Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I guess so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

multijoe posted:

You're paying and time/boredom tax to not have to make tactical decisions or have your dexterity tested, and likely why none of the Miyazaki games past DeS put you in situations which require the use of a bow the same way any of the worst offenders in DS2 do

I don't have much to say about bow use to chip health down, but by my recollection I used a single arrow shot to pull aggro on individual enemies away from groups in DS2 and DS3 at about the same rate. Apparently this is something From expects, given that Bloodborne and Sekiro both add in items for that single purpose while eliminating normal bows and arrows.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

pulling the harald legion knights to places where you can leap off and destroy them, or waiting for them to go underneath one naturally, is something you can do to more of them than just one or two all along that staircase and the various heights above or near it. it can be exciting to pull off a bunch of times in a row, but pretty awkward and different compared to the rest of the game and i guess could be a non-starter if you are 100% against pulling and abusing geometry or consider it bad design. i gotta believe it's more intended than running past them or trying to 1v1 them though considering you get the drop animation and insane murder like with the ancient wyvern

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Cavauro posted:

pulling the harald legion knights to places where you can leap off and destroy them, or waiting for them to go underneath one naturally, is something you can do to more of them than just one or two all along that staircase and the various heights above or near it. it can be exciting to pull off a bunch of times in a row, but pretty awkward and different compared to the rest of the game and i guess could be a non-starter if you are 100% against pulling and abusing geometry or consider it bad design. i gotta believe it's more intended than running past them or trying to 1v1 them though considering you get the drop animation and insane murder like with the ancient wyvern

I feel the drop bear manuever is encouraged in DS3 - the Harald knights are the obvious victims, but I feel I spent a fair time dropping off heights on to enemies and especially in PvP. In contrast, in DS2 I don't think I've managed to land a dropping attack more than once or twice. It feels the DS3 hit box is much larger.

On a similar note, I played DS3 with the Slumbering Dragoncrest ring equipped most the time, allowing for Llap-goch style rushes. In DS2, you have to go out of your way with PvP to get it, so I find I'm generally aggroing more with a bow, then finishing with melee.

Of course, I enjoy the more stealthy stalking style of play, so YMMV.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

As a bow user I will immediately commit hara kiri for daring not to bumrush every enemy and engage with the core melee mechanics of R1R1R1R1R1R1 till dead. My shame is eternal. Chaning my steam password so I can never disgrace my games with the stink of resorting to ranged options sometimes. I did pyromancy and sorcery too, truly I am the lowest of scum.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Horace Kinch posted:

As a bow user I will immediately commit hara kiri for daring not to bumrush every enemy and engage with the core melee mechanics of R1R1R1R1R1R1 till dead. My shame is eternal. Chaning my steam password so I can never disgrace my games with the stink of resorting to ranged options sometimes. I did pyromancy and sorcery too, truly I am the lowest of scum.

*attempts to shoot arrow into own belly - snaps string on fingers and arrow slowly flips over cliff edge.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Elissimpark posted:

I feel the drop bear manuever is encouraged in DS3 - the Harald knights are the obvious victims, but I feel I spent a fair time dropping off heights on to enemies and especially in PvP. In contrast, in DS2 I don't think I've managed to land a dropping attack more than once or twice. It feels the DS3 hit box is much larger.
Yeah the DS2 plunging attack suuuucks. I've had the best success if I jump-attack off the cliff, then hit R1 in the air to initiate the plunge attack - that seems to hit enemies better for some reason.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Horace Kinch posted:

Literally nobody itt has poo poo on anyone for playing ranged builds. But also big lol at this revisionism about melee being one button ez mode, unlike the Thinking Man's class, Pyromancer. Or the deep and complex gameplay of Dark Orb.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Talking about DS2 gameplay really is the DS2 of game discussion

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

multijoe posted:

Talking about DS2 gameplay really is the DS2 of game discussion
what do you think this thread is for

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

what do you think this thread is for

It was a joke. I really tried to make specific, measured claims and not dismiss other people's playstyles and I've still got people responding as if I said 'bows are for casuls git gud scrub', like why even bother lol

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I used a bow on every DS game along with my big rear end weapon. My favourite DS1 NG+ build is Avelyn with Giant Blacksmith Hammer (yes, that means THAT, and I'm a monster). Poison arrows are drat good on DS2 NG to not use them, not as good on NG+ onwards but quite good still and DS3 has a 99 limit per arrow type but still viable.

gently caress amana without a ranged option.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 30, 2021

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

SHISHKABOB posted:

Hot take: the harald knight stairway of doom is poo poo. Like, it's bad.

I think the problem with it is that entire run between that bonfire and the next one is way too loving long and there's about a dozen little side paths (and an entire huge open swamp at the end, with the bonfire hidden away being a nearby non-obvious corner behind some architecture) that do not contain bonfires but do contain high-level enemies that can easily gently caress you up. I want to explore the staircase area more but its like a 5 minute walk back every time I die until I finally find the swamp bonfire.

I suppose I can't complain too much, its one of the last areas of the final DLC of the final Dark Souls game, it probably should be rough to get through, but man I was starting to lose patience with it on my 12th run.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

multijoe posted:

like why even bother lol

Because its funny when people get really mad about these things, like saying dark souls 3 is worse than dark souls 2 even if you dont mean it (I definitely mean it)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Raylax posted:

I think the problem with it is that entire run between that bonfire and the next one is way too loving long and there's about a dozen little side paths (and an entire huge open swamp at the end, with the bonfire hidden away being a nearby non-obvious corner behind some architecture) that do not contain bonfires but do contain high-level enemies that can easily gently caress you up. I want to explore the staircase area more but its like a 5 minute walk back every time I die until I finally find the swamp bonfire.

I suppose I can't complain too much, its one of the last areas of the final DLC of the final Dark Souls game, it probably should be rough to get through, but man I was starting to lose patience with it on my 12th run.
it would be better if the enemies despawned after you killed them a bunch

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Control Volume posted:

dark souls 3 is worse than dark souls 2

:haibrow:

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Simply Simon posted:

it would be better if the enemies despawned after you killed them a bunch

I wish there was a dark souls game that did this

it would automatically be the best one

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Raylax posted:

I wish there was a dark souls game that did this

it would automatically be the best one

But that would mean that Dark Souls has an easy mode rewarding you for being bad, never gittin gud (j/k)

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Guillermus posted:

But that would mean that Dark Souls has an easy mode rewarding you for being bad, never gittin gud (j/k)

Well I imagine such a game would feature a mechanic to revive enemies and also make them tougher, and could even revive bosses. Perhaps it could have a whole covenant dedicated to people who wanted to play the entire game in hard mode

but that's the kind of cool feature that they'd have to keep in subsequent titles

they couldn't just toss it out

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I didn't think I'd ever use the bonfire ascetics when I started DS2, but here I am with 2 Warped Swords and a hosed up The Gutter from trying to get that loving Heide Lance.

I JUST WANT TO COSPLAY MALDRON, IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Hot take: the harald knight stairway of doom is poo poo. Like, it's bad.

Copy and pasting the same enemy over and over and forcing you to fight them in a big mob. Just trash game design. :unsmigghh:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

That stairway is stupid easy. All of the Harald Knights can be lured under the bridge for a plunge attack. Also Harald Knights are really slow, dumb, and their attacks are super telegraphed.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Horace Kinch posted:

That stairway is stupid easy. All of the Harald Knights can be lured under the bridge for a plunge attack. Also Harald Knights are really slow, dumb, and their attacks are super telegraphed.

Shut up, loser.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Did anyone else know there's a way to cheese the Executioner's Chariot? Apparently if you just hide in a nook and hit it with arrows or spells as it passes, once it's low enough it can't jump the gap and you can just walk up and knock it down similar to the Ceaseless Discharge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHh8tOkqvF0

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

hit it with arrows or spells

Woah woah woah now HOLD ON a minute!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Shut up, loser.

:(

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Did anyone else know there's a way to cheese the Executioner's Chariot? Apparently if you just hide in a nook and hit it with arrows or spells as it passes, once it's low enough it can't jump the gap and you can just walk up and knock it down similar to the Ceaseless Discharge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHh8tOkqvF0

Is that NOT how that fight is meant to go? Admittedly, I've only fought it once.

It can also be poisoned, if you want some cheese on the side of your cheese order.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
The other way is shutting the gates, which makes the chariot crash and leaves the horses (the actual boss) to fight normally.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Chalupa Joe posted:

The other way is shutting the gates, which makes the chariot crash and leaves the horses (the actual boss) to fight normally.

Oh, well then.

Is the horse that shows up in the castle one of the chariot horses? That seemed rather random at the time.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

It is, that room is empty in base DS2 if I'm remembering right.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

It's got a couple Allone guys (the captains, the ones who can do the lightning sword thing) and two Syan Knights and one of those mastodon guys. Like a lot of base DS2, it is both less interesting and less fun than the Scholar version. That horse is basically identical to the charioteer boss fight post-crash.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Horace Kinch posted:

They're not really "lured" they all roam the stairway so they're auto moving when you're trying to time the plunge and you might get unlucky and having a couple walking in close succession. So if you do time the plunge right, another one might be standing right next to you as you're hopping out of the other one. Then when they're aggro they really like hiding under the bridges in a way that makes it hard to actually drop on them. If you're going to cheese them, doing the dreaded KITE & CROSSBOW THEIR HOLE is more reliable for an "easy" counter.

Elissimpark posted:

Oh, well then.

Is the horse that shows up in the castle one of the chariot horses? That seemed rather random at the time.

It's there so everyone can put variations on "Horse!" notes outside the door

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's there so everyone can put variations on "Horse!" notes outside the door

Horse ahead, in short Horse!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Holy crap, I just beat Alonne. :stare:

I'm pretty sure my life bar was empty at one point and I somehow pulled out the win. I think that boss was the toughest I've faced so far in the series, but I've DS3 yet to go. (DeS and BB done though)

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

And I finished the rest of the DLC! (except for Frigid Outskirts, holy crap what bullshit that was and it hurt my eyes)

I'd like to thank VG for his review of this game, which actually encouraged me to play it. I was gonna skip it because of the negativity I've seen on it, and I'm glad I didn't. On to DS3!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Frigid outskirts isn’t that hard. Bring Phantoms, haul rear end, don’t stop to fight the ponies.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

It's not technically hard, but it's just a lot of poo poo to have to go through for a boss fight that's what if you had to do two of a boss fight that's already annoyingly hard and easy to die from.

The only co-op boss I've ever bothered to beat without cheating is the gank squad, and that's because the run is short and the fight has a fun gimmick. Ecto cooler smelty and aava 2: what if there were two aavas aren't worth the effort it takes to reach the fog gate.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

For frigid outskirts I summon all npcs I can, then run to the right side where the wall is then just hug it until you get to the cliff that leads to the boss room. I despawn one or two npcs and fight the boss. Is still my least favourite zone in the game no matter what.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Djeser posted:

It's not technically hard, but it's just a lot of poo poo to have to go through for a boss fight that's what if you had to do two of a boss fight that's already annoyingly hard and easy to die from.

The only co-op boss I've ever bothered to beat without cheating is the gank squad, and that's because the run is short and the fight has a fun gimmick. Ecto cooler smelty and aava 2: what if there were two aavas aren't worth the effort it takes to reach the fog gate.

When I looked up the boss and saw it was just two Aavas, I said gently caress this. And I beat blue smelter demon, so I have some tolerance for bullshit boss runs, but I never even found the fog gate in frigid outskirts. I'd rather just start DS3 than put up with that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I think Lud and Zallen are a fun hard fight. They're a well-designed multi-boss where the amount of time you have to work on Lud before Zallen jumps down depends on how many phantoms you bring with. You also have to juggle the regen power the 2nd one will activate after the first dies, kind of like Vicar Amelia in Bloodborne.

But it is definitely a fight that feels scaled to having at least one human co-op partner to help juggle the two, mostly because the NPC phantoms there are mediocre. Plus the hike to them isn't fun or pleasant unless you die enough that the flying kirin reindeer start de-spawning along the ice wall. It'd be like placing Ornstein and Smough at the end of a five minute gauntlet. It's a pretty absurd boss run.