Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
That was pretty much my experience with Freedom way back when it was Wind. Basically couldn't use it inside of most buildings and it barely worked even in my house. Wifi calling was pretty new back then so it was miserable. I put up with it and then switched to Koodo under that Saskatoon plan for like 7+ years. I had it until today when I called to complain about something else and they offered to upgrade it to $50/12GB. It was an extra $4 to get over twice the data so I went for it. Really happy with the Telus/Bell shared tower thing on Koodo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Finally got my tablet activated, no one could beat Koodo 20GB for $64 tax-in for a while. The plan was $60/20GB but 10% BYOD discount + $3 visual voicemail.

My work switched from Rogers to Telus for EPP thankfully and Telus had a $60/25GB EPP deal with no activation.

- They told me I could go to the store for a SIM card, but it's $20 in-store vs. free delivered. I had to wait over a week for the SIM card to arrive.
- On the first bill, they had the gall to charge me for the service from the contract date rather than the SIM delivery date.
- They told me 'sign up now and add the tablet later' but there's a $50 charge to add a line
- They told me to go to the store for an eSIM for the tablet but it's $20 in-store and $10 shipped. I paid the $20 ... for a piece of plastic with a QR code.
- I was able to get a bill credit for $35 because of the $10 difference in eSIM cost and $50 activation fee that goes against the 'free activation' part of the offer. They said the offer only applies to telephones.
- All of this took me about 4-5 hours on hold in total

So, they scammed me for = $16 service before SIM card arrived, $10 eSIM upcharge, $50 surprise activation fee = $76, -$35 bill credit = $41 to make the switch.

Now I'm paying $60/25GB + $10 tablet = $79.10 tax-in, or ~$15 more for 5GB more data (with free fallback to 3G) and, 5G on the tablet. I decided not to pay $5 for visual voicemail and instead set my greeting to say basically "please call or text if you can help it", hopefully people don't leave voicemails.

I think I did OK but man I've been spoiled not having to talk to Koodo much over the past 5+ years, I got a much needed refresher on the subject of gently caress CANADIAN TELECOM

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

When you want to transfer a eSIM to a new device you need a new physical piece of plastic with a QR code on it too. They don’t support the eSIM transfer mechanisms so you can switch to a new phone without paying them more money for a piece of garbage.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dumb question but if you sign on to one of the 5G plans, is the “slow” data after you exceed your monthly 30GB or whatever 3G and not LTE? This is what I assume because Canadian cellular is the worst.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's just slower, they call it "3G speed" because it's the only thing a regular consumer would understand.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ah so still on whatever band but just throttled then eh, that makes more sense.

My crap rear end shaw switches to 3G when I go to a large park and data becomes essentially useless.

I really need to switch to one of the big carriers, shaw is real bad :sigh:

Sometimes I find I can get better reception just by toggling airplane mode on and then off. But not always.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

It's just slower, they call it "3G speed" because it's the only thing a regular consumer would understand.

What's the actual throttled speed, do you know?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
128kbps :a2m:

Rogers specifically says 512kbps under the Rogers Infinite plan:

quote:

Once you have reached the high speed data allotment of your plan, you will continue to have access to data services with no overage beyond the high speed data allotment at a reduced speed of up to 512 kilobits per second (for both upload and download) until the end of your current billing cycle.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 10, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

What's the actual throttled speed, do you know?
It'll be in the detailed terms and conditions, usually as a footnote on the site.

Eg. Public says "1 - Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network"

But that's their regular "3G Speed" deal.

Bell says " 30 GB
of shareable data at max. speeds* * Beyond 30 GB, speeds are up to 512 Kbps. "

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Wow good luck with that on the modern web

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Will visual voicemail even work at that speed? :ohdear:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I remember trying a mobile browser on some flip phone to try to look up an address while on the Sheppard bus. It was ultimately pointless.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Getting a new device from Telus through company. Standard options are iPhone 12 128gb for $525 or Samsung Galaxy S21 for $900. I'm assuming reduced cost on iPhone is because a new release is imminent. Is there any reason to consider another Android device instead? Alternatives seem to be TCL 20 Pro 5G, 20s, or 10L, Motorola One 5G Ace, and Samsung Galaxy A52 but I don't know if any discounts will be offered on them and cheapest will be around price of the iPhone 12.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah the 13 is going to be announced soon, and the most recent leak from today indicates 128gb storage will replace 64 on the base model.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The next Apple event is tomorrow, so maybe hold off til after that.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I guess I can't stay away from dealing with CANADIAN TELECOM. My uncle (in New York) wants to get my grandmother/his mom (here in Toronto) a mobile phone, he's sending over an iPhone 8 and wants me to get a prepaid SIM that he can top up. She's a primarily Russian-speaking immigrant in her late 80s and doesn't even have a bank account so post-paid isn't really an option unless me or my dad open the account in our name and uncle doesn't really want to do that, he wants it to be his thing for her.

Here are his requirements:
- Prepaid
- US billing address and US CC accepted for top-up (Canadian mailing address is OK)
- Physical stores if possible to help if issues arise (I told him even the big incumbents can't do much in-store and wait on hold like everyone else, so this isn't such a big deal)
- Canada-wide & US calling inclusive
- 2GB-ish, will be mostly on WiFi

Don't really have a budget but we expect it'll be like 40-60 CAD per month to top up. I can hit all of those pretty easily with my own research but the US billing and US CC, I think I'd have to call around. Does anyone know off the top of their head?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
This is the wiki I used to find local prepaid SIMs while traveling, and covers Canada as well. The page notes which carriers take foreign cards.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

spoof posted:

This is the wiki I used to find local prepaid SIMs while traveling, and covers Canada as well. The page notes which carriers take foreign cards.

Neat-o! Thanks!

Edit: Looks like Lucky has cheap SIM, foreign card auto pay, US calling with 8GB for 50/mo. Not bad considering the landscape.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 14, 2021

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

The next Apple event is tomorrow, so maybe hold off til after that.

I don't think it will change anything from my employer's end, they won't be looking at the latest iPhone model or getting any deals on it. Basically my choices are iPhone 12 128gb or something else currently on the market. I assume the S21 is the closest competitor and it's $375 more so I guess I'm switching to Apple unless anyone has anything else I should consider or take into account.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Cool, Bell just cancelled my iPhone 13 pre-order out of the blue this afternoon. Called them immediately and got transferred between 3 people trying to figure it out. Turns out it was cancelled due to stock issues :psyduck:

Why the gently caress would you let people pre-order if you're just going to cancel orders because they won't ship out on launch day. Since I have other poo poo with Bell I'm going to have a fun conversation with their retention department.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Don’t buy your phone from the carriers. It’s cheaper to buy from the manufacturer.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Got my kid on a $99/per six month 2gb per month unlimited talk and text while located within the boundaries of civilization plan with freedom mobile where VisualVoicemail ™ is just a $4 per month upgrade.

I had no idea Justin Trudeau fixed the telecom industry’s pricing. He really should have leaned harder on that during his campaign.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

I had no idea Justin Trudeau fixed the telecom industry’s pricing.

:thunk:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just left rogers for koodo.

$40/month for unlimited talk/text, voicemail and 10gb data. That actually seems...kinda reasonable?

Now please tell me how koodo actually sucks cause this seems to be good to be true.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

How did you get it to $40? That plan appears to be $50 here.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah the plan is $50 on their website. But I wanted to ask some questions so I went to my local mall that had a koodo kiosk and they had a sign saying $40 for 10gb if you bring your own device so :shrug:

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Cool. Anyway Koodo are good. The only reason I’m with Telus instead is for the cellular Apple Watch.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Koodo is Telus network, you'll be fine.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Away all Goats posted:

Now please tell me how koodo actually sucks cause this seems to be good to be true.

I switched from koodo to their sweet little baby Public because koodo changed their US roaming rates and Public retained the one that fits my useage down there better. Even when Koodo was throwing crazy deals trying to get people back it still didn't make sense with the comparatively lovely roaming for how much i traveled.
No complaints about the Telus network, I was with koodo for almost a decade and no complaints otherwise.

Oh man remember travelling? :cry:

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The day one of the flankers offers an Apple Watch plan is the day I leave Telus.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Evis posted:

The day one of the flankers offers an Apple Watch plan is the day I leave Telus.

Things that will never happen for $100 Alex.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Evis posted:

They don’t even offer it?

The $10/month ongoing cost has always seemed questionable at best to me, but I assumed any ‘carrier’ would enthusiastically sell you it.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Telus / Bell / Rogers do it on purpose so you pay more expensive plans thru the main brands for more features.

See wifi calling.

There’s no reason any of the mvno’s couldn’t offer Apple Watch support or wifi calling.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nitr0 posted:

Telus / Bell / Rogers do it on purpose so you pay more expensive plans thru the main brands for more features.

See wifi calling.

There’s no reason any of the mvno’s couldn’t offer Apple Watch support or wifi calling.

Fido does wifi calling, and Shaw. (Shaw is its own thing for now tho)

I’m still on Shaw and I hate the coverage in the burbs of lower mainland bc so much. I gotta get a better one.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I recently switched from Bell to Virgin since I no longer use so much data and despite them being the same company on the same network hardware i swear my reception and speed are worse

Have i gone placebo mad or are they loving me

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Just because they’re not loving you doesn’t mean they’re not loving you.

Kowak
Jan 1, 2007

Does anyone have any experience dealing with or working for Enjoy Technology? I'm in the middle of the interview process now and just curious for some first hand experience feedback.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

See wifi calling.

I get Wifi-calling on Koodo. I wouldn't have switched from Telus otherwise, its the only way I get coverage at home.

I imagine the cellular iPad/Apple Watch stuff will trickle down eventually. Some new fancy 5G-only feature has to come along at some point, right?

All that said, I'd love to get a cellular Apple Watch but I'm not willing to pay 70 dollars more a month for it.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Nope, they can literally pick and choose when to enable those features at any time.

For the longest time, Koodo or Fido had no wifi calling. As far as I know, public and chatr and solo still don’t.

Telus > Koodo > Public
Rogers > Fido > chatr
Bell > Virgin > Solo

Same old poo poo, different day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nitr0 posted:

Same old poo poo, different day.

Its Lucky Mobile not Solo, that died ages ago. well I'll be damned, Zombie Brand Solo revels in its state of unadvertised unlife.