Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

How do the Americans who think America is the top superpower forever process this sort of obvious sign of falling behind?

don't know and don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

How do the Americans who think America is the top superpower forever process this sort of obvious sign of falling behind?

we have are freedoms

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Salt Fish posted:

Artificial intelligence-powered thermometer

lol

Is there a gym because I'd be perfectly happy to eat food, exercise, and practice my Chinese while I wait for entry.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

wojack crying smiling mask jpeg

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

"how will we pay for it"

and/or

"but how can we profit off of it"

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

RedneckwithGuns posted:

It's a pity there's so few 50+ goons out there because I can't wait for everyone that's had terrible experiences with COVID vaccine side effects to get their Shingrix shots lol

poo poo, I need to look into getting that. I had shingles ~6 months ago at 34 and it was awful. Doc said they don't normally do shingles vax for people that young, but insurance might cover it since I had a case already and you're more likely to have a flare up once you already have had one. Or I might just pay out of pocket, gently caress getting shingles again.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

also did this one get posted

https://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1003773

that’s quite higher than even I, a crack pinged covid thread poster, expected.

It seems reasonable to me that post viral fatigue syndrome is more prevalent and longer lasting in a brand new virus to humans compared to a frequent guest that is influenza.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I don't need shingles vaxx I already had natural vericella as a kid and then I had a shingles outbreak as a teen which was weird because it wasn't at all painful, just the bumps and itchy. Clearly I am immune forever at this point and I have cleansed the pox from my neural system with the power of antifa.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

genuinely considering moving to China after grad school at this point. I heard they’re pretty restrictive about immigration but I wonder if they have any programs for diaspora

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Something something freedom. USA! USA! USA! USA!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Chinese food owns hard

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

pillsburysoldier posted:

Chinese food owns hard

China also has pretty much the same portions in restaurants as they do in America

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

pillsburysoldier posted:

Chinese food owns hard

i remember going to a sichuan place here in america but with chinese coworkers who ordered for us off the chinese menu that's not for white people. i still think about how awesome that food was--crying tears of joy as i ate (and also from the spice)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
i hope it's a thing over there too and not just an americanized dish because i could eat hot pot for god drat ever

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

It seems reasonable to me that post viral fatigue syndrome is more prevalent and longer lasting in a brand new virus to humans compared to a frequent guest that is influenza.

That's cool but the most common feature they found was trouble breathing

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

mod sassinator posted:

i hope it's a thing over there too and not just an americanized dish because i could eat hot pot for god drat ever

there are dedicated hot pot restaurants all over in China

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

The Oldest Man posted:

That's cool but the most common feature they found was trouble breathing

Well yeah it's hard to breath with pulmonary fibrosis from all the cheese damage, that's expected.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Stereotype posted:

hmm i think actually things are poised to start getting better

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hot pot is popular all over Asia and there’s loads of variations in different countries.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
don’t be late to dinner though or it will be cold pot

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Covid Simulator Update

I added some random "youtube" videos which play during key events in the game. I'd like to keep adding to this as time goes on just to give some character, as well as something silly to break up the game a bit

Covid Simulator is free at: https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

The Colbert Report premiered my first year in college, and I always preferred his show to the Daily Show, as great as they both were at the time. I would stay up late to watch his bullshit midnight timeslot even though I missed a few morning classes as a result. Colbert betraying his rage against the machine roots to become a collaborator hurts just as much as Bernie giving up on the revolution. I wonder what the guy who hosted the Colbert Report would have said if the ghost of christmas future showed him the guy hosting the Late Show giving Biden that fluff interview before he ran for president. But in reality I don’t think I could have kept watching the Colbert Report if it had stayed on the air all these years. To me it feels like a waste of time, making fun of conservatives. What good is it to point out their hypocrisy? They know they’re hypocrites and liars, and they don’t care. I know they’re hypocrites and liars, and it isn’t funny. Every wasted breath on the Late Show, talking about cheetos and comb overs, reminds me how none of Bush’s gaffes and malapropisms ever mattered either. Colbert wasted his entire professional life pretending like it mattered that decorum was insulted when fascists didn’t follow the rules or came across like idiots. I guess I just stopped watching Colbert, but the same stupid jokes followed me everywhere and it just made me so angry that apparently nothing mattered but that ugly spray tan, and of course no one who wants you to laugh at that stuff ever entertains the idea that Democrats are complicit in all this. I think you guys are right to call them blue Maga, because they’re just as singularly focused on culture war bullshit as red Maga.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Colbert is a comedian not a political pundit, he had no political goals other than get rich and keep capitalists in power.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

How do the Americans who think

let me stop you right there

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbp60IX_jFQ

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:pooppop:

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

dxt posted:

poo poo, I need to look into getting that. I had shingles ~6 months ago at 34 and it was awful. Doc said they don't normally do shingles vax for people that young, but insurance might cover it since I had a case already and you're more likely to have a flare up once you already have had one. Or I might just pay out of pocket, gently caress getting shingles again.

I do not have the right kinds of qualifications stuck to the front of my fridge but yes, you absolutely should if your doc is for it and you can afford it / deal with the hassle of fighting the insurance gatekeepers.

Shingles can really wreck your poo poo.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
deaths have inched below 2000 :fyadride:

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

is ben garrison dead???

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

mod sassinator posted:

i remember going to a sichuan place here in america but with chinese coworkers who ordered for us off the chinese menu that's not for white people. i still think about how awesome that food was--crying tears of joy as i ate (and also from the spice)

absolutely, sichuan fuckin owns

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sphyre posted:

is ben garrison dead???

Facebook page says they have both recovered

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

mod sassinator posted:

the boys in yospos will whip one up in an afternoon

lol never let computer touchers design medical devices

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Plato's "Allegory of the Cave"

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Wizard Master posted:

Plato's "Allegory of the Cave"

wizard master

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

quote:

Two days later, Tan learned her godmother had tested positive for Covid-19, forcing her into precautionary quarantine herself. As she lived in a hotel room away from her husband and 2-year-old son for nearly a week, the 35-year-old graphic designer began to wonder, like many Singaporeans, if living with Covid-19 means living with permanent anxiety about possible infections.

"I am worried all the time, super worried all the time, because of not knowing what lasting effects Covid has on the body; and when you have a young kid, it's constantly on your mind," she said. "I'm trying to embrace the endemic mindset that the government is transitioning into, but it's very hard."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/co...EOQ6CIQ7T5JVU4/

if i were faced with the possibility of catching a deadly infectious disease during a global pandemic i would simply embrace the endemic mindset and learn to live with the virus

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hmm this is fine

3,000 cases per day predicted by late October. Four of the six Aussie states haven't hit 3,000 cases since the beginning. Maybe even combined.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 30, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
whoa whoa whoa

Only 8% of Australians say they absolutely won’t get the vaccine

7% on top of that are unsure

both numbers keep dropping

gonna be wild if Australia actually vaccinates their way out of this and America doesn’t

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 30, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lol how they got the over labeling right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Steve Yun posted:

whoa whoa whoa

Only 8% of Australians say they won’t get the vaccine

gonna be wild if Australia actually vaccinates their way out of this and America doesn’t

Man I hope this is possible. High enough vaccine rates plus some NPIs might actually be enough to get it under control. Question is how willing and able the government is to tweak NPIs in response to developments. And how willing to crack down on assholes and loons messing things up. I'm not confident but there's the possibility.