Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Well here I was going to come in and complain about how this game never goes on sale, or that actually, it should just hurry up and get on sale already because I've been itching for something new (for me that is) like this to play, and well, I'm a cheap bastard too, so getting games for me on the cheap is pretty important. And well, here it finally goes on sale via Humble... I'll probably still wait a little more, half-week/one week for it just so it'll be on sale via Steam because "Steam rules" and all.

I'm still going to complain though! As to not leave here empty handed.

So yeah, Battle Brothers been on my radar for a while now since I've really only been able to enjoy offline strategy games lately, maybe some rogue-likes too, having finishing Into the Breach, and wrapping up with Darkest Dungeons currently, random 4x games here and there for in betweens, etc. and boy, all the recent activity in this thread sure was making the wait for a sale itch like hell...

Well one more week-ish!

So will go all keep it down until then!? Thanks.

Okay /complaining done. (for now)

I had a quick question though, it's on sale right now for 50% (base game) so it'll be 50% on Steam too within a week or so, but all the DLC isn't really discounted if at all, just a 10 (who cares) percent. Oof, me being a cheap bastard. Question I had for you guys here was what was the consensus on the 3 DLC for Battle Brothers, I kinda hate not having the "complete experience" with games I play, so wondering if they are worth the cost, I'll most likely bite on them if you all think they're all very good and just generally make the game better, and how you would rather die then play vanilla BB again without them. Thought?

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

They're all pretty much additive. They don't swap up the core stuff really, they just bring new stuff to the table, with the biggest parts being new company orgins and new kinds of enemies to die horribly to.

Warriors of the North adds viking/classical depections of barbarians to both kill and play.

Blazing deserts adds an Arabian Nights/Ottoman inspired south full of nomads and desert bandits lurking over every dune between oases.

B&E is mostly just about more monsters and making those monsters into gear at crafters.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

rideANDxORdie posted:

Congrats on beating the crisis! Doubly so if you're still on Ironman. You can stay in the campaign and chase that brass ring to retire as a truly legendary company. Another crisis will always kick in eventually, and you can use your time in between to build the company, hunt down uniques and sniff out legendary locations.

You could also start a new company. I play on Expert combat but do normal economic difficulty as I find the economic difficulty doesn't really change combat all that much, just makes managing the company a bigger PITA. Maybe you could try one of the more unique starts (raiders, manhunters, lone wolf or gladiators)? You can use the same map seed if you want to benefit from uncovering the map last campaign or try a new map altogether?

I think I like the randomness of new map seed each time. I know that can lead to wild maps that are valid yet unfun. I like the idea of Deserters or Northers Raiders, since I lost to a noble's merc hit squad. I should figure out how to play against it and those rando supply caravans look mighty tempting. I imagine like Battletech you can essentially designate a faction to be a loot pinata

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 28, 2021

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
All 3 DLCs are amazing in my book but some of them may make the game more difficult for new players as they each add a layer of complexity, including enemies that have abilities that aren't present in the base game. I can heartily recommend getting all 3, but I guess if I had to skip it would be Beasts and Exploration. Really, they all work together really well IMO.

Barbarians are one of my favorite origins but they can be really map dependent, though less so if you have the Blazing Desert DLC which, by adding the Southern Realms, guarantees you'll have access to good armor, a taxidermist, alchemists, etc. You start with 3 level 3 bros that are typically awesome and a fourth, Monk brother who typically isn't. You start in the north with the northernmost noble house being hostile to you and the "middle" one also in the red, but less so. You kind of have to death march your first day or two to get to the south but after that it's a really fun start. On top of good starting bros with decent gear, the Raiders origin bonus will help you scavenge from the battlefield much better and you will find yourself getting lots more helmets and armors, even without pulling out your daggers. My last piece of advice is to lock in the Noble War crisis for a Barbarian start - the end of the crisis resets your relations with all noble houses to something workable even if they were hostile before.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
deserters ended on turn 28 to 4 hyenas. I was doing so well on economy, had 4k banked and was on the way to buy more chainmail and hire dudes to start doing contracts

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
What i really don't like about the deserts DLC is that now i'm rerolling significantly more often for a map that has a port up north.

They're so loving rare now.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't have deserts yet but I have the other two and would say the barbarian one is great and really adds to the game (I kind of think of it like the Old Gods one for Crusader Kings 2, partially due to the theme I guess but also it expands the base game in ways I consider essential) but honestly some of the beasts and exploration enemies are so unfun to fight I think they make the game actively worse by being in it. Also the crafting is just fiddly/grindy enough that I rarely bother much with it

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The reinforced nets are real good. You should use them.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

honestly some of the beasts and exploration enemies are so unfun to fight I think they make the game actively worse by being in it.

They're a rare treat :) Like biting in to a lemon except the lemon kills you if your boys don't have enough resolve. Though if you don't have a shitload of hours in the game I guess Unholds and Schrats are probably pretty unfun cause they'll just crush you or you won't have enough money in reserve to handle spending 5 days healing all your broken bones, haha. I personally don't mind the Hexen or Alps because I barely ever end up fighting them outside of opting in via a contract, and I kinda wish alps didn't always loving run from an end-game company because it's actually nearly impossible to fight them on purpose outside of contracts if they aren't willing to chase you on the map.

I strongly consider chosen-heavy barbarian squads to be the least fun content in the game though and just completely avoid getting contracts from the north end of the map after like day 150 because of them. The Warriors of the North DLC is worth it for origins and enemy champions alone, and barbarians are fun to fight at the start of a campaign. Up until the Chosen start showing up, and just make every fight feel like you're fighting a horde of extra-strong Orc Warriors souped up on 11 levels worth of merc perks--including a version of rotation that costs effectively zero stamina so you can't even use the terrain to your advantage because they'll just shuffle around and all still get to attack through a choke point.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

dogstile posted:

What i really don't like about the deserts DLC is that now i'm rerolling significantly more often for a map that has a port up north.

They're so loving rare now.
True and I've also been feeling like the mapgen system took a little hit with the desert DLC which hasn't ever been resolved. My issue is that the snow biome has been pushed back a lot imo to make room for a little too much desert. Towns and roads on actual snow terrain have become rare and the area you can roam for white unholds also shrunk pretty significantly. Most of my map rolling these days is due to me looking for a decent chunk of snowy road (queensguard event) and a castle on snow (hedgeknights) on top of my usual wants.

Im_Special posted:

the consensus on the 3 DLC for Battle Brothers
Imo all three are great and you should just get them. Also when people talk about tactics/builds they are usually made for the full game and there are certain differences if you don't play with all DLC so some things might not work for you without them. The beasts&exploration DLC has some debate around it due to the enemies it introduces to the game but imo the crafting items it adds are important and there are solid strats to deal with all the monsters you can run into

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Also the crafting is just fiddly/grindy enough that I rarely bother much with it
If you haven't done it then take some time and look at the crafts on the wiki. Figure what items you're actually going to use (necklaces, armor upgrades, etc) and then just keep the materials you need and sell the rest. Makes it a lot more simple imo. Though I agree that certain things require more grinding than they should. Especially looking at you, white unhold fur and wolf pelts

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I think I like the randomness of new map seed each time. I know that can lead to wild maps that are valid yet unfun.
True BB gameplay begins at rolling your starting map for about an hour :v:

Though one serious thing I have to say is that I feel that the mapgen could use a little update and a few tiny checks and balances. For instance my current map is fairly great in terms of what I want. Port in the north+south, snowy road and castle, good loop in the middle and south before you get into the desert. The big downside? One temple tucked away in the south, one temple in the desert and ALL other temples have been crammed into the north. Sucks a lot to have to travel for days away from the loop to get my wounds treated and it will become an issue once I get into roaming the wilds for camps and famed loot

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 28, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Echoing the thread consensus, I'll say that all three DLCs are good and worth getting, even not on sale. They all add a decent chunk of extra content for variety, and they all add a few new systems that mesh well with the rest of the game.

Beasts and Exploration: adds new beast enemies that are mostly a pain to fight but can be avoided if you don't want to fight them. Makes the map bigger and adds a bunch of "legendary locations" scattered around the world for you to find. These are the same every game so they get a little boring over time, but they usually give you a couple nice little items. Adds the crafting system which gives you a good, relatively simple and ignorable way to give your bros an extra little boost. Resolve-boosting necklaces and armour attachments are extremely good, most other craftable items are either situational enough that I always forget to use them or require ingredients rare enough that I basically never bother to make them. The worst of the DLC because most of the added variety in enemies and locations is either annoying or repetitive, but still worth getting for the bigger map and passive bonuses of the crafting system. If you're going to skip one, though, then skip this one.

Warriors of the North: adds new Barbarian enemies in the north of the map that have easy (comparable to brigand toughs), medium (slightly tougher than brigand raiders) and insanely difficult (most dangerous human enemies in the entire game) tiers to fight. Adds new legendary locations and a mini questline tied to them where you kill a god and pick up some good unique equipment along the way. Adds some new weapons and armour themed to the barbarians and the north, including some weapons that will make any lategame company much stronger (heavy throwing weapons and bardiches are the two highlights imo). Adds two new systems, the company origins system that lets you customize your starting company and gives you permanent traits to shape your run, and enemy champions, lategame extra-tough enemies that are guaranteed to drop unique items. Highly recommended. Barbarians add great variety to fighting human enemies, company origins are a great addition, and champions make the lategame more interesting.

Blazing Deserts: expands the map to the south by adding a big desert and three city-states, giant cities that serve as standalone factions and offer their own unique contracts, new kinds of bros to recruit, different variety of weapons and armour and so on. Fills the desert with new enemies including nomads (human enemies that are generally tougher to fight than bandits but get pretty easy by the lategame) and some new beasts that drop new crafting supplies, and a new legendary location to explore and go through a tough puzzle fight to beat. Adds a few new origins provided you already have Warriors of the North. You can do arena fights in the southern city-states to get easy money and give your bros useful gladiator traits. Adds a fourth endgame crisis, the Holy War, where two of the noble houses go to war with the southern city-states and you can pick a side and make big money (I usually pick the south because I hate fighting the southern city-state armies). The biggest new system is the retinue, which lets you spend a few thousand gold to hire permanent camp followers that give you passive bonuses. There's enough variety in the retinue that you can customize them to your own play style. Together with the company origins traits, you can then really shape your company overall so that it helps you play the way you want to play. Highly recommended. The desert is a nice addition and I like the variety of new enemies and equipment and the new crisis, but the retinue is a real game-changer and basically worth the DLC all on its own.

I don't consider the game complete without the new systems added by Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts, and I wouldn't want to play the game without them. Beasts and Exploration is still a good addition but it's skippable if you don't want to spend the money on all three.

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe
Just buy the base game at discount and if it gets you nice and hooked you wont much mind forking full price for expansions, you'll get your moneys worth and then some.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Southpaugh posted:

Now that you know how to fight I recommend Lone Wolf.

I got ambushed in the woods and died at turn 11. I honestly could have ran but I decided to fight it out vs 4 thugs and a raider. I sliced them down to the last thug and I missed 3x 72% attacks and died :argh:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's like a 1/216 chance of dying there. Go you.

Also i'm bad at maths please don't take that as an absolute number.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I got ambushed in the woods and died at turn 11. I honestly could have ran but I decided to fight it out vs 4 thugs and a raider. I sliced them down to the last thug and I missed 3x 72% attacks and died :argh:

Lmao. I think Lone Wolf is a great start. I always try to take the high ground, and spend my starting money on a shield and arming sword. Those poor bastards don't know about riposte. Single most dangerous thing is lovely clubs, they can and will stunlock you. Finding a seed with an actual OP lone wolf is also fun, determined or iron lungs are my favourite starting traits.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Thanks guys for all the DLC talk above, all I really got to say is Oof (you hear that Tommy Tallarico!), I'll have the complete Battle Brothers experience soon™.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm on turn 33 of a Beast Slayers campaign. it is overall going well 10 bros avg level of 5 and chainmail all around. I decided to hire more dudes earlier and do a lot more exploring taking on random bandits and nomads

...but I'm now 3 for 3 w/ a bro getting struck down and them getting traumatized. will this go away eventually after enough battles or should I let this poor guy go too?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
A permanent injury like Traumatized will never go away on its own. There is a very very expensive way to cure them, but that is definitely not worth it for a random low-level bro. It sucks sometimes but most permanent injuries are dealbreakers, except for the one that makes your bro less scared of ghosts.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

I was hoping for this guy to be my backup sarge but lol that resolve. at least he's only lvl 2

this was the battle in question. A week or so ago I would have ran but walking away with only 1 injury isn't bad :twisted:

but on the subject of leaving the company. I've started using my lower level bros as red shirts, and if they make it to level 6 they get a title

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

vyelkin posted:

There is a very very expensive way to cure them, but that is definitely not worth it for a random low-level bro.

Hey, it's technically free, you just only get one per campaign :v:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

vyelkin posted:

A permanent injury like Traumatized will never go away on its own. There is a very very expensive way to cure them, but that is definitely not worth it for a random low-level bro. It sucks sometimes but most permanent injuries are dealbreakers, except for the one that makes your bro less scared of ghosts.

Eh. The worst ones are probably the two broken bones/joints. The partially collapsed lung can be an instant retirement, but the guy posted is... Probably fine staying on the line. He'll never be what was intended for him, and he'll never be good, but he's not a waste of space. Although, the permanently reduced stats being two that he had stars in is a serious blow, and that's the part where I would consider making the cut.

(Also, I wouldn't stick a 2 hander on a guy without melee defense stars, unless he was in the line behind everyone and was using a pike. Which might be a niche worth considering for the posted character. He doesn't have melee attack stars, so the added melee chance from two handed spears makes a difference. He has a ranged defense star, which is good, well, everywhere, but definitely the back line, and his resolve is much less likely to matter. Finally, low initiative is fine on a pikeman. They frequently are playing clean up.)

I R SMART, when dealing with this thread, it's important to note that a lot of people in it have impossible standards for their dudes, routinely tackle optional post game content, etc. You can beat a crisis (and therefore, you know, the game) with a rag-tag company of the lowest variety of peasants, or a buncha dudes with permanent injuries.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's true that some of them aren't so bad. Missing eye or ear are almost totally ignorable for melee bros, except sometimes when you realize your missing eye bro in a full helm literally can't see in a night fight. Missing finger and nose are only slight disadvantages and you probably won't ever notice the difference. But pretty much all the rest except brain damage, the objectively good injury, are pretty crippling.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Veryslightlymad posted:

I R SMART, when dealing with this thread, it's important to note that a lot of people in it have impossible standards for their dudes, routinely tackle optional post game content, etc. You can beat a crisis (and therefore, you know, the game) with a rag-tag company of the lowest variety of peasants, or a buncha dudes with permanent injuries.

also they are savescumming a lot to get those optimal bros

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I would have kept the bro if it was pretty much any other injury. as for being on the front line; I've been putting newbies up front and trial by fire to see if they survive. really tho that bro should have had a spear and shield. I just like the looks of hammerbros

I also tend to gamble on ok-ish backgrounds to see if they get a good stat / star roll. I burn through more cash this way but 6 of my bros have at least 1 star in melee. I can't find another decent archer tho

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

punishedkissinger posted:

I just spend way too much money on bros :colbert: But then it takes me several hundred days to get a party I can even consider doing any bonus bosses with (not counting the Ijirok who is a little baby of a bonus boss).

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there something I can do about the lack of contracts? It's kinda disheartening spending half a day to travel to the next town only to find they're not offering any work so I gotta travel another day to the next town and hope they have work there.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Away all Goats posted:

Is there something I can do about the lack of contracts? It's kinda disheartening spending half a day to travel to the next town only to find they're not offering any work so I gotta travel another day to the next town and hope they have work there.

If you have the desert DLC one of the retinue options lets you see on the map what kind of contracts a town currently has. You'll probably be on like day 75 or so before you could hire them though.

Tavern rumors will also tell you if a place has a contract available but it's not super useful because it doesn't give you any information besides 'I hear [nearby town] was looking to hire mercenaries.'

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You can also just wander into the wilderness looking for enemy groups to fight or ruins to clear. You don't get the money for completing contracts, but you can usually pick up enough loot and treasure to make it profitable anyway, and even if you skip 80% of the fights because they're too tough for you at the moment it still beats walking from town to town not doing contracts.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

punishedkissinger posted:

Not only that, but at least one person has admitted to using mod tools.

I won't game shame someone for doing this, (Hell, it makes sense if the post-game stuff is what you find the most fun and you want to speed up the process of actually getting there---gently caress playing dozens of hours for that payoff) but it's worth noting to everyone new in the thread that it is a thing some people do. You can basically cut about 20% off of any given person's advice and it's very reasonable. (This includes me. No idea if this means that you should only take 16% off everyone else's advice... don't worry about the math.)

I'm right there with you on the scratch-off tickets that is cheap, lovely backgrounds. One of my favorite-ever bros was a Cripple I took through the end of the crisis.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

yeah obvs i have no problem with save scumming. this game is pretty bullshit sometimes.

i wish would just let you see stars or something

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I R Smart if you’re not planning on picking your post-crisis game back up, you should load it up and go hit up the black monolith just for the sheer :stare:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
uhh what is a black monolith? :ohdear:

I'm playing unexplored map. so I'm sure I've missed tons of secrets

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

uhh what is a black monolith? :ohdear:

I'm playing unexplored map. so I'm sure I've missed tons of secrets

One of the two legendary locations you can find in a game with no DLC. They're both bonus bosses, the other one is the goblin city, which is exactly what it says on the tin.
Starting a campaign with 'unexplored map' unchecked doesn't give you much info btw, you just start with a view of every settlement and the terrain around them. Doesn't show you any non-settlement locations, or what buildings the settlements have -- though you can guess pretty accurately by the description of the settlement.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

does anyone have any top tips for the cultist start? i want to become the ultimate cult but starting off with such crappy dudes makes it hard

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The sacrifice is chosen from the three brothers with the least xp, so keeping meatbags on hand will protect a valuable soldier from randomly dying in an event. Drowning the company in beer will prevent defection right after, so you don't have to limit yourself to only cultists. Eventually you'll be eagerly looking forward to them because your cultist bros will start becoming extremely buffed.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 1, 2021

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

being a little addled won't stop this bro from being a ranged monster. it actually saved me from spending levels on raising resolve

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Count Uvula posted:

One of the two legendary locations you can find in a game with no DLC. They're both bonus bosses, the other one is the goblin city, which is exactly what it says on the tin.

It shouldn't be too hard to find, just load up on lots of food and wage money and go exploring near the eastern/western edges of the map. You'll know it when you see it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

being a little addled won't stop this bro from being a ranged monster. it actually saved me from spending levels on raising resolve

brain damaged is easily the best permanent injury. it's actually a net positive if you're not playing with a mod that makes leveling past 11 better (since you'll hit level 11 eventually anyway and the benefits of leveling further are negligible), and arguably still good even if you are, especially on your sergeant

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

brain damaged is easily the best permanent injury. it's actually a net positive if you're not playing with a mod that makes leveling past 11 better (since you'll hit level 11 eventually anyway and the benefits of leveling further are negligible), and arguably still good even if you are, especially on your sergeant

Agreed - some of my all time best bros have been brain-damaged. Sweet stuff if you get it on a Sgt who already had 100+ Resolve!

I am one of the savescummers. I like to try and collect really elite bros, it's the cool part of the game to me. And it's actually impossible to punt on Hedge Knights at 5-10k a pop. So I use the Smart Recruiter mod to see everything about the traits and rolls. I then buy the bros I need to snowball, and hunt relentlessly for the really great recruits - martial backgrounds with good rolls/traits/stars.

I'm so into this I'm playing a mod origin at the moment - 'Men at Arms'. Recruitment restriction is the inverse of Peasant Militia, you can only recruit combat backgrounds, so no cheap lovely farmers, thieves etc. Your only cheap options are Wildmen and Brawlers. You are limited to 16 men, and start with middling-poor relations with civilian towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

vyelkin posted:

You can also just wander into the wilderness looking for enemy groups to fight or ruins to clear. You don't get the money for completing contracts, but you can usually pick up enough loot and treasure to make it profitable anyway, and even if you skip 80% of the fights because they're too tough for you at the moment it still beats walking from town to town not doing contracts.
The best moneymaking advice I ever picked up was to go out and get in fights and REPAIR THE EQUIPMENT before selling it - I never used to bother as I figured that each item sold for so little anyway, it wasn't worth the tools to repair everything before selling.

I haven't done the maths but i was extremely wrong lol, orc weapons in particular are insanely profitable for how easy groups of young with a couple of barbarians are by midgame