Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Sigma balls.

Also the idea of "grading" different sorts of masculinity and trying to force different versions of yourself into categories is one I understand but really despise.

I dunno I think most guys intuitively understand where they are on this scale.

Not safe for work
https://i.imgur.com/bfHSKWC.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

every time I read a review by Ebert, it's poo poo

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

thetoughestbean posted:

Hogwarts Houses but for masculinity

That's another thing I goddamn hate. You can talk about what things interest you and what you long for or what have you but trying to stuff everything into cutesy boxes whilst making it a way of selling people stuff is just gross.

Gripweed posted:

Can't say I am entirely sure tbh, for most people I imagine it fluctuates.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Consider the source:

I'm not entirely sure a "male dominance hierarchy" scale that was absolutely composed with one hand is going to hold up to any actual scrutiny.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

That's another thing I goddamn hate. You can talk about what things interest you and what you long for or what have you but trying to stuff everything into cutesy boxes whilst making it a way of selling people stuff is just gross.

That's why you combine your hogwarts house with your dnd alignment and mbti type

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's why you combine your hogwarts house with your dnd alignment and mbti type

I honestly prefer astrology to these. For all the weird poo poo about stars it's at least something with a very long and silly history.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

All these clarification systems are worthless. We've already got a perfectly accurate and robust way to catagorize people. Chads and virgins. And if you disagree then I've got bad news about which of the two you fall into

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

All these clarification systems are worthless. We've already got a perfectly accurate and robust way to catagorize people. Chads and virgins. And if you disagree then I've got bad news about which of the two you fall into

The only people using this are, by their own scales, virgins.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pastry of the Year posted:

Consider the source:

I'm not entirely sure a "male dominance hierarchy" scale that was absolutely composed with one hand is going to hold up to any actual scrutiny.

You have effortlessly noticed the single small detail that could lead someone to think that chart is a sex thing.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I saw that term "omega male" a few times but I didn't know it meant a person who gets pissmouthed with a boner

I think I don't understand the internet

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Manager Hoyden posted:

I saw that term "omega male" a few times but I didn't know it meant a person who gets pissmouthed with a boner
Sometimes it's more of a wolf-person.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

My fave was learning of the Sigma Male encouragement asmr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2kYTf5Zs38

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I don't know why anyone would want to own a bird as an indoor pet. I'm sure I've said this before, but I just don't get it. They smell absolutely terrible, it's cruel to keep something that can fly cooped up, and frankly they're just annoying loud creatures.

Sure they're pretty, but you can just go bird watching and let them live their lives without having them spray poo poo inside your home all day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Josef Bugman is a pretty cool poster.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Robobot posted:

I don't know why anyone would want to own a bird dog as an indoor pet. I'm sure I've said this before, but I just don't get it. They smell absolutely terrible, it's cruel to keep something that can fly cooped up, and frankly they're just annoying loud creatures.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Dogs are different than birds. They're basically an animal humans created specifically for companionship.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

dogs are our partners in crime

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

dogs are our partners in crime

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Thank you I love them

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Josef Bugman is a pretty cool poster.

v. unpopular

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

I honestly prefer astrology to these. For all the weird poo poo about stars it's at least something with a very long and silly history.

I really hate astrology. There’s a whole industry selling it to gullible morons. Sure, it’s way way less harmful than the “sigma male” bullshit, but we shouldn’t encourage stuff that’s just so provably fake

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Relevant PHUO: Tarot is actually a really useful tool for storytelling and focusing your thoughts, not because of any supernatural fortune-telling ability, but because it presents you with universal stories and archetypes to react to. How could the concept of "Seeing things from a different perspective" or "Death is rebirth" or "There's a fine line between love and obsession" be relevant to whatever circumstance you're meditating on? You could use MTG cards or baseball cards or whatever for the same purpose, but it's just a neat concept and exercise.

This is in stark contrast to things like astrology, where the concepts are still arbitrary, but instead of being random each time, they are consistent and treated as innate or essential to you. Astrology is a lot like other essentialist social constructs like race and gender, but thankfully not as deeply entrenched.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone talking about astrology sounds totally insane.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Muscle Tracer posted:

You could use MTG cards or baseball cards or whatever for the same purpose, but it's just a neat concept and exercise.

I’m sensing an Elder Gargaroth in your future

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Robobot posted:

I don't know why anyone would want to own a bird as an indoor pet. I'm sure I've said this before, but I just don't get it. They smell absolutely terrible, it's cruel to keep something that can fly cooped up, and frankly they're just annoying loud creatures.

Sure they're pretty, but you can just go bird watching and let them live their lives without having them spray poo poo inside your home all day.

Hard agree. I love birds. I'm like, the bird guy in my circle. But I would never, ever, have one as a pet. That's a situation that's bad for the human and the bird.

Now, if I had money, having some kind of aviary for rescued and injured birds would be okay, provided they had lots of room and freedom. But that would be a separate structure and not my living space.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gaius Marius posted:

I use the age old "mosher-freaks" or "jocks" and I'm 38.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Relevant PHUO: Tarot is actually a really useful tool for storytelling and focusing your thoughts, not because of any supernatural fortune-telling ability, but because it presents you with universal stories and archetypes to react to. How could the concept of "Seeing things from a different perspective" or "Death is rebirth" or "There's a fine line between love and obsession" be relevant to whatever circumstance you're meditating on? You could use MTG cards or baseball cards or whatever for the same purpose, but it's just a neat concept and exercise.

This is in stark contrast to things like astrology, where the concepts are still arbitrary, but instead of being random each time, they are consistent and treated as innate or essential to you. Astrology is a lot like other essentialist social constructs like race and gender, but thankfully not as deeply entrenched.

Yeah, agreed about Tarot and I'd extend that to crystals and stones too - my partner bought a stone that is supposed has anxiety soothing properties, and although neither of us take that literally or believe the stone has magical or spiritual properties, but it can be something to focus on meditatively. It could be a Batman action figure and serve the same function, but this specific object is the one they've chosen as a meditative focus because it looks cool. I will get real loving mad at people who will claim woo can cure cancer or prey on the sick or grieving though.

I think Horoscopes are similar. I don't think we have ascribed traits given to us by the stars, but it can be useful to think about your self and direction sometimes and they can act as prompts to do that.

My, perhaps PHUO, is that there's a lot of misogyny in kneejerk reactions to this stuff. Women are usually more into it than guys and often on a level that isn't more complicated than they like this stuff aesthetically and like to check in with themselves emotionally , which is a good practice. Believing in literal magic strikes me as a bit silly, but the dudes that mock women for this stuff are the same ones who usually believe in stuff like cryptocurrencies and wolf-pack categories and Tool being a good band so they should probably relax.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Sep 30, 2021

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Solution: have a goose as a pet.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

"Disparaging ridiculous magic bean scams is misogyny actually" is kind of a wild take, ngl

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The United States is the third largest country in the world and if you don't want to hear from people who live there, maybe don't read english content, cuz we live here and care about ourselves and our loved ones even though we are horrible americans.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Manager Hoyden posted:

"Disparaging ridiculous magic bean scams is misogyny actually" is kind of a wild take, ngl

I think a major tenet of the modern Goon Ethos is to be The Opposite of their 2010 selves. In 2010, goons were largely hyper-rational libertarian atheists. So to be The Opposite of that, you’ve got to at least be respectful of New Age beliefs.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Manager Hoyden posted:

That is a wild take! Good job I didn't post it!

I think I said pretty clearly that I don't have the patience or any good will towards scams and exploitation, but outright "Tarot is dumb and stupid you magic believing idiot facts and reason rule!" often has a misogynistic undertone?

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Sep 30, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Disco Pope posted:

That is a wild take! Good job I didn't post it!

I think I said pretty clearly that I don't have the patience or any good will towards scams and exploitation, but outright "Tarot is dumb and stupid you magic believing idiot facts and reason rule!" often has a misogynistic undertone?

You just repeated exactly the same thing

"Tarot is dumb" is misogyny

It's like right there

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Manager Hoyden posted:

You just repeated exactly the same thing

"Tarot is dumb" is misogyny

It's like right there

Believing Tarot is dumb because you believe people who enjoy it are literal magic believers isn't just thinking Tarot is dumb though.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

:psyduck:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I saw a "meme" (read: Facebook post of a Twitter screenshot) about how thinking astrology is stupid is racist & misogynistic and as a Black woman, it bugged the poo poo out of me. Like, don't use me and people like me to convince people that astrology isn't stupid. Sheesh.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Hmm, a psychic type Pokemon, I see. Now who believes in "magic bean scams"?

Edit: Hey, I want to apologise for the dumb stuff I said in the last few posts. I've since learned that Psyduck is actually a water-type Pokemon.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Sep 30, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't know anything about Pokemon but I do know that Psyduck not being a psychic Pokemon is absolute hogknob nonsense

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't know anything about Pokemon but I do know that Psyduck not being a psychic Pokemon is absolute hogknob nonsense

I'm glad we can agree that this is some loving bullshit.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Manager Hoyden posted:

But think about it; because Psyduck's only a water type it's not weak to Bug/Dark/Ghost moves, only Grass/Electric. :goonsay:

It's like Gyrados being able to use Earthquake, Solar Beam, Rock Slide and Thunder to counter for it's water/flying weaknesses.

Grouchio has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Sep 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Bullshit that men believe in: gets baked into the economy

Bullshit that women believe in: ugh this is such bullshit im gonna go on tirades about it