Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the qiqi spam is so much better than the effort posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

:ironicat:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

what did qiqi do to deserve this

qiqi is cool

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Endorph posted:

there are people who have been playing on and off for an entire year and still havent left monstadt

Araganzar posted:

What was that review of Legend of Zelda where at the start of the game everyone told Link how dark and dangerous the forest was and how he would get hosed up if he went in there so the reviewer never left the bar? I was gonna link it in response to this. I thought it was from Chet & Erik / Old Man Murray or my ex-roommate Lum the Mad but neither one of those panned out.
I love stories like that. I kept going into the mountains because I never noticed the stone gate passage to liyue. When I started Dark Souls I went the wrong way and spent hours hitting skeletons for 11 dmg until my weapon broke. Everyone said the game was hard, I just figured it was that hard.

To be fair, a lot of older games had a few terribly difficult to follow quests that stumped players. Ocarina of time is for sure one of them. Players would get stuck because how would they know that to get into hyrule castle they need to first get captured by guards, talk to a random girl in the marketplace, go to a farm in the middle of hyrule field, go to another village and hatch a chicken egg, etc. Much older games (before internet search engines) included guide books with clues, sometimes they''d intentionally obfuscate the hint books with riddles or make the text invisible and include a tiny tinted lens so you could only read 1 line at a time.

The Inazuma sword blueprint quest is a good example actually. The number of steps and unrelated but required quests involved is silly: rescuing the guy, getting the lens, purifying the shrines, finding stone tablets that could be anywhere, unlocking the way underground, etc. Those 4 switches that aren't highlighted unless you use elemental vision totally stumped me.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Whoooo Amber

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

They should always include one of the free starter characters in every glittershop reset, because they're basically impossible to get constellations for otherwise, and they all require constellations to be good for anything but an obligatory elemental puzzle slot filler (aside from barbara and xiangling who are just good outright).

I'll gladly take C3 amber this month, and I really want C3 kaeya and c5 lisa. Alas.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
C0 Kaeya is still good, though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they should, yeah. i didn't keep suggesting it but i had asked before for it to expand to 3 characters a month with a permanent Favonius rotation. i still am actively going for C4+ on basically all of those freebies (dunno if i can swing Amber given the upcoming banners) as they mostly avoid me on all banners/standard

but it does suck that by all appearances they're just restarting the same 6 month cycle of glitter characters that 1) doesn't even cover the full 1.0 roster and 2) doesn't include even the oldest 4* like Diona/Xinyan. i hope they do have some sort of shakeup planned for that and the BP well before 2nd anniversary...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

itd be nice if they started having a banner that takes acquaint fates and is the standard pool, but actually has rateups. id gladly roll for qiqi constellations given how much i use her

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/kirisaika/status/1443069810867200005?s=20

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
How much money would the game make if they had a 24 or 48 hour limited 5*s only banner with all freebee 4s as rate ups for anniversary?

Opportunities lost

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

what appeal does a banner with no 5* target have to people who aren't whales/deluded though

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

dogsicle posted:

what appeal does a banner with no 5* target have to people who aren't whales/deluded though

That's kind of the point, though, the banner would target non-whales. I don't really see myself getting more than welkin/bp personally, but i'd prob at least knock out all the double top-up bonuses if I knew I could get 2-3 limited 5^s on my fairly new account out of it. I guess they could do one for weapons, too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't care enough about primogems to do the Abyss but I think I should probably start doing better about how I play this game.

Does anyone have a good guide on gearing up or using everyone, at best I get like 9-14k damage from Eula's combos and then someone will post a mp4 in here of them doing 60k with Xingqiu and Yanfei and I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
any clue who is in the shop for october?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I don't care enough about primogems to do the Abyss but I think I should probably start doing better about how I play this game.

Does anyone have a good guide on gearing up or using everyone, at best I get like 9-14k damage from Eula's combos and then someone will post a mp4 in here of them doing 60k with Xingqiu and Yanfei and I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gNxZ2xab1J6o1TuNVWMeLOZ7TPOqrsf3SshP5DLvKzI/edit#gid=954718212

this google doc gives quick overviews on artifact sets/stats/weapons for everyone with links to more indepth guides. its not perfect or anything but its good for skimming

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

That's kind of the point, though, the banner would target non-whales. I don't really see myself getting more than welkin/bp personally, but i'd prob at least knock out all the double top-up bonuses if I knew I could get 2-3 limited 5^s on my fairly new account out of it. I guess they could do one for weapons, too.

my point is it doesn't actually do anything for most (?) people unless they're whales, because whales are the same people who bled into standard banner on launch to get general pool 5* and this is that same format but with limiteds only. if there is no method to target specific 5* then it loses all reasonable appeal for people who have specific 5* wants, even if that includes a couple characters. if you include an EP feature...that's just whale poo poo too

it really does only seem to work in the context of new players who don't know what they want yet, and they can still end up screwed by the pool if stuff isn't to their preference/doesn't fit with their roster well

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Maybe if you threw the epitomized path on there as well - you can target a specific character but is not guarenteed until the 3rd hit.

Just kidding, that’s stupid predatory but holy poo poo it would bring in money.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

padijun posted:

any clue who is in the shop for october?

Amber / Razor.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gNxZ2xab1J6o1TuNVWMeLOZ7TPOqrsf3SshP5DLvKzI/edit#gid=954718212

this google doc gives quick overviews on artifact sets/stats/weapons for everyone with links to more indepth guides. its not perfect or anything but its good for skimming

That's about all I've been using so far, aside from Eula having Gladiator instead of Pale Flame right now, not really sure how to better set people up beyond that.

And, sorry to call you out but you're the only poster in here that I can think of that is aware of how Gacha games work, do you know or think Genshin will ever do an overhaul on things like Inazuma's story? I know that's a whole different question with the normal gacha games since it's a pretty simple JPRG autobattler thing or tower defense game or what have you but I'm guessing there's something that you could compare Genshin to somewhat decently.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive never seen a gacha game completely overhaul existing story. occasionally individual lines might get changed or slight tweaks might be made, but ive never seen a complete redo on a section of a story. for instance fgo's first act is openly admitted to being very bad, like 5 chapters of content, fuyuki, orleans, rome - okeanos and america are generally seen as 'better,' but still not great. its only in camelot that the story is agreed to get good. theyve never gone back and done anything to fix those bad chapters. they openly admit to them being bad in interviews, they make jokes about them being bad in events and other content, but theres been no patch over of them. there's been manga adaptations and stuff that tweak the story a bit to flow betterbut evne they still follow the same basic beats.

another example is in arknights. they released an operator record - think a story quest or hangout event in this game - for specter, a character with a sort of disassociative identity disorder and heavy gaps in her memory. however, the story was mostly other characters talking about specter, including her doctors openly breaking doctor-patient confidentiality for no particular reason. the fanbase complained that the story was badly written, didnt actually show much of specter's personality, and had a lot of outdated and mildly offensive ideas about mental health. they tweaked some of the dialogue and released a second operator record for specter that actually did focus on her and show her off, but the original story is still in the game and still largely proceeds the same.

and these are games that would have an easier time overhauling stories, since their cutscenes are mostly just dialogue and character portraits, not full cutscenes.

its possible they might go back and add a couple more scenes to flesh out the back half, but a full overhaul is completely out of the question. far more likely is they try to use the events and stuff for the 2.x series of patches to sort of backfill and flesh out inazuma and the characters more.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BabyRyoga posted:

people who knock out all the double top-up bonuses aren't non-whales

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Teppei hangout event

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

Teppei hangout event
is there a dialogue option to tell him he was hotter when he was older

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

raverrn posted:

Amber / Razor.

For anyone new, this is the rotation (please please jinx it and have mihoyo announce new additions in the live stream)

OCT: Razor & Amber
NOV: Lisa & Bennett
DEC: Barbara & Kaeya
JAN: Fischl & Xiangling
FEB: Beidou & Noelle
MAR: Ningguang & Xingqiu
Repeat

Remember, if you want to build glitter for Bennet or whoever without risking your guaranteed pity on the character banner, pull on the weapon banner (this coming from someone who learned the hard way)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

couldnt you also pull on the standard banner? not like it rotates

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Yeah, but personally I find the weapon banner a bit more useful than the standard (if the 4* aren't total duds.) I've had really bad luck getting weapons other than Bell/Eye of Perception off of the character or standard banner, so I'm always in need of new gear.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

maybe not great advice for the current weapon banner

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

people who knock out all the double top-up bonuses aren't non-whales

Pretty much this. Reaching for the wallet to actually buy primo gems top offsabout a half hour away for 3 runs. is whaling, since the numbers are there at how horrible the odds are, and how little return you really get for the money.

One of the thoughts I had today is what if all of the future content goes the way of Inazuma and the enemies are just kind of unfun and annoying? It's not like when you quit you get any of that money back. It's gone. Pift.

You're pretty much just rolling for the hope that future content will be fun. You're buying into a game that you have no idea what it is. I won't buy an early access game on steam, yet I somehow decided it was a good idea to blow $150 on gems for a game I've told myself I already enjoy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jade cutter...

but yeah we should get some pretty new 4* weapons by next patch that will be okay for burst-focused characters even if they don't end up bis

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbh the people that were clamoring for a free 5* character for anniversary should have been asking for a 5* weapon instead

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbh the people that were clamoring for a free 5* character for anniversary should have been asking for a 5* weapon instead

i was

JWS pls come home

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Thank you!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

One of the thoughts I had today is what if all of the future content goes the way of Inazuma and the enemies are just kind of unfun and annoying? It's not like when you quit you get any of that money back. It's gone. Pift.

I thought the enemies in Inazuma were way funner than anything else they've released since launch. For one thing they don't all have shields.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

That's about all I've been using so far, aside from Eula having Gladiator instead of Pale Flame right now, not really sure how to better set people up beyond that.

And, sorry to call you out but you're the only poster in here that I can think of that is aware of how Gacha games work, do you know or think Genshin will ever do an overhaul on things like Inazuma's story? I know that's a whole different question with the normal gacha games since it's a pretty simple JPRG autobattler thing or tower defense game or what have you but I'm guessing there's something that you could compare Genshin to somewhat decently.

Honkai revised the first two chapters basically completely but the third and fourth chapters haven't changed at all. You could find a lot of jank related to stuff there but by the later chapters the team has changed and refined how they executed the story for the better.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

RareAcumen posted:

for damage enhancers I run raiden, zhongli with 4pc noblesse, and kokomi with milileth and dragon slayers.

I open combat with raiden skill, zhong meteor then shield, kokomi jellyfish, then switch to either eula or raiden. +88% atk lets either of them do half a million damage with an ult.

I c6ed bennett :\

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I doubt they'll change anything about inazuma because most people just like the big moments, and another huge story focused PVE game FGO absolutely stuck with its incredibly first few lovely chapters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

inazuma just seems like a victim of them wanting raiden as the 2.1 banner character and not wanting to release raiden until the main story is done. hopefully they push the dendro archon to 2.2 or something

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

inazuma just seems like a victim of them wanting raiden as the 2.1 banner character and not wanting to release raiden until the main story is done. hopefully they push the dendro archon to 2.2 or something

I know you meant 3.2 but the idea of them rushing to release the dendro archon next patch struck me as funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Release the archon but they just have auto attacks because they can't apply the element.