Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Okay so basically you *need* to be in an active guild/server for any fun, but there's a 2k server limit, and a 100 player guild limit.

Let me guess, you can also invite whoever you want to the pvp/wars/outpost rush but there's no way for single players to get added in unless you beg? We going full UO here? Cause I loved UO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I think anyone who's played in a goon guild should kind of expect drama. I join goon guilds because despite the drama they always eem to end up being a net positive because there's enough nice goons to help out and prop up the rest despite.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Also this game isn't anything revolutionary to say the least but I have a feeling there's potential for something pretty good. Get a refund if you want and try it again in 6mos :shrug:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LegoMan posted:

I think anyone who's played in a goon guild should kind of expect drama. I join goon guilds because despite the drama they always eem to end up being a net positive because there's enough nice goons to help out and prop up the rest despite.

This is the truth.

Kaddish posted:

Edit - the avatar change is great, by the way. This is the consequence for getting pissed about petty bullshit, which I suppose is fair.

Yeah at least you're taking it in stride. But video games and people on the internet are things no one should let control their emotions.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I messaged them directly and we're fine. I don't give a poo poo about red text, I do give a poo poo about being falsely accused of being a racist.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

LegoMan posted:

Also this game isn't anything revolutionary to say the least but I have a feeling there's potential for something pretty good. Get a refund if you want and try it again in 6mos :shrug:

I'm just trying to find out what the game is about after leveling. Everything I google is from this summer or last year.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I have a recurring nightmare, where I am running, running as fast as I can, but it is like I am running through quicksand and not getting anywhere. The running speed and animations in this game is my nightmare. It feels like they initially had a sprint speed planned and just kept that animation for the regular jogging speed.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fried Sushi posted:

I have a recurring nightmare, where I am running, running as fast as I can, but it is like I am running through quicksand and not getting anywhere. The running speed and animations in this game is my nightmare. It feels like they initially had a sprint speed planned and just kept that animation for the regular jogging speed.

That's exactly what happened. :lol:

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

BadLlama posted:

Massive Companies outbuying all smaller companies so they don't have a fair shot at buying a town from the creators of amazon, love it.

Is New World going to be the cautionary tale game that Monopoly was for the 20th century?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
our first red text, love to see it

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

Kaddish posted:

I’m sorry, what the gently caress are you talking about? What racist remarks?

Edit - the avatar change is great, by the way. This is the consequence for getting pissed about petty bullshit, which I suppose is fair.

Is this a record time for goon guild infighting?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

Is this a record time for goon guild infighting?

No way, I guarantee at least a couple of goon guilds have fully collapsed into infighting before the game they were made for even comes out.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

LegoMan posted:

goon guilds are pretty fine and chill as long as you wait for Tempus Thales to flame out / get kicked out and move on to his next Game Of The Week before joining it

just make sure he takes his GDN spybot with him when he goes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m choppin trees like it’s UO circa 1998.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm still asking before I buy, what is the point of investing into leveling a character to max if I'm not in the top guilds?

What's the point of the game I'm basically asking.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

Barreft posted:

be in a company, I think

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
people play games to have fun and chill with their friends OP

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Barreft posted:

I'm still asking before I buy, what is the point of investing into leveling a character to max if I'm not in the top guilds?

This is a deeply existential question honestly

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Barreft posted:

Territory wars to control taxation. This is a colony sim after all.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Barreft posted:

PvP, primarily. There isn't much of a PvE end game so far beyond the two (?) max level expeditions.

I'm hearing rumors that there's 6 more expeditions announced for a later date, but that later date keeps changing, so it might just be hearsay.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

So no one really knows the endgame of this MMO besides 100 max player companies taxes?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Barreft posted:

ratting around catchin flagged people when they don't expect it and whooping them good

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Alright, thanks for the answers. I think I'll pass.

Maybe they'll figure out an actual vision for the game at some point.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They do have an actual vision of the game!

It just changed at least twice.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I havent trusted the word "vision" since Everquest

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Do we have an Australian Server for goons to hang out in?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I'm pretty sure that anyone in the factions at war can take part. I don't think you need to be in the company to get involved.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I'm pretty sure that anyone in the factions at war can take part. I don't think you need to be in the company to get involved.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

No one's been able to answer that for me either.

If you need an invite to do the factions stuff then of course the guilds would just all invite their own or friends.
If there's open grouping and everyone gets the benefit from being there and helping than that's good.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The War is 50v50, and I believe the way it works is that the 'leaders' of the war (the person who declared it and the person who owns the city) get to choose 10 people and the other 40 are random from everyone who has signed up.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
the instanced pvp is faction vs faction and anyone can queue at a faction spokesperson, but for some reason the instanced pvp is level 60 required, which is a really good design decision

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Hellioning posted:

The War is 50v50, and I believe the way it works is that the 'leaders' of the war (the person who declared it and the person who owns the city) get to choose 10 people and the other 40 are random from everyone who has signed up.

I did a little quick googling. The article I read said that the attacking company is chosen by lottery. Each side can fill the 50 with as many people as they want/can, and any available slots can be taken not only by other members of your faction, but also members of the third uninvolved faction.

So plenty of opportunities to get involved even if you aren't in a big company.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Barreft posted:

Potentially to have fun, OP, gaze back past the years of minmax spreadsheets and relentless poopsocking and seek out the fading embers of this concept.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Woah this is a large thread so therefore the game must be great. Bezos willing, I hope to chop some trees with the friendly goons tonight.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cardboard Fox posted:

Woah this is a large thread so therefore the game must be great. Bezos willing, I hope to chop some trees with the friendly goons tonight.

lol I just looked and it's a 5 hour queue for the east coast goon server and a 3 hour queue for the west coast goon server

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

1,085, suppose it is better then the 10,000 numbers I've heard.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

NeurosisHead posted:

lol I just looked and it's a 5 hour queue for the east coast goon server and a 3 hour queue for the west coast goon server

When your max player per server count is 2k what do you expect

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 30, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm rolling in US East - TumTum . Queue tonight is 10.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

It seems like the game's design is based around the idea of not allowing players to choose their server or group up with people they already know to start with a pre-formed guild/company. The ideas all work a lot better if you think of each server as a 2,000 person Battle Royale game that allows for companies & alliances, but requires that they be formed organically through actual real-life diplomacy with strangers. I guess that's is kind of similar to DayZ or Rust, but with more formal world-persistence and control mechanics.

Trying to transition from those concepts into a generic MMO like World of Warcraft might be what lead to the game's lack of identity.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

is the combat good at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

where the red fern gropes posted:

is the combat good at least

I actually enjoy it quite a bit.