Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I've been calling my dad "Old Man" since I was like 15

my little brother used to call my dad "big guy" which was pretty cute in retrospect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ford's gonna sell more electric f-150s than tesla's entire production next year lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

ford's gonna sell more electric f-150s than tesla's entire production next year lmao

ford actually has to recall vehicles when they're bad though so that could be an issue

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
imagine being butthurt in public about not being invited to joey's car party lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

hobbesmaster posted:

ford actually has to recall vehicles when they're bad though so that could be an issue

has there really been no Tesla recalls?

re: Europe and autopilot. turns out I was wrong and you can enable it at least in Norway if you for some reason don’t like being safe. not sure how much auto pilot you’re exposed to tho

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tesla had to replace all those model s/x faulty screens

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

champagne posting posted:

there's been a handful, but (other than the lovely fail screens that nhtsa basically had to force them to do), they've all been really obvious safety issues

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

there was a 3/y recall on loose caliper bolts, and i looked up if my car was affected but it wasn't.

a few months back, my car's upper control arm started squeaking real bad so tesla replaced it for free. a poo poo load of other owners say they needed theirs replaced as well so i'd be pissed if i had to pay out of warranty.

also, my 12v battery failed, and tesla also replaced that free of charge due to warranty. this isn't unique to tesla, lots of evs suck at managing their lead acid 12v battery but it's still weird that you have to jump-start an ev

edit: for a car that's supposed to be 'maintenance free', there's some common things owners need to be aware that fail in case they plan on owning teslas out of warranty

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 29, 2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

champagne posting posted:

re: Europe and autopilot. turns out I was wrong and you can enable it at least in Norway if you for some reason don’t like being safe. not sure how much auto pilot you’re exposed to tho

Autopilot is just adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist. Full Self Driving is the thing that’s in beta but also costs $10,000 dollars and tries to drive your car into pedestrians and bollards and oncoming traffic on city streets.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

tesla has had many issues with their cars where a big traditional car company would probably do a recall just to be on the safe side

however teslas strategy seems to be a mix of downplaying, blaming the user for holding it wrong and as a last resort offering to pay for replacements and repairs

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

also people really love the car and put up with some insanely bad poo poo without complaints

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Penisface posted:

also people really love the car and put up with some insanely bad poo poo without complaints

tesla car owners can have a little stockholm syndrome, as a treat

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

tesla car owners can have a little stockholm syndrome, as a treat

i think people have a very naive assumption that the tech companies are doing well by doing good things and that they can do this and make insane amounts of money because they have mastered technology

instead it’s more like that they are loving over everyone and everything as much as they can and the technology is used to min max cutting every corner possible while remaining number go up

putting out an objectively good product is just not a priority really

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Penisface posted:

tesla has had many issues with their cars where a big traditional car company would probably do a recall just to be on the safe side

however teslas strategy seems to be a mix of downplaying, blaming the user for holding it wrong and as a last resort offering to pay for replacements and repairs

Tesla feels a lot like a pre-pinto carmaker.

the traditional car companies are relatively quick on safety recalls and notices because they saw one of their own get hit with a half-billion judgement (inflation adjusted) with dozens of identical cases in the pipeline ready to gently caress them, charged with reckless homicide, and forced to deal with decades of branding fallout.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Shifty Pony posted:

Tesla feels a lot like a pre-pinto carmaker.

the traditional car companies are relatively quick on safety recalls and notices because they saw one of their own get hit with a half-billion judgement (inflation adjusted) with dozens of identical cases in the pipeline ready to gently caress them, charged with reckless homicide, and forced to deal with decades of branding fallout.

Tesla in the 2020s is basically the Jaguar in the 1960s.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like how Subaru has an app where you can check your your recalls, past and present :3:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

edit: for a car that's supposed to be 'maintenance free', there's some common things owners need to be aware that fail in case they plan on owning teslas out of warranty
does Tesla claim their cars are maintenance free, or is that an owner claim. because lol either way

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

does Tesla claim their cars are maintenance free, or is that an owner claim. because lol either way

this is all they got for my car

it kind of worries me that they don't recommend changing the transmission fluid. metal gears shed a decent amount of material initially so it would make sense to replace the oil/filter at least once but they don't suggest it. perhaps tesla figures that the gearbox will explode well after the warranty expires so who gives a gently caress, right?

edit: as a contrast to this, my electric motorcycle needs to have its transmission fluid replaced at 600 miles on the odo, and every 6k miles after that.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 29, 2021

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
the article on the 400k mile tesla was pretty cool

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this one

https://jalopnik.com/this-tesla-model-x-has-driven-over-400-000-miles-here-1841761190

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

$29k in maintenance for 400,000 miles seems like a fuckin bargain to me, and up until like 150-220k its loving insanely cheap. At that point in most cars you'd be looking at like 3 or 4 timing belt changes, probably a new clutch, all kindsa poo poo

rotor fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 29, 2021

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

$29k in maintenance for 400,000 miles seems like a fuckin bargain to me, and up until like 150-220k its loving insanely cheap. At that point in most cars you'd be looking at like 3 or 4 timing belt changes, probably a new clutch, all kindsa poo poo
in theory electric cars should be much cheaper to maintain (many fewer moving parts, no pumps or belts or hoses, dead-simple drive train, etc.)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

here's a Prius that hit 500k with $24k in maintenance costs, according to the owner.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I dont really believe this. Thats 5 timing chain replacements alone, not to mention the oil changes and the rest. Either they're doing a lot of their own maintenance or underreporting costs or not keeping good records and forgetting or just not doing the scheduled maintanance and getting lucky.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Toyota calls for timing chain replacements every 100k miles?

wtf

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

100k mileage replacement on a timing chain? that can't be right, I can't find anything online saying that the chain has a set replacement interval.

sounds like something you'd get told by a dealer pushing you to replace your oil every 3000 miles.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Timing chain only needs replacement when it fails, there's no replacement schedule. Timing belts are 100k though (that's the whole point of the chain)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

100k mileage replacement on a timing chain? that can't be right, I can't find anything online saying that the chain has a set replacement interval.

sounds like something you'd get told by a dealer pushing you to replace your oil every 3000 miles.

my mistake, 80k is for belts

anyway i still dont believe it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tak posted:

Timing chain only needs replacement when it fails

that depends on what kind of engine you have. Chains do stretch and wear and if it's an interference engine that can be an issue.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its worth noting that the tesla in question was only used in SoCal where it will never be subjected to its arch-nemesis: water.

on the other hand, 100k miles per year as a rental aint nothin to sneeze at.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
"an issue" means a new engine ityool 2021 by the way. im so scared of timing chains going but at least they're better than timing belts <hisses>

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
And if you don't change me now
You will never drive me again
I can still hear you saying
You would never break the chain

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Iron Crowned posted:

I've been calling my dad "Old Man" since I was like 15

same

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That's funny because I've been calling all old men "Dad" since I was 15.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Hi old men, I'm Dad

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I see you plagiarized my most successful dating strategy.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i bet a base model corolla or accord could do it for far less even if you did dealer servicing for everything

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Wild EEPROM posted:

i bet a base model corolla or accord could do it for far less even if you did dealer servicing for everything

most corrolas are junked by 300k

that sounds dismissive but 300k is a good lifespan for a car

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

miles isn't everything. putting 300k on a car in 3 years is a lot easier than 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

rotor posted:

Idk what you're smoking to call 29k over 4 years, even with extreme mileage, cheap maintenance. that's the price of an entire new car.

A timing belt job shouldn't be more than 1000 bucks, and nearly all of that is labor so it can get significantly cheaper. Even if you have done it four times by 400k that is....4000 dollars. a new clutch maybe $2000 cause you have to pull the engine out. the most expensive items will be the 6 or so sets of tires you'll wear out by then, call that another 5 grand if you have big stupid wheels but you could easily get away with half that if you have normal wheels and buy the cheapo high mileage tires. a couple thousand in oil changes, brake pads, and miscellaneous poo poo and you're at 15k. that should be about it if you aren't in the rust belt.

where is the other 15k for this "fuckin bargain" coming from?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 30, 2021