Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

What video games do you think have ruined the most lives?

I'm gonna say it goes MMOs, Mobile gatchas, and then Mobas, in that order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Candy Crush

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

99% of people would have a better time with Super Mario RPG and it doesn't require a phone book-sized manual to play.

I heard Ultima VII (a CRPG from 5 years earlier) is good but the font is unreadable and combat just kinda happens while you sit there and watch.

Super Mario RPG has a great soundtrack and a lot of variety from the platforming and minigames. Plus it doesn't feel nearly as antiquated as other RPGs because of the timed hits and lack of random encounters.

I remember as a kid it had a really satisfying amount of secrets/subquest stuff that was possible to suss out without a guide.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

poker

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

i dont know about "ruined the most lives" but if it's "lives the most ruined" its definitely mmo's since there are cases of people literally getting so addicted to them that they stop eating and die, or kill their children through neglect.

i think there have also been murders over mmo items

yea also this

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Caesar Saladin posted:

The 999 samey modern-military-shooter cod/battlefield games where the us military pays the devs to keep 'murica looking good and encourage kids to enlist.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There were at least a few bad counterstrike murders :shrug:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

dont forget about the gunbound kidnapping in brazil

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Hard to say, but I think the fact that ISIS used MMOs to coordinate possibly swings it?

PsionicAnt
Jul 16, 2001

Space Kablooey posted:

dont forget about the gunbound kidnapping in brazil

holy poo poo I forgot about gunbound

nak ftw

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I remember a stretch in the mid 00s where every day I'd read an article about someone just passing out and dieing in an internet cafe with WOW or counterstrike running in front of the corpse. It was wierd.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

goonfleet lore holds that at one time in the early days of the goon/russian alliance their people reached out to the mittani to find a titan pilot's home address so his power could be physically cut irl during a fleet battle. goonfleet lore also holds that this highly illegal op did not move forward, but that's exactly what they'd tell you if they'd done it, so who knows?

PsionicAnt
Jul 16, 2001
some video games I like; others, I do not

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Death Stranding was one of the best games ever made, had one of the most interesting visions, and the new Directors Cut completely loving misses the point on why it was good or how to improve it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Good thing I have no interest in playing the directors cut of death stranding

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Good thing I have no interest in playing Death Stranding

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Never heard of it, is that a new Nintendo game?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Taima posted:

Death Stranding was one of the best games ever made, had one of the most interesting visions, and the new Directors Cut completely loving misses the point on why it was good or how to improve it.

Oh really, why what does it do? (I've finished the first one, and don't necessarily agree with you, but definitely understand where you're coming from)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Death stranding is a very cool game but i don't need to play it again 2 years after it was first release or actually maybe ever again

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All Commodore 64 games released in the 2000s are kind of just poo poo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Deathloop remake has been announced for January 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

!Klams posted:

Oh really, why what does it do? (I've finished the first one, and don't necessarily agree with you, but definitely understand where you're coming from)

It adds a bunch of new zany vehicles to get around in, more action-based missions and shooting, a race mode that lets you race cars around the map, a way to just launch cargo to its destination instead of carry it, and it lets you build ramps to use to do tricks with your motorcycle. If you think this is a fakepost you're wrong

I didn't like the base game so it sounds like maybe it would be fun because it gives you tools to avoid the parts I didn't like (endless walking, climbing videogame mountains, going a long-rear end distance then realizing this route won't work, being slowed down by encumbrance, poor navigation systems in general, crafting, nothing to do for 99% of your playtime) but from what I hear those parts are all there really is to the game lol

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 1, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

But also one day I had an 8.5 hour supercut of all of the Death Stranding cutscenes running in the background and it gave me a weird sense of dread and unease all the way through and there's nothing about them I would be interested in seeing again so I guess it doesn't sound fun after all. Everything about that game just seems like an immersive fever dream and I mean that in the worst way possible.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

It adds a bunch of new zany vehicles to get around in, more action-based missions and shooting, a race mode that lets you race cars around the map, a way to just launch cargo to its destination instead of carry it, and it lets you build ramps to use to do tricks with your motorcycle. If you think this is a fakepost you're wrong

As expected of Kojima, its a complete tonal whiplash compared to the original version. It's like the guy has trouble staying on message with his writing. Is this a super serious game about connections and human empathy, or is this a wacky game where you deliver mail via cannon and are sponsored by Monster Energy? Kojima seems to be unable to see how one undercuts the other.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Or it was always a dumb Kojima game and all that clown stuff was left out because of time/money and not because of tone.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Stay on the message Kojima you idiot.

Pees on a mushroom

NO KOJIMA NO!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Archer666 posted:

As expected of Kojima, its a complete tonal whiplash compared to the original version. It's like the guy has trouble staying on message with his writing. Is this a super serious game about connections and human empathy, or is this a wacky game where you deliver mail via cannon and are sponsored by Monster Energy? Kojima seems to be unable to see how one undercuts the other.

Have you ever played a Hideo Kojima game

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

People are always telling Kojima to be less weird and to become more boring and its stupid.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

The 3DO Road Rash had a soundtrack by Soundgarden, Therapy? and Monster Magnet and it owned so much. I'm sure the game would now be unplayably bad though.

32-bit Road Rash is still really fun. There's just something about the controls that just feels really good.

Road Rash 64 is a lot of fun too. Despite the typical N64 fog it still stands out in my memory as one of the first open world games I've played, where you can ignore the race and just explore the whole island. The fact you can do a wheelie and ramp off an oncoming car alone makes it worth playing.

The Megadrive games are alright but they run much smoother if you overclock the CPU to 400%.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

poverty goat posted:

goonfleet lore holds that at one time in the early days of the goon/russian alliance their people reached out to the mittani to find a titan pilot's home address so his power could be physically cut irl during a fleet battle. goonfleet lore also holds that this highly illegal op did not move forward, but that's exactly what they'd tell you if they'd done it, so who knows?

that was back when i still played, iirc the powerline cutting was planned by Red Alliance, goonswarms russian allies at the time. i think their leader was some kinda natural gas oligarch('s son?) or something :v:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

If you think this is a fakepost you're wrong

I... Yeah, wow.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But I am.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Is this unpopular? The only Souls-like I've ever truly enjoyed is Blasphemous, goddamn that game is great.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

mgsV really turned me off kojima. even though the game itself was good, it felt like a boring kind of pretentious had taken over from the fun kind he had before. mgsV was full of ridiculous crap but it was all played in a lifeless sort of way where nothing connected, and obviously it was an unfinished too so that didn't help.

the stuff i've seen from death stranding has that same kind of tone to it and i don't really like the real life actor stuff, either. it seems like his energy is going towards creating this shallow appearance of auteurship rather than just coming up with a bunch of ideas like he did in mgs prior to 5.

could be wrong, i might try death stranding one day but nothing about it appeals to me. it looks like a bunch of bullshit.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

tripwood posted:

Is this unpopular? The only Souls-like I've ever truly enjoyed is Blasphemous, goddamn that game is great.

The Souls games have a thing a bit like people say with exercise, where you just have to push through the wall and then it's great. I loving hate exercise and no amount of 'pushing through' makes it ok. But I've found it with the Souls games. Blasphemous doesn't really have it the same way. It has some hard parts, and it's obscure a lot of the time in the same way, but it's not got that "How the gently caress could I EVER actually do this, is this seriously like this?" element. And, it's not as if it's just 'hard'. It's easy to say, y'know, GIT GUD or whatever, but honestly I'm kinda poo poo and finished them all anyway, there's certainly an amount of just, how much banging your head against a wall is fun. Which, Blasphemous doesn't really have.

Blasphemous is loving amazing.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Death Stranding is actually a really unique and creative game. There really isn't anything like it. But its something you kinda have to meet at its own terms. Its a lot more fun than it looks, the general pathfinding gameplay is compelling enough to justify its length.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

!Klams posted:

The Souls games have a thing a bit like people say with exercise, where you just have to push through the wall and then it's great. I loving hate exercise and no amount of 'pushing through' makes it ok. But I've found it with the Souls games. Blasphemous doesn't really have it the same way. It has some hard parts, and it's obscure a lot of the time in the same way, but it's not got that "How the gently caress could I EVER actually do this, is this seriously like this?" element. And, it's not as if it's just 'hard'. It's easy to say, y'know, GIT GUD or whatever, but honestly I'm kinda poo poo and finished them all anyway, there's certainly an amount of just, how much banging your head against a wall is fun. Which, Blasphemous doesn't really have.

Blasphemous is loving amazing.

I thought the start was pretty hard since you don't have a lot of health flasks, by the end I was pretty much steam-rolling the bosses and thinking "Nothing can stop me now" and then I met Crisanta. That was such a brilliant fight, you really have to buckle down and get down to it. She is the real last boss, I owned the next dude pretty bad in one shot but Crisanta, she schooled me about 4 times in a row like a chump. One of the best boss fights in any metroidvania I've ever played.

Also, the challenge rooms were really frustrating until you learn that you can lantern jump by holding dash instead of down, which always caused me to attack downwards straight into spikes like 90% of the time. The game doesn't tell you you can do this though and that's a shame.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I was never going to play death stranding but my buddy bought it for me so I felt obligated to give it a try. I really wanted to hate it but it became one of my favorite ps4 games

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

(endless walking, climbing videogame mountains, going a long-rear end distance then realizing this route won't work, being slowed down by encumbrance, poor navigation systems in general, crafting, nothing to do for 99% of your playtime)

These things are exactly why death stranding owns hth

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fallout 4 needs a zombie mode a la saints row 3 so I don't have to listen to the pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Tbh I didnt really care about all the kojima stuff in death stranding but the gameplay is ace