Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sickening posted:

I think the market is taking a turn. I am starting to get job req's sent to me on linkedin for unicorns again, which is usually a sign that its a buyers market starting to turn.

Getting the itch to pick up another job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Inner Light posted:

Getting the itch to pick up another job?

My linkin just get messages and it benefits me to read them from time to time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Did they ever stop advertising for unicorns? I've still been seeing stupid JDs, just less of them.

I'm hoping one of these works out, I'm getting tired of this job and making another 30-50k would be life-changing.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://www.brendangregg.com/blog/2021-09-26/the-speed-of-time.html

This is where I want to be.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

I think the market is taking a turn. I am starting to get job req's sent to me on linkedin for unicorns again, which is usually a sign that its a buyers market starting to turn.

Actually I think I mentioned it in here but I had an interview for what was supposed to be an entry-level automation role for $36/hr in Denver where it turned out they really wanted a full-on DevOps engineer but didn't want to pay for one so they figured they would require all the skills while still keeping the low-paying name.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Actually I think I mentioned it in here but I had an interview for what was supposed to be an entry-level automation role for $36/hr in Denver where it turned out they really wanted a full-on DevOps engineer but didn't want to pay for one so they figured they would require all the skills while still keeping the low-paying name.

I’m confused. So they over advertise pay for an entry level job so they could find a devops engineers for $36 an hour? How did they think they’d get devops people to apply?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wasn’t me

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

jaegerx posted:

I’m confused. So they over advertise pay for an entry level job so they could find a devops engineers for $36 an hour? How did they think they’d get devops people to apply?

I figure they think they'd nab someone who had the qualifications to do devops work without knowing they where basically devops engineers. I mean I got my foot in the door with cybersec by basically doing cybersec without the title or pay.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That is currently the plan at the place where I'm working. They want someone who really knows Azure, but are currently offering far below market. I think they know its never going anywhere, as the managers involved have stopped talking about it.
I think we are hoping to hold onto people from an upcoming acquisition, but I doubt they'll get much. Anyone there isn't far from a large metro area and will be able to bounce for a job with better pay.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sickening posted:

My linkin just get messages and it benefits me to read them from time to time.

I just got a second email for an Analyst position in my industry, now with a $5k referral fee. Anybody in the Bay Area have biopharm experience ?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Our long term plan to make a gentle transition from BigFix to SCCM got upended with HCL's acquisition (buy american!), so we're disabling all operator accounts and all open actions tomorrow night at midnight when our support contract expires. We've got endpoint management up and running for patching and servicing updates, but the reporting and monitoring features aren't nearly where they need to be compared to how mature our BigFix environment was. It'll get there.

Our bigger issue is that we have a lot of custom actions in BigFix that haven't been migrated to SCCM. We've been trying to get a full-featured trial of AdminStudio since the functionality we want to test before dropping that kind of cash (wrapping multiple .EXEs and action scripts into a single MSI*) isn't available in the regular trial copy, but we've gotten no movement on that. So our deskside teams are in for a rude awakening on Friday when they have to start manually installing a couple hundred different software packages that we haven't been able to migrate over to SCCM yet.

If the government doesn't shut down of course. lol.

In my role I thankfully don't have to deal directly with any of this poo poo, other than tertiary bitching from that section of the admin community and it upending some of my identity management workflows that rely on reporting out of BigFix.

*Example. We have an R package that we deploy to a large segment of the userbase. It installs R 32 and 64 bit, RTools, and RStudio (4 different exes), and has a action script using icacls to give Authenticated Users RMW to the install directories so they can self-install packages and make modifications to their development environments without having to deal with their user profile, which is redirected to OneDrive. Getting all that packaged for SCCM deployment is (apparently) a bitch? We have a shitton of stuff like this due to our "if it's installed to more than 25 machines, we package it in BigFix rather than do individual installs" policy. We have 30,000 users, there's a lot of poo poo that's installed to more than 25 machines.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Ah sonicwall, there’s you’re problem.

We also have a 5600 HA pair that was out in by a previous manager and an MSP against my advice.

What has their support said? As awful as they are, their support has usually been pretty quickly responsive to serious issues. We had issues not unlike this in the past that were resolved by newer firmware releases.

They told me to, and this is a direct quote, 'Search google for an article called Sonicwall CPU spiking to 100% and try that'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"What will we like least about working with you after 6 months?"

I'm not sure if this is my company's attempt to be edgy or something? It's the 3rd to last interview question on this sheet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

How better I am than everyone else.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

I'm not sure if this is my company's attempt to be edgy or something? It's the 3rd to last interview question on this sheet.

My superior intelligence.

Last interview I had, about 7 people on the meeting, I was asked "what is a misconception that people have about you". Had to pause and think about that for a moment.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anyone using Rubrik for backups? If so, how do you like it?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bob Morales posted:

I've heard this one being followed up with "and what would your partner answer if we asked them this question about you".

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

I've heard this one being followed up with "and what would your partner answer if we asked them this question about you".

absolutely gently caress that question

I would be pissed if someone asked me that in an interview.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

that seems deeply inappropriate to ask imo

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

LochNessMonster posted:

"Huh, probably 'who the gently caress are you? how did you get this number?'"

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

I feel like it's the point I'd decide I am not going to work for that company and I'd probably just ask the same question(s) straight back at the interviewer when they do the "anything for us" bit at the end

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LochNessMonster posted:

"Well, I hope it would be nothing seeing as she's dead. Oh, and well done bringing that up."

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I was caught completely off guard by it and didn’t realize how inapropriate it was at the time.

Another time they asked what my coworkers would say. So apparently it’s not that uncommon among here.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think it needs to be worded very carefully, but I sorta get what they're trying to do with a question like "What do you think your coworkers would describe your positive work-related characteristics as?" "How about the negatives?"

I don't know if I'd recommend it for an interview, but it's the sort of thing that, aided with realistic expectations for how different people might answer these questions, could potentially be useful.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The asking coworkers thing is fine, but I interpreted "partner" as in significant other. Really getting into dangerous HR territory there, regardless of its general shittiness.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 29, 2021

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

if anyone ever brings up my wife like that in an interview i am going to call her so she can tell them to gently caress off herself

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The asking coworkers thing is fine, but I interpreted "partner" as in significant other. Really getting into dangerous HR territory there, regardless of its general shittiness.

Absolutely, and I want to clarify, I'm not suggesting that an interviewer actually ask other people things. It's more of a emotional maturity kind of question.

As a fully anecdotal example, I know someone who asked a question along those lines, and the interviewee went from being generally pleasant to talking utter trash about their coworkers, that they're a bunch of idiots who don't appreciate genius and that they'd probably just lie to make him look bad.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

You’re right. They asked what my SO would tell them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

After getting turned down for a job once early in my career because I didn't realize what qualified as speaking negatively about a company, I have learned how to be diplomatic about any problems my coworkers or former companies have had. If I have to say anything less than positive I find some way to make it sound understandable and unavoidable given the circumstances and mention how people tried to ameliorate the situation as much as possible.

For example I don't like how much I'm limited by procedures at my current job because it feels like I'm not empowered to do things that I know I can, but if I'm interviewing at a startup that asks me about my attitude towards taking initiative vs following established procedure I can say how I feel while also saying how established processes can be a very good thing to prevent issues from coming up and contribute to higher customer satisfaction when customers caring more about reliability and consistency than speed, but that I would prefer an environment that allows for a bit more flexibility.

I definitely wouldn't mention how you absolutely have to stick to the letter of all of the processes at this company because whenever anything goes wrong the first thing managers do is look for someone who didn't follow process and blame it on them regardless of how much that actually impacted the situation.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 29, 2021

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Crossposting with the macos thread, anyone have suggestions on the cheapest piece of hardware I can get to run Apple Configurator 2 in order to add retail ipads to my Apple Business Manager?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, apparently my manager submitted the transfer out form and the manager for the position I'm supposed to be promoted to submitted the transfer in form today. The new manager requested HR do some research into the appropriate salary, but I expect them to cherry-pick low ones. Would it make sense to take a bunch of screenshots of job ads for this state for the same job title with their pay range (CO requires employers post that now) to say "Hey, market's crazy right now" to try to get them to budge a little bit and then I still probably bounce in a year because it's still a MSP and I'll still be underpaid but at least then I have Cloud Engineer on my resume already?

When I was converting from contractor to FTE I brought in numbers from DICE and Salary.com and stuff and they said "Well we did research too and here are some sources that back up our pay range" and showed some sites I literally never heard of in my life. I'm still not optimistic I'll get anything above average by doing this but I'm hoping that sending them like 20 job postings open right now in the same state for the same job title with employer-published ranges will be a little better as far as getting me to average.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

HR director lost her phone this weekend so I had to go to the Verizon store and get her a new one. I found it really odd. Then yesterday she came in to get it, and Verizon screws up the DEP enrollment so she didn't get it.

She signed out of her computer at 5:02 on Tuesday. Nobody had heard from her all day today. People were asking me if her new phone was working etc etc

A couple hours ago I found out on social media that they are looking for her husband because he killed her. Tomorrow should be interesting. Verizon just emailed me that the phone is enrolled in DEP.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I want to say bls.gov tracks average job title pay, that may be a place to look too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bob Morales posted:

HR director lost her phone this weekend so I had to go to the Verizon store and get her a new one. I found it really odd. Then yesterday she came in to get it, and Verizon screws up the DEP enrollment so she didn't get it.

She signed out of her computer at 5:02 on Tuesday. Nobody had heard from her all day today. People were asking me if her new phone was working etc etc

A couple hours ago I found out on social media that they are looking for her husband because he killed her. Tomorrow should be interesting. Verizon just emailed me that the phone is enrolled in DEP.

Jesus Christ.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bob Morales posted:

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

yeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiikes

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Holy poo poo. I am so sorry, jesus

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

drat Bob that’s some poo poo. Sorry man.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nice lady. Just married this guy like a year or two ago. He was a little younger than her, he creeped me the gently caress out whenever I saw him in the parking lot at work.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
That is terrible. I have yet to lock out any accounts because of murder and it is not something I hope to ever have to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

That story took a hard right turn at the end.