Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

A Jupiter posted:

hey wanna see something cursed

What's wrong here? I thought Sun Yat Sen was supposed to be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This is how the US is planning to slow down the Chinese innovation:
The U.S. government told semiconductor manufacturers, including Samsung Electronics, SK Hynix, TSMC and Intel, to submit their confidential information

It's totally illegal the way US government is trying to look into the books of foreign companies but both SK and Taiwan are lapdogs of the US so I predict they won't put up a fight.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Kazzah posted:

they don't have machine-mind interfaces, evacuated single-car tunnels, self-driving cars, fully-functional human-shaped robots, child-rescue submarines, or a mars base. chinese society cannot produce a musk.

How dare you skipped

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean I can tell the US right now that it's largely Apple's fault, considering they buy something insane like 55% of TSMC's output yearly for their phones, and they only have so many fabs, and the amount of fabs just in general for the world that can handle 2-12nm at all are extremely limited.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

A Jupiter posted:

hey wanna see something cursed

ah yes the alternate reality where the tienanmen square massacre is a continuing and ongoing project and china's population is around 400 million

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/LavenderNRed/status/1442967188382445575

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTEHh_t1XBs

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/SarahADowney/status/1443031999485300738

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I should give a gently caress to some crappy actress evading taxes, because

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
That's the west responding to any consequences on rich and powerful people. They can't imagine it because it never happens there anymore.

Imagine unprrsoning some poor schmuck who gets sentenced to 10 years for stealing a 100$. They were never even considered a person in the west, only the rich and powerful have that privilege.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

so in other news iran and azerbaijan are extremely angry at one another. iran is unhappy over a couple things, for one azerbaijan invited turkey (and possibly israeli observers) for naval exercises in the caspian sea, which is bad because a treaty signed by the caspian littoral states forbids foreign military forces from the caspian. in addition to probably violating that treaty, which it is not good to do in principle, iran is understandably unhappy about the specific presence of hostile turkey, and possibly of israel. also azerbaijan has been using its ascendancy over armenia to gobble up teeny little bites of territory, finally taking part of a road that connects armenia to iran. and iran is a big trade partner for armenia. lately azerbaijan has arrested iranian truckers allegedly headed for stepanakert, the capital of nagorno-karabakh, and has been kind of cagey about their status, which iran is also mad about.

so anyway we have reached the stage of iran conducting impromptu military exercises near the border with azerbaijan, so that's a lot of fun. let's hope everyone stays calm here!

anyway for some funny context from late last year: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/12/13/why-did-erdogans-poem-infuriate-iranians

quote:

A few words of a poem recited by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Azerbaijan has created a political firestorm with Iran

[...]

The poem recited by Erdogan laments how the Aras River has separated Azeri-speaking people in Azerbaijan and Iran and is a symbol of the pan-Turkism doctrine that seeks the unification of all Turks, including those living in Iran.

“They separated the Aras River and filled it with rocks and rods. I will not be separated from you. They have separated us forcibly,” said the poem.

lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

comedyblissoption posted:

dick wolff has commented in one of his global capitalism talks that the western academic and news commentary on the topic of chinese innovation and technology can only be explained as extraordinary racism

got a link to that talk?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Mirello posted:

That's the west responding to any consequences on rich and powerful people. They can't imagine it because it never happens there anymore.

Imagine unprrsoning some poor schmuck who gets sentenced to 10 years for stealing a 100$. They were never even considered a person in the west, only the rich and powerful have that privilege.

I think they're responding to the fact that Fan Bingbing was forced to vanish for 4 months, not that an actor got prosecuted for tax evasion- which also happens in the west albeit in public courtrooms instead of blacksites.

Like, even the low-level criminal in your hypothetical is still free to talk to the press while serving a 10-year sentence. But it might be newsworthy if they were forced to praise the US government, probably.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
what exactly does it mean for an actor to disappear for four months

dont most actors disappear for four months just when theyre in between gigs and not doing promotional work

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

hot witch divorcee posted:

oh right they're loving morons, so what they mean is "do the thing that is forcing china to increase innovation more, maybe it will work this time"

maybe they're working on the assumption that the chinese can't invent anything really "new" and are only capable of improving on existing western breakthroughs
so cutting them off from these western inventions should limit their innovation which they see as some kind of hive mind bug people "no inventive spark, just soulless improvement" thing
of course i hope they get btfo by xi

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

is NK really this good with weapons/rocket tech, even under crippling sanctions?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
thinking about all those actors no one has seen in years that are now telling us to get covid vaccines just like the government wants pretty suspicious when u think about it

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Doctor Jeep posted:

is NK really this good with weapons/rocket tech, even under crippling sanctions?

their claims are fake but my havana sickness is real

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Some Guy TT posted:

what exactly does it mean for an actor to disappear for four months

dont most actors disappear for four months just when theyre in between gigs and not doing promotional work

As in, never head from, never seen in public, not even by paparazzi. Her manager also vanished, along with other close associates. And the government wouldn't say if there was an investigation, or if she was detained. There was even more confusion when a Chinese state paper mentioned she was in prison, but the story was pulled after just a few hours:

https://people.com/movies/chinese-actress-fan-bingbing-missing-tax-evasion/
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3524674

But sure, yes, western celebrities never get charged with tax evasion, so it's unfathomable to see:

https://www.yahoo.com/now/17-celebrities-convicted-tax-evasion-090200589.html

je1 healthcare has issued a correction as of 04:26 on Sep 30, 2021

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

je1 healthcare posted:

As in, never head from, never seen in public, not even by paparazzi. Her manager also vanished, along with other close associates. And the government wouldn't say if there was an investigation, or if she was detained. There was even more confusion when a Chinese state paper mentioned she was in prison, but the story was pulled after just a few hours:

But sure, yes, western celebrities never get charged with tax evasion, so it's unfathomable to see:

https://www.yahoo.com/now/17-celebrities-convicted-tax-evasion-090200589.html

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
About Fan Bingbing? No. That's the ironic thing, a straightforward case of celebrity tax-dodging got enveloped by China's opaque legal handling, which drew way more attention than it would have otherwise gotten. Since westerners don't remember who Fan Bingbing is. The end result was making China's legal system the main focus of the headlines rather than Fan's salary.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

https://twitter.com/SarahADowney/status/1443032011518709760?s=19

wow this person seems like a oval office

also doesn't memory holing imply oblivion, she's gone, she's burned up in a big furnace and she's not coming back and no one ever acknowledges she existed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if someone remembers your hole, that’s probably a good thing, imho.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

XMNN posted:

wow this person seems like a oval office

Sarah ... Downey ...

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

Jason Killmeyer, a counterterrorism and foreign policy expert formerly with Deloitte Consulting LLP, said the U.S. should act now and not wait for attribution. He called for increasing defensive measures, making Havana Syndrome a bigger issue in its diplomacy and upping the pressure on adversary intelligence services to see how they react.

“We’re five years into this thing,” he said. “There’s no ‘smoking gun’ coming.”

lol

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

so in other news iran and azerbaijan are extremely angry at one another

I know jack poo poo about the situation there currently, but the impression I have from my position of tremendous ignorance is that the azerbaijani govt is being a complete turbo rear end in a top hat and is going to end up getting seriously loving slapped by a iran/russia/china combo. correct?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Stringent posted:

got a link to that talk?

it's going to be in his "global capitalism: live economic update" series which is where he puts out a ~2 hr talk every two months (he lectures fairly slowly on podcasts so you can play it at 1.5x speed pretty easily). it's on all the podcast platforms.

Doctor Jeep posted:

maybe they're working on the assumption that the chinese can't invent anything really "new" and are only capable of improving on existing western breakthroughs
so cutting them off from these western inventions should limit their innovation which they see as some kind of hive mind bug people "no inventive spark, just soulless improvement" thing
of course i hope they get btfo by xi

western businessmen think that chinese businesses can't develop new technology without copying it from the west. right now they feel 100% reassured in this by the mrna vaccines being purely american and german in origin and the chinese covid vaccines being reported as sucking rear end in comparison. the plan is to get more aggressive in IP and patent enforcement to extract technology rents from china.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

dead gay comedy forums posted:

the azerbaijani govt is being a complete turbo rear end in a top hat

this is something of a recurring pattern lately, yes

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shear Modulus posted:

it's going to be in his "global capitalism: live economic update" series which is where he puts out a ~2 hr talk every two months (he lectures fairly slowly on podcasts so you can play it at 1.5x speed pretty easily). it's on all the podcast platforms.

:tipshat:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

dead gay comedy forums posted:

and is going to end up getting seriously loving slapped by a iran/russia/china combo. correct?

While relations have once again turned sour between Iran and Azerbaijan. I don't see any downturn in relations with Russia or China.

The situation with regard to the road and Azerbaijan imposing fees on Iranian drivers will be resolved once Armenia finishes the new road section it currently has under construction.

The potential presence of Israeli military or intelligence units will be longer term worry for Iran.

Also here's something:
US asks China to cut oil imports to pressure Tehran

Chinese officials response is unknown. I assume it was a "lol no" in a politer way.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
timestamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOtVMFPjNUA&t=238s

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
It is incredible to have this guy who became a billionaire by knowing the right people going on tv to play the innocent. Like yeah whatever ccp being vindictive af or whatever but why choose this guy lmfao

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 06:25 on Sep 30, 2021

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

je1 healthcare posted:

About Fan Bingbing? No. That's the ironic thing, a straightforward case of celebrity tax-dodging got enveloped by China's opaque legal handling, which drew way more attention than it would have otherwise gotten. Since westerners don't remember who Fan Bingbing is. The end result was making China's legal system the main focus of the headlines rather than Fan's salary.

You're retarded and I wish the Chinese government would "vanish" you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Homeless Friend posted:

It is incredible to have this guy who became a billionaire by knowing the right people going on tv to play the innocent. Like yeah whatever ccp being vindictive af or whatever but why choose this guy lmfao
because if it can happen to us, the billionaires, it can happen to you, too! :monocle:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

he's so afraid of the party that he's spilling all this on aussie free-to-air tv

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

because if it can happen to us, the billionaires, it can happen to you, too! :monocle:

:ohdear: the billionaires are just like me!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

the fash will never stop comparing everything to 1984 lmao

something something Orwell was anti-communist and he was also a massive homophobe who reported gays to the British state

Venomous has issued a correction as of 08:25 on Sep 30, 2021

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Dreddout posted:

Educated urban liberals will descend into frothing conspiracy theorists at the drop of the hat when the subject is china

occasionally i contemplate moving to China. every time I mention this my "leftist" friends are shocked and appalled

c'mon people, where's your enterprising american spirit. the land of opportunity has relocated!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
One thing I like about China (Asian) life is the cheap night market, I have never found a substitute for it in the US.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/JessiePang0125/status/1443196565267509248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1443461994762231811