Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

I posted a little about this in the lol thread, but I'm just really upset and need to vent about COVID.

My wife and I got married in a small backyard wedding last summer with her nuclear family (my family lives on entirely different ends of the country). We've rescheduled our public ceremony 3 times during COVID in order to wait for when it seemed possible to safely have a large gathering of those we love in order to celebrate our union.

As vaccines have become more and more readily available and mandates are becoming the status quo, she and I decided this fall was time. It's been 2 years since we put a deposit down on our venue and we're loving tired of wedding planning. Our wedding is in 10 days. Our ceremony and reception are outdoors. We just sent out an email detailing how we will be addressing the pandemic and the steps that we're taking to ensure everyone's safety.

My wife wanted every guest to be vaccinated. My family is full of pigshit hick chuds who have suddenly become anti-vax after it became a chud policy plank. So she compromised with me and we asked that our guests be vaccinated OR TAKE AND PASS A COVID TEST WITHIN 72 HOURS OF ARRIVING. So far, both of my (divorced) parents are not coming and my uncle. They all backed out as soon as we made these requirements known.

It hurts a lot that I'm worth less than a COVID test to the people of my immediate family. I feel heartbroken.

My family is living on another goddamn planet if they think they're meeting my future children without being fully vaccinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
You might as well do the vax requirement

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just got confirmation I got the real vaccine in the booster trial. So I really did just have really mild side effects vs dose 2, it was mild enough to make me wonder.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58705938

Vitamin A treatment trial for Covid loss of smell

The University of East Anglia is conducting a 12-week trial... Lead researcher Prof Carl Philpott, from UEA's Norwich Medical School and James Paget University Hospitals NHS Trust, said: "We want to find out whether there is an increase in the size and activity of damaged smell pathways in patients' brains when they are treated with vitamin-A nasal drops.

Is the University of East Anglia legit? I know someone who had a breakthrough case (5 months after second dose) and lost their sense of smell and taste. Too soon to tell if it's a permanent concern (I've seen reports of recovery after about a month), but losing them has been devastating to him in a way that you wouldn't necessarily think of, but that makes sense when you think about how much pleasure can be tied to smells and tastes.

It feels like a "can't hurt" situation, but I don't want to give him false hope on yet another fake home remedy.

EDIT: Added timing of breakthrough case re talk around boosters.

How long until we get the first people turning up with Vitamin A poisoning?

Not questioning the validity of UEA, people just see Vitamins! and start self dosing without a clue.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
As the virus’ delta variant has fueled new waves of infection, the poll of people age 50 or older found 36% are very or extremely worried that they or a family member will be infected, roughly doubled since June. The increase is fueled by the vaccinated, who are especially likely to be highly worried. Just 25% of vaccinated Americans, but 61% of unvaccinated Americans, say they are not worried.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-business-lifestyle-health-illinois-e2d3f24eb72fd6aaa7074f5d3ac8754a

fortunately, the CDC said that unvaccinated people would see me without my mask and say, "what a cool guy, I'm jealous, and I'm going to get vaccinated now"

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Proficient Scoundrel posted:

I posted a little about this in the lol thread, but I'm just really upset and need to vent about COVID.

My wife and I got married in a small backyard wedding last summer with her nuclear family (my family lives on entirely different ends of the country). We've rescheduled our public ceremony 3 times during COVID in order to wait for when it seemed possible to safely have a large gathering of those we love in order to celebrate our union.

As vaccines have become more and more readily available and mandates are becoming the status quo, she and I decided this fall was time. It's been 2 years since we put a deposit down on our venue and we're loving tired of wedding planning. Our wedding is in 10 days. Our ceremony and reception are outdoors. We just sent out an email detailing how we will be addressing the pandemic and the steps that we're taking to ensure everyone's safety.

My wife wanted every guest to be vaccinated. My family is full of pigshit hick chuds who have suddenly become anti-vax after it became a chud policy plank. So she compromised with me and we asked that our guests be vaccinated OR TAKE AND PASS A COVID TEST WITHIN 72 HOURS OF ARRIVING. So far, both of my (divorced) parents are not coming and my uncle. They all backed out as soon as we made these requirements known.

It hurts a lot that I'm worth less than a COVID test to the people of my immediate family. I feel heartbroken.

My family is living on another goddamn planet if they think they're meeting my future children without being fully vaccinated.

I’m sorry that your family has fallen hard on the misinformation, but honestly your wife was totally correct in wanting 100% vaccinated.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Proficient Scoundrel posted:

The fact that not only will they not get vaccinated for a loved one but won’t even get a test is rough. I’m so goddamn sorry, no one deserves to be treated that way, especially by family. hopefully they snap out of it before it’s too late.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
"Get tested within 72 hours after arriving" is useless even if they would do it. They would have 3 days to make sure they give it to everyone before they even step into a lab. Guess what, they're going to test positive because it's not like they were wearing masks on the plane or in daily life. Now everyone has covid.

Did you expect them to strictly quarantine in hotel rooms for those 3 days?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Anne Whateley posted:

"Get tested within 72 hours after arriving" is useless even if they would do it. They would have 3 days to make sure they give it to everyone before they even step into a lab. Guess what, they're going to test positive because it's not like they were wearing masks on the plane or in daily life. Now everyone has covid.

Did you expect them to strictly quarantine in hotel rooms for those 3 days?

You're counting the hours forwards, not backwards like you should.

(But on the other hand, 72 hours is plenty of time to catch covid after they've been tested, particularly if they're travelling. A testing mandate is not a very rigorous policy for preventing infections. It depends on your willingness to accept risk, I guess.)

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Yes, a testing schedule without mandated quarantines and included air travel would give them ample opportunity to find and contract COVID. I am aware of this. It was an attempt at placating and providing some level of mitigation that I believed they could handle.

I always thought that their chud larping would at least allow them give in to even this cosmetic amount of prevention, but alas.

I don't think I'll ever be able to look them in the eye again. It's not even about the wedding (honestly the backyard wedding was enough for me - I'm no groomzilla screaming about My WeDdInG! - this ceremony is mostly to allow my Indian-American wife to have the Hindu wedding she has always wanted since she was a child), I just always hoped that I'd be important enough to set childish things aside for one day.

Knowing that the conservative cesspool wins over me is what is tearing me up inside.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Looks like YouTube is moving to block and remove anti-vaccine content.

"YouTube Blog posted:

We’ve steadily seen false claims about the coronavirus vaccines spill over into misinformation about vaccines in general, and we're now at a point where it's more important than ever to expand the work we started with COVID-19 to other vaccines.

Specifically, content that falsely alleges that approved vaccines are dangerous and cause chronic health effects, claims that vaccines do not reduce transmission or contraction of disease, or contains misinformation on the substances contained in vaccines will be removed. This would include content that falsely says that approved vaccines cause autism, cancer or infertility, or that substances in vaccines can track those who receive them. Our policies not only cover specific routine immunizations like for measles or Hepatitis B, but also apply to general statements about vaccines.

In related news, YouTube premium is actually cool and good, even if their original content is kinda underwhelming.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Just Another Lurker posted:

How long until we get the first people turning up with Vitamin A poisoning?

Not questioning the validity of UEA, people just see Vitamins! and start self dosing without a clue.

Here's hoping a few at least get eaten by polar bears trying to harvest their livers.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Purgatory Glory posted:

And caution tape and a sign that says "currently shedding vaccine :toxx: "

Nope. This is someone that I have to maintain a professional relationship with. He was a pretty good guy before the Qanon brainworms got him, and I don't bear him any ill-will.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Regrettable posted:

Vaccine trip report:
Pfizer 1st shot gave me a sore arm for around 36 hours.
Pfizer 2nd shot gave me a less sore arm than the first for about 16 hours and made me slightly tired but not enough that I couldn't go about my normal day

I had *exactly* the same reaction to Pfizer.

Got notified yesterday that my medical provider will let me get a booster in a couple of months, based on the new CDC criteria. 18-64 with (long list of stuff) may receive the booster 6 months after second shot. Got shot #2 in early May, so I'll be eligible for the booster in early November.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well they're a real university, although most famous for the Climategate email hack, and almost bankrupting themselves building a satellite campus (with huge accommodation tower block) in London that was used in lots of "scare the white people" stories when their prayer room wasn't opened in time so a few hundred Muslim international students did their prayers on the street outside the tiny local mosque across the street.

(I'm being harsh on them, the whole reason why Climategate was such a big thing was that UEA is a world leader on research into climate change - they're pretty legit at least in that field, I've no idea what their medical department is like)

Wasnt Climategate a bunch of nothing burger horse poo poo from regressives because surely the fake smoking gun is here, and no its just emails.

Its just like the Clinton emails. pizza is just pizza and clinton is an old woman that sometimes literally just ask or sends cookie recipes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

Wasnt Climategate a bunch of nothing burger horse poo poo from regressives because surely the fake smoking gun is here, and no its just emails.

Its just like the Clinton emails. pizza is just pizza and clinton is an old woman that sometimes literally just ask or sends cookie recipes.

Yeah it all came down to literally one email about how to present certain data using the word "trick". That was it.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Azathoth Prime posted:

Nope. This is someone that I have to maintain a professional relationship with. He was a pretty good guy before the Qanon brainworms got him, and I don't bear him any ill-will.

You're picking some random coworker over me?!?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

had a minor meltdown at the grocery store at some dipshit without a mask

how much longer are we thinking this covid thing is gonna stick around?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

punishedkissinger posted:

Forever

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
If we are really doing this, did anyone else get loving stoned off Pfizer?

First one was like a mild hangover, plus the excruciating arm pain.

But the second one, I had aphasia, I randomly left the freezer open and so much poo poo half-melted, I vaguely remember either crawling across my carpet or falling over for no reason.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

it did nothing for me when injected, but if you vape it you can get pretty hosed up

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Pinecone Sample posted:

But the second one, I had aphasia, I randomly left the freezer open and so much poo poo half-melted, I vaguely remember either crawling across my carpet or falling over for no reason.

Should have rubbed a cold potato on the injection site.

Though for the moderna one I got, I just got mild cold-like symptoms.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i posted about this elsewhere but I just got lolled at as being a luddite that didnt understand bus passes.

But I went to a big trade show thing the other day at EXCEL. The ticket said everyone was required to be vaccinated or give a negative test and had to bring their NHS covid pass. The most common way to get this is use an app or login to your nhs account and download a pdf with a qr code that contains your vaccination status.

I suppose I am a bit of a luddite and cant be arsed finding the pdf on my phone every time I wanted in and out, maybe my phone dies, theres no internet in the underground car park etc. So I printed the QR code and tucked it under my transparent phone case as a quick, easy failsafe way to get in. The security guys and gals could not handle this. Told me it was just a qr code, they needed to see my nhs qr code so I faff about pulling up the pdf with the exact same qr code on it. They look at it for a split second and I'm in, didn't scan the code which is the only way to know what the gently caress it says.

So in the UK at least, all these covid passes to be allowed in places are basically pointless security theatre as far as I'm concerned.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

I don't know about the other side of the pond, but my stupid oversized CDC card was completed by some second-shot scheduling short-term employee at a mega site who called me a racial slur but that's besides the point.

Anyway, her handwriting was bad, and last week a bouncer told me that my name didn't match my driver's license but he was gonna let me in anyway because he was cool (he wasn't).

gently caress America and gently caress 2021.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pinecone Sample posted:

I found Pfizer to be more of a crunchy body high, but I hear Spikevax can induce astral projection

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

its over what are you talking about

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

All of the public health experts here are saying for at least a few more years.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

noone wears masks here anymore. I am waiting for the first person to take the piss or otherwise confront me for doing so

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

It's still mandated for businesses here but there's a lot of assholes

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

NotJustANumber99 posted:

noone wears masks here anymore. I am waiting for the first person to take the piss or otherwise confront me for doing so

I haven't left the house without a mask for over 18 months. Even during the periods masks weren't required, I continued to wear them because I'm immunocompromised. No-one has ever commented on or hassled me about wearing a mask.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

https://i.imgur.com/WwKH9RX.mp4

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1443313922929532935?s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lolie posted:

I haven't left the house without a mask for over 18 months. Even during the periods masks weren't required, I continued to wear them because I'm immunocompromised. No-one has ever commented on or hassled me about wearing a mask.

Well thats good at least.

I just feel very silly and self conscious now putting it on when nobody much else seems to be. Why am I even doing it? Like I am imagining people's complaints for them. Oh I'm some stuck up prick thats wearing a mask and thinking I'm better than them non mask wearers. I dunno.

I dunno who I'm trying to please.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i posted about this elsewhere but I just got lolled at as being a luddite that didnt understand bus passes.

But I went to a big trade show thing the other day at EXCEL. The ticket said everyone was required to be vaccinated or give a negative test and had to bring their NHS covid pass. The most common way to get this is use an app or login to your nhs account and download a pdf with a qr code that contains your vaccination status.

I suppose I am a bit of a luddite and cant be arsed finding the pdf on my phone every time I wanted in and out, maybe my phone dies, theres no internet in the underground car park etc. So I printed the QR code and tucked it under my transparent phone case as a quick, easy failsafe way to get in. The security guys and gals could not handle this. Told me it was just a qr code, they needed to see my nhs qr code so I faff about pulling up the pdf with the exact same qr code on it. They look at it for a split second and I'm in, didn't scan the code which is the only way to know what the gently caress it says.

So in the UK at least, all these covid passes to be allowed in places are basically pointless security theatre as far as I'm concerned.

Haven't tried it personally yet but in the Netherlands the response varies. Some businesses are strict and will actually check the code. Others will only look whether it looks right (there is an animation playing on the QR code app so you can't just present a screenshot). Still others don't bother.

There's a work function next week and one colleague has won't join because she either can't or won't provide a certificate (of either vaccination or negative test). It's kind of disappointing because she's a super nice person and now I'm afraid she's an anti vaxxer woo woman in the best case, or a turbo chud in the worst.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why am I even doing it? Like I am imagining people's complaints for them. Oh I'm some stuck up prick thats wearing a mask and thinking I'm better than them non mask wearers. I dunno.

I dunno who I'm trying to please.

But you drive a Tesla???

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i dont know what thats got to do with it

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
When I got my 2nd Pfizer last week the person asked me if I wanted to see the label on the needle I was being given. I said "Sure" basically just out of curiosity, but was the reason for this to placate people who might be suspicious of the vaccine? Or is it just to have a 2nd set of eyes to confirm you're getting the same brand as your first dose?
It seems kind of pointless because if you did think there was something suspicious going on, surely you'd realise they could just slap any label onto the needle - it's not like they'd let you do a personal analysis on the contents of the needle even if you had the knowledge or equipment to do so. As far as I'm aware they were only doing Pfizer at this location, so I don't think it was to prevent a mix-up happening. Anyway, for side effects I only had a mild headache which wasn't even bad enough to bother taking anything for, so I'm pretty happy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This is what I think about every single time I leave my house. I'm just waiting to get into a fight with someone. I'm on edge whenever I'm out but try to keep calm.

Lolie posted:

I haven't even had the slightest cold since January of last year. CAN"T BE BECAUSE OF THE MASKKK THE YDON"T WORK!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Pinecone Sample posted:

No but I felt like I had a hangover on my third day, after being sick for two. I have autoimmune issues (type 1 diabetes) so it probably hit me a little harder than most.

I live in a conservative backwoods pocket of New York, so the closest thing to a high was finally feeling relief from constant fear of dying from antimask antivax assholes. Hell, my own sister went full on Q and started ranting about vaccines making people magnetic.

Getting my booster tomorrow! :cheers: