Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

DogsInSpace! posted:

Nice thing about all of this is they could easily have the surviving OG cast for cameos. Claudia Christian better be there. President Lushenko maybe? I don't care but she better get a cameo as she seems like a sweet lady. I like General Haig for Sheridan. Mumy could be a ton of things but Peter Jurasik needs to be an older Centauri as I miss that accent and performance. As much as I like Jeffrey Combs for Bester he could also just cameo as the Inquisitor. I almost hate to say that as one can never have enough Jeffrey Combs and I'd be sad to only see him once. If we are talking about lesser know or semi retired character actors I vote for Brad Dourif and/or his daughter Fiona. Just for anything. Wow.... really excited about new B5 verse. Just hope they get to do Crusade too as I really enjoyed the limited amount we got.

The two original telepaths would be perfect taking over the Bester role, it's not really a cameo but it's not main cast either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

bartolimu posted:

I realize a lot of people in entertainment (and everywhere else, too) say things they later go back on. It's the nature of show business (and politics, and...). That said, as I ponder about the reboot I couldn't help but think about JMS's words when Andreas Katsulas died:

I remember that day, and how sad I was I'd never get to meet the guy who brought my favorite character to life. And I agreed with the bolded portion - G'Kar was Andreas's, and nobody else could (or should) ever try to embody that character. My feelings haven't changed on that front. So personally, I'd rather see Ambassador Na'Toth. Have a no-holds-barred cage match between Julie Caitlin Brown and Mary Kay Adams for the role, may the best Narn win. Or pick another name for the ambassador. Just don't name him/her/them G'Kar.

And yeah, you could probably make a similar call for Vir, Zack, Zathras...gently caress, it's depressing how many of the original cast are gone. And I realize it's also hilarious I'm advocating for G'Kar to be replaced by a character that was shared by two actors. But somehow G'Kar feels different.

Anyhow thanks for coming to my emo blog. I look forward with equal parts excitement and trepidation to the reboot. Whenever it starts airing, I'll be simul-watching with my old college roommates. B5 had a big impact on us back then, and we still send each other little Vir waves for Vorlonisms from time to time. It's going to be a lot harder to coordinate now that we live on opposite ends of the country, but we'll manage.

I don't know what the plans will be for the names, but I'm certain we're not getting the same characters. JMS will certainly play with the old story and our expectations, though. For example, the Psi Corps sleeper agent on the station is almost certainly not going to be the character it was in the show. I expect to see the characters respun, and they'll evolve and develop differently based on whoever ends up getting cast.

I am 100% convinced JMS will do more with the secondary ambassadorial characters, sooner, especially if the funding is such that they can pay to have them in more episodes. That's going to make for the biggest change with the Narn ambassador. I also suspect he'll prioritize hiring new people over reusing the old cast.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Part of what made the overarching plot of Babylon 5 work is that JMS was willing to be flexible along with his grand plans, I feel like between old age and people actually having an idea of what shows with planned-out plots look like, there's going to be less shakeups, so I dunno how it'll turn out then.

I imagine he'll mix up the new plot more, but I can't say for sure or how much if he does. There have sort of been TV show remakes before, but I don't think there's ever been one like this where the original had a planned-out plot, and the top guy involved in the original is involved in the remake. I guess it sort of happens in children's shows, but there they have the advantage of primarily playing to a mostly new audience, and even then all the ones I can think of purposefully shake things up a lot just to not do the same thing. Maybe there's something more like that in anime?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TK-42-1 posted:

has anyone said Babylon 5: Reboot and Zooty yet

I think we have a winner

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
If nothing else, this will give us a do over on Season 5, hopefully with 100% less Byron.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fighting Trousers posted:

If nothing else, this will give us a do over on Season 5, hopefully with 100% less Byron.

byron really could have been fine with 20% less byron, 100% more lyta and 50% better writing.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Jedit posted:

In the UK it was broadcast on C4, so named because it was our fourth terrestrial channel. C4 pleased JMS mightily by treating the show as a valued property, not cutting scenes to make ad breaks fit or showing it out of order. Because of this, he deliberately wrote a couple of scenes into the show where C&C receive a message on Channel 4 so the station could use them for idents. So you already knew - you just didn't know you knew.

Yeah - it’s just a shame that they screwed up their handling of Season 5 (and especially the final 5 episodes...)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I feel like I've reached the Cool Zone of the series I'm now on Season 3 Episode 16. A Whole bunch of poo poo has happened. Some of it pretty dire. Its good though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Keep watching.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The Real Babylon 5

The Real World: Babylon 5

Zathras in confession room posted:

Zathras sick and tired of Zathras leaving mess in bathroom. Have one bathroom on floor. Have FOUR Zathras. You do math. Zathras have asked Zathras to clean up after self, oh yes. And Zathras has asked Zathras to clean up after self, too. Even *Zathras* has asked Zathras to clean up after self - and everyone on station knows Zathras is huge slob! Is shameful. Tsk tsk tsk. I tell Zathras, "What affect one Zathras, affect all Zathras." I open bathroom door. Hair *everywhere*. So shameful.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

ultrafilter posted:

The Shadow/Vorlon conflict seems like the thing that most has to change. That worked because it was never done before, but I don't think a second time with the same thing would be anywhere near as good.

It's the most unashamedly 90's aspect of the show: in the end there was never any real ~conflict~, just differences of opinion! We can all get along!
:toot:

Not sure that works in a post-Trump era.

Grand Fromage posted:

As long as they don't touch the Omega.

You misspelled "Hyperion." :colbert:

Habibi posted:

The Real World: Babylon 5

Slimer's 8 and the Real Babylon 5

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

It's the most unashamedly 90's aspect of the show: in the end there was never any real ~conflict~, just differences of opinion! We can all get along!

Reading the Earth Alliance as a USA analog is a facile and overly simplistic reading, built primarily upon the viewers insistence upon constraining themselves to such notions as "A Linear Understanding of Time" here in our own world.

The Vorlons are the USA; The Shadows are the Soviet Union. The brave rebels aboard Babylon Five, upon realizing that they have been used as pawns in this larger ideological conflict, chose to lash out at both oppressors.

Sadly, there was no White Star Fleet to ride in to support the brave soldiers who did so. The Vorlons won the war. Everything that has happened will happen again.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Chevy Slyme posted:

Reading the Earth Alliance as a USA analog is a facile and overly simplistic reading, built primarily upon the viewers insistence upon constraining themselves to such notions as "A Linear Understanding of Time" here in our own world.

The Vorlons are the USA; The Shadows are the Soviet Union. The brave rebels aboard Babylon Five, upon realizing that they have been used as pawns in this larger ideological conflict, chose to lash out at both oppressors.

Sadly, there was no White Star Fleet to ride in to support the brave soldiers who did so. The Vorlons won the war. Everything that has happened will happen again.

No no no...in my interpretation The Vorlons are the British and the Shadows are the Prussians which makes Babylon 5 the Paris Commune?
:confuoot:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

No no no...in my interpretation The Vorlons are the British and the Shadows are the Prussians which makes Babylon 5 the Paris Commune?

This completely ignores the great sacrifice of the bold alliance martyr who was so brave, he sought to fly a spacecraft right into the heart of the great citadel of one of the ancient powers! He gave his life for the cause. The parallels are so strong, why does nobody see them?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
“The name of the place, is Babylon”

There are no coincidences. Open your mind.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Not sure that works in a post-Trump era.

Every conflict boils down to a difference of opinion. They're still killing eachother over it. Even willing to get all of the "lesser" races killed over it.

The whole order v. chaos thing is weird and abstract philosophy, maybe a little spiritual or philosophical, but when you start imagining broader things like what ancient races far more advanced than humanity would be doing messing around with civilizations on humanity's level instead of just hanging out in their own corner of space, you have to go outside the box. There's been a million stories of alien attacks or colonization, the whole premise of the Shadow War was to think of something beyond just that. The Centauri, Narn, Minbari, and Humans are the ones screwing around with the smaller scale wars over territory or control. The Vorlons and Shadows want control over their souls.

Although I do feel like the way the thing was resolved was a bit haphazard, and I think there are some indications that a lot was changed from whatever the exact original plan for the Shadow War was.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

TK-42-1 posted:

has anyone said Babylon 5: Reboot and Zooty yet

laaaaaaameeeeeee

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

‘Babylon 5…000!’ The original redone as if 90s network executives had made it more Xtreme - the station spinning ten times faster, etc.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Fighting Trousers posted:

If he gets a proper five season commitment from the outset, we can even see what his original idea for a complete fifth season would have been.

Dammit, a Farscape continuation would have been perfect for the CW. it's basically a bunch of sexy, horny space criminals.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

So who is Morgan le Fay?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Season 5 also had the problem of being a rush job after someone stole the original plans at a con

Narsham posted:

For example, the Psi Corps sleeper agent on the station is almost certainly not going to be the character it was in the show.

That one was only in there because of the actor trapdoor, I'd be very surprised if anything beyond the broad strokes were the same.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Season 5 also had the problem of being a rush job after someone stole the original plans at a con

That one was only in there because of the actor trapdoor, I'd be very surprised if anything beyond the broad strokes were the same.

The plan was always have a psi corps sleeper. It being Talia was a trapdoor change.

The original original plan was that the psi corps plant would’ve been Takashima, from the pilot. There was probably another intermediate plan that got scrubbed when Andrea Thompson needed to quit, but I don’t think it was ever announced who that intermediate plan was.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 30, 2021

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although I do feel like the way the thing was resolved was a bit haphazard, and I think there are some indications that a lot was changed from whatever the exact original plan for the Shadow War was.

The Shadow War and it's resolution is actually the least detailed part of JMS' original outline, and wasn't even meant to be resolved in the Babylon 5 series at all (the original outline was for two series spanning ten years, B5 was to end in a cliffhanger).

There was nothing about how it would be resolved other than the final paragraph of the outline basically being "After a final great war, the Shadowmen are defeated, Earth is victorious against the Minbari, Delenn returns to the Grey Council, Sinclair lives out what's left of his life in peaceful exile while their son leads the new Interstellar Alliance"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Chevy Slyme posted:

The plan was always have a psi corps sleeper. It being Talia was a trapdoor change.

The original original plan was that the psi corps plant would’ve been Takashima, from the pilot. There was probably another intermediate plan that got scrubbed when Andrea Thompson needed to quit, but I don’t think it was ever announced who that intermediate plan was.

I think what little has been mentioned of it from JMS is that Talia would have still had the sleeper personality but Kosh would've used the crystal he got from the conversation with Abbut back in Season 1 to reset her back to normal. I imagine that she would've then had something of a similar plotline to Lyta from there, being Kosh's attaché and so on.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 30, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

So who is Morgan le Fay?

Speaking of, I really liked how G'Kar goes full fanboy when he meets the guy who believes he's king Arthur.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I know he worked at MGM and was big on the casting couch but has Douglas Netter done anything else worth checking out? His name is always in big letters at the end of the episodes, I figure he has good taste.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Jedit posted:

So who is Morgan le Fay?

I like how Marcus is afraid of feminine sexuality. It's very on the nose for his character. "Gotta figure out who the hussy is and shame her."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Jedit posted:

So who is Morgan le Fay?

Anna Sheridan. :colbert:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
They should do the original idea for DeLen where she was suppose to be male then turn female. Would be really good and cool.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Original delenn in the gathering was way scarier, I quite liked it. Takashima and the doctor were both super bad though, I'm glad they got axed.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Original delenn in the gathering was way scarier, I quite liked it. Takashima and the doctor were both super bad though, I'm glad they got axed.

I rather liked Johnny Sekka as Dr. Kyle, and I'd have been happy to see him continue, though I love what Biggs ended up doing with Franklin as well, so I don't mind how it turned out. Tomita was awful as Takashima, but somewhat better in the redone version of the pilot that showed up on TNT with the original voice track. Still, keeping her would have meant losing Ivanova, and season five proves that Babylon 5 without Susan Ivanova is just a pale shell of itself.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Hollismason posted:

They should do the original idea for DeLen where she was suppose to be male then turn female. Would be really good and cool.

People on Twitter are very excited about trans Delenn and the positive portrayal of a positive interracial/interspecial trans relationship. It's also very of the moment.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

ultrafilter posted:

The Shadow/Vorlon conflict seems like the thing that most has to change. That worked because it was never done before, but I don't think a second time with the same thing would be anywhere near as good.

"Ancient aliens fighting wars? That's just Mass Effect," someone will post a few years from now without thinking about it for more than five seconds

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

OnlyBans posted:

People on Twitter are very excited about trans Delenn and the positive portrayal of a positive interracial/interspecial trans relationship. It's also very of the moment.

For that matter, there's no reason that the JS character has to be male in the first place. You could go with Commander Jennifer Sherman (or whatever) and have Delenn go from female to male.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

jng2058 posted:

For that matter, there's no reason that the JS character has to be male in the first place. You could go with Commander Jennifer Sherman (or whatever) and have Delenn go from female to male.

Of course. I'd be shocked if a (Ted) Kennedy Democrat like JMS would go so far as to have a female lead but, hey, he could have continued to grow and evolve since B5. I guess it wouldn't be that shocking to find out that someone in the leftwing of democratic party in the '90s would continue that trajectory into the present.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

OnlyBans posted:

Of course. I'd be shocked if a (Ted) Kennedy Democrat like JMS would go so far as to have a female lead but, hey, he could have continued to grow and evolve since B5. I guess it wouldn't be that shocking to find out that someone in the leftwing of democratic party in the '90s would continue that trajectory into the present.

He DID write for Sense 8 after all....

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OnlyBans posted:

This is an odd take on jms. Have you seen sense8?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

jng2058 posted:

I rather liked Johnny Sekka as Dr. Kyle, and I'd have been happy to see him continue, though I love what Biggs ended up doing with Franklin as well, so I don't mind how it turned out. Tomita was awful as Takashima, but somewhat better in the redone version of the pilot that showed up on TNT with the original voice track. Still, keeping her would have meant losing Ivanova, and season five proves that Babylon 5 without Susan Ivanova is just a pale shell of itself.

They were both pretty bad, Takashima more so, but they also had moments. Maybe they just needed better direction or something. Tomita seemed like she just wasn't prepared (or maybe overprepared) and came off almost like she was bored or not really into it.

Or maybe that was the best they could do, I don't know.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Winifred Madgers posted:

They were both pretty bad, Takashima more so, but they also had moments. Maybe they just needed better direction or something. Tomita seemed like she just wasn't prepared (or maybe overprepared) and came off almost like she was bored or not really into it.

Or maybe that was the best they could do, I don't know.

As I understand it Sekka was in poor health and that's ultimately why he didn't continue on the show, unlike Tomita who was flat out fired by the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I loved Sense8. I just felt that a lot of the gender politics were driven by the Wachowskis. JMS writes powerful women well and is fundamentally fine with powerful women, I just think he is of a generation and viewpoint where him choosing to have a female lead would be surprising.