Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I can’t link them, but if people here are really champing at the bit to play eternal formats but don’t want to spend thousands of dollars there are all sorts of places you can get paper playable proxies that will pass any inspection done short of busting out a loupe and getting sweaty about it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

it seems like they've decided 1WW 2/2 w/ flying first strike is way too strong. so for 2WW you get those attributes w/ an added 0/+1.

IMO... they're not going to break RL anytime soon so it just seems pointless to talk about whether they should break it. my opinion is that even if it happens, they're not going to be flooding the market with reprints anyways.

no the point is that they can't print functionally identical cards to stuff that's on the reserve list. so thunder spirit being on rl means they can't make 1WW 2/2 flying first strikers again, period.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Serra Commando
2W
Creature - angel warrior

flying, first strike

2/2

fixed the problem mark plz give me commission money

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Lone Goat posted:

Despite Leperflesh getting hoodwinked into including it in the OP, Premodern is neither popular nor up and coming.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Silhouette posted:

Serra Commando
2W
Creature - angel warrior

flying, first strike

2/2

fixed the problem mark plz give me commission money

They basically did this already, multiple times, and the complaints are dumb because for limited it makes almost no difference that they can't reprint literal Thunder Spirit:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ultima66 posted:

They basically did this already, multiple times, and the complaints are dumb because for limited it makes almost no difference that they can't reprint literal Thunder Spirit:

My favourite part about anti-Reserved List chat is that, of all the reasons to revoke it, they rally behind a card that would end up being a C- at best in most draft formats.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

My favourite part about anti-Reserved List chat is that, of all the reasons to revoke it, they rally behind a card that would end up being a C- at best in most draft formats.

well it's more that they can't print strictly better versions than anything

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

I can’t link them, but if people here are really champing at the bit to play eternal formats but don’t want to spend thousands of dollars there are all sorts of places you can get paper playable proxies that will pass any inspection done short of busting out a loupe and getting sweaty about it.

And they have only improved in the years. A holostamp is no longer a barrier for entry.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

And they have only improved in the years. A holostamp is no longer a barrier for entry.

My buddy ordered a fake full art Jeska’a Will that legit is indistinguishable lol. He had to write proxy on the back just to avoid accidentally trading it/selling it in a few years.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I want to revoke it because I want to stick a Black Lotus up my rear end, how's that

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want to revoke it because I want to stick a Black Lotus up my rear end, how's that

Yeah that's a much more noble reason than "I want a lovely white card gumming up the booster packs"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fadam posted:

My buddy ordered some of those for Commander. They look great and side by side they were almost indistinguishable, but I could almost cut to them consistently in an unsleeved set of cards and I think that could be a problem from a gameplay PoV.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fadam posted:

My buddy ordered a fake full art Jeska’a Will that legit is indistinguishable lol. He had to write proxy on the back just to avoid accidentally trading it/selling it in a few years.

I have played with proxies for a better part of decade at every level but the pro tour and worlds. Deck checked countless times. Unless you are careless, you probably not going to get caught and even if you do? Plausible deniability.

Its a victimless crime.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Proxies? More like Praxis.

TheKingofSprings posted:

My buddy ordered some of those for Commander. They look great and side by side they were almost indistinguishable, but I could almost cut to them consistently in an unsleeved set of cards and I think that could be a problem from a gameplay PoV.

I have not played with unsleeved cards in probably two decades, and I can't imagine playing a format that needs proxies without sleeving my cards up anyway.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 29, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A "proxy" that is intended to be indistinguishable from a real card, is not a proxy, it's a counterfeit card. The proliferation of counterfeits is why we're not allowed to link to proxy sites, even ones that are nominally not about making proxies that look like the originals. So that's kind of a pain.

ahh, ya incorrigible scamp, I can't be mad

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

A "proxy" that is intended to be indistinguishable from a real card, is not a proxy, it's a counterfeit card. The proliferation of counterfeits is why we're not allowed to link to proxy sites, even ones that are nominally not about making proxies that look like the originals. So that's kind of a pain.

ahh, ya incorrigible scamp, I can't be mad

Sure, if that’s the distinction you want to use that’s fine with me. I don’t think anyone here is going to link to the sites where you can buy them, but I do strongly encourage anyone who wants to play with old, fun cards in a paper setting with cards that don’t look like poo poo to look into them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

fadam posted:

Sure, if that’s the distinction you want to use that’s fine with me. I don’t think anyone here is going to link to the sites where you can buy them, but I do strongly encourage anyone who wants to play with old, fun cards in a paper setting with cards that don’t look like poo poo to look into them.
for reasons completely unrelated to the conversation at hand, can you enable personal messages

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

for reasons completely unrelated to the conversation at hand, can you enable personal messages

I don’t wanna jerk Leperflesh around so no lol, but if you really wanted to contact me I’m certain I’ve posted my MTGA information in some thread recently.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The problem with counterfeits as proxies is they then get traded and can gently caress up someone else's day. If your card is in a sleeve the judge deck checking you isn't going to pull it out to look at the back but someone trading sure is.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ilmucche posted:

The problem with counterfeits as proxies is they then get traded and can gently caress up someone else's day. If your card is in a sleeve the judge deck checking you isn't going to pull it out to look at the back but someone trading sure is.

That is more of an issue of someone actively scamming and stealing from people, less though about someone wanting to play wizards poker for a reasonable price.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
what if they were so indistinguishable you couldn't tell them apart ever even by ripping them open what would the morality be then

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Could god make a proxy so realistic even he couldn’t tell the difference.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

kalvanoo posted:

what if they were so indistinguishable you couldn't tell them apart ever even by ripping them open what would the morality be then

Who remembers that old post where someone got their misty rainforest ripped in half by someone claiming they knew what they were doing?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kalvanoo posted:

The morality is tied up with how people feel about intellectual property rights, corporations, the secondary market for cardboard, etc. and I'd invite anyone who really wants to dive deep into that, to go have the screaming fight in C-SPAM or something, rather than here, because I am 100% certain based on a year of moderating TG that we will not reach a happy consensus on that subject.

The legality, however, is quite clear.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

Who remembers that old post where someone got their misty rainforest ripped in half by someone claiming they knew what they were doing?

Ah, the infamous bend test.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sickening posted:

Lol, fantastic. Even the suspected fakes I got I sent back to mkm for a refund. They never told me if they were really fakes :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I want to hear about the card ripping. That sounds like a good story.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The morality is tied up with how people feel about intellectual property rights, corporations, the secondary market for cardboard, etc. and I'd invite anyone who really wants to dive deep into that, to go have the screaming fight in C-SPAM or something, rather than here, because I am 100% certain based on a year of moderating TG that we will not reach a happy consensus on that subject.

The legality, however, is quite clear.

Nah i want to hear people be a crybaby bitch and whine about how a multibillion dollar company needs to protect its copyright. That poo poo makes me hard

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Leperflesh posted:

"Proxy" talk: WotC actually defines all this stuff in a way that the general playing base didn't take to, but it does help clarify things.

A proxy is something handed out by a judge in an official event to replace a card that has become damaged during the course of play. Think of water being spilled or a card getting bent. Or in a specific historical example, a card only being printed in foil and every single copy bends too much to not count as a marked card (Kess in a legacy tournament, I believe). According to WotC, proxies are only ever issued out by judges in official events, so by their nature they are accepted by WotC.

A playtest card is something that stands in for a card during a game but isn't supposed to pass itself off as a real card in any shape or form. A basic land with "BLACK LOTUS" scrawled across it in sharpie or a home printer print out sleeved in front of some random card in a deck would be a playtest card. These are okay with WotC. An exact quote from the linked article (which they put in bold themselves) is: "Wizards of the Coast has no desire to police playtest cards made for personal, non-commercial use, even if that usage takes place in a store."

A counterfeit is a fake card that is trying to be passed off as a real card. These are not kosher with WotC.

The internet at large has basically applied the term "proxy" to all of these examples which makes discussion clear as mud.

It also means stuff like my Negan stand-in is a playtest card and the WotC police aren't going to come and get me as long as I'm not playing in a sanctioned event (lol sanctioned EDH)

Sickening posted:

I picked up a jeweler's loupe on a whim and took a look at some of my cards. Turns out I have a counterfeit misty rainforest that I unknowingly picked up in the past. If I knew it was fake when I got it, that'd be one thing but it definitely was sold as being a legit card which is annoying.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

I remember it, but have no clue who it happened to.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Nah i want to hear people be a crybaby bitch and whine about how a multibillion dollar company needs to protect its copyright. That poo poo makes me hard

Aranan posted:

"Proxy" talk

This is good, I didn't know they had a term for the second thing - "playtest card" is I think the typical thing goons want to talk about and link to, and if it wasn't some kind of site exploration homework assignment for a mod every time someone linked to a new one, we'd probably allow it. But it would have to be in order to diligently protect Jeffrey from legal hazard, so, welp.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ultima66 posted:

Dies to Tim.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Aranan posted:

Or in a specific historical example, a card only being printed in foil and every single copy bends too much to not count as a marked card (Kess in a legacy tournament, I believe).

The nexus of fate buy a box promo did this too didn't it?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Anecdotal but every Nexus I’ve seen hasn’t had curling issues.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

Yes there were lots of standard tourneys I recall with proxied nexus.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So quick poll, who is feeling brave safe enough to go to the Vegas gp in November?

I'd really like to go, but I am doubtful I will. Then again, I will have attended plenty of Kraken games by then...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So quick poll, who is feeling brave safe enough to go to the Vegas gp in November?

I'd really like to go, but I am doubtful I will. Then again, I will have attended plenty of Kraken games by then...

I'm going to try and stomarch FNM at a place with a mask mandate and move from there.

My local place told me "we're leaving it up to our players" why holding 30+ person events in their tiny space.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kalvanoo posted:

what if reality isn't real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aranan posted:

The internet at large has basically applied the term "proxy" to all of these examples which makes discussion clear as mud.

That's because "the Internet" doesn't like to take responsibility for their actions.

Making counterfeit cards (cards designed to be easily mistaken for real cards by laymen) is a lovely thing to do.

You got beef with WotC? Cool. Don't play in their tournaments. Hell, don't buy their cards. Nobody's got a gun to your head.

But when you buy or create counterfeit cards, which we've seen time and again work themselves into the ecosystem and be pawned off.on unsuspecting customers, you're just being a shithead. You aren't Robin Hood, sticking it to the man. You don't have some moral high ground. You're just doing harm to all the other people involved: the artists, the printers, the game stores, and fellow players.