Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Best Friends posted:

No one's boycotting anything happening in America, and a lot more blood is on our hands. There is massive pearl clutching generally right now about China, and mostly from the same people who wish we put Muslims in camps here and clapped like seals for every depravation we've inflicted abroad on Muslims.
I mean, China is literally putting Muslims in camps by the millions in a deliberate effort of cultural genocide. We can certainly say that the US hasn't answered for its own legacy of genocide toward the native Americans, but one is an active crime against humanity and merits extraordinary international effort to counteract (that won't every happen because, as mentioned above, everyone's too distracted with consumer goods and their own internal challenges).

If China manages to keep things together and continue rising, it's likely to maintain it's fascistic nationalism, increasingly at the expense of its neighbors. Seems bad! We can, of course, complain about the awful things the US is responsible for at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Not just that, there’s more!

CCV2 numbers as well as SSNs. These people (anyone verified from gab or anyone involved in paying anything for anything hosted by Epik) involved are well and truly hosed.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

How the gently caress did they have such lax security, I know gently caress all about InfoSec, but how do they not encrypt their poo poo at all?

Isn't storing poo poo in an encrypted way and not in plain text Server Admin and InfoSec 101 type poo poo?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Bored As gently caress posted:

How the gently caress did they have such lax security, I know gently caress all about InfoSec, but how do they not encrypt their poo poo at all?

Their CEO just prayed for better security. Literally.

Also, unrelated, a chud site I've never heard of before claimed that Kristi Noem is loving Corey Lewandowski

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Kristi Noem is already being investigated by her AG over her daughter's real estate licensure.

E: https://www.salon.com/2021/09/28/kristi-noem-called-out-over-clear-conflict-of-interest-and-abuse-of-power_partner/

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 30, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

I mean, China is literally putting Muslims in camps by the millions in a deliberate effort of cultural genocide.

Not even Adrian Zens is going that far with the numbers.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitter.com/andrewneville/status/1443377679538049027?s=21

cool

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Isn't storing poo poo in an encrypted way and not in plain text Server Admin and InfoSec 101 type poo poo?

The CEO put out a four hour press release where he was doing stuff like praying away the demons and telling people not to download it there was a curse on it that would destroy their hard drives. Not exactly the most stable fella and sounds like he's having a really, really bad time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Orthanc6 posted:

What's your take on this silo expansion being just a shell game? I mean China already has enough nukes to cause existential problems to any adversary, so building empty silos to make potential opponents sweat and dump more money into the arms race, while spending less money yourself, seems a decent move.

It's the equivalent of flashing your gun at a potential opponent. India doesn't have the money or wherewithal to reach a counterforce parity with China. India has the capacity to execute limited counterforce attacks against Pakistan, but there's no chance in hell against China, and China knows this. Any Indian warheads would be targeted at countervalue assets like industrial zones, dams, power plants, and cities.

I don't think it's a shell game - but I'd be very surprised if more than ~25% of these silos at either site are hot at any given time. That's an educated guess.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yet somehow when Americans propose dense pack it’s purely defensive?

:sigh: :rolleyes:

Nukes are bad, m'kay? At least our land-based deterrence option is armed with a single warhead each. Sure, it's a crowd-pleasing W87-0 or -1, but it's a single warhead. GBSD is still largely :nsa: past what's already been published/teased so I'm loathe to say anything you can't Wiki about it past midnight since I'm feeling a bit punchy.

Densely packing in the US is also a consequence of the fact that it's much harder and more expensive to claim eminent domain than it was back when the silos were originally dug back in the *late 60s*. China can just select a big loving deserted plain or steppe (and there are certainly a lot of those in NW China) and summarily tell anyone who might call it home to :frogout:.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I'm glad I don't get CBS anymore.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

hobbesmaster posted:

Not even Adrian Zens is going that far with the numbers.
I misread slightly because I'm way over-tired at the moment, but Human Rights Watch puts it at "as many as a million" in an April report:

quote:

The Chinese government’s oppression of Turkic Muslims is not a new phenomenon, but in recent years has reached unprecedented levels. As many as a million people have been arbitrarily detained in 300 to 400 facilities, which include “political education” camps, pretrial detention centers, and prisons. Courts have handed down harsh prison sentences without due process, sentencing Turkic Muslims to years in prison merely for sending an Islamic religious recording to a family member or downloading e-books in Uyghur. Detainees and prisoners are subjected to torture and other ill-treatment, cultural and political indoctrination, and forced labor. The oppression continues outside the detention facilities: the Chinese authorities impose on Turkic Muslims a pervasive system of mass surveillance, controls on movement, arbitrary arrest and enforced disappearance, cultural and religious erasure, and family separation.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I was kinda wondering on that, I know India is a nuclear power, but proportionately speaking, is it barely a nuclear power?

(As absurd as that sentence is in normal conversation)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

somebody please take away chuck lorres kompromat so he can't keep making shows

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

somebody please take away chuck lorres kompromat so he can't keep making shows

Chuck Lorre makes poo poo boomers watch, because that's all that watches CBS anymore (and maybe mormons). If a show is popular with millennials, it's behind an app paywall (see: new star trek/below deck). If it's something the primary audience is boomers, it will run at a regularly scheduled time so boomers know how to find it. If your under 40, just expect to pay more to see what you want.

CBS is a pipeline to TVLand. Go look at their lineup.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

GD_American posted:

I was kinda wondering on that, I know India is a nuclear power, but proportionately speaking, is it barely a nuclear power?

(As absurd as that sentence is in normal conversation)

They're way better equipped than Pakistan. India's never done a full-up test on a thermonuclear warhead, but their largest test to date was thought to be a proof-of-concept. They certainly have the know-how and have had plenty of time to have a few surprises in the megaton range.

They (India and Pakistan) both *claim* to have ~160 warheads apiece. The real number is likely ~1.5-2x that amount, but (obviously) not all of them are fielded at all times. BUT, that's split between quite a few delivery platforms and systems. India has a VERY shaky nuclear triad - their operational SLBMs might as well have "For Pakistan, With Love" stenciled on the side, but they're working on longer-ranged ones because ~reasons~. Their primary strategic deterrence is tied up in things like the Brahmos, TBMs, SRBMs, and MR/IRBMs. This move by China is forcing them to adapt their strategic policies and, yes, spend money they very much *shouldn't* be spending on unconventional assets.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Chuds getting owned in cyberspace is cool and all, but who was the fattest bear?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
We regret to inform you that the fattest bear has a verified Parler account.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This move by China is forcing them to adapt their strategic policies and, yes, spend money they very much *shouldn't* be spending on unconventional assets.

Good point. I can't imagine the expense it would take to try and bring an arsenal up to MAD levels in today's dollars. Especially sharing land borders with two separate nuclear powers.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I was thinking of a long paragraph, but the short of it is, is that competent infosec is expensive. If I had to make some sort of assumptions considering how owned these guys are the budget they earmarked for security was zero or low enough that only the desperate or the grift oriented wanted any part of that.

I want to believe though that others in infosec saw that it was the hosting company for right wingers and anyone competent decided to say "lol no", but lol IT/Cybersec people can have no standards.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 30, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GoGoGadget posted:

Chuds getting owned in cyberspace is cool and all, but who was the fattest bear?

That was spun off into its own thread, in case you hadn’t noticed.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Defenestrategy posted:

I was thinking of a long paragraph, but the short of it is, is that competent infosec is expensive. If I had to make some sort of assumptions considering how owned these guys are the budget they earmarked for security was zero or low enough that only the desperate or the grift oriented wanted any part of that.

I want to believe though that others in infosec saw that it was the hosting company for right wingers and anyone competent decided to say "lol no", but lol IT/Cybersec people can have no standards.

I mean, this seems to track with other right wing initiatives such as Gab and Parler getting owned pretty early on.

On the other hand, Fox News seems to not suffer cyberspace attacks from hacktivists, so maybe it's more along the lines that these hardcore right wing initiatives don't employ cybersecurity at the level that the big names do.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
If you're operating a massive network full of dipshits with skeletons in their closets, I would imagine investing in security is one of those things where you're willing to spend because the alternative is utter destruction. For all their faults, Fox News seems to have a fairly tight ship internally (see also: vaccinations)

Epik and friends are just run by complete moron and/or true believers.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Orthanc6 posted:

What's your take on this silo expansion being just a shell game? I mean China already has enough nukes to cause existential problems to any adversary, so building empty silos to make potential opponents sweat and dump more money into the arms race, while spending less money yourself, seems a decent move.

I think that empty silo shell games were pretty standard practice during the cold war? You could dig an absurd number of holes in the ground and even stick working ballistic missiles in them for the price of a single nuclear warhead.

You then have trucks in constant rotation shuttling around warheads and/or dummy warheads from site to site and now the soviets (Indians, in this instance) need to task a warhead to dig out each silo if they want to do a counterforce strike; this is financially ruinous and notionally makes your land-based silos second-strike capable.

I'm not actually sure that this is a robust play now: I don't know and do not want to know modern CEPs but if the PLARF are claiming ballistic missile accuracy capable of striking moving warships, I suspect you could put IRBM through a mailslot and neutralise silos with conventional weapons.

Of course in the real world anyone sees ballistic anything rolling over the horizon and there's nothing in the silos by the time you get there. Or they don't and save the world because oops, we detected the moon.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

When you're an idiot grifter, and the griftees are easy marks, every dollar spent on IT/security is a dollar not turned into Bitcoin.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

When you're an idiot grifter, and the griftees are easy marks, every dollar spent on IT/security is a dollar not turned into Bitcoin.
I kinda kills me just how grifty, deeply unserious and performative all of the right wing poo poo is, yet it somehow gets to be the dominant narrative.

Their ideals are barely even skin-deep, change on a dime, and are completely contradictory yet they are somehow winning.

I live someplace where they decided to make the school board a battle ground (really good schools that have a mask mandate in a +20 trump county). For two meetings, these assholes showed up and screamed at the school board about how masks are tyranny, vaccinations are child abuse, racism doesn't exist, blah blah blah. Then, they were just gone. Literally. 50 of them showed up the meeting before, 1 of them showed up the next meeting and he was only there because he runs the local Heritage-sponsored poo poo stirring group and is doing recon for the next fight.

I do have a tiny bit of hope, though, that their "win back the suburbs by making moms scared of vaccines and CRT" is so transparently stupid and repulsive that it's going to backfire.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It works because Americans are very receptive to the message

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

stealie72 posted:

I kinda kills me just how grifty, deeply unserious and performative all of the right wing poo poo is, yet it somehow gets to be the dominant narrative.

I have a really messy theory that people are addicted to drama and unhappiness after years of being poisoned by reality tv, social media, and the media (particularly Fox News) leaning really hard into that drama and unhappiness.

I don’t think it’s simply confirmation bias. I think a whole helluva lot of people on both sides are genuinely happy being miserable.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

I have a really messy theory that people are addicted to drama and unhappiness after years of being poisoned by reality tv, social media, and the media (particularly Fox News) leaning really hard into that drama and unhappiness.

I don’t think it’s simply confirmation bias. I think a whole helluva lot of people on both sides are genuinely happy being miserable.
Uh, so I only took Psych 101 because I had to, but man does it feel like you're onto something here.

Edit: In grift news, the much touted (by trump) Lordstown Motors appears to be going away: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lordstown-nears-deal-sell-ohio-042847265.html

This is the former Chevy Cruze plant (and before that the cavalier and cobolt plant) near Youngstown, OH; a town so hosed that Bruce Springsteen wrote a song about it. The plant closed in 2019 partly because nobody was buying small cars and partly because trump's idiotic trade policies made steel more expensive. To avoid a protracted fight with the UAW, and to avoid having thousands of jobs lost in an area trump had flipped red in 2016, GM loaned a bunch of money to an obvious scam company that would build the future in electric pickups at the plant. Trump of course touted the entire deal and campaigned there in 2020 talking about the glorious electric future and great jobs that were just around the corner. Nothing more than a couple of prototypes have been built, and having driven past it many times on the Ohio turnpike, there's never been more than a tiny maintenance crew there.

Today, it looks like the scam is reveled, and those thousands of UAW jobs are going to be hundreds of lovely jobs assembling phones in an auto plant.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 30, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Uh, so I only took Psych 101 because I had to, but man does it feel like you're onto something here.

Snide comments like this actually fit into my theory. Thanks for helping.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

Ha, wasn't being snide. Just admitting I know fuckall about psychology, but this makes a ton of sense to a layman. Deep breath, friend.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I don’t think he was being snide, I think he was agreeing with you.
Yeah, this. I think you're right.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 30, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Also I do as well- remember that Facebook didn’t change its algorithm despite evidence showing it produced conflict and inspired people to join extremist groups because we’re attracted to divisiveness.

quote:

“Our algorithms exploit the human brain’s attraction to divisiveness,” one slide from the presentation read. The group found that if this core element of its recommendation engine were left unchecked, it would continue to serve Facebook users “more and more divisive content in an effort to gain user attention & increase time on the platform.” A separate internal report, crafted in 2016, said 64 percent of people who joined an extremist group on Facebook only did so because the company’s algorithm recommended it to them, the WSJ reports.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/26/21270659/facebook-division-news-feed-algorithms

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

boop the snoot posted:

This forum (all of it, not just gip) is a pretty good example

bengy81
May 8, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

I think you aren't too far off. I think people wan to be "involved" in whatever, so that they feel like they are doing something, and it totally plays to both sides, but I think it's either more effective or brash on the conservative side.
So we have the school board thing too, and I'm pretty sure the long game isn't about mask mandates, but changing curriculum and getting school choice vouchers. But mask mandates make the local idiots angry, so they stir them up, get them to support recalls and fascist candidates and then suddenly they have 4/5 of the seats on the school board.

I saw a similar thing a few years ago. There was a big retail development going up on prairie dog habitat, some lawyers engaged the local loonies, and they started protesting the development. The construction was delayed 6 months while the loonies tried to convince them to humanely relocate the prairie dogs. In the meantime, the lawyers were working behind the scenes to score a 5 million dollar payout to make the lawsuit go away. In the end, some lady got arrested for keeping like 100 prairie dogs in her garage.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah, my response did more to prove my theory than his post.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bengy81 posted:

I think you aren't too far off. I think people wan to be "involved" in whatever, so that they feel like they are doing something, and it totally plays to both sides, but I think it's either more effective or brash on the conservative side.

I think it’s just easier to be mad. You have to work to be happy but anger is served up to us on a silver platter every single day. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say they’re happyscrolling as opposed to doomscrolling.

I believe that boomers collectively feel slighted because they didn’t get a Great War. Or a Great Depression. And their entire lives have been dominated by changing power structures. Minorities getting more power. Women getting more power. So boomers overcompensated and ruined everything.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

I think it’s just easier to be mad. You have to work to be happy but anger is served up to us on a silver platter every single day. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say they’re happyscrolling as opposed to doomscrolling.
There's lots to genuinely be mad about. The planet is literally dying. Hypercapitalists are building recreational spacecraft on the backs of spreading increasingly abusive labor practices to all of us, the majority of people are being exploited and manipulated in just about every aspect of their lives. . . . but that's not what people are angry about.

bengy81 posted:

I think it's either more effective or brash on the conservative side.
Their primary motivator at this point is rage and victimhood and they are ready to believe whatever fires that up. Like Boop the Snoot said.

bengy81 posted:

I'm pretty sure the long game isn't about mask mandates, but changing curriculum and getting school choice vouchers. But mask mandates make the local idiots angry, so they stir them up, get them to support recalls and fascist candidates and then suddenly they have 4/5 of the seats on the school board.
It's 100% this. The guy who was ringleading our anti-mask bullshit is a "traditional values" crusader funded by the Heritage Foundation whose real interest is getting rid of anything remotely progressive in schools (his site has a whole section about the evil boogieman of social emotional learning) and ultimately destroying public education in favor of vouchers. He only started giving a poo poo about masks in the past couple months. This is what I mean about it being so unserious. And he just gained hundreds of angry people to his cause because they have a childlike concept of freedom without responsibility.

Also, he just moved to my more conservative community after his wife came in last in the school board race in a wealthy Jewish suburb whose republicans are not trump fans.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

stealie72 posted:

There's lots to genuinely be mad about. The planet is literally dying. Hypercapitalists are building recreational spacecraft on the backs of spreading increasingly abusive labor practices to all of us, the majority of people are being exploited and manipulated in just about every aspect of their lives. . . . but that's not what people are angry about.

100%. But I don’t think people seek out anything good to give any balance to all of the negativity.

Even a 10-1 ratio of negative things ingested to positive would likely raise the mental health of a lot of people, but I’m afraid it’s doom and gloom all the time, especially since social media became the main battleground.

My point was you have to seek the good, while the bad is given to you without much choice.

Ten or fifteen years ago you could at least ignore bad news for a while if you wanted to.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

100%. But I don’t think people seek out anything good to give any balance to all of the negativity.

Even a 10-1 ratio of negative things ingested to positive would likely raise the mental health of a lot of people, but I’m afraid it’s doom and gloom all the time, especially since social media became the main battleground.

My point was you have to seek the good, while the bad is given to you without much choice.

Ten or fifteen years ago you could at least ignore bad news for a while if you wanted to.
Maybe we all need to check out the blessed pics thread more often: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847325

bengy81
May 8, 2010

stealie72 posted:

Their primary motivator at this point is rage and victimhood and they are ready to believe whatever fires that up. Like Boop the Snoot said.

It's 100% this. The guy who was ringleading our anti-mask bullshit is a "traditional values" crusader funded by the Heritage Foundation whose real interest is getting rid of anything remotely progressive in schools (his site has a whole section about the evil boogieman of social emotional learning) and ultimately destroying public education in favor of vouchers. He only started giving a poo poo about masks in the past couple months. This is what I mean about it being so unserious. And he just gained hundreds of angry people to his cause because they have a childlike concept of freedom without responsibility.

Also, he just moved to my more conservative community after his wife came in last in the school board race in a wealthy Jewish suburb whose republicans are not trump fans.

You aren't by chance in NoCO are you? Cuz your poo poo sounds exactly like our poo poo.
One of the board members they are trying to recall is the head of the teachers college and has a million years experience, like basically the perfect person for the job. And they want to replace her with a guy who enlisted in the Army, after being a cop in Oklahoma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bengy81 posted:

You aren't by chance in NoCO are you? Cuz your poo poo sounds exactly like our poo poo.
One of the board members they are trying to recall is the head of the teachers college and has a million years experience, like basically the perfect person for the job. And they want to replace her with a guy who enlisted in the Army, after being a cop in Oklahoma.
Nope, semi-rural Ohio. Though I lived in Greeley for a while, so none of this sounds surprising.

All of this is a national template. It's exactly what Gingrich and Grover Norquist did in the 90s, except then it was mailing weekly tapes of talking points, now it's an instant online infrastructure. Get republicans in all the local posts nobody sane gives a poo poo about, and fight skirmishes in the dumbest of places. This is also all part of a campaign to win back suburban women for the GOP. "WHAT ABOUT CRIME" didn't work great last time, so this time it's "COMMIES ARE COMING TO INDOCTRINATE YOUR KIDS."