Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Famethrowa posted:

I miss early internet when no one really understood consequences because most of us were 13, or terminally arrested development adults.

this is one part of the internet that hasnt changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

this is one of the funniest threads i've ever read.

inbetween some guy going all Mr Robot on his neighbors you have people egging him on and then furious posts like this

it really has it all

It's great when the thread divides into a slapfight about how the OP definitely did/did not catch a completely unrelated house on fire over 6 hours after the first spike with more and more insane theories being given for how it could have happened.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

God, that was a beautiful self-destruction.

For what it's worth, having goons be unable to tell the difference between observation and approval was a perennial struggle in D&D, to the point where I felt compelled to start appending posts with stuff like "*and murder is wrong" because some enraged dingus would inevitably be too busy looking for libs to own to do things like read.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i bounced off bastion but hades was goty

Supergiant games are a little odd, because everything from Bastion on are very much style over substance, and pretty flawless from a design/technical perspective but got weirder and weirder as far as games went.

They basically took everything that worked from the previous 3 and turned it into Hades which probably solidified them as one of the best game studios out there. Also helps they're extremely good to their employees, no crunch time, weeks of paid vacation, 40 hour weeks max etc.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Aww. I like them even more now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'm still amazed that Darren Korb, who composes all the music for all their games and sings in some of them, is also the voice actor for Zagreus. And Skelly!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My one complaint about Supergiant is that games I like the best from a music/art/story angle are the ones I find the hardest to play. Transistor I love the soundtrack, I love the art direction, I love Red and The Man In The Sword, but it is way too difficult for me. Pyre I adore the setting and characters and worldbuilding and story but the visual novel/sports management hybrid is almost impenetrable to me. Hades is still very good, and they introduced God Mode for losers like me but I keep thinking "Jodariel deserved better! The Pyre cast should have had their own animated trailer!"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

pentyne posted:

Supergiant games are a little odd, because everything from Bastion on are very much style over substance, and pretty flawless from a design/technical perspective but got weirder and weirder as far as games went.

They basically took everything that worked from the previous 3 and turned it into Hades which probably solidified them as one of the best game studios out there. Also helps they're extremely good to their employees, no crunch time, weeks of paid vacation, 40 hour weeks max etc.

it makes sense from the perspective of both developing and experimenting with their style and building institutional knowledge about how to make a game that incorporates those lessons.

i personally loved Bastion, but couldn't get into anything else by them until Hades, which i of course put like 100 hours on.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

i personally loved Bastion, but couldn't get into anything else by them until Hades, which i of course put like 100 hours on.

Pretty much my exact experience as well.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

HopperUK posted:

I'm still amazed that Darren Korb, who composes all the music for all their games and sings in some of them, is also the voice actor for Zagreus. And Skelly!

That last bit blew me away. Skelly, Dusa and Hypnos are grating as hell to listen to. Like you said too, I think he sings a lot of Orpheus’ music in falsetto and “in the blood” loving slaps (even though it gives off faint Evanescence vibes)

There’s a really cool YouTube video with some Italian music producer guy who goes into detail about why Hades’ soundtrack is so good and it’s worth a watch it for no other reason than the dude’s gleeful enthusiasm while he joyfully geeksout. He points out that the “death” leitmotif is repeated over and over again within the game’s score and features prominently in “In the blood” - but harmonized with female vocals keeping with the whole “light/dark” motif and you totally miss it if you're not paying attention. If you’re a fan of the game and it doesn’t put a smile on your face, I’d be shocked.

Also, the guy is super talented and at one point goes, “hey this track is great but you know what it needs? Spanish guitar” …at which point he whips out a guitar and plays along with the music making it own even harder.

Edit: Here you go. Seriously this dude's happiness is infectious and I am gonna watch the video again right now because it makes me grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbzATTPcfQ0

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 02:44 on Oct 1, 2021

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HopperUK posted:

I'm amazed one of the reviewers I remember reading on Gamespot in the early 2000s is one of their lead designers.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That reminds me of a vague memory I have of someone posting a thread about people leaving dead animals in his yard, and so he set up a camera and supposedly captured a person dressed like a clown drinking blood out of a balloon. It may also have been that he thought someone was coming into his home at night and captured that image. Mostly I remember the poor-quality still image grab from a video of a clown drinking out of a balloon. It must have been taken from a movie, but I don’t remember anything else about it, other than that some people in the thread thought that it was real.

There was a thread where a crazy stalker ex would leave dead animals in the yard, but I don't recall any clowns drinking blood. I think it was the same thread that gave us butthole Greedo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Frank Frank posted:

That last bit blew me away. Skelly, Dusa and Hypnos are grating as hell to listen to. Like you said too, I think he sings a lot of Orpheus’ music in falsetto and “in the blood” loving slaps (even though it gives off faint Evanescence vibes)

There’s a really cool YouTube video with some Italian music producer guy who goes into detail about why Hades’ soundtrack is so good and it’s worth a watch it for no other reason than the dude’s gleeful enthusiasm while he joyfully geeksout. He points out that the “death” leitmotif is repeated over and over again within the game’s score and features prominently in “In the blood” - but harmonized with female vocals keeping with the whole “light/dark” motif and you totally miss it if you're not paying attention. If you’re a fan of the game and it doesn’t put a smile on your face, I’d be shocked.

Also, the guy is super talented and at one point goes, “hey this track is great but you know what it needs? Spanish guitar” …at which point he whips out a guitar and plays along with the music making it own even harder.

Edit: Here you go. Seriously this dude's happiness is infectious and I am gonna watch the video again right now because it makes me grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbzATTPcfQ0

Alex Moukala owns, he does some great covers too

e: also the 3rd-phase Hades battle theme shreds hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NBl9NXBT3g

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Alex Moukala owns, he does some great covers too

e: also the 3rd-phase Hades battle theme shreds hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NBl9NXBT3g

Yeah he does. This is my favorite of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJUdIgdDfOg

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

There was a thread where a crazy stalker ex would leave dead animals in the yard, but I don't recall any clowns drinking blood. I think it was the same thread that gave us butthole Greedo.

the phrase "needo the greedo" is permanently running through my mind at all times

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

New Super Metis posted:

the phrase "needo the greedo" is permanently running through my mind at all times

im permabanned user greedostuffer58

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Frank Frank posted:

That last bit blew me away. Skelly, Dusa and Hypnos are grating as hell to listen to.
When I first played the game I honestly believed Hypnos was voiced by Shmorky.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yeah he does. This is my favorite of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJUdIgdDfOg

Aw poo poo he’s a muse fan too? I love this dude.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leal posted:

Look some people are upset that Super Mario RPG is dead :smith:

It's not dead they're making a sequel right now!

Edit: poo poo this isn't the Switch thread.

Real post, I've been catching up on the thread because holy poo poo there were so many posts. I missed the discussion about emotional self harm but I read Ugly in the Morning post about that a while back and thought about my internet habits some. I trimmed the threads I read specifically to get angry (capitalism.jpg) and have started telling my news feed to not show me rage click articles (7 ways to start earning passive income in under a week. Number 1: buy real estate and rent it out) and my mental states been a lot better. I got on medication for my broke brain and I don't feel like I want to die every day anymore. Some days are still rougher than others but I'm getting better.

Len has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Oct 1, 2021

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Pentaro posted:

When I first played the game I honestly believed Hypnos was voiced by Shmorky.

It did not occur to me but I can see how you got there.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

New Super Metis posted:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
For historical sake given the recent news, here's the original pumpkin thread and the TFR reveal thread after the shooting.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1704519

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1711278

Notably by the first page the TFR crowd is telling him to gently caress off and leave and the mod actually does it.

this was the mod at the time

quote:

Wowzers, the things you wake up to. He had PM'd me after I closed the thread and asked if I could re-open it and I told him (rather nicely) that he wasn't welcome here and that his type of behavior made gun owners look bad. I still thought he was some sort of gimmick but I told him that if he did have problems should get help with posting and everything else. I'm weirded out by it too but I'm not going dwell on it. Anyone that thinks that TFR had any part in this is silly. If he had his mind set on it, he was going to do it.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 04:09 on Oct 1, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

For historical sake given the recent news, here's the original pumpkin thread and the TFR reveal thread after the shooting.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1704519

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1711278

Notably by the first page the TFR crowd is telling him to gently caress off and leave and the mod actually does it.

this was the mod at the time

That guy gets trotted out by the “close TFR” crowd all the time and it makes me wonder if they even read the thread ever.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i was surprised to see the chilling wave that went over that thread and how upset they were. the perception i have of old SA is pretty warped i guess lol

fun hater
May 24, 2009

goon from 2005 posted:

I wonder how long it will be until something tops this, though I can't think of what it might be.

ha ha

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Heath posted:

Illegal things:
Seeing
Noticing
Remembering
Explaining
Shooting gun's
Chargebacks

pretty lol that the SA master list of permaban worthy offenses is like

pedos
real life major crimes
dying
posting terroristic threats
threatening to chargeback $10

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That guy gets trotted out by the “close TFR” crowd all the time and it makes me wonder if they even read the thread ever.

It got trotted out, like, yesterday as a retort to the idea that CSPAM should be closed

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Don't chargebacks have disproportionate punishments because it can get the site in trouble with payment processors? "Don't do stuff that could make our processors drop us and endanger the functionality of the forums" is sensible enough, imho, even if the risk isn't that huge.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Herstory Begins Now posted:

pedos
real life major crimes
dying

Chargebacks are apparently a pain in the rear end and can get expensive. I get why Jeffrey permas people that mess with the forums money.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Peachfart posted:

Chargebacks are apparently a pain in the rear end and can get expensive. I get why Jeffrey permas people that mess with the forums money.

Yeah I get why, it's just funny

fun hater
May 24, 2009

yeah if you get too many chargebacks, payment providers flag you as a scammer and close your account unceremoniously. paypal loves to do this

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Does not contain enough butthole.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

pedos
real life major crimes
dying

lol

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

genuine lmao

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

pedos
real life major crimes
dying

The last one is dumb (also entirely correct) but taken in context, you have to remember that (some) goons are incredibly petty and stupid and would absolutely abuse chargebacks even if it meant they would lose money in order to own their posting enemies - so I get why it has to be a perma thing.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

genuine lmao

"you may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension"- nikola tesla in response to that goon, 2005

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this is one part of the internet that hasnt changed

it's considerably more sinister because the former 13 y/os that became arrested development adults are very angry and bitter and scary and the arrested development adults became rapists or pedos.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Len posted:

my mental states been a lot better. I got on medication for my broke brain and I don't feel like I want to die every day anymore. Some days are still rougher than others but I'm getting better.

breezed past in a lot of posts but hey good for you, finding a medication that is remotely effective can sometimes be a huge chore and yeah every day is a loving battle so take pride in what you've accomplished

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

New Super Metis posted:

I still think that was photoshopped. The action figure would show the top of the head and not the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The "close TFR" crowd in all likelihood has never actually read any TFR. Especially modern TFR, which is pretty much a conservative-free zone.

Same goes for the "close GiP" crowd. It's not a forum of psychopathic baby murderers, it's mostly just people who were psychologically and physically scarred by the military and hate the MIC now.

fun hater posted:

yeah if you get too many chargebacks, payment providers flag you as a scammer and close your account unceremoniously. paypal loves to do this

Depending on card company and payment provider they can also incur a fee of up to a hundred dollars each. Chargebacks fuckin' suck.