Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

How do they ship them from the factory in the first place? :confused:

They're most likely shipped with the relevant paperwork, stamps and signage. You probably can ship it yourself, as they're certified to whatever standard. But good luck taking a box with "EXPLOSIVES" written on it to a post office.

The TechAir manual says they're certified to whatever standard and you can take them when you travel, but you need to carry the manual (as proof) and the vest itself as carry-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I was just looking at that

I wonder why Dainese falls under the "dangerous goods" categorization while the Alpinestars does not. The A* vest has both more coverage and has two charges vs just one.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

How do they ship them from the factory in the first place? :confused:
VERY CAREFULLY :xd:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

VERY CAREFULLY :xd:

goddammit

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

WHAT IN THE gently caress IS THIS?!

Obviously it must be the kangaroo leather but you have to be making GBS threads me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Obviously it must be the kangaroo leather but you have to be making GBS threads me.

lmao gonna start bootlegging good gloves to california now

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

lmao gonna start bootlegging good gloves to california now

Don't you mean glovearming

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

That ban has been around for a long time, but there was a moratorium put in place in like 2007 after Nike, Adidas, and a bunch of other sportswear manufacturers lobbied for it so they could sell shoes and stuff made with kangaroo leather. The moratorium expired 5 years ago.

Honestly it's dumb - the leather comes from species of kangaroos that are harvested/culled and have populations numbering in the millions. Hell, a more-sizeable-than-you'd-expect chunk of Oz's exports consist of 'roo meat. Someone just thought they looked cute and fuzzy, I guess?

edit: VV this is mostly correct (there are 4 species that are harvested as best I can tell) and I've edited my statement above, but the majority of kangaroo species aren't what you'd immediately identify as a kangaroo: https://theconversation.com/yes-kangaroos-are-endangered-but-not-the-species-you-think-93203

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 30, 2021

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Most species of roo are endangered afaik. There’s one that is culled and onsold as hide/meat.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MomJeans420 posted:

land of the free lmfao

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Excuse you thats Commiefornia

(I wish :smith:)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol californians

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Phy posted:

Don't you mean glovearming

No it would be glovehanding.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

No it would be glovehanding.

But it isn't bootfooting

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jazzzzz posted:

the leather comes from species of kangaroos that are harvested/culled and have populations numbering in the millions.

That before or after the late 19 early 2020 bushfires that were as close to hell on earth that any of us has ever seen?

That article is from 2018 and frankly I wouldn't be so sure now since some estimates put the animal death toll from those fires at over 1 billion.

Worst fire in AU history somewhat overshadowed by global pandemic.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 1, 2021

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Okay I know COVID and all but what the gently caress is up Revzilla's stock issues? I've been trying to buy a rear-stand for a couple months now and they're all sold out.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Okay I know COVID and all but what the gently caress is up Revzilla's stock issues? I've been trying to buy a rear-stand for a couple months now and they're all sold out.

Man, the global supply chain is literally on the brink of collapse. Mobile so I don't have any good links, but it ain't specifically COVID, there are tons of factors causing all of this.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

right arm posted:

Lol californians

Apparently we can't get ozone generators anymore either (or more likely they have to be CARB approved and all sorts of bullshit) so my sister had my other sister in Nevada ship one in to California so she could remove all smells from the dog car she was selling. I also don't vape but my buddies who vape have had tons of issues getting parts shipped to their house if someone isn't available to sign for it. Pretty much every day you wake up and find something else banned, which is why it's funny CA has allowed lane splitting for so long. I've always said if motorcycles were invented today there is a 0% chance they'd be legal here.

bengy81 posted:

Man, the global supply chain is literally on the brink of collapse. Mobile so I don't have any good links, but it ain't specifically COVID, there are tons of factors causing all of this.

Bloomberg is shockingly bad for anything requiring the tiniest bit of nuance in your understanding (technology, energy, guns, etc.) but their Odd Lots podcast is actually very good on global supply chain issues:
https://www.bloomberg.com/oddlots-podcast

And I say this as someone who is still extremely unimpressed with their Super Micro allegations, among other issues.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Half a year ago I bought a back protector but only kept it in my jacket about half the time because it was just a little too bulky.

The other day I'm killing time and looking over my gear and realize it's bulky because my jacket already had a useless bit of foam in there to fill out the space. :downs:

Back protector fits pretty well now.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
My old cold-weather gloves have finally worn out so I'm looking for something new, anyone have suggestions? I'm in Seattle so waterproof is vital (I'm willing to pay for Gore-Tex if it will keep me dry and comfortable,) and the bike has heated grips so something that works well with those would be nice.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Airbag chat. It seems like a few of us have the different airbag options covered, so I’m curious as to everyone’s opinions and experiences with theirs so far.

I bought a Tech-Air Race vest last month, and I rode with it the first time yesterday. Compared with a back and chest protector, it is definitely a comfort-concession. My back protector mostly conforms to my back, but the airbag vest is practically rigid, with a 3-4 built-in (limited) articulation points. When you’re on the bike it’s basically fine, but off bike you can’t help but feel it. It’s also heavy in comparison. I don’t have a scale, but it feels like my suit w/ airbag weighs nearly 20lbs/9kg. It’s also pretty hard to get the suit off due to the lack of flexibility along the back. The suit doesn't fold back and bottom of the vest is stuck on the top of your butt. When you do slip the top off, it sags down instead of folding over, again because of the rigidity.

The airbag also blocks airflow, which I guess is obvious. It didn’t seem like it blocked enough to render the perforations useless, but something to consider.

I would definitely not recommend the Tech-Air Race/Street for street riding (street vest is basically the same as far as I can tell, just different firmware/algorithm; you can run both firmwares on the race vest, but street only on the street). It’s fine for track. A little disappointing, though, because I was hoping I could just swap it out from my suit to my jacket, but I’ll stick with traditional armor for now for the street.

I’m really curious how the Tech-Air 5 feels in comparison. Just looking at pictures of it, it looks like they focused a lot on revising the comfort of it. The back looks smaller and more flexible. In fact it looks like Alpinestars is moving away from the zip-in vests entirely. Their newest jackets and suits which are “Tech-Air compatible” are designed for Tech-Air 5 only.

I will say if you have a Tech-Air jacket/suit, it does integrate pretty nicely, and with the race vest you get two discharges before you have to send it in for service (Tech-Air 5 is one only). I also like the modularity of it, so if you do need to send it in, you still have your suit/jacket and can use it with normal armor if you want (compared with Dainese where you send in the entire suit/jacket).

I’m curious how D-Air stuff feels, comfort wise. Their “smart jacket” looks like you’d hardly notice it at all, but it also doesn’t have any passive protection (if it were to fail to deploy, you have no protection, whereas tech-air at least has an integrated back protector). I had a chance to try out a D-Air suit, which I now kind of regret not trying.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have a D-air jacket (the Racing 3 model) which has stopped working. Apart from it not working currently, comfort wise it's great and the jacket is not really any less comfortable than a leather jacket. I would think it's a bit less breathable due to the airbag. The mechanism is built into a back protector. Also the jacket itself is really nice.

But yeah, not working, you can't post it back to them and I haven't got a response from Dainese customer service since I reported the problem a few days ago.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Toe Rag posted:

Airbag chat. It seems like a few of us have the different airbag options covered, so I’m curious as to everyone’s opinions and experiences with theirs so far.

I bought a Tech-Air Race vest last month, and I rode with it the first time yesterday. Compared with a back and chest protector, it is definitely a comfort-concession. My back protector mostly conforms to my back, but the airbag vest is practically rigid, with a 3-4 built-in (limited) articulation points. When you’re on the bike it’s basically fine, but off bike you can’t help but feel it. It’s also heavy in comparison. I don’t have a scale, but it feels like my suit w/ airbag weighs nearly 20lbs/9kg. It’s also pretty hard to get the suit off due to the lack of flexibility along the back. The suit doesn't fold back and bottom of the vest is stuck on the top of your butt. When you do slip the top off, it sags down instead of folding over, again because of the rigidity.

The airbag also blocks airflow, which I guess is obvious. It didn’t seem like it blocked enough to render the perforations useless, but something to consider.

I would definitely not recommend the Tech-Air Race/Street for street riding (street vest is basically the same as far as I can tell, just different firmware/algorithm; you can run both firmwares on the race vest, but street only on the street). It’s fine for track. A little disappointing, though, because I was hoping I could just swap it out from my suit to my jacket, but I’ll stick with traditional armor for now for the street.

I’m really curious how the Tech-Air 5 feels in comparison. Just looking at pictures of it, it looks like they focused a lot on revising the comfort of it. The back looks smaller and more flexible. In fact it looks like Alpinestars is moving away from the zip-in vests entirely. Their newest jackets and suits which are “Tech-Air compatible” are designed for Tech-Air 5 only.

I will say if you have a Tech-Air jacket/suit, it does integrate pretty nicely, and with the race vest you get two discharges before you have to send it in for service (Tech-Air 5 is one only). I also like the modularity of it, so if you do need to send it in, you still have your suit/jacket and can use it with normal armor if you want (compared with Dainese where you send in the entire suit/jacket).

I’m curious how D-Air stuff feels, comfort wise. Their “smart jacket” looks like you’d hardly notice it at all, but it also doesn’t have any passive protection (if it were to fail to deploy, you have no protection, whereas tech-air at least has an integrated back protector). I had a chance to try out a D-Air suit, which I now kind of regret not trying.

Jumping in this thread-- I wish I had stopped by the Alpinestar vendor tent at MotoGP at COTA this past weekend, but the thought hadn't crossed my mind to look into the airbag vests because I thought they would be significantly more expensive than they are. However, after seeing the crashes on the back straight of CoTA in the Moto3 race-- and having seen similar pileups happen at a CoTA trackday in July I'm starting to think an airbag couldn't hurt. :)

I've essentially inherited my brother's A* Atem race suit the he purchased in 2014. Going off of Alpinestar's product listing this suit is not compatible with the Tech-Air Race airbag system, but is it possible it could still be used? I'm not sure how the Tech-Air Race fastens to the suit. The Atem has a zip-in mesh body suit that goes between you and the leathers. I wear a Moto-D undersuit and a Forcefield back protector. Is there a third set of zippers for the vest to zip into the compatible leathers? Is it conceivable to wear the race vest inside the leathers of a suit that isn't necessarily compatible, or do the compatible leathers have additional space built to account for the airbag while still having conventional armor?

Not sure if these are stupid questions. I'm sure there's a lot of considerations to what makes a suit compatible with the system, but if I could avoid buying new leathers that would be neat. I'm also primarily only doing trackdays anymore-- since most of my friends that I might have ridden with on the street have given up their bikes.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 6, 2021

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

As far as I can tell, you cannot wear the Tech-Air Race vest without a compatible garment. I imagine the street is the same. The vest actually plugs into the suit/jacket for the status LED. However, it seems like that LED chip also "completes" the connection, because when I tried to charge the vest stand-alone, it didn't seem to do anything. Only after I hooked it up to my suit did it actually charge.

That said, you can wear the Tech-Air 5 with anything with enough expansion space, which they define as 4cm of space around the circumference of your body. So depending on the fit of your suit, you might be able to wear that. The Tech-Air 5 can also switch between street and race algorithms, which is what you want.

Cycle Gear has them in stock, so go there with your suit and try it on. I wouldn't try to squeeze one into a suit without the appropriate space, though. If it goes off with no expansion, you'll probably break your seams and/or ribs, defeating the point.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

I haven't got a response from Dainese customer service since I reported the problem a few days ago.

They did actually get back to be immediately after I posted this, so looks like I have a trip over Furkka and Gotthard passes to Lugano in my near future.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Toe Rag posted:

As far as I can tell, you cannot wear the Tech-Air Race vest without a compatible garment. I imagine the street is the same. The vest actually plugs into the suit/jacket for the status LED. However, it seems like that LED chip also "completes" the connection, because when I tried to charge the vest stand-alone, it didn't seem to do anything. Only after I hooked it up to my suit did it actually charge.

That said, you can wear the Tech-Air 5 with anything with enough expansion space, which they define as 4cm of space around the circumference of your body. So depending on the fit of your suit, you might be able to wear that. The Tech-Air 5 can also switch between street and race algorithms, which is what you want.

Cycle Gear has them in stock, so go there with your suit and try it on. I wouldn't try to squeeze one into a suit without the appropriate space, though. If it goes off with no expansion, you'll probably break your seams and/or ribs, defeating the point.

Very cool, I'll see if my local Cycle Gear has them in stock.

would the airbag negate the use of conventional chest protectors that I have in my suit, or would you still leave those in, assuming there is enough space in the suit to do so?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The airbag has chest coverage, so I took mine out. However that leaves you exposed to any airborne debris since the airbag can't predict/detect that. I guess that's your call depending on how it fits.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

BabelFish posted:

My old cold-weather gloves have finally worn out so I'm looking for something new, anyone have suggestions? I'm in Seattle so waterproof is vital (I'm willing to pay for Gore-Tex if it will keep me dry and comfortable,) and the bike has heated grips so something that works well with those would be nice.

Looks like your question got buried under the airbag chat, but I have these stupidly named things and they got me through snowpocalypse 2019 in Olympia without any heated grips

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-powerxross-gloves

I might not buy them now because of Klim's horrifying dystopic subscription airbag vest decisions, but no ethical consumption yadda yadda

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Newbie gear roundup:

Arai Quantum-X helmet - I decided to ball out on my first helmet because my head is already enormous (XXL/63-64cm size), so something that's light and Arai's design/marketing of intending to make impacts glance off was appealing. The more round shape of this one fits me like it was custom made for my head.

Bilt Nomad Air jacket - This has leather on the chest, shoulders, and down across the outer arms, with mesh everywhere else. Pads in the shoulders and elbows, and I added a D30 pad in the back. Removable thermal lining and in the XXL size it just fits, and there are snaps on the side to bring it in a bit which I'm planning on using as I continue to slowly lose weight.

Alpinestars SPX Air Carbon gloves - I wanted good to great gloves, and I think these suffice. Extra hard bits on the tops of the fingers and knuckles, palm sliders, and the L size fits perfectly. Very comfortable in what little I've used them so far.

Icon Tarmac boots - well, they're boots, and seem decently protective.

I haven't yet decided on pants, mainly because I'm torn between jeans or just getting some mesh. Also I'm still fat and the local Cycle Gear doesn't really have anything on hand in the 42-44 size and at my current rate of weight loss I'm probably 4-6 months away from being able to drop down to a 40, so I can't really try on anything until after it arrives.

I'm thinking I might use Christmas as an excuse to get more of a full length boot as well.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Quantum-X is really nice if you're a round oval bighead. It is an inferior helmet to any helmet Shoei makes, but until the day Shoei decides to start making other shell shapes (lol) such is life.

After years of making do with an RF-1200 it's nice to have found a helmet that fits perfectly rather than "mitigated suffering".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

Quantum-X is really nice if you're a round oval bighead. It is an inferior helmet to any helmet Shoei makes, but until the day Shoei decides to start making other shell shapes (lol) such is life.

After years of making do with an RF-1200 it's nice to have found a helmet that fits perfectly rather than "mitigated suffering".

Shoei make at least two completely different shapes - the GT-Air fits me like it's been custom-made, the Neotec feels like it was made for Stewie Griffin in comparison. This has been the case for years now - the TXR that was my first non-poo poo helmet is still the most comfortable lid I've ever worn, the "race" helmet they made in the 90s (NX something, maybe?) was almost identical to an Arai in terms of fit.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
from what i could tell, the shells are a little different but they are all variations of "intermediate oval" and the current evolution of that in the RF-1400 is now too severe for my head where the 1200 was fine and I could last all day riding in it even though it wasn't quite right.

the more acute angle towards the jaw line of the bottom front of the 1400 is the problem for me

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

from what i could tell, the shells are a little different but they are all variations of "intermediate oval" and the current evolution of that in the RF-1400 is now too severe for my head where the 1200 was fine and I could last all day riding in it even though it wasn't quite right.

the more acute angle towards the jaw line of the bottom front of the 1400 is the problem for me

Give the GT-Air (well I suppose the GT-Air 2 now) a go - like I say for me, the Neotec (which I *think* is the same shell as the RF1400) was still tight at the front but with a massive gap either side in whatever the biggest size they had in the shop when I tried one, but the GT-Air fits me almost perfectly (teeny tiny bit loose on the crown which means it doesn't feel quite as comfy as the TXR - I'm always aware of a very, very slight amount of pressure all around because it's sitting there instead of across my entire head, but I assume that's for the really, really good ventilation it gives).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Can't wait to pick up an rf1400 when more colors are in stock some day. Tried one on in cyclegear and it felt made for my noggin.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

So are the CWR-F2 shields for the RF-1400 just never going to be in stock for anything other than clear? I know it's been a crazy year for supply chains but if you bought a RF-1400 right when they came out it looks like you're going to end up going a whole year without a tinted option. Shoei really dropped the ball on this one.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Looks like your question got buried under the airbag chat, but I have these stupidly named things and they got me through snowpocalypse 2019 in Olympia without any heated grips

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-powerxross-gloves

I might not buy them now because of Klim's horrifying dystopic subscription airbag vest decisions, but no ethical consumption yadda yadda

I ended up going with Alpinestars WR-1s, mostly because this is what the local cyclegear had with a wrist slider and pinky brace. I'll have to remember those Klims though!

Toe Rag posted:

Airbag chat.

I own a Helite Turtle 2 and so far it's been great. Not too heavy or hot, no batteries or subscriptions to worry about, and the inflation volume handily beats out other smaller vests, particularly around the neck.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BabelFish posted:

I own a Helite Turtle 2 and so far it's been great. Not too heavy or hot, no batteries or subscriptions to worry about, and the inflation volume handily beats out other smaller vests, particularly around the neck.

I want to pick one of these up too. You said not too hot, but I assume it blocks some airflow? So it's a few degrees hotter?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Russian Bear posted:

I want to pick one of these up too. You said not too hot, but I assume it blocks some airflow? So it's a few degrees hotter?

Basically no chest airflow whatsoever, as it has to be airtight by nature.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

SEKCobra posted:

Basically no chest airflow whatsoever, as it has to be airtight by nature.

The vest itself blocks air, but it clips together in the middle of the chest so that helps a lot. It’s hotter, but I’ve worn it over my mesh jacket during summer without discomfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was browsing RevZilla today for gloves other than Handroids (which have kangaroo) so I could get something shipped directly to me and every single pair I was considering had something that kept it from being shipped to California. I take hand safety seriously (even before my crash) so I wear full gauntlet gloves no matter what else I'm wearing gear-wise (same with feet/boots most of the time). At least this makes it easy to just decide on shipping Handroids to a family member to send to me, they fit me right out of the box and require zero break-in compared to the A* I've used.

The Held Phantom II gloves looked very nice too, but funnily enough they just have a CARB warning - "This product is legal in California only for racing vehicles which may never be used, registered or licensed for use upon a highway." The real problem here is if I could get the Helds shipped to me I'd just get a few sizes shipped straight to me and return the ones that don't fit, but if I have to go through a family member that's way too much work. From Held's hand size chart my hand circumference vs hand length sizes are pretty far apart so I'm not sure how well they'd fit anyway.