Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Car Hater posted:

They also already have their domes. Cheyenne Mountain. Raven Rock. Chiashan. And thousands of others scattered throughout the world, designed to keep the notion of the state and it's right to dominate you alive forever. You think they didn't think of you pooping in the vents when your grandparents were still in nappies?

Only Da Bomb can save us now

but all those bases are useless without Da Bomb. the bomb is both your savior and your jailkeeper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Nah they'll use the bases as the bailey and the physical defenses as the motte in order to kickstart their little local feudalisms. We must deny them our descendents

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Sep 29, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shima Honnou posted:

anyone who's worked a logistics job knows that capitalism optimizes through skeletonization, there is zero resilience or wiggle room to it. everything has been like three tractor-trailers from collapse for over 20 years.

crossposted from doomsday economics: https://www.reddit.com/r/supplychain/comments/pww8h9/is_there_even_a_case_for_optimism/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Car Hater posted:

Nah they'll use the bases as the bailey and the physical defenses as the most in order to kickstart their little local feudalisms. We must deny them our descendents

nah there's a reason its a bailey and not a cavey

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, not that people in here have to be MORE angry, but this is just another example of end-stage :capitalism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfQJiGJO5Bo

We've gone from "A Diamond is Forever" to "Only Simps Buy Lab-Made."

I expected this to turn into an Onion parody clip aaaany second, but it never did. Can't wrap my head around why someone would agree to take this gig.

Yeah, the answer is "money, lol". But de Armas' career is about to go into overdrive, so whyyyyyyyy?

Skimmed through the comments, not a single jab at big diamond, everyone's just fawning over how pretty everything is.

:smithicide:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcbexx posted:

Skimmed through the comments, not a single jab at big diamond, everyone's just fawning over how pretty everything is.

well sure, you can delete negative comments on your videos and their ad agency has someone answering comments and monitoring the page

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Trabisnikof posted:

well sure, you can delete negative comments on your videos and their ad agency has someone answering comments and monitoring the page

Everything's pretty under capitalism.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Car Hater posted:

Lol fine I'll run the imaginary person over with my bike instead, as if it matters. The domes aren't coming to save us.

Better cool it. Someone out there right now is adding this post to a spreadsheet about violent extremism in CSPAM.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The Protagonist posted:

You don't think the hyper-nationalism turned hyper-fascism will do every horrible thing possible in its power to prolong some semblance of the lifestyle the imperial core has afforded them thus far?

This is not a callout directed at you or any individual in the thread, but I wanted to comment on a more pervasive phenomenon I've noticed picking up steam recently, concurrent with the accelerating extreme weather events and general breakdown.

I'm still workshopping it but for now call it 'sudden collapse optimism', the bizarrely comforting idea that the forces that have both perpetrated and denied the ecological cataclysm will suddenly be subject to the very forces they have unleashed. It's a much harder pill to swallow that they'll do everything they can to keep the party going a little bit longer (insert whatever atrocities your imagination can summon) and their political base of support will swell and grow as they continue to, quite successfully, project blame on outsiders and The Other.

Most of the posters ITT have reached some level of acceptance about the ecological predicament as it stands, and a sudden collapse of The State in the face of that is an odd, and I would argue, idealistic offshoot of that awareness.

The idea that the brutalism of capital will expand exponentially in the face of this crisis and is likely outlast all of us is another step down the crack-ping steps to hell that is hard to accept.

We will live to see manmade horrors beyond our comprehension.

IMO, this "collapse optimism" you reference is again a result of the Pandemic and the shenanigans in the USA and the UK pulling back the curtain on how fragile our governments control actually is. We like to imagine that our governments and power structures are various degrees of conniving in evil plans, because even if those plans are evil they still imply that there is competence at the top which has a firm grip on events - even if it's an evil grip.

Instead the Pandemic revealed that western governance has been almost if not totally hollowed out by the effects of late stage capitalism, to the extent that they were unable to enforce basic pandemic control processes and turned into plague boilers so that poo poo like sports venues didn't lose money. It laid bare the supply chain fragility underlying our entire civilization and the harsh reality that if, for example, some rogue actor nuked Taiwan - it would likely end it once semiconductor stockpiles run out.

We've hit the stage in the technological cycle where we require existing infrastructure to continue to function uninterrupted to build the components to maintain existing infrastructure. Semiconductor lithographer equipment manufacturers can't make the machines to spin up semiconductor capacity because the chips they required are so constrained, for example. If you disrupt a system like this, poo poo collapses and given how rapidly poo poo is falling apart it is deeply unlikely we'll see any outcome than a downward spiral.

IMO, the hyper-nationalist fascism stage of this decline will be shockingly brief, because these institutions are inherently subject to physical systemic pressures so far out of their control (and possibly comprehension) that they will be unable to muster the control over circumstance necessary to maintain control over territory. Primarily because the people running that show will be the same types who got us here, who fundamentally are incapable of understanding the depth of the poo poo we are in, and are incapable of maintaining the "imperial core" as it exists today - before poo poo gets Real.

Fascism in the West, no matter how much oil they pump and how hard they jackboot minorities and social agitators, will not avert the collapse of industrial agriculture and subsequent apocalyptic dust storms as heat-dome induced winds strip the soil from depleted fields and scour the continent with it. They will not restore the flow of the Colorado River. The effects of the food supply collapsing will however, in very short order, end any form of central governance.

IMO this is not "optimism" that capitalism is going to suddenly collapse in the near future, per SE, rather it is dawning recognition that every power, economic, or social structure currently known to man is Utterly hosed by the systemic chain reactions we've unleashed - and are now close enough to see the end of.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.
lol lmao
https://www.indiatimes.com/technology/science-and-future/humans-middle-of-mass-extinction-event-550114.html

quote:

Is the threat of a mass extinction event on Earth looming large? Scientists have found a key signifier of impending doom for all civilisation on Earth.

Based on algae and bacterial bloom patterns in water bodies, scientists are convinced that a serious extinction event is about to hit us. Changes in the algal and bacterial make-up of water bodies points to an ongoing ecological disaster.

What the signs say
These changes are akin to what happened when the last mass extinction event happened 251 million years ago, known as the "Great Dying". At this time, 90 per cent of all species on Earth disappeared, marking the biggest loss of life on the planet.

According to researchers from the Swedish Museum of Natural History, Stockholm, toxic algae and bacteria that are now growing in our lakes and rivers mirror the characteristics of the blooms that existed in the Great Dying period.

Current changes in freshwater bodies is linked to a range of human activities including deforestation, loss of soil, and emission of greenhouse gases. In the study published in Nature Communications, scientists said that algal and bacterial blooms are linked to mass extinction events, calling this correlation a "disconcerting signal" for environmental changes in the future.

It appears that we're actually in the middle of a mass extinction event... this one caused entirely by human actions.

What do microbial blooms do?
Microbial blooms do not simply kill the life in freshwater bodies, but also delay the potential recovery of these ecosystems by millions of years, the team claimed. To reach this conclusion, the scientists analysed fossil records near Sydney, Australia that were buried before, during and after the Great Dying period.
Most of the extinction events during that time were due to volcanic eruptions that drove global temperatures up and emitted greenhouse gases. Not much later, wildfires, droughts and other extreme climate events became common. The same pattern is currently forming on contemporary Earth.

This led to loss of forests. Owing to this, soil and nutrients that once nourished the forest land seeped into nearby lakes and rivers, causing microbial and algal blooms to glow. Due to higher temperatures, such blooms would have been already been thriving in those freshwater bodies.

Microbes are important for maintaining the health of any freshwater ecosystem. But in excess, they turn our sources of water into toxic soup that kills all life. While the Great Dying blooms flourished without human help, the current blooms are a direct product of human action that has contaminated ecosystems. Even then, the key characteristics of blooms from the Great Dying and the ones found now are nearly identical.

By the year 2100, with increasing temperatures, more blooms are expected to grow in our freshwater bodies. By that point, the mass extinction event would be peaking, signs of which have started to appear now.

What does this terrifying news mean for you? Let us know in the comments below. As always, keep reading Indiatimes.com for your daily dose of all things science and technology.

https://twitter.com/ClimateBen/status/1443236321015775236

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

got some toys for the thread!

Cutie Polluties

(they're for sale by a canned water company lol)

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

We're all gonna die soon so smash that like and be sure to subscribe!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Car Hater posted:

They also already have their domes. Cheyenne Mountain. Raven Rock. Chiashan. And thousands of others scattered throughout the world, designed to keep the notion of the state and it's right to dominate you alive forever. You think they didn't think of you pooping in the vents when your grandparents were still in nappies?

Only Da Bomb can save us now

lol I loved the sheer arrogance involved in continuity of government planning.

Yes, we're going to take your tax dollars to build ourselves bunkers to protect ourselves from a nuclear war we probably started in the first place. But it's ok, we'll be there to rebuild society afterward, which will probably mean straight up enslaving you since we have tons of military that survived and not much else. Aren't you happy you still have a government though?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

got some toys for the thread!

Cutie Polluties

(they're for sale by a canned water company lol)

lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

awful lot of copium in those comments, tho

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

And every can has an interior coating of extremely strong and extremely non-biodegradable plastic that can even stand up to acid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBQEnVR7y9k

So they can go gently caress themselves in two respects: hypocrisy and unnecessary carbon use in shipping their repackaged H2O all over the country world. The "Boxed Water" folks can get hosed, too.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Sep 29, 2021

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And every can has an interior coating of extremely strong and extremely non-biodegradable plastic that can even stand up to acid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBQEnVR7y9k

So they can go gently caress themselves in two respects: hypocrisy and unnecessary carbon use in shipping their repackaged H2O all over the country. The "Boxed Water" folks can get hosed, too.

excuse you, they use ground water from the Alps and ship the water all the way across the globe tyvm

quote:

Most major bottled water brands are actually just processed municipal tap water. Liquid Death comes from a deep underground mountain source protected by a few hundred feet of stone. The water is tapped right from the source into our bottler where it goes directly into air-tight cans after a fancy purification process that 100% maintains the original mineral profile of the water. And these natural minerals (aka electrolytes) aren’t just good for your body, they will murder your thirst. Instantly.

also they donate to charity what more do you want :v:

quote:

10% OF THE PROFITS FROM EVERY CAN IS DONATED TO HELP KILL PLASTIC POLLUTION.

Every time you buy a can of Liquid Death, we donate a portion of the profits to a handful of non-profits who are fighting the plastic problem and bringing clean drinking water to people in need.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So they can go gently caress themselves in two respects: hypocrisy and unnecessary carbon use in shipping their repackaged H2O all over the country world. The "Boxed Water" folks can get hosed, too.

All of the history books are so politely condescending and derisive of those dumb Romans and their lead pipes.

[looks at all the plastic all over food and water and everything]

Anyway we definitely learned from that mistake.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

unironic thirst mutilator:black101: product as a means to combat pollution sure is something

Rime posted:

IMO, the hyper-nationalist fascism stage of this decline will be shockingly brief, because these institutions are inherently subject to physical systemic pressures so far out of their control (and possibly comprehension) that they will be unable to muster the control over circumstance necessary to maintain control over territory.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I do hope you're right about the above.

I still dread what state institutions, wounded and cornered meta-organisms that they are, will do in their death throes

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

me, an urban planning master's student who is extremely passionate about the environment, about to graduate, and looking for literally any jobs that would allow me to direct my time & energy toward making the infrastructure of my city more resilient to a changing climate and increased frequency of extreme weather events (a city whose main freeway just turned into a canal for a week): "huh, these jobs don't seem to exist at all!"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

my favorite part of just getting a peek at the supply constraints is that i live 3 hours from los angeles lmfao. if its happening here how tf is inland america even paying for trucking cost lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

quote:

400 year climate projections are silly

I believe there is a climate crisis. I think billions could die if we don't work to address it.

But to make a projection that far is nonsensical.

Let's say the worst case is right. Well, in 100 years you probably have a few billion less humans to start. Which means you have a lot less negative impact on the climate. We'd probably be knocked back to pre-industrial time.

You telling me 300 years at that level won't even begin to revert things? I find that hard to believe.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

God Hole posted:

me, an urban planning master's student

i've got an urban master plan for ya

*gyrates skull codpiece @ u*

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

God Hole posted:

me, an urban planning master's student who is extremely passionate about the environment, about to graduate, and looking for literally any jobs that would allow me to direct my time & energy toward making the infrastructure of my city more resilient to a changing climate and increased frequency of extreme weather events (a city whose main freeway just turned into a canal for a week): "huh, these jobs don't seem to exist at all!"

https://www.fema.gov/grants/mitigation/building-resilient-infrastructure-communities

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

God Hole posted:

best you can hope for is making a substack that blows up with locally powerful who get annoyed when their workers can’t get to work on time

like those are the exact kind of grants you need to already be powerful to get. Like PA DOT gets those grants not some doe eyed activist with an MA and a heart of gold

like this is the cheapest one they funded last round

quote:

NEW CASTLE, NEW YORK: UPPER MINKEL DAM DECOMMISSIONING & RIPARIAN CORRIDOR RESTORATION PROJECT - $1.05 MILLION

Benefits: Reduces potential flood hazard for downstream communities and natural ecosystem restoration

The Upper Minkel Dam is a high hazard Class C dam with a high cost of maintenance to prevent any imminent dam breach. Removing the dam and restoring the stream and its riparian area will have a positive environmental benefit because it will help mitigate flood damage associated with the dam and remove a barrier to fish species designated as Species of Greatest Conservation Need that migrate through this area—the American eel and herring.

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Sep 29, 2021

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

God Hole posted:

consider it your daily reminder that none of the problems discussed in this thread can be solved via the market; your best bet is probably unless' link, spending dozens or hundreds of hours assembling a grant proposal and team, then losing because your competition was better at lies and bribery than you are

good luck!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

typing environmental planner into linkedin gets you a ton of results, but 100% of them are to work in compliance helping huge private corporations sidestep zoning laws and local regulations as they're building their toxic waste dump processing facility in a black community

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

God Hole posted:

typing environmental planner into linkedin gets you a ton of results, but 100% of them are to work in compliance helping huge private corporations sidestep zoning laws and local regulations as they're building their toxic waste dump processing facility in a black community

"why do you oppose jobs for the black community?!"

*processing facility is built, all the workers commute by suv from white suburbs*

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No, I think when the hyper-nationalist, hyper-fascist powers start to quarrel with each other over what's left is when you're going to start seeing the canned sunshine being cracked open.

I keep bringing up the ending of "Three Days of the Condor" in my head, when Redford's character finally gets his "friend" to cop to being one of the bad guys.

lol, movie after book after tv show after documentary made over the 70 years and the impact is close to zero, the same poo poo is happening today
the power of culture

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Doctor Jeep posted:

lol, movie after book after tv show after documentary made over the 70 years and the impact is close to zero, the same poo poo is happening today
the power of culture

almost all of those stories have a hero character who does the right thing, thus performing its job by convincing the people watching it that the problem isnt that bad because theres a good guy out there wholl fix it

kater
Nov 16, 2010

quote:

What does this terrifying news mean for you? Let us know in the comments below.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I knew permafrost melt was theorized to release methane deposits but I didn't know they would come in the form of giant explosions
https://twitter.com/motherboard/status/1443051176371658753?s=20

Only registered members can see post attachments!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Is that a voidout?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-30/us-declares-23-species-including-ivory-billed-woodpecker-extinct/100502454

quote:

The Trump administration ended enforcement against companies for accidental bird deaths in 2017, following pressure from oil companies, utilities and other industries.

The Independent Petroleum Association of America said resuming prosecutions would harm businesses that killed birds "through no fault of their own".

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

This explains why when I went to a turbine site in West Texas and asked about reporting bird kills, as they didn't mention it during orientation, they just laughed and joked about the oil well ponds all over everywhere.

I thought they were just playing fast and loose with the law, at the time.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/09/29/us-declares-23-species-extinct-including-9-hawaii/

quote:

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Of the 23 species the U.S. government declared extinct his week, nine were indigenous to Hawaii.

No other state or U.S. territory has more species on the extinction list ― due in large part to Hawaii’s biodiversity. Eight of the Hawaii species are woodland birds and is a plant.

The most recent to go extinct was the poouli, a honeycreeper discovered in 1973.

By the late 1990s just three remained — a male and two females.
After failures to mate them in the wild, the male was captured for potential breeding and died in 2004. The two females were never seen again.

The other species declared extinct in Hawaii were:

Kauai akialoa (bird), last confirmed sighting in 1969
Kauai nukupuu (bird), last confirmed sighting in 1899
Kauai oo (bird), last confirmed sighting in 1987
Large Kauai thrush (bird), last confirmed sighting in 1987
Maui akepa (bird), last confirmed sighting in 1988
Maui nukupuu (bird), last confirmed sighting in 1996
Molokai creeper (bird), last confirmed sighting in 1963
Phyllostegia glabra var. lanaiensis (plant), last confirmed sighting in 1914
The fate of Hawaii’s birds helped push Duke University extinction expert Stuart Pimm into his field. Despite the grim nature of the government’s proposal to move more species into the extinct column, Pimm said the toll would probably have been much higher without the Endangered Species Act.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
we really loving hate birds

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Irony.or.Death posted:

consider it your daily reminder that none of the problems discussed in this thread can be solved via the market; your best bet is probably unless' link, spending dozens or hundreds of hours assembling a grant proposal and team, then losing because your competition was better at lies and bribery than you are

good luck!

… or, y’know, reach out to the teams that have already succeeded in getting the grants and help them, thus ensuring greater success in leading those kinds of projects in the real world

college boy

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

God Hole posted:

you just do what you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I don't understand, i keep trying to find a way to dig out of this hole, but the hole keeps getting deeper? surely there's some way to dig our way out of collapse!