Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

OGDanDogg posted:

Well now I want a goat.

You don't want that goat- he's already killed once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

knuthgrush posted:

they're under a pretty heavy load. when one of mine broke, it sounded like a shotgun went off. i tried to unload the second one to replace the two and it shot across the room and put a hole through the drywall and took a chunk out of a stud. i'm glad it didn't hit me. i called a pro.

Yeah, one of ours came undone and the repairman said we were lucky it didn't slam into the car, because it would have caused some damage. Makes me super paranoid hanging out in there when we open or close it, even though we got a new door and springs; ours screeches horrendously as well, which I'm not sure how to fix.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, one of ours came undone and the repairman said we were lucky it didn't slam into the car, because it would have caused some damage. Makes me super paranoid hanging out in there when we open or close it, even though we got a new door and springs; ours screeches horrendously as well, which I'm not sure how to fix.

Like with most friction problems, use more lube.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Anyone skeptical of garage door spring potential energy has never tried to open a garage door with the spring missing.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I work on dangerous mechanical poo poo at work all day and I still call a guy to do my garage door springs.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

A Strange Aeon posted:

Silicone lubricant will fix that squeak right up. Don’t use WD-40.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

My wife is a professional welder and called someone to fix our garage spring, they're kind of crazy and they're basically always under some load.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Are you guys talking about the coil springs on a roll up door, or the ground level springs on a flat flip up door (like houses built in the 60s had). I can see the issue with the coil springs but I've replaced numerous ground level springs and never had an issue.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Panaflex posted:

Are you guys talking about the coil springs on a roll up door, or the ground level springs on a flat flip up door (like houses built in the 60s had). I can see the issue with the coil springs but I've replaced numerous ground level springs and never had an issue.

The coil springs on a roll up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm so excited I fixed the springs on my flip up door. I can't wait to get the starter crank out and go for a nice Sunday drive in my Model T.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Silicone lubricant will fix that squeak right up. Don’t use WD-40.

Where does the lubricant go? I'd love to quiet the hellish screech, I'm just not sure where to put the lube.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

hell astro course posted:

are garage door springs really that dangerous to replace?

My neighbor tried to change hers and it snapped back and hit her in the face and her eye was filled with blood for like a month so I am scared of garage door springs now.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

A Strange Aeon posted:

Where does the lubricant go? I'd love to quiet the hellish screech, I'm just not sure where to put the lube.

Probably in the tracks.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

A Strange Aeon posted:

Lube the wheels that run in the tracks where they meet the track. You shouldn’t need much. Run the door up and down a few times afterwards. If it’s still screeching you might need to do some listening but you should be able to pinpoint it eventually. I do mine maybe once or twice a year.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

pile of brown posted:

My neighbor tried to change hers and it snapped back and hit her in the face and her eye was filled with blood for like a month so I am scared of garage door springs now.

A place I rented like 12 years ago had extension springs and one of them let go when I was in the garage. Punched a hole clear through the wall. That was the day I decided to never gently caress around with garage door springs.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Garage doors seem to have a huge reputation as murder death traps.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rockman Reserve posted:

My wife is a professional welder and called someone to fix our garage spring, they're kind of crazy and they're basically always under some load.

Hell yeah blue collar wife

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Elder Postsman posted:

A place I rented like 12 years ago had extension springs and one of them let go when I was in the garage. Punched a hole clear through the wall. That was the day I decided to never gently caress around with garage door springs.

This is exactly what went off in my garage. We have the rolled up springs now and I'm not gonna mess with those either.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I moved to Morrison this summer to "get away from it all" (urban types) but I never expected it to be so crazy!!!! I hear very loud "rock and roll" music even late into the night!!!!!! I called the sheriff on them (i'm no "coward") but he saide "you live within a mile of the most famous outdoor concert venue in the entire world and there's nothing I can do for you" I back the blue but that was very rude!!!! We neeed to put an end to this craziness whos with me!??

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Riatsala posted:

I moved to Morrison this summer to "get away from it all" (urban types) but I never expected it to be so crazy!!!! I hear very loud "rock and roll" music even late into the night!!!!!! I called the sheriff on them (i'm no "coward") but he saide "you live within a mile of the most famous outdoor concert venue in the entire world and there's nothing I can do for you" I back the blue but that was very rude!!!! We neeed to put an end to this craziness whos with me!??

This goes beyond NextDoor

https://imfromdenver.com/red-rocks-is-asking-attendees-to-wear-headphones-to-help-with-noise-ordinance/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Do people still do bootlegs? That's a dream setup right there.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

hell astro course posted:

Garage doors seem to have a huge reputation as murder death traps.

It's one of those things where they don't often go wrong, but when they do go wrong it's catastrophic and you're lucky if you only lose a finger.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Silly Newbie posted:

It's one of those things where they don't often go wrong, but when they do go wrong it's catastrophic and you're lucky if you only lose a finger.

Yeah, home owners should make sure they pay the few extra cents for the garage door provision, it's carved out of most insurance policies for some reason. It could really screw up your car or your body if something goes wrong.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, home owners should make sure they pay the few extra cents for the garage door provision

What’s the garage door provision?

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Peg Sliderskew posted:

You don't want that goat- he's already killed once.

Pretty sure that's a gang tattoo under its eye.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

lmao

My second favorite (because it's also within nextdoor range) are the new folks in Golden complaining about all the beer-centric festivals and bars everywhere (guess where the largest brewery in the world is)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the nimby/noise ordinance poo poo sucks obviously but i have been to so many shows where headphones with a direct feed from the board would have been a massive improvement thats cool that its possible now

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

What’s the garage door provision?

I'm assuming he means like a provision in the homeowner's insurance.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I was using exaggeration to underscore how damaging a garage door spring could be, I would imagine standard homeowners insurance would cover stuff happening in your garage, assuming it's attached to the house, though I guess I don't know that for sure. Sorry for any confusion!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

I'm pretty sure I've seen a scene from one of the Scream wannabe movies that came out around the same time where someone was impaled by a garage door spring. I tried to find it, but couldn't get any hits.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

evobatman posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen a scene from one of the Scream wannabe movies that came out around the same time where someone was impaled by a garage door spring. I tried to find it, but couldn't get any hits.

I think it was an X-Files episode

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I was guessing final destination

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Clear almost bites it in a garage because of a wire in the first Final Destination, but it wasn't the garage door spring.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

That's what happens when you whiff a nair to Luigi.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Police uniform.
Can you please let our cops put on long sleeves. For some reason, maybe just uniform code. Our police in town must remain in short sleeves until given notice. Well, for the the ones in particular that cross our children in the early morning. Can you please move that date up. Thanks

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

on a thread about Entergy

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Riatsala posted:

LOL, reminds me of the shitbirds that moved next to Paine Field (home of the massive Boeing factory) and constantly complained about the noise - only a few flights/day. When PAE was opened to light commercial traffic, they would file false noise complaints based on the scheduled takeoff/landings page. They were found out because many times a flight would leave early or late or be cancelled and still get the noise complaint.

When you move next to a port, a gun range, an outdoor concert venue, a fairground, etc, quit whining about it. You knew it was there when you moved in.

*Fun fact - larger commercial aircraft can often be much quieter than smaller business jets. Like the difference between a bus and a modified Honda Civic.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

When PAE was opened to light commercial traffic, they would file false noise complaints based on the scheduled takeoff/landings page. They were found out because many times a flight would leave early or late or be cancelled and still get the noise complaint.

lmao, reminds me of the community presentation the local airport gives: "We get 10,000 complaints a year to our noise hotline" *next slide* "98% of these calls are from the same 7 individuals"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

gowb posted:

on a thread about Entergy

As someone who lives in NOLA, the"they are regulated." got me. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...sure. Sure they are.