Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

https://twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status/1442817423518883844

???????????

EDIT: oh weird I remembered this guy as a republican, my post makes ... less sense now that he's turned into a democrat. leaving it up anyway!

Kaedric has issued a correction as of 02:55 on Sep 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kaedric posted:

https://twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status/1442817423518883844

???????????

EDIT: oh weird I remembered this guy as a republican, my post makes ... less sense now that he's turned into a democrat. leaving it up anyway!

He's a tea party conservative congressman from Illinois who is a true believer. He lost his seat to Tammy Duckworth and went to be a radio host. When I say true believer I mean it, he lost his radio show because he didn't support Trump enough. I forget the issue but it was clear to anyone with any consistency Trump either did wrong or wasn't being conservative. This was 2019, and he just disapepared from the radio as the call-in listeners got more and more frustrated that he wouldn't just constantly root for Team Trump.
What's even more amazing is that the guy who replaced him was a regular call-in crank. Sean (From Elmwood Park) Castin owned a smoke shop, would call in (and advertise) regularly on Joe's Show and then when Joe got the boot Sean got to take his slot. He's an absolute crank. Like the child of My Pillow Guy and Michael Savage.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

you don't usually clean your mirror when you try to make this analogy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/CommieDGurl/status/1443302417013960704?s=20

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I went to a Klan rally hoping to show them that bla

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

this can't be a real person

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doctor Jeep posted:

this can't be a real person

it definitely can, but it might not in this case

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Yeah it's fake, I looked at the digital footprints and then mastrubated about the feet - a cis woman

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm getting the impression that person is actually an SA poster, I don't think the term "troon" is in use outside of SA

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm getting the impression that person is actually an SA poster, I don't think the term "troon" is in use outside of SA

iirc it got picked up by kiwifarms posters while monitoring trans people on SA because they thought it was a slur for trans people and the site has been using it in that capacity since then

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

i got probated by koalas march for posting the troon wikipedia page

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

[Hot Takes] i got probated by koalas march for posting the troon wikipedia page

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Flesh Forge posted:

I've never seen the term used inside of SA, what does it mean?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bot 02 posted:

I've never seen the term used inside of SA, what does it mean?

Trans Goon

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
well at any rate that's a super sad story regardless of provenance, I'm not going to get any more of it on me

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Weka posted:

The British, at least at the time, were opposed to westward expansion and genociding natives, so it's both unclear north America would have been unified and almost certainly a better outcome. Possibly an earlier end to slavery.

Defeating america would have had to come with a different relationship with their imperial holdings & more faith in the long-term profitability of the colonies, which likely would have also come with more genocide, slavery, and expansion.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/IsraelinCanada/status/1443592226596999177?s=20

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

:psyboom:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/Kisha890/status/1380540320346165249

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

that’s a weird direction to take to end up at the separate evolutions of H sapiens theory

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
... interesting tweets there. could get to some really racist conclusions from them if you wanted to.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

She's right, though. Homo sapiens came to North America on boats before the Bering Straight land bridge was accessible, they've found remains that predate the last Ice Age.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I didn’t know Native Americans did young earth creationism

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Chamale posted:

She's right, though. Homo sapiens came to North America on boats before the Bering Straight land bridge was accessible, they've found remains that predate the last Ice Age.

I know that part, it's just that she also disputes the boats in order to say that humans evolved in the Americas as well as Africa.

fermun has issued a correction as of 23:55 on Sep 30, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

fermun posted:

I know that part, it's just that she also disputes the boats in order to say that humans evolved in the Americas as well as Africa.

It doesn't seem that she is saying that:

https://twitter.com/Kisha890/status/1380659213475721219

But don't worry, that thread still has an extremely hot take:

https://twitter.com/duane_moody/status/1388226881820844037

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

i have bad news for this dude about regular disneyland

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
But if the idea that americans migrated here is casting them as settlers, then how does that change if they came here 150k years ago instead of 50k years ago

like is it just that it's >100 and that seems like a lot?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

indigi posted:

I didn’t know Native Americans did young earth creationism

A lot of them struggle to reconcile science and traditional beliefs but in my experience tend to be like "oh, so we actually have a common ancestor with salmon, rather than literally being the group of people who were originally salmon and became human."

e: I also have serious doubts about the bering land bridge hypothesis because humans managed to spread all the way from Asia to loving Hawaii by boat, and have demonstrable means of navigating vast distances. Likewise we have indisputable evidence humans have travelled from Europe to North America repeatedly before Columbus. There's no need for a loving land bridge. Unless we're still under the delusion that it doesn't count until the Pope finds out and rules on what parts go to Spain and which to Portugal.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 00:35 on Oct 1, 2021

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Chamale posted:

ehhh they probably still crossed by way of the land bridge, just sailed/walked along the coast of it in the first wave rather than taking the classically understood inland route (which still has evidence of use but was obviously used after the ancestors of the people who left those recently dated footprints)

Either they evolved in Africa and then settled the Americas or they evolved separately and the race scientists from 100 years ago were right. There’s no way for both “originated in Africa” and “were always in the Americas” to be true.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Internet Wizard posted:

Either they evolved in Africa and then settled the Americas or they evolved separately and the race scientists from 100 years ago were right. There’s no way for both “originated in Africa” and “were always in the Americas” to be true.

I don't know the full details, but the "out of Africa" hypothesis does have some competition or recent complicating evidence of some sort. I'll see if I can Google up any substance to it.

There's also a complication in that we weren't even the only human species that we know of. As a person of European decent, I'm one of many people who have Neanderthal ancestry. So were my ancestors from Africa (homo sapiens sapiens) or Europe (homo sapiens neanderthalensis)? The answer is "both."

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

I don't know the full details, but the "out of Africa" hypothesis does have some competition or recent complicating evidence of some sort. I'll see if I can Google up any substance to it.

There's also a complication in that we weren't even the only human species that we know of. As a person of European decent, I'm one of many people who have Neanderthal ancestry. So were my ancestors from Africa (homo sapiens sapiens) or Europe (homo sapiens neanderthalensis)? The answer is "both."

the main question with the OOA theory is whether H erectus populations in Asia and Europe were replaced by a wave(s) of sapiens from Africa, or if all of the erectus populations evolved into sapiens roughly at the same time

either way sapiens has completely replaced all of the other hominids (except maybe some Neanderthal or Denisovan holdovers) by the time the Americas were settled. I’m not aware of any DNA evidence of Neanderthal or Denisovan mingling with American peoples (with the exception of possibly some Inuit populations). I’d love to know if there’s any though

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Internet Wizard posted:

the main question with the OOA theory is whether H erectus populations in Asia and Europe were replaced by a wave(s) of sapiens from Africa, or if all of the erectus populations evolved into sapiens roughly at the same time

either way sapiens has completely replaced all of the other hominids (except maybe some Neanderthal or Denisovan holdovers) by the time the Americas were settled. I’m not aware of any DNA evidence of Neanderthal or Denisovan mingling with American peoples (with the exception of possibly some Inuit populations). I’d love to know if there’s any though

It appears that per Wikipedia, Native American people have Neanderthal DNA; exactly how this occurred doesn't seem to be settled:

quote:

The 2010 Neanderthal genome project's draft report presented evidence for interbreeding between Neanderthals and modern humans.[76][77][78] It possibly occurred 316–219 thousand years ago,[79] but more likely 100,000 years ago and again 65,000 years ago.[80] Neanderthals also appear to have interbred with Denisovans, a different group of archaic humans, in Siberia.[81][82] Around 1–4% of genomes of Eurasians, Australo-Melanesians, Native Americans, and North Africans are Neanderthal genes, while the inhabitants of sub-Saharan Africa have none, save possible traces from early Sapiens-to-Neanderthal gene flow and/or more recent back-migration of Eurasians to Africa. In all, about 20% of distinctly Neanderthal genes survive today.[83] Although many of the genes inherited from Neanderthals may have been detrimental and selected out,[71] Neanderthal introgression appears to have affected the modern human immune system,[84][85][86][87] and is also implicated in several other biological functions and structures,[88] but a large portion appears to be non-coding DNA.[89]

e: the coolest thing I leaned Googling this was that Neaderthals managed to navigate the Mediterranian, among other accomplishments. This despite rarely living past 40 due to the stress and trauma of their environments and knowledge level.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 01:06 on Oct 1, 2021

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Cool, thanks. Looks like I have some more studies to add to my read pile.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Internet Wizard posted:

Cool, thanks. Looks like I have some more studies to add to my read pile.

i love curiosity. at least one part of me is well served by our society.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

Neanderthals are from Africa also. All apes are African. I understand you’re saying that neanderthals came to Europe before h sapiens, but that’s very different from saying that there are multiple independent origins of hominids on the Earth. They’re all basically the same because they all had kids together.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

there's at least 3 species of other humans that homo sapiens interbred with, neanderthal, denisovan, and the so-far unnamed species in subsaharan africa that has no fossil evidence for but a lot of dna evidence for. I don't think that really complicates the out of africa hypothesis at all though, neanderthals and denisovans evolved from hominids that came out of africa as well even

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
Yeah, that seems to be the dominant model, with strong evidence.

Looking at bit into it, it seems like there is an alternative Multiregional Hypothesis. I'm not sure how credible it is, but it seems to be lazily dismissed as polygeyny at least some of the time? Even if so, a lazy attack doesn't validate the theory, of course.

It does seem to acknowledge Africa as important to the development of human species, though, but also points to evidence of human species existing and evolving for a much larger time outside of Africa than the Out of Africa model (which seems to be more precisely termed the Recent African Origin Hypothesis).

Given that Denisovians lived as far from Africa as Indonesia, possibly even New Guinea and Australia, that at least seems credible.

Its just me googling and not infallible, but the sources I find on Devisonians originating in Africa seems to be explicitly based assumptions rather than presenting the evidence that presumably leads to that assumption to be credible.

e: this isn't evidence of anything since even assuming it's true it could have taken place in Africa before migration. It's cool though:

quote:

Additionally, 4% of the Denisovan genome comes from an unknown archaic human species which diverged from modern humans over one million years ago.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 04:35 on Oct 1, 2021

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Weka posted:

The British, at least at the time, were opposed to westward expansion and genociding natives, so it's both unclear north America would have been unified and almost certainly a better outcome. Possibly an earlier end to slavery.

The British, a country so imperialistic that the majority of countries that currently exist have fought a war with them, were never going to be the lesser of two evils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
Okay yeah, this just plain up destroys the (recent) African Origin for non-anatomically modern humans (the evidence for anatomically modern humans originating is Africa is well established):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_luzonensis

quote:

Their ancestors, who may have been Asian H. erectus or some other even earlier Homo, would have needed to have made a sea crossing of several miles at minimum to reach the island. Human presence on Luzon dates to at latest 771,000 to 631,000 years ago.[4] The inhabitants of the cave dragged in mainly Philippine deer carcasses, and used tools for butchering.

Luzon is in the Phillipines. Humans, albeit not our species of humans, got around much of the world a good 400,000 years before anatomically modern humans existed.