Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah the puzzles don't seem hard I just barely register them before they're gone. They're just the puzzles from lonestar bottlecaps I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Poor Jeff, his throat sounds shredded. Get that man a lozenge, stat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think they'll be back to tribal soon for keeping Tiff but Voce spending 10 minutes bragging about always being the best makes his exit enjoyable.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am a brain surgeon who is the best at everything and do not need a million dollars, unlike you

ok bye then

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Brad was the dumbest player I'd ever seen until Xander showed everyone he didn't have a vote and confirmed he also didn't have a hidden idol. Then Tiff started panicking before Tribal despite knowing this. Then Voce started talking during Tribal. There's a fine assortment of incredible dumbasses in this group. Evie might actually be the only smart person on that entire tribe.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Survivor 41: self-owns vs own-goals

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How on Earth could they not just get rid of Xander here?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
pst thoughts

Brad SPRINTING down the beach to spyshack is hilarious. Especially that he told both women about it before he went.

I actually really like Naseer's fire scene? It's cute. Breadwinner scenes are rare nowadays.

Okay yes Xander idol/advantage scene yeah whatever I get it. At least the BEWARE is interesting. Forcing him to say a phrase is loving hilarious. Not being able to vote UNTIL the other two are found is awful, that's... destructive. No way around sharing it with people. These phrases are loving hilariously awful.

Evvie gonna turn on Xander immediately???

Forcing him to say it over and over again is even more incredible. I love this trash.

Tiffany isn't gonna cross this beam at all, is she? Meanwhile Shan throws in a bunch of little flourishes.

Tiffany made it! And Liana blazed it. But it ain't enough. So we get to see Xander vs Tiffany?

I love the little groupings for decisions, I think that's super neat.

I'm shocked they went for it on Voce tbh

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I assume because Tiff didn’t understand the beware idol or thought Xander had another hidden idol completely ignoring that’s why you blindside people you know have idols for gently caress sake. Though he’s going to hang himself eventually since he’s not smart enough to wait until everyone else has had a bit more time to idol hunt before exposing his weird passphrase.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
back in my day if you found an immunity idol, you hit it in your butt crack and god forbid it moved even an inch until you absolutely 100% knew you were going to use it!!!! not this "run back to camp and show people" stuff the kids are doing these days

good episode. Brad is still king goober. Naseer is a baller. Jeff needs a Ricola. also if the trail in that sweeping drone shot is the one they have to climb to get to that decision platform, thinking about having to hike it after doing that challenge makes me want to vomit. brutal

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Raxivace posted:

Obviously they are worried about all the power he will have in the future when his idol & extra vote become active... So might as well get rid of his buddy first! (Although I think mostly it's because Tiffany has no idea what is going on and the other 2 would still rather work with her so they did what she wanted...)

Also, a real eyeroll moment when Jeff questions if a surgeon had to do the math in his head on the spot to figure out what 1/6 was in decimals... I know America is dumb as poo poo and all, but I'm assuming at a least a decent portion of people know it's 16.6 or whatever...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also it's kind of funny how much information Evvie shares with people to earn their trust...

Gave Deshawn all the information in the world to gain trust without getting anything back... Gave out Xanders advantages, let Deshawn know about the Beware idol clue being hidden at the camps... and then gave him the extra vote as well?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think Evvie's making a lot of bets knowing she's going into the merge as part of the smallest tribe, so she wants to have at least one ally somewhere else. I don't think it's going to work but I can at least see what she's trying to do.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

njsykora posted:

Though he’s going to hang himself eventually since he’s not smart enough to wait until everyone else has had a bit more time to idol hunt before exposing his weird passphrase.

He has to say it every time, he doesn't get a choice.

I think the ideal result is that through a series of tribe swaps Xander manages to find all three of the advantages and has to activate them by having a nonsensical conversation with himself.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nobody finds the 3rd part to the Beware Idol and Xander has to go the rest of the game without getting to vote... but then wins based on his relationships along the way.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Was there anything shown before tribal indicating a Voce vote or were we just entirely left out of the actual plan via the edit to concoct a “blindside” moment?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MisterZimbu posted:

He has to say it every time, he doesn't get a choice.

Yeah but what happens if he doesn't?

Anyone have a screenshot of the scroll? I didn't notice anything on there about it. It seems odd that there is no explicit penalty for noncompliance

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Pandaal posted:

Was there anything shown before tribal indicating a Voce vote or were we just entirely left out of the actual plan via the edit to concoct a “blindside” moment?

The only thing I noticed was Tiffany getting increasingly paranoid about Xander’s idol being on. I think we’re meant to assume Evvie and Liana gave in to her so she’d stop spiraling.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pandaal posted:

Pretty sure Tiffany directly said they should switch the vote because she would go home if Xander's idol was active if they voted for Xander. It was kind of a good part of the pre tribal chat all around... Not sure if she directly mentioned Voce... but there isn't another choice in a tribe of 5.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tiffany was being a panicky idiot. Getting rid of captain butterflies was the obvious correct choice FOR HER.

Getting rid of her may have been better for everyone else. There's no end game alliance there, she is going to push the wrong buttons sooner or later

89407G966EHLO389EO
Apr 27, 2005

TOP DOG
I really don't get Evvie capitulating to Tiffany. For someone I had initially pegged as a strong player, I'm left scratching my head at last night's vote.

Tiffany is a wildcard and comes off as unreliable to their alliance. Liana being over dealing with her this early in the alliance doesn't bode well, either.

Evvie started the ep. with a strong backup alliance with Voce and Xander. Until she spilled all of Xander's secrets to Deshawn, she still had the potential of working with him even if she axed Voce this ep. NOW, if there's a swap or a merge, that relationship could go nuclear. Voting Xander instead of Voce doesn't introduce the same amount of risk to her game.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah but what happens if he doesn't?

Anyone have a screenshot of the scroll? I didn't notice anything on there about it. It seems odd that there is no explicit penalty for noncompliance

Or what happens if an idol holder goes home?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The beware idol seems hugely glitchy. If Xander has to say that thing about the butterflies more than once, that's just stupid. If someone on another beach never finds their idol and he can never vote again, that's just completely broken.

Liana said at one point, "well we're losing anyway so..." but they're losing because of Tiffany! Liana is a beast, Xander is strong, and Voce and Evvie seem solid. It seems like they'd have a good shot at racking up some wins if they got rid of her.

Anyway, really not sure what to make of that vote. Evvie saw the idol parchment herself and everyone was at the challenge to hear no one said the other phrases, plus it was a blindside scenario. If Tiffany is so intractable on making the obvious wrong vote, then she's a clear liability and should be let go. Evvie had even already burned Xander, and now she's backtracking and keeping him around?? What if the other people find parts 2 and 3 of the idol before the next TC and he's immune!! This was the safe moment to take him out if you weren't going to work with him, and if you did decide he's a good ally, then it seems like Tiffany is the vote.

The best thing I can think of is they realized Tiffany is a problem, and decided to work with Xander instead, and brought Xander in and made a new three of Evvie/Liana/Xander. Still not sure why Voce goes first, except maybe Xander didn't really like him either, or maybe Xander just relented on letting Voce go first when he sealed the new deal with Evvi and Liana.

It's interesting that if they voted out Tiffany first, then either Xander gets his votes back and Xander/Voce have a potential 3-2 vote edge, or Xander doesn't get his vote back he and Voce are down 2-1. Maybe instead of dealing with all that uncertainty they were just like, let's rip the bandaid off, you can prove you're committed right now, and we're proving we trust you by not voting you out now even though we know you could have the idol tomorrow.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Pretty sure Tiffany directly said they should switch the vote because she would go home if Xander's idol was active if they voted for Xander. It was kind of a good part of the pre tribal chat all around... Not sure if she directly mentioned Voce... but there isn't another choice in a tribe of 5.
Yeah, she was demanding Voce specifically pretty hard. This result was a surprise but not at all out of left field. It was an explicit repeated request Tiffany made to both Liana and Evvie.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

The beware idol seems hugely glitchy. If Xander has to say that thing about the butterflies more than once, that's just stupid. If someone on another beach never finds their idol and he can never vote again, that's just completely broken.

There could be some aspect to it we aren't aware of like it's gone once a merge happens or something, but yeah, it feels like "gimmicks for the sake of gimmicks" territory that wasn't thought out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pokeyman posted:

Or what happens if an idol holder goes home?

Doesn't matter, once it's been said that's all that's needed. So it seems, at least

If someone finds it after immunity challenge and then goes home with it I guess they just hide another one

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was getting convinced that Tiffany had just loving panicked her way out of staying. There is no loving way I would be able to work with her.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

I think Evvie is really hung up on making her women's alliance work, and in her mind, she needs to keep Tiffany around or the women on the other tribe will start questioning why Tiffany went home and whether she is serious about it. I'm not sure if this is the wisest move having not actually met any of the other women, but we'll see if it works out for her!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
The more I think about it, the less the decision to keep Xander around makes sense. No matter whether he or Voce got voted out, both of them would immediately know that their alliance with Evvie had been thrown in the trash, and now Xander knows that with the added benefit of having this idol despite not having a vote right now. I suppose in the case of a tribe swap, the three of them would still have the upper hand if they can get their votes together. But if it's a merge, Xander is going to be fully loaded with a list of three people for the other players not to trust.

And, well, I think if neither happens and they get back to tribal council and vote out Xander, then I feel like it's going to really kill their future chances of convincing players in the other tribes to work with them. I'm not sure how Evvie or Liana could possibly spin "we voted out two people who were performing competently at challenges and instead decided to keep around a serious liability" into a net positive. The whole Girls Club thing feels like it was cooked up a little too early in the game for it to be practical and if they double down on it, won't they be pigeon-holing themselves in terms of future strategy? idk this is the first time I've watched Survivor in like 15 years so maybe I don't know poo poo about gently caress

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Doesn't matter, once it's been said that's all that's needed. So it seems, at least

If someone finds it after immunity challenge and then goes home with it I guess they just hide another one

Right, that makes sense. Now I wanna see Xander have no vote until merge, then find the other two idols, sound deranged at the subsequent challenge, then wander around jingling his three activated idols.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Xander next challenge:

"Remember last time when I said ...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized Tiffany literally Purple Monkey Dishwashered that quote

Did he say anything about purple? She is a loon

slev
Apr 6, 2009

That beware idol would be way more interesting if you only lose your vote after the first time you say the phrase.

By the merge Jeff is going to have to spend 10 minutes before tribal council recapping all the advantages and disadvantages the players have.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

slev posted:

That beware idol would be way more interesting if you only lose your vote after the first time you say the phrase.

By the merge Jeff is going to have to spend 10 minutes before tribal council recapping all the advantages and disadvantages the players have.

Speaking of, I am not enjoying Jeff looking down the barrel and saying not much. I love seeing behind the scenes stuff like how the crew works, what it looks like to have every little group followed by at least one camera, how the challenges are set up, etc. Seemed like that was the idea from episode one. But instead it's like "oh did you fall asleep, lemme catch you up real quick".

Like my favourite Survivor moment was that challenge digging in the sand when it was super hot out, and four players collapsed at once, so they deputized the entire crew as medics and fell back to a static shot from a camera on some tower. Could see the whole set, it was really cool. I want more of that, if Jeff's gonna talk to us directly all the time.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to guess that since all three tribes have a beware thingy Xander's vote prohibition will end at the first merge, if he makes it that far.

He's still a maroon for blabbing about it though.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I think the idol is way better this season because there's actual drawbacks to finding it early? It also can't be played immediately so it's like... it's way less power for way more risk. Single extra votes are less strong theoretically and a better advantage to give out cheaper.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

curiousCat posted:

I think the idol is way better this season because there's actual drawbacks to finding it early? It also can't be played immediately so it's like... it's way less power for way more risk. Single extra votes are less strong theoretically and a better advantage to give out cheaper.

Yeah, I like this twist. It'll help prevent people going on idol runs like Mike and Ben had (assuming they continue to make it difficult and dangerous to have), and it makes it easier for people to take someone out with an idol.

I still don't really understand the protect your vote gamble thing, especially if it's every episode. I don't want that.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I like this twist. It'll help prevent people going on idol runs like Mike and Ben had (assuming they continue to make it difficult and dangerous to have), and it makes it easier for people to take someone out with an idol.

I still don't really understand the protect your vote gamble thing, especially if it's every episode. I don't want that.

I felt it ran kind of flat this episode compared to the first. Everyone in the game is familiar with how it works now and it would be a lot more interesting to throw a curve ball so people don't start meta gaming it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The dumb catchphrases are very cringey.

Would have been much better to use a single word if they have to KEEP saying it imo

The idea is good.

I still think the smart play was to put that thing back where it came from and get it when you need it, but I guess the risk is that production would remove it if you don't take it, that part was certainly not clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I haven't watched this show in years, but is there actual data to suggest that winning alliances actually do start on Day 1? Like for dominant alliances do they form early, or are they cobbled together post-merge?