Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Because I know Ewing does deep loving dives into continuity, it's my sincerest wish he actually wraps this poo poo up.

IIRC, DeMatteis later brought back the EWAG and tried to make sense of it, and it sucked. Some things just don't need to be explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Selachian posted:

IIRC, DeMatteis later brought back the EWAG and tried to make sense of it, and it sucked. Some things just don't need to be explained.

And Gerber brought the elf back himself, though I think just as a reference rather than an attempt to resolve it.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Random Stranger posted:

And Gerber brought the elf back himself, though I think just as a reference rather than an attempt to resolve it.

Didn't I see that Gerber killed the Elf off?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

ManiacClown posted:

Looks like it. :v:

Darthemed posted:

The Defenders #46 (1977)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
every attempt to explain or explore the Elf With a Gun - and there have been several - has sucked

just let the Elf With A Gun alone

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

Because I know Ewing does deep loving dives into continuity, it's my sincerest wish he actually wraps this poo poo up.

I honestly thought that's what he was doing in that Best Defense crossover book

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

ManiacClown posted:

No, that’s not Gerber’s work. His run ended with issue 41.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Elf with a Gun represents the senseless violence of the universe. There is no explanation on purpose, any attempt to explain it inherently destroys the concept.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Strange Cares posted:

Elf with a Gun represents the senseless violence of the universe. There is no explanation on purpose, any attempt to explain it inherently destroys the concept.

No no no MORAL OF THE STORY: The Elf with a Gun was an 'ELF', with a 'GUN'!

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No no no MORAL OF THE STORY: The Elf with a Gun was an 'ELF', with a 'GUN'!

gently caress, you're right, how did I gently caress that up so badly

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #16 (1940)

Doctor Doom #6 (2020)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I feel that its been mentioned, but who wrote the Doom/Kang thing?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
In an incredibly unfortunate name overlap, it's by Christopher Cantwell.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elissimpark posted:

I feel that its been mentioned, but who wrote the Doom/Kang thing?

Christopher Cantwell, currently writing Iron-Man which I've enjoyed.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Darthemed posted:

Doctor Doom #6 (2020)

Is this meant to be romantic? Because it's kind of romantic. It's like The African Queen, but with megalomaniacs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Is this meant to be romantic? Because it's kind of romantic. It's like The African Queen, but with megalomaniacs.

Yeah I was about to say that if you told me they were dating I wouldn't bat an eye.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Send My Regards To Kenshiro - Chapter 27

A very serious manga about job offers abductions

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sensation Comics #3 (1942)

You Are Deadpool #2 (2018)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Maybe only funny to me but I love how put out Cap is because Reed swooped in and saved the day

Avengers #303

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Kinda makes sense that Cap would be all about the chain of command.

Also, Reed's a dick.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

But to be fair, Reed isn't an Avenger and isn't in Cap's chain of command, and doesn't owe Cap a head's up or anything. Reed's the leader of his own team, and is technically Cap's peer, not his subordinate. :shrug:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Wasn't Reed on the Avengers around that time? Or maybe it was later?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

jng2058 posted:

But to be fair, Reed isn't an Avenger and isn't in Cap's chain of command, and doesn't owe Cap a head's up or anything. Reed's the leader of his own team, and is technically Cap's peer, not his subordinate. :shrug:

Actually at this point Reed and Sue are Avengers, they joined in #300 and lasted until... well, #303, because it turns out Reed doesn't do the chain-of-command thing.

And yes, they kept wearing their FF uniforms.

E who can forget this classic Avengers lineup

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Like, don't most of the Avengers historically not do chain of command?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Actually at this point Reed and Sue are Avengers, they joined in #300 and lasted until... well, #303, because it turns out Reed doesn't do the chain-of-command thing.

Cap just had a problem with Reed and Sue because they didn't have any winged or horned headwear like the rest of them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's funny that before I looked at that cover closer question who's the dude with the horns. And now that I see he's called Gilgamesh the Forgotten One, welp name checks out.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Why is he wearing the black costume on the cover but the classic blue on that interior panel? It made me think at first that was supposed to be the USAgent Cap, but I guess that cover is from when Rogers was just going by The Captain (not to be confused with Captain ****)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Why is he wearing the black costume on the cover but the classic blue on that interior panel? It made me think at first that was supposed to be the USAgent Cap, but I guess that cover is from when Rogers was just going by The Captain (not to be confused with Captain ****)

the cover is indeed from when he was just going by the Captain, which was still current as of #300 - but which, IIRC, ended in Cap's book like the same month, so he ends up going back to being Captain America in time for, like, #301 or #302

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dragonball - Chapter 146

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Reading that either direction is funny. Either Lord Piccolo is afraid of a rice cooker or he just wasted his dragonball wish on it by accident.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

gohan's going to be steamed when he finds out about this

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Don’t forget, that was coming off the amazing lineup of Dr Druid, Black Knight, Thor, and She-Hulk.

The Avengers were a mess after Stern left. I love Walt Simonson but he was handcuffed from the start and did the best he could. I’ll always have a soft spot for his Jarvis story in 298 tho :)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ghostlight posted:

gohan's going to be steamed when he finds out about this

Nice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

howe_sam posted:

It's funny that before I looked at that cover closer question who's the dude with the horns. And now that I see he's called Gilgamesh the Forgotten One, welp name checks out.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No idea of respective issues/manga.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Elsa panel is from Jessica Jones.... I wanna say Thompson's run?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

The Elsa panel is from Jessica Jones.... I wanna say Thompson's run?

Yeah, it's Thompson. It's not a Bendis panel and I'm pretty sure they're the only two to write a comic titled Jessica Jones.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

No idea of respective issues/manga.

This is from the Jason Aaron run, specifically Doctor Strange (2015) #2. It's a fun read and Bachalo does some great art throughout the run (though he isn't the only artist).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #19 (1942)

Web Warriors: Spiders Vs. (2016)