Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (February 1, 1934)

Peanuts (October 2, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Vulture Capitalism: The Comic Strip

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (April 30, 1938)

Out Our Way (June 17-19, 1937; spoilered for the usual reasons)

Toonerville Folks (February 14-16, 1918)

Dok's Dippy Premeditated Homicide! (October 19, 1913)

Little Lefty (June 3-5, 1935)

Blondie (From Zero) (February 26-28, 1931)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol'd good at this one

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass :unsmith:

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.
Hell yeah Gamer. Shame about how the whole Ultimate Warrior thing goes but hell yeah.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass :unsmith:

Why does he have a wig in her hairstyle readily available?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
^ lol

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True November 11, 1918
And the WWI comics just end. I couldn’t find any that ran after the 11th.
*whew*

I would assume that then, as now, there was a fairly long delay between the cartoonist finishing a strip and it appearing in the day's paper. So it's probable that there were more war comics waiting in the queue, but the editor just refused to run any more of them after the Armistice. If any of these late-stage jingoistic war cartoons did get "orphaned" that way, I wonder if they still even exist anywhere. It seems unlikely.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "288 - Jucika And Discretion"

"289 - Jucika At The Museum" NSFW Nudity

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Bruceski posted:

Why does he have a wig in her hairstyle readily available?

if this isn't a joke post, look up 'ultimate warrior'

riderchop fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 30, 2021

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

I feel like there's an interesting story in the premise of two people effectively raising each other via time travel, but I don't trust Holbrook to write it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Strontium posted:

:suspense:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Strontium posted:

I can't believe the way this comic's turned out.

They mis-used the term 'ironically'!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Sorry for missing yesterday, didn't even have time to breathe.

Classic Kevin & Kell in: Danielle comes to a decision (October 27 - November 2, 2003)

(Click for big)

So you're just gonna deceive everyone? Just let them believe Danielle, someone they loved, someone who tragically died for them, was an impostor, and you're the real one? You're going to do that?

Okay then.

Modern Kevin & Kell double dose (yesterday and today)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not just steak, steak that's been to pilates. :v:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mikl posted:

Sorry for missing yesterday, didn't even have time to breathe.

Classic Kevin & Kell in: Danielle comes to a decision (October 27 - November 2, 2003)

So you're just gonna deceive everyone? Just let them believe Danielle, someone they loved, someone who tragically died for them, was an impostor, and you're the real one? You're going to do that?

Okay then.

Oh yeah, Kevin's Dad's in jail to protect that "impostor", isn't he?

But yeah, she's decided to start eating people after a week or so of having changed universes. No questions, no reservations. Just cannibalism.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

And the reruns move into a new decade:

Tina's Groove Classic (January 1, 2010)

January 1 and 2 are missing from my backups.

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 1, 2000)

Garfield Classic (January 1, 1990)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Any early precursor to the 'Oh my god, he has headphones on, he can't hear us!' meme.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 9/29/01

Brenda Starr 4/21-23/47

Smokey Stover 8/1/43

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 06, 1947)

Aleta using the word "Indian" in the last panel is the first instance of it showing up in dialogue and not narration. I find this interesting since this story takes place a thousand years before the Columbian exchange - the characters are aware this is a "new" land and have no reason to think they are anywhere near India.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 06, 1947)

Aleta using the word "Indian" in the last panel is the first instance of it showing up in dialogue and not narration. I find this interesting since this story takes place a thousand years before the Columbian exchange - the characters are aware this is a "new" land and have no reason to think they are anywhere near India.

:allears:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Medenmath posted:

Language seems mostly translated for the reader without IN THE BANDAR TONGUE type notice

Presumably Val can speak English as he is a member of the court in Camelot but it wouldn't be the English we see in dialog.

What would his native language be? Some sort of Proto Norwegian or something?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Some sort of Proto Norwegian or something?

Probably Proto-Norse. We're also about 1,000 years before the Haudenosaunee League formed, but I'm as equipped to research pre-contact North America that far back as Hal Foster was.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 30, 2021

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Language seems mostly translated for the reader without IN THE BANDAR TONGUE type notice

Presumably Val can speak English as he is a member of the court in Camelot but it wouldn't be the English we see in dialog.

I suppose that's true. I'd actually argue that King Arthur's court probably speaks some Celtic language, come to think of it.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Elysiume posted:

I feel like there's an interesting story in the premise of two people effectively raising each other via time travel, but I don't trust Holbrook to write it.

Netflix's Dark has you covered.

The Bloop posted:

I think the comic also mentioned him speaking or at least understanding Latin at some point too.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 16, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 27-28, 1990)

Blind Alley (spoilered for dead bird)

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

What a warm and loving family.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: No fibbing, a fish thaaat big! (1935/49)

We're almost through the comic's first full year, the remaining three comics for 1935 are Christmas and New Years' specials - now is as good as time as any to take a quick break from weekly installments and look at the bonus comics from that book I mentioned.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Trouble brewing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Fava beans are literally called "sky beans" in Japanese.

I love both of these comics.

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True November 11, 1918

And the WWI comics just end. I couldn’t find any that ran after the 11th.
*whew*

I had the thought that there must be a universe where everyone around Everett True considers him to be a horrible blowhard busybody and just puts up with his poo poo because he's prone to violence and the local cops don't take complaints about him seriously. He'd just be a side character on a Law and Order episode or something.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 30, 2021

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Green Intern posted:

I had the thought that there must be a universe where everyone around Everett True considers him to be a horrible blowhard busybody and just puts up with his poo poo because he's prone to violence and the local cops don't take complaints about him seriously. He'd just be a side character on a Law and Order episode or something.

That'd be the terrible tempered Mr. Bang.

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (October 25-27, 1917)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Are old people typically invited to go back to their high school and do their old routines for Homecoming, or is this a Funky Winkerbean thing?

F Minus

Mark Trail

"Ended up alone"? Mark barely knows this woman.

Mary Worth

Brigman is pretty good at drawing dogs.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

I'm gonna be off the grid for the weekend starting tomorrow, so I won't be posting comics until Sunday or Monday. I'll do a catchup, but if you just can't wait to see what happens in Mary Worth—and I would not blame you for that—anyone can feel free to post any or all of my usual comics in the meantime.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (June 3-5, 1935)

Uncle John rules. I love that he's always taking the kids seriously and getting them involved in their own part.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Murdstone posted:

Are old people typically invited to go back to their high school and do their old routines for Homecoming, or is this a Funky Winkerbean thing?

One of our high school homecoming parades had a former homecoming queen in the first car on the anniversary of her winning, but she was over 90 years old and it was very cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

But my best friends call me Randy