil money happens to be.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

On a tangent my moms knee replacement is delayed a year or so cause of these fucks. So while she hobbles around and loses confidence day by the day these stains on society go out and cry about a needle.

I hope they all rot.

Esp the southern health fuckers here in Manitoba. Choke on your wheat fields you pieces of poo poo.

I'm getting tired of all these articles trying to paint their ignorance as nuanced and "rooted in history". It all comes down to knee-jerk "no gently caress you dad" borne out of a persecution complex.

Which honestly I'd be fine with if we could triage them to the very back of the line, but that's never going to happen. I can't imagine what I'd do if I ended up being told that my cancer could have been treated six months ago, but now it's too late and I'm going to die because of a bunch of stupid hicks.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

take federal money, play by federal rules imho

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Alctel posted:

I've been waiting on a colonoscopy for months and months

what's next? back-alley colonoscopies?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HappyHippo posted:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Orthanc6 posted:

Yeah he directly calls out; "health is predominantly a provincial jurisdiction but..." If our provincial-federal system is allowing Canadians to die en-masse, I'm pretty ok with chucking it. We're probably going to have to do the same many times this century dealing with climate change and whatever the fallout of Alberta going fully bankrupt from no oil money happens to be.

Well, it's like my job. As a flight instructor, I've got to sit and watch my students make mistakes, and gently prod them in the right direction and remind them of what they're doing wrong. If flight safety is in question, though, I'm going to grab the controls and say "I have control" and they get to sit and watch and reflect on why I decided to do that, and we have a nice talk about it once it's safe to do so.

You can't simply let people off themselves when you have the power to prevent it, it's immoral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm getting tired of all these articles trying to paint their ignorance as nuanced and "rooted in history". It all comes down to knee-jerk "no gently caress you dad" borne out of a persecution complex.

Which honestly I'd be fine with if we could triage them to the very back of the line, but that's never going to happen. I can't imagine what I'd do if I ended up being told that my cancer could have been treated six months ago, but now it's too late and I'm going to die because of a bunch of stupid hicks.

There was that article recently about them being hesitant cause mennonities were persecuted. My loving wife is menno, her entire family obviously is too and the direct family are all vaxxed! It’s such BS.

E: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid-19-stanley-winkler-morden-southern-health-wfpcbc-cbc-1.6192673