Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009
FWIW, Woot has refurbished Kindles today. Voyage for $49.99, 7th gen Kindle for $27.99, 2019 Kindle or 2015 Paperwhite for $39.99. 4th gen Kindle for $19.99

https://www.woot.com/plus/amazon-kindle-and-fire-tablets-4?ref=w_cnt_gw_dly_snb

not affiliated with amazon or woot :) Woot is typically "today only"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

chippy posted:

Assuming it's the same as the Oasis, that's exactly what it does. On the Oasis, it works extremely well. I set my preferred brightness and warmth the first time I used it and I don't think I've had to touch it at all since then, it adapts really well to whatever conditions you're in. I've opened the settings up in bright sunlight before and noticed that it's set to off in those conditions.

Dang, was on the fence about the signature edition, but if this works as well as it sounds that seems like a worthwhile upgrade!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’d be in but I want buttons back dammit. So oasis on the Horizon or is it dead?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

While we're due for a new Oasis, I don't think there's been a peep about it from Amazon.

It seems like the new paperwhites are sort of creeping into its territory, though.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
give me a new voyage with physical buttons and usb-c plzzz

my oasis got real stuck the other day, took 3 tries of holding down power for 30+ seconds to get it to finally reboot. I fear I will be buying a new Kindle again soon :ohdear:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
After the Elipsa release, I'm expecting the next Forma like device from Kobo to have USB C. Slowly but surely we're getting there on both camps.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Aardvark! posted:

give me a new voyage with physical buttons and usb-c plzzz

my oasis got real stuck the other day, took 3 tries of holding down power for 30+ seconds to get it to finally reboot. I fear I will be buying a new Kindle again soon :ohdear:

I think the main differentiator for the Oasis now is just the page buttons and auto-rotate function, but that's it if I'm correct?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the Voyage had kind-of-physical page-turn buttons that were touch sensitive and on both sides. I've always liked having buttons on both sides since I switch hands a lot. I really don't like the ones without buttons at all since I use it left handed more often than right.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I loved my Nook Simple Touch's physical buttons to death. My Voyage's buttons are fine but they didn't feel nearly as good.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody tried something like this with your kindle?

https://www.amazon.com/SYUKUYU-Control-Reading-Surface-Android/dp/B08T8CZYF3

I am extremely lazy and find myself in super hosed up reading positions because I have to actually touch the device to turn the page. It's a clunky solution, but $30 isn't too bad, as long as it actually works as advertised.

Or alternatively, does anybody make an e-ink reader with a remote?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

I am extremely lazy and find myself in super hosed up reading positions because I have to actually touch the device to turn the page.

I'm struggling to picture this and it's driving me mad :iiam:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

So I got a weird problem that I'm not having luck googling. I was out with my Kindle in my pocket and when I got home, the Kindle was turned on and I had pressed some random stuff. Now it's not showing any books on device. I'm still signed in so I didn't do a factory reset, and when I plug the Kindle into my computer I can see all the files, both downloaded from Amazon and sideloaded via Calibre. And Calibre shows all those books as being on device as well.

So...any ideas how to restore it? I tried restarting and syncing it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Make sure that it's set to show books in the filter option on the main page of the library. There a bunch of options like audiobooks or books or docs or other stuff. You may have just hit the other stuff you don't have any of. Should be a lil drop down menu you can tap.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Make sure that it's set to show books in the filter option on the main page of the library. There a bunch of options like audiobooks or books or docs or other stuff. You may have just hit the other stuff you don't have any of. Should be a lil drop down menu you can tap.

Unfortunately it's not that. If I go to storage management it shows 0 bytes for everything, but only ~5 GB free of 6. On my computer, I can see the data folder of the Kindle is taking up ~800MB.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Might did that once and it turned out I needed to delete the metadata file that calibre uses. Somehow it got corrupted on the Kindle. It'll have to reindex all your books, but basically plug it in, go to it in Windows explorer, and in the root directory there's a metadata file. Delete that and eject the Kindle, then restart it via the power button.

You might lose the progress of what you've read, but your stuff should still be there.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hey, what's the advantage to e-ink? I'm looking at either the Pocketbook Basic 4 https://goodereader.com/blog/product/pocketbook-basic-4 or Touch Lux and I'm wondering if I really need e-ink. I don't see myself being in a situation where I'll need a device to go a week without a charge.

Basically I need something that 1) doesn't spy on me 2) works with Libby by Overdrive. Ideally I'd just be able to hook the reader up to my phone and load the files straight from Libby to the device, but I have zero experience with tablet computers or e-readers so I'm not sure if that's possible.

I'm not opposed to getting an older device secondhand, but I hear they tend to be pretty busted up by the time they're discarded. Really I just have a huge backlog of PDFs I want to read and I'm hoping a reader will be less murder on my eyes and attention span than a phone.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey, what's the advantage to e-ink? I'm looking at either the Pocketbook Basic 4 https://goodereader.com/blog/product/pocketbook-basic-4 or Touch Lux and I'm wondering if I really need e-ink. I don't see myself being in a situation where I'll need a device to go a week without a charge.

Basically I need something that 1) doesn't spy on me 2) works with Libby by Overdrive. Ideally I'd just be able to hook the reader up to my phone and load the files straight from Libby to the device, but I have zero experience with tablet computers or e-readers so I'm not sure if that's possible.

I'm not opposed to getting an older device secondhand, but I hear they tend to be pretty busted up by the time they're discarded. Really I just have a huge backlog of PDFs I want to read and I'm hoping a reader will be less murder on my eyes and attention span than a phone.

basically i've bolded the benefit of e-ink. if you need a device just for reading text, it's absolutely worth every penny and little incovenience/software foible, because of this. i can spend an entire day reading my kindle, i have to take constant breaks on a traditional screen.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That and the battery lasts for weeks.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'd say if the usage case is specifically just PDFs then an old ipad or other tablet would be better. You're not gonna have a good time panning and zooming those on an e ink display

e: e ink displays excel at epub/mobi documents that reflow to fit the screen instead of presenting a perfect 1:1 of a page that may end up with text way too tiny to read

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 1, 2021

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Or spend an absurd amount of money for a 13 inch e-reader.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Clark Nova posted:

I'd say if the usage case is specifically just PDFs then an old ipad or other tablet would be better. You're not gonna have a good time panning and zooming those on an e ink display

e: e ink displays excel at epub/mobi documents that reflow to fit the screen instead of presenting a perfect 1:1 of a page that may end up with text way too tiny to read

i can probably re-download most of the files as epubs, they're mostly academic articles about Mongolian sheep-magic.

Also thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to borrow a kindle from my library and see how I like it. I've been told that touchscreens are a huge pain in the rear end relative to physical buttons, any feedback on that?

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

My Kobo doesn't have physical buttons, and I have been using it for six years just fine. But I guess it's a personal preference thing, cause some people are very attached to physical buttons.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've had a paperwhite without buttons and an oasis with em, and I love em. I'd be fairly pissed if they stopped being used on readers in general, but if it's not a make or break part of the deal for you, I'd say go for it. The touchscreen has always been responsive.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

If OverDrive access is a big need, just get something from the Kobo family. I don’t think they’re particularly “spy”-infected, no more so than Pocketbook is, and their devices directly integrate with OverDrive so you’d be able to skip the whole Libby passthru part and just browse and take out from your libraries directly on the Kobo itself. It’s a nice-to-have if you’re a big OverDrive user for sure.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Might did that once and it turned out I needed to delete the metadata file that calibre uses. Somehow it got corrupted on the Kindle. It'll have to reindex all your books, but basically plug it in, go to it in Windows explorer, and in the root directory there's a metadata file. Delete that and eject the Kindle, then restart it via the power button.

You might lose the progress of what you've read, but your stuff should still be there.

Thanks for the advice, I tried this and deleting the other Calibre file, as well as having Calibre "update metadata" and nothing worked. Not really a big deal to transfer everything over again and redownload stuff, I was just hoping to avoid it. But again, thanks for the advice.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One of the amusing advantages of e-ink is that it is terrible for everything but books. So my kindle is for books, not Twitter or email or SA. When I read on my phone, I tend to get distracted by other stuff.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On another topic, should I upgrade from old Voyage to new Paperwhite? Bigger screen, better illumination, warm light option, USB-C. Lose the fake page turn buttons. Have to get the expensive Paperwhite to get auto brightness. Doesn’t seem worth the money just to upgrade but nice to have an option.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

smackfu posted:

One of the amusing advantages of e-ink is that it is terrible for everything but books. So my kindle is for books, not Twitter or email or SA. When I read on my phone, I tend to get distracted by other stuff.
I disagree with this, I think that e-Ink would be great for reading emails, twitter, forums, etc. Any kind of mostly passive reading of text works well with e-Ink. They're not great for participation, but I'd love to be able to read through some of the long "tales from x" threads on my Kindle.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

On another topic, should I upgrade from old Voyage to new Paperwhite? Bigger screen, better illumination, warm light option, USB-C. Lose the fake page turn buttons. Have to get the expensive Paperwhite to get auto brightness. Doesn’t seem worth the money just to upgrade but nice to have an option.

As mentioned, I love the buttons on my oasis, and I've had auto brightness turned off and my lights have been set to 14 like God intended since I bought it. :colbert:

The bigger screen is tempting, as is the USBC option, and the warm light on the oasis is pretty nice. That being said, it's a hell of a price to pay for what sounds like just a few quality of life upgrades.

It'd be a coin flipper kind of decision for me. I basically did the same when I sold my old paperwhite and snagged the oasis when they had a trade in and coupon deal.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Had anybody with a Kindle had any issue with really old "personal docs?" I had a bunch of public domain stuff I sideloaded to my Amazon account like a decade ago that I suddenly can't send to my devices anymore. It's not a huge deal, I can just find it all again, I just think it's weird that all of my old sideloads seem to have stopped working en masse

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I vaguely remember something about a format issue at some point; perhaps the old stuff is too old? See if converting it to a newer version in Calibre helps.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hopefully getting the new Paperwhite for Chrimbo. Will I notice much difference in screen responsiveness coming from my 7 year old Voyage?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
From what we've heard, yes. Also better lightning, 8gb storage.
If you're getting the signature version, they've also got auto-lighting and 32gb storage.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Kerbtree posted:

From what we've heard, yes. Also better lightning, 8gb storage.
If you're getting the signature version, they've also got auto-lighting and 32gb storage.

Nah, Signature Edition is too expensive for the only differences.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

New Kobos are up for preorder:

The Kobo Sage, looks to be the Forma replacement with bluetooth audio and stylus support: https://us.kobobooks.com/collections/ereaders/products/kobo-sage

The Kobo Libra 2, you can guess what this is replacing. :v: Also has bluetooth audio :https://us.kobobooks.com/collections/ereaders/products/kobo-libra-2

Both have USB-C.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Hmmm, i'd love to hold these in real life to see how the curves feel

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I'm uhhhh very glad I got a performance bonus from work because I spent 300+ dollars way too quick... :shepface:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oh, and another surprise, there's a battery cover case for the Sage with space for Stylus storage: https://us.kobobooks.com/collections/accessories/products/kobo-sage-powercover-black

Edit: Whoops, meant to edit.

aTosser
May 3, 2020
I have an oasis, but I think I want it. https://www.pine64.org/pinenote/

I miss my old Kindle DX. This is like a super DX...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

New Kobos are up for preorder:

gently caress