Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Best Friends posted:

Acting like China is the evilest county on Earth after we spent two straight decades murdering random civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan at massive scale is driving me insane. Also us blowing up Libya for lols and doing everything but pull the trigger on Saudi arabia's crimes in Yemen. I have no idea how so many people think we're the good guys, at all.

Ah yes because that's exactly what I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

This is the most amazing thing I read today

https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen/status/1443303462054236160

https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen/status/1443319091779891203

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Best Friends posted:

Acting like China is the evilest county on Earth after we spent two straight decades murdering random civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan at massive scale is driving me insane. Also us blowing up Libya for lols and doing everything but pull the trigger on Saudi arabia's crimes in Yemen. I have no idea how so many people think we're the good guys, at all.

Don’t worry, China spent the past 20 years taking notes and they figured out the best way to get people to say “oh well, nevertheless” is to keep the rest of the world plied with cheap consumer goods. The difference between the US and China is that they’ve never made any pretense about being the good guys.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Best Friends posted:

I have no idea how so many people think we're the good guys, at all.
Asking because I don't know, but does anyone outside the US still think we're the good guys? I just looked at Pew's research (https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2021/06/10/americas-image-abroad-rebounds-with-transition-from-trump-to-biden/) on this and the entire thing is clouded by the bounce from trump leaving that it's hard to gauge. The most I'm getting is "Yeah, the US is OK, I guess."

Inside the US, we're all high on huffing our own goddamn farts.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah, there was a guy who came back after his 100,000 hour probation expired, either earlier this year or late last year. I can't remember the thread where he reappeared or what the outcome was but it was pretty funny.

Yeah, that was Lungfish. They seemed bemused by it all.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

but wait, there is more

https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen/status/1443322372082130944?s=20

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just 160?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Edit: Yeah, the rest were smart enough to use a private email.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 29, 2021

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

so far

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The context is a lot of people in my real life keep asking "should we boycott the Olympics" and that seems completely crazy to me. No one's boycotting anything happening in America, and a lot more blood is on our hands. There is massive pearl clutching generally right now about China, and mostly from the same people who wish we put Muslims in camps here and clapped like seals for every depravation we've inflicted abroad on Muslims.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I wonder how many more are going to be @localpolice.com

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

Just based on that pic I would consider that live ammo if you handed it to me. I don’t trust dimples.

I made my own dummy rounds with drilled holes that are visible from every single angle in the case. And then replaced the primer with pencil erasers.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Topical (for the last page)
https://twitter.com/CosplayCentral/...ingawful.com%2F

Edit: i am not explaining what any of those words mean

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Best Friends posted:

Weird way of saying "acting in support of a UN Security Council resolution which was passed after the Libyan opposition literally begged for foreign military intervention."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Stultus Maximus posted:

Weird way of saying "acting in support of a UN Security Council resolution which was passed after the Libyan opposition literally begged for foreign military intervention."

maybe we shouldn't be doing that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

So it’s china’s fault for not vetoing it?

It’s hard to understate how stupid and disastrous the Libyan intervention is.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ElMaligno posted:

Topical (for the last page)
https://twitter.com/CosplayCentral/...ingawful.com%2F

Edit: i am not explaining what any of those words mean

Oh great, how am I supposed to find out what a "firearm" is, smartass?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A reminder that "nation bad" isn't a zero sum game, both the US and China have done lovely things independent of each other. You can boycott the Olympics and say china bad, while also acknowledging the US has done some lovely things worthy of protest as well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Defenestrategy posted:

A reminder that "nation bad" isn't a zero sum game, both the US and China have done lovely things independent of each other. You can boycott the Olympics and say china bad, while also acknowledging the US has done some lovely things worthy of protest as well.

This sounds dangerously close to acknowledging nuances exist, which we all know is BAD.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defenestrategy posted:

Pretty much this.

But in this case the comment, was really because of the release that the tickets can only be sold to residents of the Mainland. It almost seems like they're trying to hedge against that.

Look I'll be the first to acknowledge that if you're into China HR issues, there is a lot of right wing poo poo to wade through, but there are also a lot of people who genuinely do care and are on board abroad and at home to support civil rights.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Honestly my first thought was that they didn't want to import a billion covid tourists

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Honestly my first thought was that they didn't want to import a billion covid tourists

I don't doubt that's a leading or majority reason, but I also think there is a little bit of hedging too.

That said wouldn't vaccine passports and entry requirements just solve that concern anyway?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
America isn't yet ready to hear the conversation that other countries might be re-thinking exactly how badly they need or want plague-infected American tourism.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
China still has a 3 week quarantine for anyone coming into the country.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

Holding other countries to far, far higher standards than our own isn't nuance, it's simply a double standard. I'll take anyone boycotting China seriously when they also boycott us.

Edit: or when they actually boycott Chinese products

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 30, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Best Friends posted:

Holding other countries to far, far higher standards than our own isn't nuance, it's simply a double standard. I'll take anyone boycotting China seriously when they also boycott us.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Best Friends posted:

The context is a lot of people in my real life keep asking "should we boycott the Olympics" and that seems completely crazy to me. No one's boycotting anything happening in America, and a lot more blood is on our hands. There is massive pearl clutching generally right now about China, and mostly from the same people who wish we put Muslims in camps here and clapped like seals for every depravation we've inflicted abroad on Muslims.

Honestly I don't get the obsession with China being our enemy since they make half our stuff and we haven't fought since Korea, and Russia is doing WAAAAY more on the world stage to gently caress with us if you're looking for an enemy. It's hilarious listening to all the right-wingers stanning about human rights in China while trying to restrict voting here, to the point where the USPS is permanently damaged.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sergg posted:

Honestly I don't get the obsession with China being our enemy since they make half our stuff and we haven't fought since Korea, and Russia is doing WAAAAY more on the world stage to gently caress with us if you're looking for an enemy. It's hilarious listening to all the right-wingers stanning about human rights in China while trying to restrict voting here, to the point where the USPS is permanently damaged.

I seem to recall people saying that the focus is kept on China because both sides know we won't do anything, where if we focus on russia poo poo is more likely to blow right the hell up and no one wants that

not sure if its true or not, but it does make sense to me

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I have no doubt Ben Shapiro will join Amnesty International and become a refugee activist for Chinese Uighurs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

RFC2324 posted:

I seem to recall people saying that the focus is kept on China because both sides know we won't do anything, where if we focus on russia poo poo is more likely to blow right the hell up and no one wants that

not sure if its true or not, but it does make sense to me

You say this, but we're also revitalizing our entire nuclear enterprise over the next 15-20 years, which seems to me to be a heavy focus on Russia. The conventional stuff, particularly expanding the Navy, is for China.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Sergg posted:

It’s because Russia is a weak state in the conventional sense. It’s relatively poor and unable to project its power beyond its borders in a meaningful way. Its most recent geopolitical success was making sure Bashar al-Assad’s government stopped hemorrhaging soldiers and territory all for the sake of maintaining the one warm water port it can call upon in the Mediterranean. China is a country that is actively attempting to project its power in a number of ways from Hong Kong to the South China Sea in ways that are overt and definitely noticeable to Japan, Korea and our other allies in the eastern Pacific. Its aspirations definitely should be considered and accounted for in US grand strategy, but that isn’t to say that we should be treating them as a de facto adversary. I’d instead hope that we treat them with the respect afforded to a rising global superpower while holding them to account for bad behavior as well, but I’m also a dumbfuck who would like to believe in things like a rules-based international order.

Frankly I’d be more worried about a regional war between India and China than I would a global one between the US and the latter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/ithayla/status/1443320852653621248?s=21
https://twitter.com/ithayla/status/1443324604051693570

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You love to see it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
As an Infosec proffessional let me be the first to say

Get hosed Epik, you losers

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I think that is the most thorough owning of a target I've ever seen. Holy poo poo balls. They didn't get the keys the to kingdom, they put the kingdom on flatbeds and hauled it away.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Frankly I’d be more worried about a regional war between India and China than I would a global one between the US and the latter.

As would I, considering the ~230-250 new silos the Chinese are constructing in NW China are best-positioned to strike at India, not the US, even though we're still not happy about them. Their tightly clustered construction suggests TWO things: 1) they were constructed with a first strike in mind, and 2) tight clustering like that suggests they're not terribly worried about the retaliatory force having extremely high-yield warheads or a sizable allotment for counterforce strikes against empty silos.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I'm just going to pretend I scrolled past this and assume Jeffrey has already identified and remediated any such possibilities for grandpa forums here.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

As would I, considering the ~230-250 new silos the Chinese are constructing in NW China are best-positioned to strike at India, not the US, even though we're still not happy about them. Their tightly clustered construction suggests TWO things: 1) they were constructed with a first strike in mind, and 2) tight clustering like that suggests they're not terribly worried about the retaliatory force having extremely high-yield warheads or a sizable allotment for counterforce strikes against empty silos.

What's your take on this silo expansion being just a shell game? I mean China already has enough nukes to cause existential problems to any adversary, so building empty silos to make potential opponents sweat and dump more money into the arms race, while spending less money yourself, seems a decent move.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yet somehow when Americans propose dense pack it’s purely defensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bird food bathtub posted:

I think that is the most thorough owning of a target I've ever seen. Holy poo poo balls. They didn't get the keys the to kingdom, they put the kingdom on flatbeds and hauled it away.

mycrimes.iso