Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Alarbus posted:

HDMI Switch on Amazon. Pick one that has easy to understand looking buttons. I got one years ago for my Dad to use with his plasma tv, still works great for swapping between comcast, chromecast, and bluray. They're like $20.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah when I got my RPi 0w in I used (this was important according to my IT bro-in-law) a bi-directional switch with one single button. If I wanted input from my desktop to my monitor, it was fine. If I needed to see what Raspbian was doing, push the button and I didn’t need another keyboard/mouse.

Much easier than plug/unplug and the switch was from Amazon for less that $16. It was simple enough it didn’t need to explain and it didn’t even have a piece of instructions or anything.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up picking this on Amazon for $10. Good reviews, single button and a LED showing what is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a very similar LG model, not sure if it's the same one or not, and the stand is pretty poo poo. Wobbles a lot if the surface it's on is shaky at all. The same is true to a lesser extent with a comparable ASUS monitor I have - just a weak-rear end stand. I think the solution would be getting monitor arms and using those instead of the built-in stands, but I'm still dicking around with my work-from-home setup after almost 2 years and have just been putting up with the wobble.

The same poo poo product also lacks VESA mounts which makes using arms difficult. I bodged some additional supports for the monitor out of foamboard a while back, but they look pretty ugly. Some sources online say the desk is the problem and to be fair it is a lightweight IKEA PoS. In all other respects the monitor is fine so I might just put up with the wobbling.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Rinkles posted:

If it’s what it sounds like it’s a bug that appears after changing some settings, and was fixed in the newer firmware.

There’s been an additional update since but I haven’t installed it yet and don’t know what it addresses.

Yeah. It happens when I mess with the RGB color values. Thing is, the monitor came factory with firmware F03, but the newest one offered from Gigabyte's site is F02.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

owls or something posted:

Yeah. It happens when I mess with the RGB color values. Thing is, the monitor came factory with firmware F03, but the newest one offered from Gigabyte's site is F02.

F02 is what fixed it for me, but pretty sure mine came with F01. I wonder if they reintroduced the bug in the newer firmware (as an aside, Gigabyte's technical support is pretty crap). Can you try downgrading maybe?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

The same poo poo product also lacks VESA mounts which makes using arms difficult. I bodged some additional supports for the monitor out of foamboard a while back, but they look pretty ugly. Some sources online say the desk is the problem and to be fair it is a lightweight IKEA PoS. In all other respects the monitor is fine so I might just put up with the wobbling.

Okay, that sucks - mine has VESA mounts, and the ASUS has one of the nicest VESA mounting setups I've seen. At some point I'll probably get around to putting them on arms, but for now it's mostly trying to stabilize the desks they're on and tolerate the wobble for me, too.

My 27" Acer has a great stand, and I only see wobble if I am really shaking the poo poo out of the desk.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I saw a page or two back someone recommended the Acer Nitro XV272U Pbmiiprzx for a 27" QHD monitor. I don't game hardly at all. Should I pick a different 27" QHD monitor for general office productivity and internet fuckery, or are they all close enough in features and price that it doesn't make much difference for roughly equivalent quality panels?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Happiness Commando posted:

I saw a page or two back someone recommended the Acer Nitro XV272U Pbmiiprzx for a 27" QHD monitor. I don't game hardly at all. Should I pick a different 27" QHD monitor for general office productivity and internet fuckery, or are they all close enough in features and price that it doesn't make much difference for roughly equivalent quality panels?

If you don't play games at all (or only play mapgames and solitaire) you may want to consider 4K instead of 1440p. At 27" 60Hz it doesn't really cost more but it does look better, gets you sharper text and a bit more flexibility when it comes to productivity. On the other hand, if you do 90% productivity but occasionally play shooters then an XV272U isn't a bad choice IMO.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Rinkles posted:

F02 is what fixed it for me, but pretty sure mine came with F01. I wonder if they reintroduced the bug in the newer firmware (as an aside, Gigabyte's technical support is pretty crap). Can you try downgrading maybe?

Downgraded to F02 and it works fine now. I guess I am ok with this. Thanks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

That was probably me, and I recommended the Vbmiiprzx (or KVbmiiprzx), not the Pbmiiprzx. The P seems decent too, but it's an older and slightly slower model. And it was recommended mostly for gaming. It's not that it can't handle other things, but it may be overkill. You could get a 60Hz 4K monitor for the same price if you aren't interested in playing games on it.

owls or something posted:

Downgraded to F02 and it works fine now. I guess I am ok with this. Thanks.

That issue aside, how's the monitor so far?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
We're having a small annoyance with some Dell U2720Q monitors. We pair them with MacBook Airs, via USB-C, and then we plug in a USB to RJ45 ethernet dongle in the monitor, so network is wired.

Problem is, that if the ethernet dongle is in the screen, we only see about 300 Mbit/s each way.

If the dongle is connected directly to the MacBook Air, we get the full gigabit.

The problem persists across several monitors and models of ethernet dongles, USB-A 3.0 and USB-C.

Is the laptop-to-monitor bus limited, or is there something else we can do?

Edit: Good stuff from forums poster CaptainSarcastic here:

bolind fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 30, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Linus has a video about the 48" OLED burning: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWrFEU_605g

I think that's kind of the expected result. I'm pretty sure it would be fine for just gaming and movies but if you have like Excel open all day, it's not gonna last.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

mobby_6kl posted:

Linus has a video about the 48" OLED burning: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWrFEU_605g

I think that's kind of the expected result. I'm pretty sure it would be fine for just gaming and movies but if you have like Excel open all day, it's not gonna last.
I am glad I chose to keep my main monitor and just get an OLED for games and movies. I know I would be in the same situation now and having the monitor do that after less than a year would not be great. I was pretty close to buying one as my main too. I also have the same windows open all the time and spend a large amount of time on the PC, so glad I skipped it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Rusty posted:

I am glad I chose to keep my main monitor and just get an OLED for games and movies. I know I would be in the same situation now and having the monitor do that after less than a year would not be great. I was pretty close to buying one as my main too. I also have the same windows open all the time and spend a large amount of time on the PC, so glad I skipped it.

I wish that they had told us hours instead of months. 6 months of use can mean completely different things between 2 users.

I have had my C1 for 3 1/2 months, and it's at 800 hours. No burn in yet. But I have hidden taskbar, desktop icons, use night mode and black themes in any app that supports it, and I don't put windows in the same locations (like in the 4 corners like Linus did).

The only thing I have done that will shorten the life of this panel is use the service remote to disable the automatic dimming because it would trigger all the drat time while I was reading or working.

But, I also have decided that this display is a wear item and I expect that I will probably need to replace it with in 3-5 years.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

At this point I'm resigned to waiting for QD-OLED now. Maybe in 4 or 5 years, it'll be affordable as a desktop monitor.

That's Samsung's upcoming quantum dot/OLED hybrid solution where there's a blue OLED layer shining through a quantum dot layer. This is expected to give much better energy efficiency, eliminate burn-in risk, and higher peak brightnesses will be possible. The first TV is expected next year and will likely cost in the high thousands. It will take several years for monitor prices to become reasonable if we're lucky.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 1, 2021

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Having a weird issue with my Samsung monitor, when I start it up the screen is covered in horizontal glitching lines. Eventually the lines will disappear after the monitor seems to 'warm up'. When this problem first occurred six months or so ago this took about 30 secs. Now it's taking 15+ minutes. Switching the refresh rate from 144 to 120 reduces the problem, but not entirely. Curiously, physically shaking the monitor seems to make a difference sometimes.

Have updated all relevant drivers. This feels like a hardware problem, and the monitor is out of warranty :suicide: Anyone encountered anything like this before?

e: certain it's nothing to do with the HDMI cable, the problem persists when the monitor goes into standby when its completely unplugged

Eau de MacGowan fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 1, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

At this point I'm resigned to waiting for QD-OLED now. Maybe in 4 or 5 years, it'll be affordable as a desktop monitor.

That's Samsung's upcoming quantum dot/OLED hybrid solution where there's a blue OLED layer shining through a quantum dot layer. This is expected to give much better energy efficiency, eliminate burn-in risk, and higher peak brightnesses will be possible. The first TV is expected next year and will likely cost in the high thousands. It will take several years for monitor prices to become reasonable if we're lucky.

LG's OLED TVs work in a similar way, with white OLEDs and an additional substrate over top for colour. It mitigates burn-in to some degree by negating the effects of subpixels degrading unevenly, but brightness still decreases over the panel unevenly. Doesn't seem as though Samsung's tech does much to mitigate that.

I'm resigned to waiting for microLED, but lol that's gonna take a while.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

LG's OLED TVs work in a similar way, with white OLEDs and an additional substrate over top for colour. It mitigates burn-in to some degree by negating the effects of subpixels degrading unevenly, but brightness still decreases over the panel unevenly. Doesn't seem as though Samsung's tech does much to mitigate that.

I'm resigned to waiting for microLED, but lol that's gonna take a while.

You're theoretically going to be able to achieve the same level of brightness in a QD-OLED panel compared to an LG WOLED panel with far less energy consumption. Basically, you're not running the subpixels as hard, and they'll degrade slower. Also apparently the subpixels burn more evenly. I'm not entirely sure how it works tbh.

Affordable and energy efficient MicroLED displays are not gonna happen this decade, and maybe not ever if OLED advancements obsolete the tech before it can reach viability (which seems likely)

edit: And I forgot to mention it, but windows can run into all sorts of ugly text rendering issues with WRGB or WBGR subpixels that it wouldn't run into with QD-OLED's simpler RGB/BGR subpixel structure.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 1, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lowen SoDium posted:

I wish that they had told us hours instead of months. 6 months of use can mean completely different things between 2 users.

I have had my C1 for 3 1/2 months, and it's at 800 hours. No burn in yet. But I have hidden taskbar, desktop icons, use night mode and black themes in any app that supports it, and I don't put windows in the same locations (like in the 4 corners like Linus did).

The only thing I have done that will shorten the life of this panel is use the service remote to disable the automatic dimming because it would trigger all the drat time while I was reading or working.

But, I also have decided that this display is a wear item and I expect that I will probably need to replace it with in 3-5 years.

I'd be fine replacing it in 2-3 years but it seems to begin to suffer much sooner than that. Like 6 months, which is way to soon. While we don't know the hours (maybe the L1 guy says it?), I think it's pretty safe to say that the typical goon usage of 8hr WFH + 8hr poo poo posting per day will kill it off pretty quickly

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

I'd be fine replacing it in 2-3 years but it seems to begin to suffer much sooner than that. Like 6 months, which is way to soon. While we don't know the hours (maybe the L1 guy says it?), I think it's pretty safe to say that the typical goon usage of 8hr WFH + 8hr poo poo posting per day will kill it off pretty quickly

To be fair, there is some overlap between my 8 hours of WFH and 8 hours of shitposting.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I mean my monitors are on for 10 to 12 hours a day almost every single day, and there's going to be static interface elements, I can't get rid of them all (nor would I want to). OLED is completely out of the question for me until they make it so it will last at least a few years with that level of usage. I would not trust a C1 to last more than a year in my hands before an unbearable level of burn-in occurs.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

It seems particularly unacceptable given how much these things cost

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

It seems particularly unacceptable given how much these things cost

For what it's worth I've had a c9 in my living room for 2.5 years without any burn in. As long as you aren't doing 8+ hours a day worth of spreadsheets I imagine you would be fine.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Size matters. Bigger LEDs producing relatively less brightness are going to be less stressed and burn out slower. So it's likely a matter of both content and the size of the display, as well as brightness settings.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

K8.0 posted:

Size matters.
48" owners: "It's not the size, it's how you use it!!!"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

For what it's worth I've had a c9 in my living room for 2.5 years without any burn in. As long as you aren't doing 8+ hours a day worth of spreadsheets I imagine you would be fine.

Obviously living room TVs are gonna be fine. This is a monitor thread, for talking about computer monitors where you do things like use spreadsheets.

The general response to burn-in concerns is always "well just completely tailor your entire computer using experience around using an OLED" or "well just don't do the things you use computers for on it" and it's like, if those are the conditions, then I guess I'm not getting an OLED until you don't have to do that stuff anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 2, 2021

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Obviously living room TVs are gonna be fine. This is a monitor thread, for talking about computer monitors where you do things like use spreadsheets.

The general response to burn-in concerns is always "well just completely tailor your entire computer using experience around using an OLED" or "well just don't do the things you use computers for on it" and it's like, if those are the conditions, then I guess I'm not getting an OLED until you don't have to do that stuff anymore.
I completely agree on that front. I'm just confused on why someone would want an oled for spreadsheets and the like instead of an ultrawide for half the cost.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I completely agree on that front. I'm just confused on why someone would want an oled for spreadsheets and the like instead of an ultrawide for half the cost.
Because the new video cards support HDMI 2.1 which means you can have 120hz OLED screen which looks way better than any IPS screen and doesn't cost double, maybe a few hundred more at most. This LG for example is almost $1300 and you can get a 48" OLED for maybe $1400 or even less. Reviews when the OLED came out were super favorable and people kind of blew off any burn in concerns as well.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you're considering ultrawides you're already in "IDGAF I'll throw money away for nothing" territory and you may as well consider OLED.

Note that these guys are doing pretty much the extreme of what you don't want to do other than being at full on 100 brightness and they're still using the displays, despite for example in Linus's case in particular being able to easily justify replacing it yearly if he wanted to.

Personally I would almost certainly spend $1400 on a 48 C1 over $800 on a 1440p ultrawide if those were the two choices I was looking at today. There are better choices and I'd rather be on a 1440p high refresh monitor waiting for better 4k options unless I was in truly DGAF about money territory, but between the two the OLED remains compelling.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 3, 2021

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I've been holding off on upgrading to that Microcenter XV272U until I upgrade my computer first, because I don't think my current integrated graphics laptop can run anything except work/Firefox at 1440p. But then I realized it doesn't even run my current 1080p monitor at native resolution in most games... I usually have to drop it down lower than that to hit 30 fps. Is the Acer going to look noticeably worse when scaling down to those lower resolutions, or is it just going to be equivalently bad?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

I've been holding off on upgrading to that Microcenter XV272U until I upgrade my computer first, because I don't think my current integrated graphics laptop can run anything except work/Firefox at 1440p. But then I realized it doesn't even run my current 1080p monitor at native resolution in most games... I usually have to drop it down lower than that to hit 30 fps. Is the Acer going to look noticeably worse when scaling down to those lower resolutions, or is it just going to be equivalently bad?

720p games might actually look slightly better better on it since that's a simple 2x scale factor.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm looking to replace my 1080p Samsung monitor after about 8 years, ideally with a 1440p monitor for high refresh rate stuff. I'm looking at an MSI monitor (this one) that seems well reviewed and is on sale but I figured I'd ask in here if there's any better options for the price (willing to go up to around £300) or if there's any big known issues with MSI monitors.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

njsykora posted:

I'm looking to replace my 1080p Samsung monitor after about 8 years, ideally with a 1440p monitor for high refresh rate stuff. I'm looking at an MSI monitor (this one) that seems well reviewed and is on sale but I figured I'd ask in here if there's any better options for the price (willing to go up to around £300) or if there's any big known issues with MSI monitors.

Until recently, wide-gamut MSI monitors have not had the built-in sRGB mode that's required for having accurate colors in the vast majority of content. They have recently updated the MAG274QRF-QD, but I don't see any recent firmware updates for the G273QF on MSI's website. You may still be able to use the AMD driver-level sRGB clamp or this tool for nvidia cards to fix that issue, though.

That issue aside, the panel quality seems perfectly fine. Though that stand looks kinda lovely, it doesn't look adjustable at all.

edit: I'm looking at scan's selection, and jesus, why are monitors so loving expensive over there.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 4, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Until recently, wide-gamut MSI monitors have not had the built-in sRGB mode that's required for having accurate colors in the vast majority of content. They have recently updated the MAG274QRF-QD, but I don't see any recent firmware updates for the G273QF on MSI's website. You may still be able to use the AMD driver-level sRGB clamp or this tool for nvidia cards to fix that issue, though.

That issue aside, the panel quality seems perfectly fine. Though that stand looks kinda lovely, it doesn't look adjustable at all.

edit: I'm looking at scan's selection, and jesus, why are monitors so loving expensive over there.

Something something Brexit, even though this has been the thing for a while. This Samsung monitor I'm using now was about £200 when I bought it for a 59hz monitor, it really shakes me when I see Americans talking about decent 1440p monitors being available for cheap.

Anyway looking around and remembering Scan is terrible, I'm also looking at these 2. Another MSI one, only curved and a VN panel for slightly cheaper and this Acer one which I hate the look of the stand even more, at least the MSI ones look like they tilt. Adjusting the height isn't a big deal, my current monitor is a decent height and these look to be about the same height stand, it's not even being able to tilt it that worries me since I have this one slightly tilted upwards.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
QHD monitors have utterly plummeted in the uk in the past six months, i got my dell S2721DGFA for i think 330 on student discount but it's been as low as 279. here it is on sale for 300

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dell-s2721dgfa-1440p-165hz-ips-ps29900-at-currys-pc-world-3802535

it's IPS, it has incredible colour repro, it's 165hz. the HDR is kind of in name only because it's only 400 or 600 iirc, but otherwise it's a steal.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

njsykora posted:

There's plenty of options at or around £300

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Hey, I made the comment in the Windows 10 thread, but it's probably better made here for folks. When I hooked up two LG 27GL83A-B monitors to the same computer (3080, G Sync, via Displayport, etc), it would freeze when trying to wake up from screen off. Sleep was fine, but screen off was not. As soon as I swapped one LG out for my older Dell monitor, the issue went away (same as if I only had one monitor connected).

I like the LGs, but I'm pretty bummed I can't actually have two of the same monitor connected.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

720p games might actually look slightly better better on it since that's a simple 2x scale factor.

Thanks! I never did get an answer on whether we can expect the holiday/post-holiday pricing to beat MicroCenter's current sale, so I just went ahead and pulled the trigger. I figure we can't know which specific ones will go on sale later, so if I know I want that specific model, I should just go for it when I can rather than rolling the dice.

Will post impressions when I can!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Are there any sub £150 monitors worth considering?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Am I missing something? This monitor is at Best Buy for like, less than half the price that I've found it almost everywhere else in Canada:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/viewsonic-vx2478-smhd-24-1440p-frameless-ips-widescreen-led-monitor-with-hdmi-and-displayport/10768312
(because BestBuy redirects out-of-country IPs, It's $154 CAD for this)

It's even VESA mountable. Fuckin' banging deal if you can live with 60 Hz (I sure can).

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

njsykora posted:

Something something Brexit, even though this has been the thing for a while. This Samsung monitor I'm using now was about £200 when I bought it for a 59hz monitor, it really shakes me when I see Americans talking about decent 1440p monitors being available for cheap.

Anyway looking around and remembering Scan is terrible, I'm also looking at these 2. Another MSI one, only curved and a VN panel for slightly cheaper and this Acer one which I hate the look of the stand even more, at least the MSI ones look like they tilt. Adjusting the height isn't a big deal, my current monitor is a decent height and these look to be about the same height stand, it's not even being able to tilt it that worries me since I have this one slightly tilted upwards.

RTings has reviewed the MSI one (both MSI ones mentioned so far, actually). I don't want to give any conclusive judgments on quality based on a single pursuit camera shot, but I'll say that's not the worst looking motion blur shot I've ever seen on a VA panel. They frequently look much worse.

RTings also reviewed the Dell S2721DGF. I'm not sure how the A version CoolCab mentioned differs from this (edit: they're the same hardware), but it has the same issue as the MSI monitors: oversaturated colors out of the box with no built-in srgb mode. Again, this will be correctable with software, or potentially OSD saturation controls if this model offers that (CoolCab would know). It's a popular monitor, so it's probably not too bad either way.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 5, 2021