Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

poll plane variant posted:

Unless we do something differently there is no reason we won't end up right back here in a month. These things come in waves, but they do come. It doesn't really just go away but people always want to act like "this time it's gone for good" which gets us complacent and right back here!

Seriously this cant be emphasized enough. The peak and drop off is a due to people being more cautious ie. masking up again and probably putting in more effort into NPI along with increased vacc uptake...which they did in response to this surge....which occurred because they stopped doing all those things before....

Anyone think we're not going to relax our daily standards again now that things are headed back downward?

EDIT: Cat Tax.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I can only hope that the sustained extreme strain on the healthcare system and vaccine mandates can cause the next waves to get smaller and smaller, but that's about as optimistic I'm getting for now.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

Thanks for sharing, good stuff to keep an eye one, but as always

This has been demonstrated in influenza as well: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4684089/

With influenza it seems they've detected influenza in the brain, but as of yet I still haven't seen anyone detecting COVID in the brain, it's mainly inflammation and blood clots (i.e. systemic inflammatory response and COVID leading to blood vessel issues).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HelloSailorSign posted:

This has been demonstrated in influenza as well: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4684089/

With influenza it seems they've detected influenza in the brain, but as of yet I still haven't seen anyone detecting COVID in the brain, it's mainly inflammation and blood clots (i.e. systemic inflammatory response and COVID leading to blood vessel issues).

Thanks for that info; always appreciate your solid posting.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Speaking of masks, the one article in kids regarding CO2 buildup or whatever bullshit that anti maskers love got retracted yay https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2782288

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

nexous posted:

Except getting covid doesn't exactly make you immune. Just like getting a vaccine doesn't make you immune.

https://mynbc15.com/news/local/some-unvaccinated-alabamians-contracting-covid-19-two-or-three-times

I mean, yes, there is no such thing as 100% immunity. That doesn't change anything substantial with regards to what I said. What matters is that reinfections tend to be milder. Whether people build their immunity via vaccines or by contacting Covid, sooner or later the virus's threat level will decrease.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I mean, yes, there is no such thing as 100% immunity. That doesn't change anything substantial with regards to what I said. What matters is that reinfections tend to be milder. Whether people build their immunity via vaccines or by contacting Covid, sooner or later the virus's threat level will decrease.

Speaking of which, has there been any discussion about boosting with Pfizer if you have Moderna or J&J? I don't expect anything prompt or cogent from the CDC, but are they doing it anywhere else like in Israel? Particularly with the recent discussions surrounding the possible cross protective properties of the BCG vacc?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

-Blackadder- posted:

Speaking of which, has there been any discussion about boosting with Pfizer if you have Moderna or J&J? I don't expect anything prompt or cogent from the CDC, but are they doing it anywhere else like in Israel? Particularly with the recent discussions surrounding the possible cross protective properties of the BCG vacc?

YMMV but my partner's doctor is concerned enough that they are talking to her about other booster options, it's not just a rich person thing unless your metric is a global rich person thing or relative to people in the US without the ability to see a primary care doctor, which is a sizable amount of people but still a relative minority (medical debt on the otoh).

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

-Blackadder- posted:

I mentioned earlier, but mixing mRNA doses, or a non-mRNA (AZ in our case, but it's similar to J&J) with a mRNA is common enough in Canada, and I haven't heard of any ill effects. People getting their third doses can mix (although in practice it'll only be really AZ -> mRNA mixing since we have ample supply of Moderna and Pfizer).

In the U.S. only Pfizer is approved for most people (I think when it's a third dose vs. booster for immunocompromised Moderna / J&J are possible), so being able to get it may depend on giving pharmacists incorrect information, and proving you had a booster in the future could be difficult due to that.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 29, 2021

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

Are the p100s the full-on Bane-style cover your whole head and face respirators?

If so I would have no idea why people wear them, I've literally never seen a single person in one this entire pandemic.

You rang? :v:

e: in all seriousness, this kind of anti-mask right-wing rhetoric is profoundly dangerous, literally kills people, and should be moderated as harshly as anti-vaxx rhetoric. You should be banned for a post like this. If the US had given every single person an elastomeric with some P100 cartridges a year and a half ago, it would've only cost $30 a person (at retail prices), and would've saved over a million lives (per the excess death studies).

Respirators aren't "scary bane masks." They're common pieces of PPE. It's the best type of mask for doing spray painting, or working with asbestos, or being a nurse for tuberculosis patients- is there a single good reason not to apply that same standard of care and protection to COVID? Other than the same tired right-wing Republican rhetoric, which has been portraying COVID infection as inevitable (but it's just the flu, bro) for almost 2 years now.

bane mask golem fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 29, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

I'm not sure mild reinfections really holds up unfortunately. They may not be as bad as in the immune-naive but once the antibodies stop circulating Delta especially can slam the system with a nasty infection before any of the slower immune mechanisms kick in. Plenty of time to do cumulative damage.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I'm not sure mild reinfections really holds up unfortunately. They may not be as bad as in the immune-naive but once the antibodies stop circulating Delta especially can slam the system with a nasty infection before any of the slower immune mechanisms kick in. Plenty of time to do cumulative damage.

There's plenty of evidence that vaccines maintain the ability to prevent ICU admissions and deaths even when they've waned though, so while a reinfection isn't a walk in the park, any data I've ever seen points to reinfections being milder. (Milder is a relative term of course, and it doesn't mean it won't suck to get infected again).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Anecdotes aren't data but one of my fully vaxxed family members had a really lovely (non-hospitalized luckily) covid case and that was enough to make me think twice about doing any loving around.

e: obviously not the same thing as reinfection but the effect it had on my ppe practices would be roughly the same.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bane mask golem posted:

You rang? :v:

e: in all seriousness, this kind of anti-mask right-wing rhetoric is profoundly dangerous, literally kills people, and should be moderated as harshly as anti-vaxx rhetoric. You should be banned for a post like this. If the US had given every single person an elastomeric with some P100 cartridges a year and a half ago, it would've only cost $30 a person (at retail prices), and would've saved over a million lives (per the excess death studies).

Respirators aren't "scary bane masks." They're common pieces of PPE. It's the best type of mask for doing spray painting, or working with asbestos, or being a nurse for tuberculosis patients- is there a single good reason not to apply that same standard of care and protection to COVID? Other than the same tired right-wing Republican rhetoric, which has been portraying COVID infection as inevitable (but it's just the flu, bro) for almost 2 years now.

I'm not going to ban someone who was corrected and acknowledged that they were wrong and moved on. You do you but the exchange that followed was polite and informative. :shrug: That's how this thread usually works.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah, Influenza is nasty, nasty stuff too and "the flu" part of "COVID is just the flu" annoys me almost as much as the "COVID is just" part. I still have a glimmer of hope that universal mrna flu vaccines + Moderna's combination booster and/or increased acceptance of workplace vaccine mandates might help reduce influenza burden going forward.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Stickman posted:

Yeah, Influenza is nasty, nasty stuff too and "the flu" part of "COVID is just the flu" annoys me almost as much as the "COVID is just" part. I still have a glimmer of hope that universal mrna flu vaccines + Moderna's combination booster and/or increased acceptance of workplace vaccine mandates might help reduce influenza burden going forward.

Yup. My partner and I got particularly nasty cases of flu type a in march of 2020 which was an excellent time for that to happen, let me tell you. I had gotten the vaccine that year and I think the estimate they gave me was that it was possibly 60% effective that year.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Have you seen any studies on severity of reinfections? I occasionally do a brief search but nothing has come up yet. I assume there would be some attenuation, but so far no one seems to be estimating it (nor it's durability). I'm also not sure if it's likely that protection would continue to increase with subsequent reinfection - if not then COVID could remain more severe than seasonal influenza until there are shifts in the virus itself.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

bane mask golem posted:

Even the excess death studies would only see the US maybe approaching a million dead now, so I'm not sure how that would save over a million lives in this idealised world where one third of Americans wouldn't refuse to wear it, those who do wear it all wear it properly, and where masking is a panacea in the first place.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Hi everyone, where are the links to the good KN-95/N-95 masks? They were like a buck a pop or something. I know I can’t trust Amazon because they apparently mix in good product with counterfeit.

Pet Tax: (kinda gross so spoiling)

Turn off your monitor - see that? you are all my pets.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00324574

You can also find N95s regularly at Home Depot, but MSC, despite being a wholesaler, hasn’t had a problem shipping to me.

I really like 3M 9205+ Auras the best when it comes to N95s, but they’re expensive if you’re not buying in bulk. MSC offered to sell me a box of 440 for $437, which I’ve considered; I imagine masking will be a thing for the foreseeable future.

Which, in that sense, I totally get the appeal of elastomerics. There are elastomeric respirators that don’t look as much like “bane-masks” I’ve seen out there like these but I can’t personally vouch for them.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

bane mask golem posted:

Respirators aren't "scary bane masks."

Scary Bane Masks are dope. I feel like if Trump hadn't set such an anti-mask tone so early on things could've easily gone a different way and every guy who drives a black lifted truck would be walking around dressed in full masked Operator cosplay right now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gio posted:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00324574

You can also find N95s regularly at Home Depot, but MSC, despite being a wholesaler, hasn’t had a problem shipping to me.

I really like 3M 9205+ Auras the best when it comes to N95s, but they’re expensive if you’re not buying in bulk. MSC offered to sell me a box of 440 for $437, which I’ve considered; I imagine masking will be a thing for the foreseeable future.

Which, in that sense, I totally get the appeal of elastomerics. There are elastomeric respirators that don’t look as much like “bane-masks” I’ve seen out there like these but I can’t personally vouch for them.

Yeah, in my case we are still isolating enough from in person poo poo that getting a couple boxes at our local hardware store is cost effective enough. if either of us had more consistent exposure I would definitely look into something more cost effective.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Tangentially—

I have seen one person rocking an elastomeric respirator this entire pandemic. I occasionally will see the very rare N95 with headstraps/backstraps.

The ‘best mask’ I typically see in the wild are KN95s with earloops, which are probably fine for grocery getting, but I wouldn’t trust anything less than an N95 at my job. (I’m a teacher.)

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, in my case we are still isolating enough from in person poo poo that getting a couple boxes at our local hardware store is cost effective enough. if either of us had more consistent exposure I would definitely look into something more cost effective.

Yeah it’s not necessary unless you’re working in-person all day. Even then it depends on occupation. If I worked in an office all day rather than in a plague pen full of children I would consider something more comfortable.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Somebody posted some sort of 3M full head advanced filtration system at like a supermarket over in the CSPAM thread.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Somebody posted some sort of 3M full head advanced filtration system at like a supermarket over in the CSPAM thread.

Those are PAPRs, and as someone who frequently posts in that thread, I don’t remember anyone doing that.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I mean, it's all personal risk assessment.

My doctor considers me at moderate risk because I was on a vent a year and a half ago with bad pneumonia so my lungs might be a bit vulnerable still.

If I was riding public transit to work hell loving yes I'd be wearing a half-mask or something.

As it is, there is a mask mandate in my area and my workplace has a mask + vaccine mandate. So everyone I'm coming into passing contact with at the grocery store or whatever is masked, and everyone I spend significant time with indoors (at work) is masked + vaxxed. So for me personally an N95 is plenty good.

Also consider that cost is a factor and even $30 a person (plus how often do you change cartridges?) is a significant amount of money for many many families in America.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I only use a surgical cloth mask. I'm vaccinated and don't really care much beyond that. If people want to use respirators, go nuts, but I'm not really worried.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Fritz the Horse posted:

Also consider that cost is a factor and even $30 a person (plus how often do you change cartridges?) is a significant amount of money for many many families in America.

The cartridges last for months in a normal environment.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

I mean, it's all personal risk assessment.

My doctor considers me at moderate risk because I was on a vent a year and a half ago with bad pneumonia so my lungs might be a bit vulnerable still.

If I was riding public transit to work hell loving yes I'd be wearing a half-mask or something.

As it is, there is a mask mandate in my area and my workplace has a mask + vaccine mandate. So everyone I'm coming into passing contact with at the grocery store or whatever is masked, and everyone I spend significant time with indoors (at work) is masked + vaxxed. So for me personally an N95 is plenty good.

Cartridges last for months in healthcare settings. It’s really far more cost effective in the long run unless you’re wearing cloth or surgical masks, in which case you’re relying more on other people around you being masked as well. I don’t wear an elastomeric respirator but it’s hard to argue against people that swear by them, aside from the fact that half masks make you look like a weirdo—which at this point, who cares?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

I only use a surgical cloth mask. I'm vaccinated and don't really care much beyond that. If people want to use respirators, go nuts, but I'm not really worried.
Look at this cool guy not afraid of the virus.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I usually wear a kf94 because it sits the farthest off my face so I don't get muppet mouth

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I wear a headstrap N95 anywhere I go, unless it's a super low risk outdoor environment where I'm going to be distanced (like picking my kids up from school), and then it's a KN95 with earstraps. I don't really get any looks from wearing them, and I definitely see enough of the KN95s around, although not a lot of headstrap N95s. I've seen a half-mask once (on a kid where the parents weren't in anything special, so likely immunocompromised). I'm pretty heavily immunocompromised though, so that definitely factors into it. I wore the KN95s before going on immunosuppressants, but not the headstrap ones until afterwards.

If anyone is in Canada I can recommend the FN95s sold by Dent-X, I find it's way easier to get a good seal on those than the KN95s I use - https://www.firstaidcanada.com/product/dent-x-canada-n95-mask-particulate-respirator-20-box/

vvv N95s work pretty well for me, because the highest risk place I'm routinely in is the hospital (at least once a week), and there's zero chance they'd let me through with something with an exhaust valve, it took enough arguing for them to let me wear their surgical mask over my N95 instead of replacing it.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 30, 2021

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

If you have a cat or cats, you should get an elastomeric respirator to clean the kitty shitters. Also has come in handy for a number of home projects. So what I’m saying is they’re cool and good for purposes other than covid.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I see a fair number of head strap masks, bc you can get them at the store I guess and they don't pinch your ears or go in your mouth.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gio posted:

Those are PAPRs, and as someone who frequently posts in that thread, I don’t remember anyone doing that.

No not someone in that thread, somebody spotted it out in public.

It was cool looked like a space helmet.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

No not someone in that thread, somebody spotted it out in public.

It was cool looked like a space helmet.

Oh! Okay yeah I vaguely remember now.

Still can’t believe that time Fauci came out in a PAPR with a “Only Trust Your Respirator” t-shirt.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gio posted:

If you have a cat or cats, you should get an elastomeric respirator to clean the kitty shitters.

This seems a little extreme. Why? I have cats and I know how bad it can smell, but its not *that* bad.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

How are u posted:

This seems a little extreme. Why? I have cats and I know how bad it can smell, but its not *that* bad.

My last cat didn’t have that stinky of a litter box.

The two cats I have now, however, have litters that smell horrendous.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gio posted:

My last cat didn’t have that stinky of a litter box.

The two cats I have now, however, have litters that smell horrendous.

I might at least dedicate one of my N95s to do that because I pretty much smell nothing but the mask when I wear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

How are u posted:

I've wondered how bad inhaling the clay dust from two litterboxes every day will be for my future health. Maybe wearing a mask would be a good idea.