Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The problem with pre-prints is there is enough of them you can simply think of an opinion, do a search on the databases then locate a pre-print with support of that opinion.

If you want ten preprints supporting ivermectin they are there, if you want preprints saying masks only provide 4% protection you can find that. Being able to find a large number of preprints doesn't support something being true and that makes it really easy for someone with a pre-decided opinion to find any number of unpublished studies on the legitimate medical databases written in official sounding terms supporting whatever it is they want to appear true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!
Buglord
Yo Coldrice have you thought about making a thread about it in Games? I think you'd get a lot of attention there too.

e: Not saying you shouldn't post about it in here! Just saying that I think goons would be really receptive to a goon made game on a really immediate situation we're all dealing with. Seems like that amount of work should be rewarded with a lot of attention outside of the D&D nerds.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Yo Coldrice have you thought about making a thread about it in Games? I think you'd get a lot of attention there too.

e: Not saying you shouldn't post only in here! Just saying that I think goons would be really receptive to a goon made game on a really immediate situation we're all dealing with. Seems like that amount of work should be rewarded with a lot of attention outside of the D&D nerds.

I could - it’s a bit niche I dunno how much people are interested ha ha

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean really it's kind of silly that more people aren't inherently skeptical of this stuff given there's probably quite a few of us that grew up seeing local news reporting breathlessly on "now scientists say eggs are good for you. Gosh, will they ever make up their mind?" or "New study shows chocolate makes your dick bigger." But as you pointed out, Covid is friggin huge and lots of research is getting pumped into just about anything covid related.

There's plenty of people who are inherently skeptical of published studies, especially when it comes to COVID, in exactly the way you're describing here.

A lot of them are anti-maskers or vaccine skeptics, because "inherent skepticism" is very easy to take too far, and is often focused on scientific sources rather than being a general wide-ranging distrust.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!
Buglord

Coldrice posted:

I dunno man. Goons are pretty supportive with goon-made things, just your most recent post alone could be retooled into an OP without much fuss. You aren't charging anything right now anyways. It might be niche in playstyle but we have enough threads for every type of game under the sun, and every goon on planet earth right now is pretty involved with covid. I'd value it more over the anime titty games threads but thats just me :shobon:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Main Paineframe posted:

There's plenty of people who are inherently skeptical of published studies, especially when it comes to COVID, in exactly the way you're describing here.

A lot of them are anti-maskers or vaccine skeptics, because "inherent skepticism" is very easy to take too far, and is often focused on scientific sources rather than being a general wide-ranging distrust.

I think the thread has thus far demonstrated that most of the posters here are capable of skepticism without falling into the trap that vaccine skeptics and anti-maskers do. If anyone feels otherwise, feel free to call it out when it's applicable.

Coldrice posted:

Also please do not worry about being spammy in here. It's not an incredibly fast moving thread to begin with and your game seems to be a big hit with the regular posters here.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Coldrice posted:

I think it would be nice to see it all in one place, so we could keep track of development. I also think there's a broader audience that might be both interested in it and learn something new from it.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Main Paineframe posted:

That works by much the same mechanism - picking and choosing studies that support your claims and ignoring evidence to the contrary (in the case of anti-mask and anti-vaxx, mountains of evidence to the contrary). As well as relying on misinterpretations or straight up lovely/fraudulent science (see: vaccines cause autism).

There's a difference between reading science critically and skepticism. Though I would argue that a lot of self-described "skeptics" are actually cynics and are not able to be persuaded by evidence, this is certainly true in climate science.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's a lot of ways to be a skeptic in all degrees of faith, but if I had to pick one of the more common dismissals of anything and everything that frustrates me especially it's "I'm doing my own research" which 100% does not in fact include even pre-prints

Coldrice posted:

Covid Simulator Update! Everything is running along smoothly - I’ve been trying not to spam things up here - so here’s what I’ve added since I posted last

In addition to dramatically improving the realism of how the virus spreads, there’s some new stuff that is currently live on the current released version

Workers now take their mask off when eating

(snip)

Random "youtube" videos which play during key events in the game. I'd like to keep adding to this as time goes on just to give some character, as well as something silly to break up the game a bit

Covid Simulator is free at: https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator

Just quoting this so it doesn't get buried at the end of the last page

If you're not sure where it'd fit in Games but you're interested in maybe seeing if people there may also enjoy it, reach out to a mod there (or I can do so on your behalf) and they'll know for sure

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz the Horse posted:

That works by much the same mechanism - picking and choosing studies that support your claims and ignoring evidence to the contrary (in the case of anti-mask and anti-vaxx, mountains of evidence to the contrary). As well as relying on misinterpretations or straight up lovely/fraudulent science (see: vaccines cause autism).

There's a difference between reading science critically and skepticism. Though I would argue that a lot of self-described "skeptics" are actually cynics and are not able to be persuaded by evidence, this is certainly true in climate science.

I also want to note that one cannot read studies critically unless they have training in that field. Epidemiology and immunology are especially complex subjects, and accurately interpreting a study's results requires a lot of real-world experience and intuition that outsiders, even other scientists, will lack. As such, they will not be able to properly contextualize the findings.

That's what makes pre-prints so risky to propagate and casually discuss in a setting like this. Even if you manage to sift through the "surface-level" stuff like sample size, methodology, etc. there's still a really high chance that the conclusions will not mean what you think they mean.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
While I agree with you broadly I would say that methodology is very much not a surface-level thing. IME the most challenging parts of critically analyzing scientific literature in a field you're not an expert in are 1) evaluating the methodology and 2) putting the results in proper context with the vast amount of other literature in that field.

Both of those things require a ton of reading and experience in that specific discipline. Someone who's spent years of an academic career reading literature and doing research in epidemiology will know what good practices and the standard methodologies are and be able to contextualize findings within the broader literature. They're also going to be familiar with individual personalities and expertise of other researchers. Those are abilities you simply aren't going to have unless you're literally an expert in that specific field.

The reason I was encouraging laypeople to read literature is both that it's good practice and because literature review is a collaborative process. Just because you're not an expert doesn't mean you can't spot problems in a publication or that you can't evaluate it to see if it supports claims being made on Twitter or whatever. The more eyes you have on something the more thorough an analysis you can do. Ideally you want an actual expert or two to provide the insights only they are really capable of offering.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I also want to note that one cannot read studies critically unless they have training in that field.
I don't agree with this. If you know a bit about statistics and experiment design you can at least critically evaluate the methodology of some papers outside your field and come up with things the study lacks from that perspective. What you can't do is evaluate the technical aspects and underlying implications. COVID brain is maybe a good example - I can understand that on average grey matter is reduced by a statistically significant amount when you get COVID, but I don't know enough about the brain to evaluate how it affects humans in real life.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I don't agree with this. If you know a bit about statistics and experiment design you can at least critically evaluate the methodology of some papers outside your field and come up with things the study lacks from that perspective. What you can't do is evaluate the technical aspects and underlying implications. COVID brain is maybe a good example - I can understand that on average grey matter is reduced by a statistically significant amount when you get COVID, but I don't know enough about the brain to evaluate how it affects humans in real life.

With the specific example of COVID brain, I believe HelloSailorSign linked some papers showing the same thing happening with the flu and some other things (amputations?), we also don't know if that loss is persistent or temporary (maybe from loss/regain of smell) as the brain is very plastic.

That's an example of being familiar with (or looking into) some of the broader context. Out of context that certainly seems alarming but when you're aware that similar reductions in grey matter occur with the flu you might come to the conclusion that it's concerning but we need more long-term study of the subject.

edit: we don't disagree wrt Thorn Wishes Talon's point, I just thought it worth commenting on the specific COVID brain example.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Epic High Five posted:

There's a lot of ways to be a skeptic in all degrees of faith, but if I had to pick one of the more common dismissals of anything and everything that frustrates me especially it's "I'm doing my own research" which 100% does not in fact include even pre-prints

Just quoting this so it doesn't get buried at the end of the last page

If you're not sure where it'd fit in Games but you're interested in maybe seeing if people there may also enjoy it, reach out to a mod there (or I can do so on your behalf) and they'll know for sure

VideoGames is arguably the best mod on the forums. Send him a note and I'm sure he'll be very supportive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Epinephrine posted:

You're going to have to clarify the point you're trying to make here because I have no idea what you're going on about.

Try searching stuff other than the thread that’s like a month old?

It’s also known as the “Provincetown outbreak” and in non-academic discussion as the “Bear Week outbreak”. A study about it was published in CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report in late July and was a large factor in the decision for the recommendation thst vaccinated persons mask up.

Anyway, this California preprint is boring because it agrees with one of the findings from the Massachusetts article (Provincetown and all of Barnstable County are in Massachusetts, to be clear).

quote:

Real-time reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) cycle threshold (Ct) values in specimens from 127 vaccinated persons with breakthrough cases were similar to those from 84 persons who were unvaccinated, not fully vaccinated, or whose vaccination status was unknown (median = 22.77 and 21.54, respectively).

This has been described as “vaccinated people spread the virus as easily as unvaccinated people!” by such luminaries as the U.S. paper of record The New York Times, but that is a misstatement. For one thing, breakthrough infections don’t happen to everyone. Vaccination reduced the proportion of people who test positive in the first place, and that’s a reduction right there. For another, cycle threshold is suggestive, but it is not the be-all, end-all of viral transmission. For example, vaccinated persons with a breakthrough infection may clear the infection faster and thereby spread the less on a population level, even though at the peak of either infection, the volume of virus spewed was similar.

Of course, another hypothesis that needs to be run down is that vaccinated persons with breakthrough infections have infections that on average last longer than infections in unvaccinated persons. “Biologically implausible”, you say? Consider that “persons with breakthrough infections” are not selected randomly from the pool of all vaccinated persons. They are disproportionately likely to have less-capable immune systems due to age or other factors. This could cause their numbers to fall behind those of the unvaccinated cohort, which hasn’t had its healthiest members removed by successful pharmaceutical intervention and still includes all the people with top flight (though naive) immune systems.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Platystemon posted:

It’s also known as the “Provincetown outbreak” and in non-academic discussion as the “Bear Week outbreak”. A study about it was published in CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report in late July and was a large factor in the decision for the recommendation thst vaccinated persons mask up.

That it didn't become known as the Bear Week Outbreak is one of the few unequivocal successes of the CDC during this pandemic.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The problem with pre-prints is there is enough of them you can simply think of an opinion, do a search on the databases then locate a pre-print with support of that opinion.

If you want ten preprints supporting ivermectin they are there, if you want preprints saying masks only provide 4% protection you can find that. Being able to find a large number of preprints doesn't support something being true and that makes it really easy for someone with a pre-decided opinion to find any number of unpublished studies on the legitimate medical databases written in official sounding terms supporting whatever it is they want to appear true.

Within the decade we'll have AI churning out bazillions of highly convincing yet fake research papers with fake charts based on fake data, written by fake researchers with fake headshots and fake CVs.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I looked it up and found the same NIH report, but the two dots aren't related in an obvious way and you dropped the preprint without reference to a prior discussion and without any specific point, statement, or opinion about what either the Provincetown data or the preprint means. I'm still not entirely sure what point you were trying to make.

As for the preprint itself, it seems like the key takeaway is that, if you have COVID, don't be around other people. Which I would think is the obvious thing to do.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Epinephrine posted:

I looked it up and found the same NIH report, but the two dots aren't related in an obvious way and you dropped the preprint without reference to a prior discussion and without any specific point, statement, or opinion about what either the Provincetown data or the preprint means. I'm still not entirely sure what point you were trying to make.

As for the preprint itself, it seems like the key takeaway is that, if you have COVID, don't be around other people. Which I would think is the obvious thing to do.

Is it not O.K. to share the proceedings of the scientific community in an open pursuit of knowledge? Must everything be ammunition for one “point” or another?

Like I said, the preprint is boring. It does not overturn existing best knowledge. It merely adds support. And that’s O.K.. Science is supposed to be repeatable, and it’s a shame that the work of replication is so underappreciated.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

wrong thread

Gio fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 1, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

Is it not O.K. to share the proceedings of the scientific community in an open pursuit of knowledge? Must everything be ammunition for one “point” or another?

Like I said, the preprint is boring. It does not overturn existing best knowledge. It merely adds support. And that’s O.K.. Science is supposed to be repeatable, and it’s a shame that the work of replication is so underappreciated.

It’s not “pursuit of knowledge” to just repeatedly find and read low quality articles that mirror back what you already thought or wanted to be true, even if you find them in the non peer reviewed section of a science website instead of twitter.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Platystemon posted:

This isn't about ammunition, you linked preprint A to unrelated dataset B with no explanation as to what the connection is. I just want to know what the connection is.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The connection is "another paper measuring Ct values of vaccinated people to throw on the pile".

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

The connection is "another paper measuring Ct values of vaccinated people to throw on the pile".

Again though, with preprints the pile is endless for whatever you want. There is always dozens of preprint papers showing virtually anything you can imagine. They by definition have minimal vetting

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

There are certain things you can look at to help you decide whether a preprint is worthy of consideration and discussion: the authors and their past works and affiliations, impact factor and other bibliometrics, institutions involved and sources of funding, overall paper structure, sound statistical methods and charts, preregistration information, etc. These work better if you are broadly familiar with the field. You might consider it a heuristic equivalent to bibliometrics like the h index: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-index

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Fritz the Horse and I have both provided pretty extensive actual scientific publication literacy materials. It might be good to get them linked in the OP.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the bar for discussing anything in this thread is peer review, just shut it down, because very nearly nothing in this thread meets that standard.

We can’t discuss news articles. We can’t have anectdotes from posters themselves. We can’t discuss the papers CDC uses as foundation for guidance because most of those aren’t peer‐reviewed at the time CDC cites them. We can’t even discuss the Barnstable County paper from the MMWR, because, guess what? The MMWR is not a peer‐reviewed journal.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

If the bar for discussing anything in this thread is peer review, just shut it down, because very nearly nothing in this thread meets that standard.

We can’t discuss news articles. We can’t have anectdotes from posters themselves. We can’t discuss the papers CDC uses as foundation for guidance because most of those aren’t peer‐reviewed at the time CDC cites them. We can’t even discuss the Barnstable County paper from the MMWR, because, guess what? The MMWR is not a peer‐reviewed journal.

Maybe I'm missing something, but nobody appears to be saying ban pre-prints. What we're saying is, if you're gonna post a pre-print, do your drat homework to confirm a base level of quality, provide effortful commentary (rather than short, cherry-picked snippets) regarding why you think it's important, and make sure to not put too much weight in the conclusions. It would also help if you looked for and shared studies that contradict the findings in the pre-print you're linking. That is, after all, an important aspect of scientific debate and discourse.

This post right here did not do any of those things. That's why Epinephrine challenged it, and that's why I brought up the need to be more careful with pre-prints in general.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Again though, with preprints the pile is endless for whatever you want. There is always dozens of preprint papers showing virtually anything you can imagine. They by definition have minimal vetting
I know what a pre-print is, I just think for this particular one the results are not really that novel or interesting. If a pre-print is trash you can usually work it out within a couple of minutes of reading it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In requiring that everyone “do [their] drat homework” on preprints, do you not see that that is introducing a more pernicious bias on the thread?

Nobody—and I mean nobody—is willing to write a book report about a preprint that supports pedestrian, widely‐held knowledge. They will only do that for exciting, cherry‐picked papers that threaten to overturn everything.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

It would also help if you looked for and shared studies that contradict the findings in the pre-print you're linking. That is, after all, an important aspect of scientific debate and discourse.

To be clear, are you asking for peer‐reviewed studies that contradict preprints, or preprints that contradict each other?

I think that they’re both problematic, but for different reasons.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

In requiring that everyone “do [their] drat homework” on preprints, do you not see that that is introducing a more pernicious bias on the thread?

Nobody—and I mean nobody—is willing to write a book report about a preprint that supports pedestrian, widely‐held knowledge. They will only do that for exciting, cherry‐picked papers that threaten to overturn everything.

If you are linking something that has not yet been peer reviewed, then I don't think it's unfair to suggest that the burden should be on you to put in extra effort to explain why the study is good and meets, at the very least, some basic requirements in quality. That way, the rest of us don't have to do all that work individually. Surely that makes sense, yes?

I don't particularly care if the pre-print reveals something groundbreaking or merely confirms what is already known. Something is either good science or it is not, and effortposts to distinguish one from the other should be strongly encouraged, considering the subject matter and the sheer amount of misinformation going around.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Personally I don't mind doing a deep dive into scientific literature, preprint or peer-reviewed, as long as others are willing to engage to a similar degree.

As I've said before I'm an educated layhorse in epidemiology/vaccinology/immunology etc. I'm hardly an expert in those areas but I do spend a lot of time doing literature and grant writing/review in the life sciences and I've spent many dozens of hours crash-coursing on COVID stuff the last year and a half.

I would reiterate that literature review is collaborative; no one person will have the absolute correct read on something. I strongly encourage everyday goons to just skim some drat science literature, it's really not that scary and you'll get better with practice.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Discendo Vox posted:

Fritz the Horse and I have both provided pretty extensive actual scientific publication literacy materials. It might be good to get them linked in the OP.

Both of them have been linked in the OP pretty much since they were posted. I also have a few news articles I wanted to throw out for folks to check out. I feel like it's crucial for people to understand how healthcare is getting absolutely hosed right now, both directly and indirectly by Covid.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...has-yet-to-peak

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...ortages-burnout

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/continuing-coverage/coronavirus/uh-reassigns-staff-to-high-volume-hospitals-reduces-beds-in-others

This is obviously specific to Cleveland, but this poo poo right here is happening everywhere.

e: Pretty sure I made the rule regarding pre-prints "include the conflict of interest statement in the op," and obviously if you link something for us to read in here, I expect you to tell us why you think it's important or what conclusions you think might be drawn from it. No minimum word count or anything like that.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 1, 2021

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Discendo Vox posted:

Professor Beetus posted:

Both of them have been linked in the OP pretty much since they were posted.

the OP is not peer reviewed scientific literature; you can't possibly expect Discendo Vox to read it

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Luckily there are truly high level peer reviewed stuff available:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987721001961

High intelligence may exacerbate paediatric inflammatory response to SARS-CoV-2 infection

quote:

Evidence to support our hypothesis

Sparked by media reports of severe COVID-19 outcomes in children where a high IQ was indicated, we investigated further evidence for potential SARS-CoV-2 vulnerabilities in paediatric (age 19 years or younger) patients with a high IQ by conducting a search of the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) developed PubMed database, from the National Library of Medicine (NLM). A scanning search [23] using the terms ‘high IQ’ or ‘gifted’ and ‘COVID-19′, ‘SARS-CoV-2′ or ‘coronavirus’ yielded no results, so we turned our attention to a detailed review of published news and social media reports.

In addition to tracking national and international reports of severe paediatric outcomes with COVID-19, we conducted weekly online Google searches, between March 15 and September 30, 2020, using search term combinations that included ‘child’, ‘children’, ‘youth’, ‘death’, ‘died’, ‘COVID-19′ and ‘coronavirus’, in conjunction with the names of countries or US states. Only news and social media reports of cases of individuals aged ≤19 years, with no reported pre-existing conditions other than autoimmune disorders, were included. We then screened for evidence of a high IQ using proxy terms such as “bright”, “talented” or “intelligent”. We also treated terms that denoted athletic intelligence (psychomotor [18], bodily-kinesthetic [19]), such as “star athlete”, as evidence indicative of a high IQ.

When reports of severe paediatric outcomes did not provide evidence indicative of a high IQ but included identifying information (notably the child’s name), we conducted further Google and social media searches (via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, including personal correspondence via these platforms) to investigate evidence of a high IQ.

In total, we found news and social media reports of 27 children and adolescents with evidence indicative of a high IQ who experienced severe COVID-19 outcomes (including 20 deaths) during the pandemic, as presented in Table 1.

Good part of this high level analysis is that we goons have thus less of risk.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Here is some other good goon preprints:

Having anxiety increases your chances of getting long covid:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.25.21259256v1

Lockdown alone is causing brain inflammation in up to 54% of people who DON'T get covid:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.09.21.21263740v1

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Merck’s oral antiviral Molnupiravir phase 3 was stopped in interim review by independent monitoring board, as the efficacy was apparently good, and company is moving for emergency use authorisation from FDA. This is pretty great news, oral medication (as in contrary to antibodies that need to be administered IV and come more expensive I would assume) that is proven to reduce death and hospitalisation is important tool for the toolbox.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/10/01/mercks-antiviral-pill-reduces-hospitalization-of-covid-patients-a-possible-game-changer-for-treatment/

quote:

A five-day course of molnupiravir, developed by Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics, reduced both hospitalization and death compared to a placebo. In the placebo group, 53 patients, or 14.1%, were hospitalized or died. For those who received the drug, 28, or 7.3%, were hospitalized or died.

The data from the study were made public in a press release and have not yet been peer-reviewed. But even top-line figures were encouraging. In the first 29 days of the study, there were no deaths reported in the group treated with molnupiravir and eight deaths reported among patients who received placebo.

Patients in the study had mild-to-moderate Covid-19, were within five days of symptom onset when dosed, and had at least one risk factor associated with poor disease outcomes.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

FWIW, I don't fault anyone for scamming their way into boosters but if the day comes that we do digital passports or something and you have to prove your vaccination level I am just going to say "Ya I had a booster, I lied my way into it because I don't want covid, sorry, here is the relevant paperwork, please update my records".

Ps we are never getting digital anything or any real verification system because the source data (the untraceable easily forged cards) are already garbage and it would be a nightmare to untangle who got what.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Does your government not have a centralized system to keep track of that, if not at the federal level at the provincial or state level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Evis posted:

Does your government not have a centralized system to keep track of that, if not at the federal level at the provincial or state level?

State by state yes, if they feel like it, nothing federal. It's 50 disjointed and non standardized systems ranging from fully digital to everything on paper.

America in a nutshell