Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

This is the passage I remembered, Siuan speaking:

"And that fire-haired novice who was going to get herself with child...! Sheridan cut that short-the girl won't even think of men until she's finished her training-but we'd not have known it until it was too late, without you."

Then Min thinks to herself how she saw the girl sneaking off with a muscular guard, would get married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a very aes sedai thing for them to think they can somehow circumvent the wheel of fate by lumping more chores onto someone

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah Mins internal thoughts are like "there's a farm in her future, and a swarm of children, they'd be married by the end of summer...but there was no point in telling Siuan that"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i always enjoyed the detail of the seanchan being like the only people to actually understand and respect min's power instead of viewing it in a really dumb way like it's basically just a hearty suggestion and not Literally Seeing How Fate Will Weave Itself. once you realize all of their weird sayings about omens and superstitions are directly tied to what various other people like min have said in the past in relation to certain events it's a pretty neat moment.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

i always enjoyed the detail of the seanchan being like the only people to actually understand and respect min's power instead of viewing it in a really dumb way like it's basically just a hearty suggestion and not Literally Seeing How Fate Will Weave Itself. once you realize all of their weird sayings about omens and superstitions are directly tied to what various other people like min have said in the past in relation to certain events it's a pretty neat moment.

it is funny how many powerful people dismiss min when Tuon is immediately like "this is obviously the single most valuable advisor i could ever possibly have" lol

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

finding out you're one of the least likely people to get killed by the seanchan in the room, even beyond the guy who is now married to the up-and-coming empress, is probably quite the feeling

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I'm enjoying that podcast, she's funny. He's okay, commits to the voices fully which is, admirable if not always enjoyable

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I think Tuon still tries to jigger with the viewing outcomes.

Brolander posted:

I'm enjoying that podcast, she's funny. He's okay, commits to the voices fully which is, admirable if not always enjoyable

But he's one of the few people who commit to the southern accents for Seanchan which makes him KING.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 28, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Brolander posted:

He's the straight man and she's wacky but together they're a good mix, half intelligent deep cuts and half reaction video, so there's something for everyone.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

They posted a literal reaction video of when Ali first heard Rand and Aviendha's igloo adventure and it was wonderful

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's the straight man and she's wacky but together they're a good mix, half intelligent deep cuts and half reaction video, so there's something for everyone.

the dynamic works! i also enjoy the almost-married couple subthread through everything

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I think Tuon still tries to jigger with the viewing outcomes.

But he's one of the few people who commit to the southern accents for Seanchan which makes him KING.

yeah haven't gotten there yet and i look forward to it

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

CainsDescendant posted:

They posted a literal reaction video of when Ali first heard Rand and Aviendha's igloo adventure and it was wonderful

The most faithful way for the show to adapt that part, if it gets that far, would be a pan to a fire with a sax solo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Omnomnomnivore posted:

The most faithful way for the show to adapt that part, if it gets that far, would be a pan to a fire with a sax solo.

SEXY SAXOPHONE MAN

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
we regret to inform you the saxaphone has been changed to a trombone

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Brolander posted:

we regret to inform you the saxaphone has been changed to a trombone

ah, giving it the william riker treatment

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Johnny Joestar posted:

ah, giving it the william riker treatment

rand and aviendha in an igloo, soaking for warmth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHD7SeAm6MA

pod chat continued--one reaction i am looking forward to hearing is Crown of Swords "Blades" where the woman running from the horrific death fog sees Rand 'abalefirin and runs screaming even harder from him. That whole scene is gnarly is general

Brolander fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 28, 2021

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Brolander posted:

rand and aviendha in an igloo, soaking for warmth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHD7SeAm6MA

I have a new personal hero.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Hasn't Rand's academy kicked off by that point? It could literally cut to a train going into a tunnel

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

CainsDescendant posted:

Hasn't Rand's academy kicked off by that point? It could literally cut to a train going into a tunnel

I don't think Rand's got back to Cairhien yet at this point?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i love that elayne calls Teslyn a "summer ham". Also I'm sure Ali is going to end up calling her "Tesla"

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Brolander posted:

same, it owns

currently on the great hunt chapter 34-35 episode, i can't stop listening

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I enjoy hearing a new reader's perspective as they get into the series, but I'll come out and say that I find the whole "I'm going to intentionally misname all the characters with my personal pet nicknames because that's funny and random" thing to be a little dumb and it gets old.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I had the opposite take. It was really annoying for the first episode or two and then I got over it, they do it less as time goes on anyways. Also, Robert Jordan really deserves to be endlessly ridiculed for some of the names he chose.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

uPen posted:

I had the opposite take. It was really annoying for the first episode or two and then I got over it, they do it less as time goes on anyways. Also, Robert Jordan really deserves to be endlessly ridiculed for some of the names he chose.

like? Okay Uno because has one eye, but...

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Domani Damane
Elayne Egwene
Sheriam Sarene Seaine
Alanna Anaiya Alviarin Alliandre
Bain Bair
Meranna Merean

Like half the Aes Sedai have names that start with A or S and there's a million of em.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I've never understood that, because...people have similar names. People have the same name too sometimes!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

How are u posted:

I enjoy hearing a new reader's perspective as they get into the series, but I'll come out and say that I find the whole "I'm going to intentionally misname all the characters with my personal pet nicknames because that's funny and random" thing to be a little dumb and it gets old.

I intentionally misname characters all the drat time. It actually makes it easier for me to remember a huge cast of characters like this, and I find it hilarious (I'm sure my husband disagrees). So I was really glad to hear the people in this podcast do that too, because it meant I wasn't the only one lol.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

uPen posted:

Domani Damane
Elayne Egwene
Sheriam Sarene Seaine
Alanna Anaiya Alviarin Alliandre
Bain Bair
Meranna Merean

Like half the Aes Sedai have names that start with A or S and there's a million of em.

I don't know what to tell ya, I never had any problem with it. People pay attention in different degrees as they read, I guess.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

uPen posted:

I'm glad to hear that they do it less as time goes on, because it kind of turned me off to the podcast. I got to the end of the second episode.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I've always had trouble with names and it can get rough when you're cruising through a book and run into an Aes Sedai for the first time in a book or two. Is this the Aes Sedai whose name starts with AL who bonded Rand, or who's a darkfriend, or is she a sitter for the rebels? This is more of a problem for me in the audiobook, reading the names makes it easier for them to stick.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

silvergoose posted:

I've never understood that, because...people have similar names. People have the same name too sometimes!

It's fiction. You can just choose names that aren't easily confused without any downside.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I do appreciate they taught me the proper way to say Leane

Even if I think Robert Jordan was Wrong and Bad with his decision :colbert:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

mossyfisk posted:

It's fiction. You can just choose names that aren't easily confused without any downside.

Let me run all my names through a computer algorithm that makes sure each combination of syllables is suitably unique

That's an intelligent way to go about writing

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 30, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Reading through that chapter that follows the Aiel backward through time or whatever it was, I thought it was a "bit" that every character was named some variation on M-R-N.

(In a series that already had like ten M-R-N's)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Data Graham posted:

Reading through that chapter that follows the Aiel backward through time or whatever it was, I thought it was a bit that every character was named some variation on M-R-N.

(In a series that already had like ten M-R-N's)

When you put it like that, it seems clear that Moiraine is in fact Mierin, and she tackled herself through the door.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

How are u posted:

I'm glad to hear that they do it less as time goes on, because it kind of turned me off to the podcast. I got to the end of the second episode.

I mean, if you're not cool with wholesome ribbing of the series and dumb but fun running jokes then this may not be the series for you? And that's fine, but I'll think you're a bit of a silly curmudgeon. There's a lot of very serious WoT podcasts out there that I'm sure are very good, but I'm more in it for the silly names and the dick jokes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I have literally one hope for the Amazon series, assuming it is popular and gets to the Last Battle the horse that Noel shows up on after the horn is blown needs to be Bela. The fact that it isn't in the book is a shame that should be changed in future editions. If wolves can be heroes of the horn then why the gently caress not a horse?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

CainsDescendant posted:

I mean, if you're not cool with wholesome ribbing of the series and dumb but fun running jokes then this may not be the series for you? And that's fine, but I'll think you're a bit of a silly curmudgeon. There's a lot of very serious WoT podcasts out there that I'm sure are very good, but I'm more in it for the silly names and the dick jokes.

I thought it was pretty good excepting the dumb re-naming. That just got a little grating, considering how often, you know, you have to speak character names when speaking about the plot of a story.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

How are u posted:

I thought it was pretty good excepting the dumb re-naming. That just got a little grating, considering how often, you know, you have to speak character names when speaking about the plot of a story.

The main one that got on my nerves was Morgan/Moiraine

She's important enough and the fake name was so divergent from the original that it was distracting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Let me run all my names through a computer algorithm that makes sure each combination of syllables is suitably unique

That's an intelligent way to go about writing

Or you could just use your own brain to achieve this, like 99% of writing does?

It's fairly obvious RJ deliberately chose for a lot of names to be similar.