Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Everything's on fire and the Nazis are re-assembling.

I can't give a gently caress about kids vaping.

I mean, I don't normally, but especially not now, or in the future. Or in the past. At any point, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

At root it's because Congress assigned authority to FDA (and a lot of people at both agencies were pissed about it at the time, as it introduced difficult tensions in the FDA mission that haven't been fully resolved).

It was designed that way because it was co-written with Phillip Morris which is exactly who you want writing laws about tobacco control. They knew the FDA wasn't equipped to deal with it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/01/business/01tobacco.html

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Wonder what's happening behind the scenes now.

https://twitter.com/WRAL/status/1443671747040096257?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Okay guys, this is a lot of good chat around the FDA, Drugs, and Smoking in general, might be time to consider a thread for it so we can return to USNews.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

mawarannahr posted:

If they’ve gone down the route of synthetic nicotine analogs to avoid regulatory oversight, they’re basically giving young people research chemicals (usually, these are chemicals with little research on them, especially in humans). The effects of tobacco and its derivatives are well known at this point, and nicotine vapes have been popular for at least a decade now. I think its unlikely we know much about the effects of synthetic alternatives in younger adults, especially any longer term effects. That’s concerning.

They are not using synthetic nicotine.

I spent 2+ years working with vaping people, the reason people looked into synthetic nicotine (expensive) in the first place was to get around all the FDA regs that said Tobacco and not Nicotine.

FWIW: There’s $5000 worth of synthetic nicotine in a warehouse that my former employer doesn’t even care about.

I worked in CBD, testing and research and this was a no-heat device. Can’t say more than that..

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

We've been joking about Sinema and Manchin getting jealous of the attention each one gets, but other Congresspeople are legitimately mad at the attention they are getting.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1443667213194612741

Khanna is such a cynical snake that it's very funny to me seeing him moan about poo poo like this

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/AFLCIO/status/1443654542176964617?s=19

The AFL-CIO continuing to be useless or worse

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Under Obama in 2009 they passed the Tobacco Control Act, which gave the FDA fairly broad authority to regulate tobacco. The FDA had previously been subject to lawsuits limiting its authority over tobacco.

So, the FDA didn't actually officially regulate tobacco until 2009.

Discendo Vox posted:

At root it's because Congress assigned authority to FDA (and a lot of people at both agencies were pissed about it at the time, as it introduced difficult tensions in the FDA mission that haven't been fully resolved).

Thanks y'all

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Khanna is such a cynical snake that it's very funny to me seeing him moan about poo poo like this

The quote in the tweet left out the part that he was pissed because she as a first-term Senator was refusing to negotiate or tell anyone what she wants, so less about her getting attention and more about how she's tanking an entire political party in her first-term.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Bugsy posted:

A very fine typo, and gently caress off ted.

https://twitter.com/clairecmc/status/1443290566297595906

A coworker once told me he preferred Cruz over Trump because Cruz was principled. I had to bite my tongue.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

The quote in the tweet left out the part that he was pissed because she as a first-term Senator was refusing to negotiate or tell anyone what she wants, so less about her getting attention and more about how she's tanking an entire political party in her first-term.

Cool that changes nothing and it's still funny

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

rscott posted:

https://twitter.com/AFLCIO/status/1443654542176964617?s=19

The AFL-CIO continuing to be useless or worse

There was never a scenario where the AFL-CIO was going to recommend voting against 1.2 trillion dollars in construction projects for union labor.

Their job is to advocate financially for their members.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Why is everyone freaking out about kids vaping, it's better than them smoking. (Though I smoked in high school because I was a badass). Making it transgressive is what makes it cool, it sure aint the robot-dick-sucking aesthetic.

Maybe it has something to do with that Nicotine is, quite literally, more addictive than heroin?

It seems like maybe we should prevent our children from imparting on a life long habit that costs them money, negatively affects their health and provides no real benefit?

The alternative isn't , "LOL, well here smoke a butt instead."

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Biden brand icecream at the congressional ball game:
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1443367867425173510/photo/1

It's very strange for me, because my only experience of Dove bars are a brand of soap:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

VideoGameVet posted:

They are not using synthetic nicotine.

I spent 2+ years working with vaping people, the reason people looked into synthetic nicotine (expensive) in the first place was to get around all the FDA regs that said Tobacco and not Nicotine.

FWIW: There’s $5000 worth of synthetic nicotine in a warehouse that my former employer doesn’t even care about.

I worked in CBD, testing and research and this was a no-heat device. Can’t say more than that..

It sounds like there are vendors using synthetic nicotine, according to this paper. FWIW, it points out that only Puffbar
marketing has claimed they use synthetic but nobody has verified that.

https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/early/2021/09/07/tobaccocontrol-2021-056626 posted:

Jordt S Synthetic nicotine has arrived Tobacco Control Published Online First: 07 September 2021. doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2021-056626

The introduction of a new product line of the popular disposable electronic cigarette brand Puffbar, advertised as containing synthetic nicotine, has drawn attention to the increasing use of synthetic nicotine in marketed products and its uncertain regulatory status. A search of the Truth Tobacco Industry Documents revealed that the industry considered using synthetic nicotine already in the 1960s, efforts that were abandoned due to high costs and insufficient purity. Recent patents revealed renewed efforts to develop more efficient strategies for the synthesis of nicotine. Nicotine exists as two stereoisomers, S-nicotine and R-nicotine. While S-nicotine is the prevalent (>99%) form of nicotine in tobacco, a market-leading form of synthetic nicotine contains both stereoisomers at equal amounts, raising concerns about inaccurate labelling and the poorly understood health effects of R-nicotine. Other manufacturers, including a leading vendor of pharmaceutical grade nicotine, developed stereospecific strategies to synthesise pure S-nicotine, now added to electronic cigarette products marketed in the USA and UK. While S-nicotine and R-nicotine can be differentiated by enantioselective High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), differentiation of synthetic (fossil-derived) from tobacco-derived S-nicotine will require development of methods to measure carbon isotope (14C or 13C) content. Vendors claim that the FDA has no authority to regulate synthetic nicotine as a tobacco product, allowing them to circumvent the premarket tobacco product application process. However, legal analysis suggests that FDA may have the authority to regulate synthetic nicotine as a drug. Alternatively, Congress needs to include nicotine from any source within the legal definition of tobacco products.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Darkrenown posted:

It's very strange for me, because my only experience of Dove bars are a brand of soap:

what do you think is getting dipped in chocolate there?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

There was never a scenario where the AFL-CIO was going to recommend voting against 1.2 trillion dollars in construction projects for union labor.

Their job is to advocate financially for their members.

It's not like zero dollars of the BBB plan is going to union labor either though and if the reconciliation bill passes they get their construction money anyways. It's super counter productive but I suppose it's inevitable for trade unions to throw the rest of the working class under the bus if it means they get theirs

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

rscott posted:

It's not like zero dollars of the BBB plan is going to union labor either though and if the reconciliation bill passes they get their construction money anyways. It's super counter productive but I suppose it's inevitable for trade unions to throw the rest of the working class under the bus if it means they get theirs

Agreed.

But, they probably looked at like this:

- If Manchin or Sinema want to kill the recon bill, then they're gonna kill it regardless.
- Might as well get our $1.2 trillion (which is a huge amount of money) of federal construction projects that are required to use union labor and pay prevailing wages under Davis-Bacon.
- It might make the recon bill slightly less likely to pass, but if Sinema was gonna kill it, then she was gonna kill it, and we shouldn't throw that huge amount of money away in exchange for a slightly better chance that the broader left-wing social agenda succeeds.

Corporate tax increases, child tax credits, tripling the earned income tax credit, universal preschool, and community college are great, but those aren't putting money in most of the AFL-CIO members' pockets.

They also did make sure to do an obligatory "but we also need to pass the recon bill" addendum to their endorsement:

https://twitter.com/AFLCIO/status/1443654991995146240

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Sorry if this goes against thread rules, but this is US new related and I'm on a clock. I’ll take the probe or whatever.

I’m trying to help an Afghan family apply for Humanitarian parole to the US while their visa applications complete. The head of the family briefly worked for the US as a translator, but is currently in danger because of him having a shop on a NATO controlled post in Kabul between 2015 and the fall of the city in August. His shop and home was looted and he’s currently bouncing from house to house, staying with various friends and family trying to avoid groups looking for collaborators or people that just did business with Coalition forces, so this is a time sensitive thing we’re trying to do.

I’ve gotten pretty much everything they need together, but I’m still trying to find them someone willing to volunteer to make sure they will not become a public charge on coming to the US via an I-134 Form. I would do it, but I’m already sponsoring an Afghan family of 5 and I’m worried about taking on more before their parole application in approved.

If this is something that you would consider doing then please send me a PM. More than ne person can do this and that would probably be preferred to spread out the load if the family actually needed help after arriving.

There isn’t a guarantee that any financial help would be needed and the next step to having the parole package approved would be to get in contact with charities in the US to set up a place and means for the family to live so there is a good chance that they would have it covered. That said this is a signed form that will legally obligate you to provide financial support if needed so don’t volunteer if you aren’t sure you can afford it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

-Zydeco- posted:

Sorry if this goes against thread rules, but this is US new related and I'm on a clock. I’ll take the probe or whatever.

I’m trying to help an Afghan family apply for Humanitarian parole to the US while their visa applications complete. The head of the family briefly worked for the US as a translator, but is currently in danger because of him having a shop on a NATO controlled post in Kabul between 2015 and the fall of the city in August. His shop and home was looted and he’s currently bouncing from house to house, staying with various friends and family trying to avoid groups looking for collaborators or people that just did business with Coalition forces, so this is a time sensitive thing we’re trying to do.

I’ve gotten pretty much everything they need together, but I’m still trying to find them someone willing to volunteer to make sure they will not become a public charge on coming to the US via an I-134 Form. I would do it, but I’m already sponsoring an Afghan family of 5 and I’m worried about taking on more before their parole application in approved.

If this is something that you would consider doing then please send me a PM. More than ne person can do this and that would probably be preferred to spread out the load if the family actually needed help after arriving.

There isn’t a guarantee that any financial help would be needed and the next step to having the parole package approved would be to get in contact with charities in the US to set up a place and means for the family to live so there is a good chance that they would have it covered. That said this is a signed form that will legally obligate you to provide financial support if needed so don’t volunteer if you aren’t sure you can afford it.

I will throw this into a pinned post for a week or so, hopefully that can help you get some outreach.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Darkrenown posted:

I'm sure it's delicious

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1443594975191736326

The craziest and stupidest part of this whole (extremely crazy and stupid) process, is that there is all this focus on the topline number, but we have somehow gone weeks without a clear picture of what provisions are actually in danger or secure.

The topline number is important, but it doesn't really tell you what the bill looks like and what its impact will be.

If they completely folded down to Sinema's $2 trillion, then they could:

- Reduce the duration of all the benefits from 10 years to 5 and 8 to 4. But, keep all of the total benefits intact.

or, they could:

- Cut all the Medicare changes, cut the universal preschool and community college, cut the child tax credits by 20%, and cut the funding for the new elder care/assisted living program. But, keep all of the original durations and no cuts at all to the other benefits.

Both of those bills would be ~$2 trillion, but they would result in very different short- and long-term outcomes! But, we have no idea which direction - or maybe neither of those directions! - they are leaning towards.

Just saying a top-line number without priorities and hard lines tells you nothing about what the actual outcome will be.

And all of this is self-inflicted by two specific people who have somehow gone more than a month without making a concrete demand.

The House moderates at least put their bad ideas out there to be dealt with. And even they are now begging Sinema and Manchin to demand something specific.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Darkrenown posted:

It's a completely corporately unrelated brand of chocolate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dove_(chocolate)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1443683249751052297?s=19

Lmao. Just being in the same room as somebody questioning Israel is now toxic to your political career.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Booourns posted:

I'm sure it's delicious

They are actually really good.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Harris has been very invisible to anything important for months lol.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Thom12255 posted:

Harris has been very invisible to anything important for months lol.

Biden seems to have boxed her off pretty good alright. Cheney must just look at that poo poo and shake his head

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1443683249751052297?s=19

Lmao. Just being in the same room as somebody questioning Israel is now toxic to your political career.
Yeah this was very predictable

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Biden seems to have boxed her off pretty good alright. Cheney must just look at that poo poo and shake his head

Literally all I have heard about her the past 2 months has been Veep-level mess ups.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I will throw this into a pinned post for a week or so, hopefully that can help you get some outreach.

Thanks

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Thom12255 posted:

Literally all I have heard about her the past 2 months has been Veep-level mess ups.

I laughed hard at the recent Chapo bit of Biden deliberately setting her up to go to Vietnam and get Havana Syndrome'd

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1443594975191736326

The craziest and stupidest part of this whole (extremely crazy and stupid) process, is that there is all this focus on the topline number, but we have somehow gone weeks without a clear picture of what provisions are actually in danger or secure.

The topline number is important, but it doesn't really tell you what the bill looks like and what its impact will be.

Almost every Democrat is on board with the bill as a whole, but I imagine a lot of those Democrats give different priorities to different parts of it. Arguing whose baby gets left behind doesn't really serve anyone interested in passing the whole bill at this point, especially when the holdouts aren't actually fingering specific dislikes anyway.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

It’s a good thing Biden isn’t one insanely contagious virus away from death.

Also wasn’t she supposed to do something about the borders or immigration or whatever when images that looked like they came straight from the 1800s slave trade surfaced?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It’s a good thing Biden isn’t one insanely contagious virus away from death.

Also wasn’t she supposed to do something about the borders or immigration or whatever when images that looked like they came straight from the 1800s slave trade surfaced?

https://apnews.com/article/kamala-harris-lead-migrant-crisis-response-joe-biden-3400f56255e000547d1ca3ce1aa6b8e9

She’s supposed to be working on forming a coherent migration policy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Trump neutered the poo poo out of the VPO in order to make sure Pence was a compliant, powerless Waylon Smithers to his Monty Burns, and Biden's reaping the benefits of that in spades.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Harris was there to add some flavor to the ticket, and test the waters to see if she was viable as a national candidate/potential successor.

Purpose 1 is completed, and she's failed pretty miserably at 2 so far, so they're keeping her behind the scenes.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Morrow posted:

Harris was there to add some flavor to the ticket, and test the waters to see if she was viable as a national candidate/potential successor.

Purpose 1 is completed, and she's failed pretty miserably at 2 so far, so they're keeping her behind the scenes.

Sounds like a typical VP then.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just don't see how she has much of a future political career. Nobody likes her, and despite having a ton of money and at least some support going into the 2020 primaries she had to drop out before the votes even started. Which is not normal.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Thom12255 posted:

Isn't her not pushing back against this kind of statement a good thing? I certainly think so.

I'd also expect her office to call those groups and talk it down, but if her initial reaction to "Israel is committing genocide" is anything other than instant denial and/or condemnation, it only makes me think more of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just don't see how she has much of a future political career. Nobody likes her, and despite having a ton of money and at least some support going into the 2020 primaries she had to drop out before the votes even started. Which is not normal.

She's got worse political instincts than Warren and that's saying something