Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rectal Death Adept posted:

we really loving hate birds

birds are just really easy to kill it turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah really, no wonder dinosaurs went extinct if the first volcano or hooting ape with a combustible engine extincts them

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Stereotype posted:

birds are just really easy to kill it turns out.

they knew what they were getting into when they hollowed out their bones

much like humanity when we hollowed out nature

and capitalists when they hollowed out their supply chains

the bill comes due for everything eventually

but if you're really lucky it'll be your kids that are stuck with it

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Rime posted:

Judge denies application to extend injunction against protests at Fairy Creek

RCMP just got their asses handed to them in the Supreme Court, for six months of brutalizing logging protestors in BC. :unsmith:

Now we see if they obey the courts, or stick around and keep the beatings going.

Really enjoying all the :qq: about this today. An unexpectedly good decision.

Definitely a blow to industry. What will they do without taxpayer funded thugs? They might have to go back to paying for their own mercenary armies again to guard their resource extraction. Battle of Blair Mountain V2.0

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Minrad posted:

I don't understand, i keep trying to find a way to dig out of this hole, but the hole keeps getting deeper? surely there's some way to dig our way out of collapse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_znElks13UA

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I actually like that thought that was posted earlier

That human society eliminating it's ability to grow and going to pre-industrial levels of carbon will just heal the earth geologically instantaneously so 400 years from now will be fine

i have bad news about the carbon already there

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
alright the thread went a little too far into the demented doom brain direction, how do we reverse this

oh

oh no

its just like climate change, isn't it

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Hexigrammus posted:

Really enjoying all the :qq: about this today. An unexpectedly good decision.

Definitely a blow to industry. What will they do without taxpayer funded thugs? They might have to go back to paying for their own mercenary armies again to guard their resource extraction. Battle of Blair Mountain V2.0

Never fear, coastal gaslink has an injunction up north getting spicy so the jackbooted Pinkertons will be headed up there in short order to brutalize some more first nations off camera. :canada:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i am deploying doom-capture technology on this thread

it can capture up to one "lol lmao" a month, so things are looking up for doom mitigation

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
One month into spring here and a good 80-90% of the deciduous trees still don't have their leaves back are showing no signs that they will.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mola Yam posted:

i am deploying doom-capture technology on this thread

it can capture up to one "lol lmao" a month, so things are looking up for doom mitigation

this is already much more efficient than carbon capture machines - it only cost you one "lol lmao" to make it

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 12 days!)

Funky See Funky Do posted:

lmao rime what are you doing advertising this thread in the QCS shooting thread while making a bid for cspam mod?
i am deeply fascinated by rime, the man

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 12 days!)

Mola Yam posted:

mlmp08 posted:

just in case someone was thinking they could pin their hopes on literal magic or intervention by a pantheon of gods or something, the UK took care of that:

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1442859029072580613?s=21
"The white stag in Celtic myth is an indicator that the Otherworld is near. It appears when one is transgressing a taboo"

https://www.ancienttexts.org/library/celtic/jce/whitestag.html
incredible

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
/

Rime has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Sep 7, 2022

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
i think about a scene in island of the sea of time, where a bunch of humans are thrown back to the year 1000 bc or thereabouts, and they throw up two nets strung between poles and catch more birds than their city of thousands can possibly eat effortlessly. the swarms of birds they scare up blot out the sky.

like just think about what life was like when everything that isn't human was quite literally 1000x more abundant

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
something else that occured to me thinking about biomass furnances: what is the actual time scale of say, a gallon of gasoline? how much oil was processed to make that galloon, and how many trees died and got buried over how many years to make my car go 25 miles? just how hard are we swindling the biological time scale in smaller scales like that?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Rime posted:

To hear the owl call your name is the harbinger of death, to the Kwakwaka'wakw, but what when there are no owls left to call? What then?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i'm currently recovering from valley fever, a disease with an accelerating infection rate due to climate change. it sucked because the acute period of the illness had the exact same symptoms as covid, during a global outbreak of covid lol so for months my doctor was giving me all these antibiotics to clear up the "long-covid pneumonia" that was ruining my life, meanwhile this fungus is happily flourishing in my lungs.

as the world heats up, fungi are going to build up a tolerance to heat that may one day eclipse the average body temperature of land mammals. do not worry about the vibrancy of life, friends. fungus will thrive in the world we're leaving behind.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

How when you walked in nature, you could feel it buzzing around you with vibrancy, but that even then it was the death throes of an ecosystem compared to a century prior.

when i was in south island of NZ for work OP. dense jungle forest buzzing with a deafening overbearing sound of cicadas, bugs, and sand fleas

other than that, no. especially not here in california. the forests up in the mountains are just dead even with some increasingly pale-ing greenery. i think ive heard a fraction of the birds i used to hear even just 6 years ago.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Xaris posted:

when i was in south island of NZ for work OP. dense jungle forest buzzing with a deafening overbearing sound of cicadas, bugs, and sand fleas

Sandflies, ravenous sandflies evrywhere.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Had a lovely conversation with my grandmother today who lives in Nepal. She was really cheerful and talked to me about how much she misses me and how great all her grandchildren are and cant wait to see all of us together one day and feed us a great big feast with produce she grows in her garden. It was really nice :3:

Then i thought about everything that has happened in the past decade. The civil war got me to run from the country to study abroad. Many of my family died. Then half my village got covid and alot of people died. Most of them were older people, women, young kids. Most of the men from the village are in the gulf states working as migrant labor and no one has heard from them. Harvest was awful since the monsoon didn't come as it does, and when it did it washed away a nearby village. No one can plan the rice planting according to the almanac and religious calendar like we used to. The south of the country where we could reliably grow rice in has had a constant series of locust plagues druing the harvest since 2019. Most of the calories these days come from wai wai instant noodles according to the local health post that i keep in contact with. Her home in Kathmandu used to be in the middle of rice fields where i used to catch crawfish and snakes. Now her back garden barely grows anything because its surrounded by multistory houses people have built up which blocks the sunlight. The ground water well that used to water the garden and provide for the house can barely fill up even during the monsoon. The valley of Kathmandu that i left in 2007 used to have a population of under a million with barely any water or energy infrastructure to handle that, now has an unofficial population count of 2 million + with even less infrastructure since the earthquake. My cousins who haven't had a job in years but constantly take care of the family and village managed to bribe and fight their way to a doctor in a health system overwhelmed with covid patients because my grandmother was sick. Im so proud of them. Unfortunately there is nowhere to do a biopsy for the lump in her liver thats definitely cancer because there are no labs in Nepal. So im just here posting

lmao

lol

ughhhh has issued a correction as of 05:03 on Sep 30, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it was interesting to learn that sand flies are endemic to Milford sound. gods way of telling humans to stay the gently caress away from the coolest and most beautiful natural thing he made

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Rime posted:

Tossing and turning in bed tonight, my mind settled on something which hasn't stopped bothering me since my excessive travels in America. I'd just write this in my journal, but I seem to have lost it on a mountainside in July. Forums posting takes the place of a blog. More readers here anyways.

There is a lack of vibrancy in the world, today, everything has become sterile. In the 1990's and early 2000's, I guess, we hadn't aggressively urban sprawled so far yet, and just straight up hadn't killed off so much. It really, really hosed me up, I think, to have seen so much of the continent so fast through the eyes of someone who knows how bad the biosphere is and speedrun an understanding of just how barren and desertified and over-developed this continent has become.

I have a nearly photographic long-term memory, so it is staggering to lay there and play back experiences in my mind from twenty years ago to today. To think of how the ocean had a smell to it, and forests had such sound. How when you walked in nature, you could feel it buzzing around you with vibrancy, but that even then it was the death throes of an ecosystem compared to a century prior. It is impossible to look at photographs or video from even fifty years ago, and contrast it to today, and not realize that the world already ended years ago while you were playing a videogame.

Realizing that the world I grew up in and which shaped me as I ran through its glades and meadows, was already a dying and severely damaged one. That's some poo poo.

I used to have plans, I wanted to kayak the Broughton Archipelago, spend a month exploring the Spatsizi on foot, cross the Brooks Peninsula - never touched by the last ice age and home to a staggering array of unrecorded plants. Build a homestead far away from the internet and society and quite happily avoid it all for a long, long time. Visions held in my imagination, vague memories of places visited and places read about and places seen in documentaries.

Whenever I think of these plans now, they have the taste of ash, because I know whatever was there when I dreamed them up has been rendered silent by our excesses - or will be by the time I finally say enough is enough and put down my career for good. I know it will, because it's already the case on every trip I've done in the past several years. The landscapes remain, but the vibrancy has been stilled. Just my footsteps and the wind and rarely a bird so far away it may just be a memory. No buzzing of life, only of chainsaws if there's old growth nearby. Drying moss and reddening cedars and a sea bereft of jumping salmon.

To hear the owl call your name is the harbinger of death, to the Kwakwaka'wakw, but what when there are no owls left to call? What then?

You should do cocaine about it

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rime posted:

What then?

Similar story around the Great Lakes. Now I've seen the rest of the country too and what was the point? It's all the same repetitive sprawl punctuated by some unique buildings. I grew up hauling fat sunfish out of the lake with a string a hook and a piece of corn, and seeing bald eagles tussle over carp we threw onshore. I go back multiple times a year and I haven't seen anything smaller than a bass from the dock nor any birds in the trees save for the ones at feeders in half a decade. I know full well the highway expansion a mile and a half away has filled everything with pollution and death and the food chain is going out, I still have to drive on it to get there and see my family.

What now?

Idk draw a road through an oil exec's property and run them over, you'll probably get away with it. Cars are like mini corporations, way more rights than people.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Even despair can be bottled up and used to sell product

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Snickers®

All your hopes have died.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

youll be dead soon

why wait? grab a snickers

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

i prefer a 90s era caramello, before they royally hosed with the flavor

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

i wouldn't be angry if when searching the desolate wastes i happen to discover a shipping container full of Snickers®

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

ughhhh posted:

Had a lovely conversation with my grandmother today who lives in Nepal. She was really cheerful and talked to me about how much she misses me and how great all her grandchildren are and cant wait to see all of us together one day and feed us a great big feast with produce she grows in her garden. It was really nice :3:

Then i thought about everything that has happened in the past decade. The civil war got me to run from the country to study abroad. Many of my family died. Then half my village got covid and alot of people died. Most of them were older people, women, young kids. Most of the men from the village are in the gulf states working as migrant labor and no one has heard from them. Harvest was awful since the monsoon didn't come as it does, and when it did it washed away a nearby village. No one can plan the rice planting according to the almanac and religious calendar like we used to. The south of the country where we could reliably grow rice in has had a constant series of locust plagues druing the harvest since 2019. Most of the calories these days come from wai wai instant noodles according to the local health post that i keep in contact with. Her home in Kathmandu used to be in the middle of rice fields where i used to catch crawfish and snakes. Now her back garden barely grows anything because its surrounded by multistory houses people have built up which blocks the sunlight. The ground water well that used to water the garden and provide for the house can barely fill up even during the monsoon. The valley of Kathmandu that i left in 2007 used to have a population of under a million with barely any water or energy infrastructure to handle that, now has an unofficial population count of 2 million + with even less infrastructure since the earthquake. My cousins who haven't had a job in years but constantly take care of the family and village managed to bribe and fight their way to a doctor in a health system overwhelmed with covid patients because my grandmother was sick. Im so proud of them. Unfortunately there is nowhere to do a biopsy for the lump in her liver thats definitely cancer because there are no labs in Nepal. So im just here posting

lmao

lol

Scenes from your childhood sound like a dream. Scary stuff about the rice harvest and traditional planting calendar, it reminded me of a New Yorker article about Central Americans not being able to grow corn anymore for similar reasons. Well sure Bill Gates and Bayer or whoever bought Monsanto will sort it all out!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Legit kinda want a snickers.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

Legit kinda want a snickers.

an ice cream snickers

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Blockade posted:

Even despair can be bottled up and used to sell product

I think that one is fake, but :yeah:

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

The Protagonist posted:

You don't think the hyper-nationalism turned hyper-fascism will do every horrible thing possible in its power to prolong some semblance of the lifestyle the imperial core has afforded them thus far?

This is not a callout directed at you or any individual in the thread, but I wanted to comment on a more pervasive phenomenon I've noticed picking up steam recently, concurrent with the accelerating extreme weather events and general breakdown.

I'm still workshopping it but for now call it 'sudden collapse optimism', the bizarrely comforting idea that the forces that have both perpetrated and denied the ecological cataclysm will suddenly be subject to the very forces they have unleashed. It's a much harder pill to swallow that they'll do everything they can to keep the party going a little bit longer (insert whatever atrocities your imagination can summon) and their political base of support will swell and grow as they continue to, quite successfully, project blame on outsiders and The Other.

Most of the posters ITT have reached some level of acceptance about the ecological predicament as it stands, and a sudden collapse of The State in the face of that is an odd, and I would argue, idealistic offshoot of that awareness.

The idea that the brutalism of capital will expand exponentially in the face of this crisis and is likely outlast all of us is another step down the crack-ping steps to hell that is hard to accept.

We will live to see manmade horrors beyond our comprehension.

The infrastructure required to construct "hyper-fascism" piecemeal is too vulnerable to climate change to make this a reality, like Rime mentioned. My take on it is that capitalist class is good at manipulating specific variables within the society that exists right now but once you start eroding its material base they become impotent.

I think if you're worried about the state doing a fascism the thing to keep a close eye on is the US role in the global financial system. If the US role is diminished or the financial system collapses before the real economy goes kaput for good due to climate change, the US will resort to military force against foreign enemies and/or its own population to the extent feasible. If you want something likely to happen and also be afraid of, remember that the US has also been inundated with readily available firearms and ammo since forever, so the inevitable scarcity-induced pogroms will probably kill countless people even in the absence of organized state power.

That said, based on the utterly insane poo poo the richest people in the world have been saying openly about how they anticipate societal collapse in their lifetimes and how cool and good various tenets of ecofascism are (not to mention the numerous crack-pings in their less public statements you might find somewhere in Epstein thread), I wouldn't ever fully rule out some kind of desperate and futile Bond villain plot against everyone else while it's still viable. Laugh if you must.

Bathtub Cheese has issued a correction as of 10:00 on Sep 30, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Could someone define "hyper-fascism" for me? Is it just like the x-treme sports of political systems? Secret police on BMX bikes?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Could someone define "hyper-fascism" for me? Is it just like the x-treme sports of political systems? Secret police on BMX bikes?

If yogurt is regular fascism, go-gurt is extreme fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
perhaps hyperfascism is just fash ⏩