Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Where can I buy some DDR3 cheaply? Is ebay the best option? I'd like to toss some more RAM in a sandy bridge machine, ideally DDR3-1866 or faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if it's an OEM key it's typically tied to the hardware and eventually replacing enough will unvalidate. the mobo typically does it but not always and sometimes just changing everything else can do it. but, even in that situation if you call up microsoft and play dumb about how your son fixed it and windows broke and help! eg, they almost certainly will revalidate.

if it's a full windows licence it's typically tied to your microsoft account and can be moved over indefinitely, but obviously can only be active on one device at a time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sarcastx posted:

Last dumb questions (semi-related):

-What's the deal with Windows licensing these days? I thought there was a point where it was bound to some detected "unique fingerprint" of hardware combination where upgrades would cause you to have to call Microsoft to get re-activated. Now it's just bound to the motherboard, right?

-I have another machine at home that I want to upgrade the RAM in (Ryzen 5 3600 w/8GB @3200, which I think is the fastest it supports). Can I get 16GB @ 3600 and the memory will just run slower for the chip or will the machine not boot?

Windows licenses are now tied to your Microsoft account, which you use to log into Windows so when you do that on first startup it'll check whether you have a license for W10. I completely rebuilt my PC last year and it carried over my W10 license no problem (after an hour or so of bugging me to register it because Windows).

The R5 3600 does support faster RAM than that, I have 3600 in mine and it runs at that speed just fine.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

sarcastx posted:

Last dumb questions (semi-related):

-I have another machine at home that I want to upgrade the RAM in (Ryzen 5 3600 w/8GB @3200, which I think is the fastest it supports). Can I get 16GB @ 3600 and the memory will just run slower for the chip or will the machine not boot?

it's your motherboard which tells us what memory it supports, a 3600 can go well past that. and even then it can be fucky, it's something you need to test because it relies on a ton of variables. your ram will always run at the lowest common denominator - that's true of both speed and capacity, so if you add a 16gb stick to an 8 gig stick like you're describing it will run at 3200 and not perform well when it has something in the memory that's larger than 8 gigs, i think.

if you only have one stick of ram you absolutely should have two, cpus run in dual channel and take advantage of both so one stick is a huge bottleneck.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'd just try to get another matching stick of 8gb 3200 RAM for that system.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Where can I buy some DDR3 cheaply? Is ebay the best option? I'd like to toss some more RAM in a sandy bridge machine, ideally DDR3-1866 or faster.

There's this stuff that I linked earlier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00453R90W?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

If you want anything faster, you'll have to pay a whole lot more, and I don't know how much benefit that would actually provide. Incremental improvements in memory speed tend to provide only negligible performance increases for games, if any.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah ram starts expensive and slow when a new DDR generation comes out, both of those elements are improved over time as the product matures and the market adopts the new technology and encourages competition and as such gets cheaper. then the next generation comes out and craters the old generation's price, particularly second-hand as everyone upgrades. but then, counterintuitively, as manufacturing more or less completely stops the old ram eventually increases in price because of the existing install base and can even wind up much more expensive than the newer stuff, quite often to the point it doesn't make financial sense.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Samart or eBay or r/hardwareswap.

Also people may be giving it away or for cheeps on poo poo like FB marketplace or Craigslist.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Thinking about upgrading my aging desktop. I currently have a Gigabyte H81M, 16gb ddr3 an I7 4790, and an RTX2060S. Won't need to upgrade the GPU, will keep my old PSU, case and drives. Am currently leaning towards:

Mobo: ASUS PRIME B560M-A/CSM mATX
cpu: i5 11400
ram: 16gb 3200 corsair vengeance

I'm getting into doing some rendering which I think this setup should be decent for? Any suggestions?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Thinking about upgrading my aging desktop. I currently have a Gigabyte H81M, 16gb ddr3 an I7 4790, and an RTX2060S. Won't need to upgrade the GPU, will keep my old PSU, case and drives. Am currently leaning towards:

I'm getting into doing some rendering which I think this setup should be decent for? Any suggestions?

If you can get an 11400 for less than $200, this is fine. If you're paying more than that, then you're better off going with AMD and springing for a 5600x. Or at least get an 11600K (which is actually cheaper than the 11400 according to pcpartpicker), though the 5600x is better for the same price.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

How old is that PSU?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you can get an 11400 for less than $200, this is fine. If you're paying more than that, then you're better off going with AMD and springing for a 5600x. Or at least get an 11600K (which is actually cheaper than the 11400 according to pcpartpicker), though the 5600x is better for the same price.

I'm in New Zealand so prices are a bit higher, but I'd be paying roughly the equivalent of $220usd for the 11400 (without tax it would be a bit under 200usd) or I could get a 11600KF for $280usd. A 5600x is way out because the cheapest available seems to be $330usd.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

How old is that PSU?

I think it's 4 years old now? I can't remember when I replaced the failing one that I was using previously. I think it should be good for awhile at least.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Will most parts, except for gpus, see big cuts for Black Friday? Probably worth holding out, right?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
almost certainly some discounts but no chance on GPUs except maybe via bundles. PCIE gen 3 NVME drives, SSD storage generally and DDR4 memory sticks all have recently been on deep discounts in my region, quite often here you get deeper discounts in January and feb than before Christmas.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I bought a gen 3 2TB NVMe for $170 just recently, because I didn't think they'd drop that much lower during BF.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

heyo
is there any point in upgrading an AMD Ryzen 5 1400 paired with an RX 590 if I don't want to get a newer, non-AM4 motherboard? this is a gaming PC most of the time and a ArcGIS work station once in a blue moon

this is how it shakes out on userbenchmark (i don't know why my SSD shows up as a HD)

slash

that's apparently ~$700 of PC these days. am I right in thinking that's pretty low vs most builds now?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Twerk from Home posted:

I may have some that you could have for free, if you can wait until the weekend for me to check.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

I know, CyberpowerPC kinda sucks, but they're selling a 3080 machine with an 11600KF and 16GB of DDR4-3200 for $1930 after applying the coupon code "SUMMIT" at checkout: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1PP373, or $1635 with a 3070. These aren't the worst prebuilt prices I've ever seen. The open box deals I mentioned the other day are no longer active on Newegg, so the cheapest 3080 prebuilt there is $2500 with a worse CPU.

What other prebuilts do you recommend if CyberpowerPC isn't good?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SourKraut posted:

I may have some that you could have for free, if you can wait until the weekend for me to check.

Very kind of you to offer, and yeah I'd appreciate it and be glad to toss you shipping plus a few bucks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

err posted:

What other prebuilts do you recommend if CyberpowerPC isn't good?

All prebuilt companies are bad, so I recommend whatever you can get your hands on for cheap, comes with off-the-shelf parts that aren't unnecessarily locked down and can be reused down the road, and has decent customer service that will replace any parts that come to you busted. CyberpowerPC's build quality is known to be worse than most, and their boutique prebuilts are pretty terribly designed. But when you can pick your own parts, and if you have enough knowledge to inspect the PC upon arrival and correct any mistakes made in the build process, then it's probably fine.

Some of the deals that preconfigured system I linked relied on have expired, but you still get a decent discount with the 11600KF. The new final price (~$2100 with the coupon code) isn't too terrible, but it's not good, either. But if you're looking to get a new PC from scratch and want something top-end, you're not really gonna find better options tbh. That's why I linked it in the first place even though I don't like CyberpowerPC, you gotta take what you can get.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

All prebuilt companies are bad, so I recommend whatever you can get your hands on for cheap, comes with off-the-shelf parts that aren't unnecessarily locked down and can be reused down the road, and has decent customer service that will replace any parts that come to you busted. CyberpowerPC's build quality is known to be worse than most, and their boutique prebuilts are pretty terribly designed. But when you can pick your own parts, and if you have enough knowledge to inspect the PC upon arrival and correct any mistakes made in the build process, then it's probably fine.

Some of the deals that preconfigured system I linked relied on have expired, but you still get a decent discount with the 11600KF. The new final price (~$2100 with the coupon code) isn't too terrible, but it's not good, either. But if you're looking to get a new PC from scratch and want something top-end, you're not really gonna find better options tbh. That's why I linked it in the first place even though I don't like CyberpowerPC, you gotta take what you can get.

Thank you for the response. I had my custom PC from 2016 go out on me a few weeks ago so I'm watching for any deals on prebuilts. I just need to pull the trigger and hope for the best and make any obvious adjustments on checkout when something is posted in this thread.

I was also looking at Skytech, but they are a bit more expensive.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

err posted:

Thank you for the response. I had my custom PC from 2016 go out on me a few weeks ago so I'm watching for any deals on prebuilts. I just need to pull the trigger and hope for the best and make any obvious adjustments on checkout when something is posted in this thread.

I was also looking at Skytech, but they are a bit more expensive.

Forum favourite review channel/site GamersNexus recently reviewed a Skytech gaming PC and thought it was pretty good, for what that's worth.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Arivia posted:

Forum favourite review channel/site GamersNexus recently reviewed a Skytech gaming PC and thought it was pretty good, for what that's worth.

I saw some bad news affecting some customers from IBUYPOWER pre-builds not long ago and was slightly confused by their reviewers’ complaints. I have bought two PCs from them in the past, and both of them ran extremely well and reliably performant and used quality off-the-shelf/upgradable components. The only sense I made from the other folks is that when I opened the pre-built’s box I took a while to completely tear down and “clean” the whole systems and check connections before powering them up. They both POSTed fine the first time and both run 24/7 with zero issues for months at a time unless of a power interruption or software update forces a restart. I’ve (admittedly anecdotally🧠) never had any problems and the 10 year old one is still running with an old “newer”CPU and RAM upgrades to this day.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well tbf people usually buy prebuilds so they don't need to do all that stuff. little things that we know to check first like connections and such might as well be quadruple bypass surgery to my mum.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Also a fuckton can change at a company in ten years, like literally every single thing except the name. Especially in tech, we've seen it happen before. So prebuilts that old aren't necessarily reflective of what's shipping today. I'd actually be surprised if they were

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DerekSmartymans posted:

I saw some bad news affecting some customers from IBUYPOWER pre-builds not long ago and was slightly confused by their reviewers’ complaints. I have bought two PCs from them in the past, and both of them ran extremely well and reliably performant and used quality off-the-shelf/upgradable components. The only sense I made from the other folks is that when I opened the pre-built’s box I took a while to completely tear down and “clean” the whole systems and check connections before powering them up. They both POSTed fine the first time and both run 24/7 with zero issues for months at a time unless of a power interruption or software update forces a restart. I’ve (admittedly anecdotally🧠) never had any problems and the 10 year old one is still running with an old “newer”CPU and RAM upgrades to this day.

It's not like they make the components themselves. The fact that those parts still working isn't a testament to IBUYPOWER's competence, but a testament to the original part manufacturers' competence.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

It's not like they make the components themselves. The fact that those parts still working isn't a testament to IBUYPOWER's competence, but a testament to the original part manufacturers' competence.

You are absolutely correct about a company changing over a decade! I only brought it up to counter the “all pre-builts are proprietary junk” sentiment from earlier posts ITT. It is not my experience (again, anecdotally) with the company I chose. I know I paid a premium price per component than hunting down sales and coupons for each piece plus assembly and shipping, but The Witcher 3 looks a lot better on my 3070 on ultra than my 970 on Skyrim. And even though I don’t have a VR setup, as I save money for a good one and upgrade ssds or RAM over the next few years it will be ready at that time, too.

Basically I was able to pay more at the time of acquisition than for availability at scalper/eBay allowed. Plus better for my mental health in general just to be loving DONE with the shitshow altogether :awesomelon:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ibuypower used to be a premium brand, offering only high end PCs in like the 2k+ range.

They are not that anymore. And the whole business seems to have suffered as a result.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

putting a build together for my wife to play vr in(reverb g2) with her friends. already got the 3090 through step up. she wants all white and rgb. does this look ok? is that cooler ok with Ryzen temps?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($559.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING PINKFLOW 240 55.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($259.99 @ Walmart)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.71 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($2999.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Asus ROG Strix 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($189.99 @ ASUS)
Total: $4688.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-30 17:52 EDT-0400

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Why the SSD + NVMe? Seems to me like if you're going for a 2TB NVMe already the extra 500GB SSD is pointless.

Also you probably want to invest in RAM at 3600 if you're spending this much. And I don't know if you really need a 5900X or an X570 board but I'll let someone more experienced with VR comment on that part.

The cooler is hilarious, I hope it's performant enough because you're clearly nailing the desired aesthetic.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Scythe posted:

Why the SSD + NVMe? Seems to me like if you're going for a 2TB NVMe already the extra 500GB SSD is pointless.

Also you probably want to invest in RAM at 3600 if you're spending this much. And I don't know if you really need a 5900X or an X570 board but I'll let someone more experienced with VR comment on that part.

The cooler is hilarious, I hope it's performant enough because you're clearly nailing the desired aesthetic.

Good catch def meant to put 3600 RAM. I got the SSD for the OS drive. Do people not do that anymore?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

KidDynamite posted:

Good catch def meant to put 3600 RAM. I got the SSD for the OS drive. Do people not do that anymore?

They put the OS on smaller, faster, more expensive SSDs and had HDDs for the rest of their bulk media/game storage because it was cheaper. What you're doing there is planning on putting your OS on a slower SSD and having the faster NVMe for everything else. Just get the NVMe and she can install everything on that.

Regarding the rest of your build the CPU and GPU are extreme overkill for VR and basically everything else but the parts will work together. You could drop down to a 5800x or a 5600x and a b550 board and see basically no difference in performance while spending half what a 5900x and x570 board costs, VR is mainly GPU bound.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 30, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
is two 120mm fans enough to push the heat out of that chip? i mean i think the chips kind of ludicrous overkill so i doubt you'd notice performance wise anyway but that's the same quantity of fan i have on a 3300x, lol.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Define cases generally do not provide adequate airflow for the 3090. It will struggle thermally in it unless you do some kind of negative pressure setup, maybe (using triple exhaust fans or something) so the GPU can pull in air through the back panel. That'd be good for the GPU, bad for dust management. I would consider something with more airflow, like the 4000D Airflow (note pure white, but I like the grey accents), Meshify 2 Compact (almost more black than white, but it's a striking design imo... may not fit with pink fan accents though), or Pure Base 500DX.

edit: Dual fan radiators are sufficient for a 5900X as long as you're not doing anything too wild with it. Though as stated, the 5900X is overkill for this machine. Unless you're trying to eke out the most frames per second in counterstrike go, a 5600X will do fine. (source: me, a 5600x/3080 Ti owner)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 1, 2021

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Two dumb questions:

1) I'm moving from a 3700x to 5900x: I can just swap the CPUs without worrying about Windows or drivers or anything beforehand, right? I already made sure my BIOS is updated to accept 5000 series CPUs.
2) Similarly, I'm moving from a RX580 to a 6800XT, since they're both AMD should I still do the DDU dance?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mik posted:

Two dumb questions:

1) I'm moving from a 3700x to 5900x: I can just swap the CPUs without worrying about Windows or drivers or anything beforehand, right? I already made sure my BIOS is updated to accept 5000 series CPUs.
2) Similarly, I'm moving from a RX580 to a 6800XT, since they're both AMD should I still do the DDU dance?

Correct on #1, and for #2, I would still do DDU. Just do the "uninstall and power down" option before swapping out your poo poo.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Define cases generally do not provide adequate airflow for the 3090. It will struggle thermally in it unless you do some kind of negative pressure setup, maybe (using triple exhaust fans or something) so the GPU can pull in air through the back panel. That'd be good for the GPU, bad for dust management. I would consider something with more airflow, like the 4000D Airflow (note pure white, but I like the grey accents), Meshify 2 Compact (almost more black than white, but it's a striking design imo... may not fit with pink fan accents though), or Pure Base 500DX.

edit: Dual fan radiators are sufficient for a 5900X as long as you're not doing anything too wild with it. Though as stated, the 5900X is overkill for this machine. Unless you're trying to eke out the most frames per second in counterstrike go, a 5600X will do fine. (source: me, a 5600x/3080 Ti owner)

The define 7 compact should be fine IF they fill up more fans that are better than fractal’s stock fans and they’re willing to open the front door during high loads.

I agree a Meshify 2 is better in this situation.

5900x is absurd overkill for this build. 5600x or 5800x would be more reasonable.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Having just done a very very similar build I'll stick up for it and say that if you're going whole hog with a 3090 it's probably not worth squabbling over the price difference between a 5800x and 5900x or that X570 board and a B550 board. ($400+ X570 being a whole nother story)

It's also odd to say that a 3090 is overkill for VR given high res VR like that is one of the few times all that vram may be worth it for games especially in the future.

I'm running a 5900x and 3090 in the non-compact design 7 and I'm having no issues but that's with a 360mm AIO for the CPU and a 240mm AIO GPU model. Doing Furmark burns the CPU is maxing at 70c and the GPU at about 57c, that's with the front closed and the fans not kicking up at all. I don't expect that you'll get that good a result with a 240mm on the CPU though and you may need buy additional fans. The fractal fans are more optimized for silence than they need to be in a case that damped.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Elem7 posted:

Having just done a very very similar build I'll stick up for it and say that if you're going whole hog with a 3090 it's probably not worth squabbling over the price difference between a 5800x and 5900x or that X570 board and a B550 board. ($400+ X570 being a whole nother story)

It's also odd to say that a 3090 is overkill for VR given high res VR like that is one of the few times all that vram may be worth it for games especially in the future.

I'm running a 5900x and 3090 in the non-compact design 7 and I'm having no issues but that's with a 360mm AIO for the CPU and a 240mm AIO GPU model. Doing Furmark burns the CPU is maxing at 70c and the GPU at about 57c, that's with the front closed and the fans not kicking up at all. I don't expect that you'll get that good a result with a 240mm on the CPU though and you may need buy additional fans. The fractal fans are more optimized for silence than they need to be in a case that damped.

Oh, I have no doubt that liquid cooling will trivialize the challenge of keeping a 3090 cooled, even in cases with closed front panels. Temps tend to be very different when you're going with air cooling.

As for the CPU choice, if you can save $400 by going with a cheaper cpu and motherboard while dropping very little performance in VR (if any), then I don't see how that's not worth it. Yes, you've already spent a lot on the GPU, but that doesn't mean you need to throw away the rest of your money on upgrades that don't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Elem7 posted:

It’s less about the price and more about dropping the heat load.