Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm enlisting with the Gorilla Communes to stop those goddam tigers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Who doesn't remember the Kola peninsula? Where the gently caress is Murmansk gonna be, idiots? Or alternatively, if you don't know about Murmansk, why would you ever have looked at or cared about northwestern Russia?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the protagonist of reality, and if I haven’t been to a place, the DM’s maps of that place are subject to change.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BonHair posted:

Who doesn't remember the Kola peninsula? Where the gently caress is Murmansk gonna be, idiots? Or alternatively, if you don't know about Murmansk, why would you ever have looked at or cared about northwestern Russia?

As a Kamchatkan I am also super pissed off at that map

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Ah, far Eastern Holland!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

The chukcha comes into a shop and asks "Do you have colour TVs?"

The shopkeeper says "Yes."

The chukcha replies "I'll have a green one."

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

BonHair posted:

Ah, far Eastern Holland!

Far Eastern Netherlands! :argh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The land of fire and IJs.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Just read the conversation about city names. Like many places in the USA, mine (Chicago) is just roughly what the Native Americans who are indigenous to here call it. Many people know this already, but that’s just the name they have for the stinky wild onions that grow in this area.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Guavanaut posted:

The land of fire and IJs.

Nijs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mineaiki posted:

Just read the conversation about city names. Like many places in the USA, mine (Chicago) is just roughly what the Native Americans who are indigenous to here call it. Many people know this already, but that’s just the name they have for the stinky wild onions that grow in this area.

The entire midwest is local words bastardized into french rebastardized into english. It's lucky if a place isn't named "those absolute bastards over there, you kneaux the ones"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SlothfulCobra posted:

People forget that Afghanistan is near India and then try to explain that they've ended up with memories of an alternate timeline instead of forgetting. It's fine, people forget about Afghanistan all the time.

Putting Korea next to Vietnam is understandable if you just were following US history and associated them.
Reminds me of an old map/graphic I made:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mineaiki posted:

The way I understand it, most of the 'Native American' place names in the US are either made up, come from a language that is completely unrelated to the area in question, or just mean something extremely silly/mundane in the native speech. Of course, still better than letting it fade away entirely.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Phlegmish posted:

The way I understand it, most of the 'Native American' place names in the US are either made up,

no that's really just idaho.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
To be fair, place names in Europe also very often just mean something mundane or stupid in an older local language. Sometimes in the current local language.

Strongly suspect the same is true in Asia and Africa, etc.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Groke posted:

To be fair, place names in Europe also very often just mean something mundane or stupid in an older local language. Sometimes in the current local language.

That's only fair to Europe, it's the New World! The place names derived from Native Americans mean mundane poo poo too but they at the least sounded new and cool to Europeans. What the gently caress is a Wisconsin? I don't know but it sure as gently caress is better than New Random Part of England or sucking up to nobility.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Groke posted:

My city is Zaragoza, that is a funny way to say Caesaraugusta, por Caesar Augustus, the name of the roman emperor that was in power when the city was founded. Because Z is a sound that foreigners don't know how to pronounce, in most languages is read has Saragosa.

I hear a zaragozano indie game developer had to give details about him over the phone to a Valve employee, and the exchange with the name of the city was hilarious has the valve employee was unable to reproduce Zaragoza with zetas and find the city or even believe a city with such name exist... or something like that.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Tei posted:

l
Because Z is a sound that foreigners don't know how to pronounce, in most languages is read has Saragosa.

Thank god Latin Americans stopped that nonsense

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Words are proncounced differently depending on the language you speak, I really don't get why there's so many people who are so obsessed with foreigners not managing to pronounce words 'correctl', because that's the most obvious and natural thing in the world.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm the foreigner that thinks "Figueras" train station is spelled entirely wrong and Spain needs a time out for it

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm the foreigner that thinks "Figueras" train station is spelled entirely wrong and Spain needs a time out for it

This is a perfectly valid word in portuguese so i just pronounce it as I would in portuguese

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Randarkman posted:

Words are proncounced differently depending on the language you speak, I really don't get why there's so many people who are so obsessed with foreigners not managing to pronounce words 'correctl', because that's the most obvious and natural thing in the world.

Well that's obviously true but it's also worth considering how arbitrary the way that spelling influences pronunciation is. To use the previous example, Finns will pronounce Zaragoza "tsaragotsa" mostly because that's how Z is used in German(?), which doesn't really have anything to do with our own language, and we would have no trouble with "saragosa", which would be correct in seseo Spanish. Or how a lot of miseducated Finns will pronounce Gonzalez with English type Z's, which doesn't have anything to do with either Finnish or Spanish, and is harder for us than "gonsales" would be

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ras Het posted:

Well that's obviously true but it's also worth considering how arbitrary the way that spelling influences pronunciation is. To use the previous example, Finns will pronounce Zaragoza "tsaragotsa" mostly because that's how Z is used in German(?), which doesn't really have anything to do with our own language, and we would have no trouble with "saragosa", which would be correct in seseo Spanish. Or how a lot of miseducated Finns will pronounce Gonzalez with English type Z's, which doesn't have anything to do with either Finnish or Spanish, and is harder for us than "gonsales" would be

That's how a ton of native spanish speakers with the gall to live outside of Spain pronounce their own names.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's how a ton of native spanish speakers with the gall to live outside of Spain pronounce their own names.

That's fine but it seems peculiar that we over here adopt English pronunciations for everything too. Wait til I get to "Park" and "Myanmar"

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The Internet amplifies it.

Back in the day, if a person had a mistaken belief, they would eventually admit they were wrong or blame it on a good memory of a bad source. Sure, the Fruit of the Loom logo doesn’t have a cornucopia now, but can you prove it didn’t have one for a short time two decades ago?

With the Internet, you can prove that it never looked like that. What’s more is that there are a bunch of idiots just like you out there that either already share your false belief or can be encouraged to do so by the power of suggestion. They never had a particularly clear memory of the logo on their underwear. Why shouldn’t the fruits be in a cornucopia, an item that exists to hold fruits?

As you get to talking, you agree that it is odd that they’re called the “Berenstain Bears”. Who ever heard of a name ending in “–ain”?

I think a lot of the Mandela affect is the internet confronting a good memory of a bad source. I definitely remember a junior high teacher talking about Mandela as deceased. A textbook misprint is way more occam's razor of an explanation than massive delusion or a glitch in the matrix. The same with however you spell the bears. It would only take one typo on reading rainbow or an Oprah mention to put it in millions of people's heads. Before the internet, even legitimate news organizations had a hard time fact checking things.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I remember as a child I found it very hard to reconcile the location of both Babylon and Washington DC with my absolute complete certainty that Washington DC was in the area of Missouri and Babylon was in Brazil.

Surprisingly, this mismatch was not due to me slipping through alternative realities to one in which the locations were different, but was instead due to having played Civilization 1 on an Earth Map without true start locations. I assumed that because I coincidentally started in the United States as the Americans, everything else geographic about that game must have been correct.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Platystemon posted:

As you get to talking, you agree that it is odd that they’re called the “Berenstain Bears”. Who ever heard of a name ending in “–ain”?

It's not just odd, it's unoticeable because it's written in cursive.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Ras Het posted:

This reminds me of something. In Belgian Dutch, some English words have become 'natified', i.e. we pronounce 'tram' like 'trahm' or Batman like 'bahtmahn' (approximation, don't want to bore y'all with the IPA characters), whereas if you pronounce other English loanwords with a Flemish or French accent, you'll be ridiculed, like if you'd call a 'meeting' a 'mayting' (again, approximation), your colleagues would think you're some hick. The dividing line between English (or other foreign) loanwords you have to 'natify' or not is a little arbitrary, which I suppose doesn't make learning Dutch for an immigrant to Flanders any easier.

The reverse (kind of) happened to me when I visited Dublin. In our hostel at breakfast, there were 'pains au chocolat' on offer, but all I knew was how to pronounce it the French way, so I was afraid to come off as some snob (my English sounds near-native BrE). Luckily the breakfast barmaid was Brazilian, so she understood my hesitance. Also Brazilian Portuguese sounds beautiful, how a tiny European national language managed to produce such offspring is like wondering why extremely ugly parents managed to get beautiful kids.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
wtf is the belge-irish-brazilian word for a pain au chocolat

e: for that matter what is the english word for it

e2: is it gesturing at the pastry and going that, ah, chocolate croissant, sorry, kwahssang

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 29, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

wtf is the belge-irish-brazilian word for a pain au chocolat

e: for that matter what is the english word for it

e2: is it gesturing at the pastry and going that, ah, chocolate croissant, sorry, kwahssang

Chocolate croissant is the exact phrase I would use actually

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Peggotty posted:

Jesus Christ that subreddit. Is that a flat earth type situation where it’s a bunch of people thinking they’re the ones making fun of the rest

I have bad news for you about how earnest the flat earth people are.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pope Hilarius II posted:

This reminds me of something. In Belgian Dutch, some English words have become 'natified', i.e. we pronounce 'tram' like 'trahm' or Batman like 'bahtmahn' (approximation, don't want to bore y'all with the IPA characters), whereas if you pronounce other English loanwords with a Flemish or French accent, you'll be ridiculed, like if you'd call a 'meeting' a 'mayting' (again, approximation), your colleagues would think you're some hick. The dividing line between English (or other foreign) loanwords you have to 'natify' or not is a little arbitrary, which I suppose doesn't make learning Dutch for an immigrant to Flanders any easier.

We make fun of the Dutch for pronouncing words like 'caravan' correctly

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Berenstain bears being stein is connected to how our brains process words. It’s the same phenomenon as how you can randomize the order of the letters in each word of a sentence except the first and last, and you’ll still be able to read it. When your brain sees an st in a two part name that ends in an n, your brain automatically sees “Stein” because your entire life has trained your brain to use that shortcut. Because Stein is the only name you have ever or will ever see that starts with st and ends in n. So yes, everyone DID say berenSTEIN bears, your parents when they read it to you, your teacher at reading circle, you and your friends amongst each other. Because all of your brains glossed over the ai because that’s how reading works.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

If can’t be berenstein through common sense. If it was the berenstein bears they would be Jewish and the bears are actually extremely evangelical Christians.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

If can’t be berenstein through common sense. If it was the berenstein bears they would be Jewish and the bears are actually extremely evangelical Christians.

The real Mandela Effect is that the bears were Messianic Jews all along!

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I hope the Mandela effect people watch Rashomon and come away thinking each character is from a different universe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leviathan Song posted:

I think a lot of the Mandela affect is the internet confronting a good memory of a bad source. I definitely remember a junior high teacher talking about Mandela as deceased. A textbook misprint is way more occam's razor of an explanation than massive delusion or a glitch in the matrix. The same with however you spell the bears. It would only take one typo on reading rainbow or an Oprah mention to put it in millions of people's heads. Before the internet, even legitimate news organizations had a hard time fact checking things.

I once had a disagreement with a room full of people over what happened to the Tiananmen “Tank Man”.

Two dozen people were adamant that they had seen him run over on television.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Putting Korea next to Vietnam is understandable if you just were following US history and associated them.

Yeah you get people referring to Korea as a Southeast Asian country not exactly commonly but often enough to be a thing.

Based on no actual empirical evidence I also have a hunch that it's common for even people that are actually knowledgeable about China/Japan to not really understand that Korea and Japan are right next to each other; like can-literally-see-the-other-across-the-straits-close. There's some other reasons for this too but even in academic histories Korea gets forgotten about in ways that kind of make no sense when you actually look at the geography of the three countries.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Leviathan Song posted:

presumably it would be possible to find these misprints then, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Junior high geography has assured me the USSR existed in 2007, and no, I'm not checking any sources.